Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aces High posted:

as someone who never played Super Mario Kart what are the coins for? The only racing game I played that also had something like that was Mickey's Speedway USA and that was just a "if you have 10 or more rings you will go slightly faster". Is that a similar deal here?

Yeah; or at least that's what the booklet said. If it did increase your speed, it was imperceptible.

And I think you got it figured out, but that feather is just to do a big jump. There are a few levels where you can get a shortcut by doing it.
EDIT: Oh, you figured it out with 2 mins left to go on the video. That'll learn me.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The only way I can wrap my head around 4chan memes like that, and popular, JPEG artifact-filled Facebook memes is that there's some sort of natural selection going on. No goal, no intelligent design; just... some stupid "nothings" hit people in a certain way and they take off and evolve. 4chan is like some sort of primordial ooze.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I had the exact same experience with Joe Schmo; I think it's still my favorite "reality" show.

It got so meta as it went on, because the show became more and more about the cast and crew completely unraveling about what a great person Joe was, and being riddled with guilt. And then in the finale, they're all sobbing, "Our friendship WAS real Joe!" etc. It was really something.

And then the "What is going on?!" line, I swear to god they put that soundbyte in other shows, like after the credits when showing the Spike logo for years to come.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 8, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Somethingdumb posted:

The Goonies is awesome if you've already seen the Goonies a bunch as a kid, yeah

I somehow didn't see the Goonies or The Never Ending Story until I was in my late 20's. Goonies kinda blew, but I could see loving it as a kid. Never Ending Story, though, I was caught up in that story. I woulda loved that business as a kid.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dark Cohomology posted:

I guess it gets too far from Mario, but Battleclash and its sequel Falcon's Revenge are really, really cool Super Scope games.

Yeah, the 2nd one, Metal Combat, was one of my favorite SNES games. I don't know if it holds up 15~ years later, but that was the most fun I ever had with the Super Scope - the only fun, now that I think on it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Lemur Crisis posted:

On-topic since political correctness has been mentioned in videos: This Keith effortpost is kind of really good.

I see you put a moratorium on actually discussing this, but I just saw the post today and wanted to say it's really great. Well done, man.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If you take Super Mario World (usually in contention with SMB3 for the best mario game out there), and then add awesome visual style, several gameplay mechanics, collectibles, and more variation between worlds, then you have Yoshi's Island. I really can't even buy the argument that this game is "getting by" on being cute and charming. I mean you can dislike what's been added, but it's got a lot of solid poo poo going on.

ArchWizard posted:

It's like asking Einstein why the chicken crossed the road, you know?

This works on two levels.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

darealkooky posted:

this makes zero sense, the two games play differently in literally every single aspect besides a few shared enemies, even down to the basic physics behind how your character moves

saying something like "If you take Super Mario World (usually in contention with SMB3 for the best mario game out there), and then add awesome visual style, several gameplay mechanics, collectibles, and more variation between worlds, then you have Sonic 3" makes the same amount of sense

Yeah, except not though. If you took away eggs, ground pound, jump floating, "up" tonguing, stars and red coins, this game would play identically to Super Mario World. And even then, you'd still have a more interesting variation of characters and graphics.

The point is that the core of the game is based off of a pretty-universally well-regarded game, and when people say it's "just cute", it's absurd.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

"Does not skid 2/10"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Sure we can list things semantically like that. But a more appropriate comparison would be between Halo 1 and Halo Reach. The types of semantics you're arguing would say they're nothing alike because there are different guns and vehicles, and the existing guns and vehicles operate differently. Also, there are invincible teammates and armor abilities. You can't fight Hunters the same, and you don't have Cortana.

The core game mechanic is the same, and yes, Yoshi's Island's basic running and jumping, and level design is basically copy-pasted from SMW.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, I hear you. I'm doing a lovely job getting my point across. I'll just re-iterate my original point:

I think the idea that YI is just a pretty-yet-hollow game is baseless, and that should be obvious by looking at what core components it took from its predecessor - which I am now realizing is not as obvious to a lot of people as it is to me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RZApublican posted:

It's like what if you tried to combine the Genesis and Gamecube controllers.

Scaled up to Xbox controller size.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, as much fun as I had with a handful of games, I agree. It was so fuzzy. All the time.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

http://youtu.be/wCvSM8nBdiA?t=9s

This has nothing to do with your LP. I just like this guy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I once spent a really angry, drunk hour trying to start this game and not realizing I have to go back on that bridge to Bowser's castle.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Don't need HiP if the baddies are all dead. POW's where it's at. I did nothing but POW on him one game, and it was nuts what he was doing. The pain he was bringing.

Real talk: There's always one stat each level that levels up more than usual. Like Pow and Flower Power are usually +1, and HiP +3. If you see one that's more than that, it makes the most sense to pick that one - all things being equal. I hope this advice comes in handy for the LP you're done recording.

You made me want to play this game again. Ever since it came out, I don't feel like I'm really enjoying RPG fights without some sort of button-timed effects.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've been playing NemoNemo Picross on my phone on the shitter for the last year. I can't even produce now if I'm not working on a picross.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Eagerly awaiting Baby Amy and Gavin spinoff series.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember being real distressed as a kid that 2D games were gone forever, just by the way Nintendo seemed allergic to them. I was convinced that they were making bad ones on purpose to kill 2D games altogether. Yoshi's Story, and (sorry) Mischief Makers - which I hated at the time, but kind of want to try again. I had a similar fear in the early 2000s that every game in the future would be cel-shaded, with how ubiquitous it was for a while.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Killingyouguy! posted:

I like Yoshi Story, but the same way I like something like Animal Crossing - there's no challenge to it, sometimes it's just nice to do some simple activity while surrounded by cute stuff.

I understand this.

When I first played it though, it was the video game equivalent to taking a bite of cereal, and realizing you put orange juice in it instead of milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I actually like the damage-to-distance model in the first Smash Bros better than the other ones. Starting with Melee, it felt like players wouldn't start flying around until they took a lot of damage, and then the distance would shoot up exponentially - kind of like there was a damage threshold. In the first one, it was a more predictable, x=y type line of damage vs distance thrown. I just really preferred that, even it is makes the game slower, and you waste more time closing the distance.

• Locked thread