Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

stereobreadsticks posted:

Holy crap, you can swim in the water in that ship level? Also, holy crap the World 3 map is Japan. I got this game when it came out in 1990 and I never realized either of those two things until this video.

More than that, you can swim UNDER the ships and bypass all the hard stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Wouldn't it be a hotel for chain chomps?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I wanted to note that the feather can be pretty drat useful on a certain battle mode map. You jump into the middle of a square that is completely protected with a red shell and can camp out and snipe your enemy. If I recall correctly, you can also use it to introduce a shortcut or two in races.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
That just means that you're overdue and need to be on guard more than ever.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I just going to leave this little reminder of 90's Yoshi's Island awesome.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
"bits" for consoles is a fairly nebulous thing as it could be referring to one of several components, but I think typically it's talking about the graphics processor. The more bits you had the more colors you could create.

8 bits means there are a total of 256 (2^8) different colors to choose from (though NES couldn't display them all at once and had to opt for limited palletes that chose from these 256 colors)
16 bits means there are up to 65,535 (2^16) different color values to choose from, allow much more subtle gradients.
32 bit allows even more, though much of that usually ends up going toward various transparency values so that one color can overlap with one in the background.

It could also be referring to the CPU processor, meaning it could churn higher or more precise numbers when calculating things for the game, such as position within the game map or whatnot.

By the time of the 64 the architecture of system was getting more complex and the exact benefits you got from one processor vs another being 64 bit gets difficult to describe. I think the speed of the processor was probably vastly more important than the number of bits in this case, and I'm not sure why they found it so important to have 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Maybe there just needs to be an overarching category of "sandwiches and wraps". Basically it would include tacos, hotdogs, sandwiches, kolaches, etc.

• Locked thread