Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You'd also sometimes you'd get the kind of cheats that could cause weird bugs, or make the game unwinnable, or straight up make the system crash, and I imagine modern certification guidelines tend to frown on that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for you to get to YoCo. Please support esports.

Edit: required watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

I'm still amazed that the pro YoCo scene didn't go mainstream after the 2011 EC. That poo poo was incredible.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FinalGamer posted:

I can't wait until we get to the Mario RPGs and try to break down the royal autocracy of the Mushroom Kingdom. Cuz seriously, what the hell is their economy like when gold coins can be found in any magical block in the world?

If you think that's bad, just wait until we get to Super Mario no Illuminati.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

I honestly didnt know that Vinci was a place and in the moment thought that Vinci could somehow mean Venice. Or something. It wasnt super smart.

I'll remind you all that the hundred years' war was actually 117 years long and that all things are not as they seem.
If you know a little bit about linguistics but not a lot about a particular language or the various names for a particular place, it's not at all implausible to imagine that, for instance, "Vinci" might be the genitive form of the 15th-century Italian name for Venice. It's not, but it's not that far out there.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You were exactly right when you guessed that the first puzzles are Japanese characters; the first eight are the ones that make up the phrase "Mario's Picross".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've seen as much Sailor Moon as Keith, or less, but I remember making the joke that Sailor Mars should have ice magic instead of fire magic because, as Elton John taught us, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids - in fact, it's cold as hell.

The person I told this joke to told me, without knowing anything about Sailor Moon, "It's because the Japanese name for Mars has 'fire' in it, you dingus." Checks out. Sailor Mercury has water magic. I never saw them, but I assume Sailors Saturn, Jupiter and Venus have earth, wood and metal magic respectively. Though I don't know what metal magic looks like. Maybe she fights by busting out sick guitar solos.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, the only Nintendo 64 golf game worth mentioning is Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Australian schools don't have cafeteria the way Americans know them, so I've never seen a real food fight either.

This comment will make sense whenever Kyle gets around to posting the latest episode here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How was your experience with Soylent, Keith? I don't think you ever followed up on that in a video.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

it was fantastic and the only reason im not still on it is because they were on back order (of the powder) for 3 months. i plan to return to it next month
That's cool. I was talking to someone about it the other day. I was interested in trying it, but you can't get it in Australia, and I didn't want to get involved in under-the-table black market Soylent smuggling. That's a bad scene.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Some quality boner-related editing in this episode.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What is this "That's a clue" recurring bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

It's literally nothing. I think we made an offhand joke about finding clues in maybe the Jet Grind Radio video and we just kept saying it.
Speaking of, I just got around to watching those videos tonight. I noticed someone in your Youtube comments being extremely wrong about this, so I wanted to bring it up: "Tokyo-to" is just the full official name of Tokyo in Japanese. The second "to" means "metropolis", in this context.

In the specific case of Jet Set Radio, there's a bit more to it than that, and Kyle was still right that the game doesn't take place in the real Tokyo, but that's not why. That wasn't, in fact, a clue.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 18, 2017

• Locked thread