Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houle
Oct 21, 2010
All kidding aside there's speculation that video tapes can actually remain relevant in the age of...well all the ways we have to store information in such fields that require a lot of visual information to be saved for long periods of time. It's dirt cheap and new generations of video tape can record far more information in a much smaller space. I really wished that I could find a digital source of the article I read in the paper that was talking about future uses of video tape used in Astronomy and surveillance in general.

That and it has the wikipedia soapbox of approval it seems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape#Future_of_tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm still waiting for that 24 hour Digimon marathon.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ultimetalhead posted:

. Anyway, I do wish the upload schedule was more consistent/bountiful. I understand these are super long videos, but it would be nice to have a new one every other day.

I don't know if this is played for irony or not. In the Sonic thread people were telling them to slowdown

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Personally I am kind of happy over the break. I'm on vacation and would have a difficult time convincing my gf not to go out and instead watch the latest update - though she is liking your Silent Hill playlists.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Dr Mario is one scary universe to live in. Imagine waking up one day only to find that your prescription bottle just phased out of existence due to the capsules inside lining up the wrong way. Especially for something such as pain killers where you can only get so much until they assume that you are abusing them of something.

Going back a few episodes, I still say Super Mario Land is a great game of its time. The shooting levels are kind of out of place and feel very much so like padding but the platforming levels do feel like they were built with the physics unique to that game in mind. The latter levels can get a little difficult so I can't really fault K&K for getting frustrated, especially with the commentary fuddling with their concentration. That being said I found that the Karate Kid theme helps with those precarious single tile jump stairs...something about the tempo of cheesy 80s montage music.

Some games do still have cheats and the like in them, just not as often as before for reasons we all know - plus as someone who posts on GameFAQs regularly its community is very resistant to change so taking out codes/cheats would probably cause a ruckus. It seems like that section tends to be filled with the Action Reply codes and similar devices.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Finally caught up to the chat. I'm surprised that there was another Edutainment game to trick mothers into buying it. How many more of these things did the Plumber grime up to?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
My only experience with trains have been in Mexico where I either hear them eerily in the distance on dark knights which I find pretty unsettling or one time where I was going back to my girlfriend's house from the grocery store and we had to wait a good 20 minutes for a train with at least 100+ carts to pass. It was the strangest thing to me at the time. A busy intersection completely stopped. You would have thought they would have made some sort of overpass or whatever to bypass this but there I was...waiting for the choo choo

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think any public transportation tends to be disliked the more you use it. I took the bus while I was in University. Being jammed up between two heavy set people who never used deodorant in the summer heat while having my feet stepped on and everything wasn't exactly fun.

Granted I live in Canada - the population of my country is pretty sparse, even in my province

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

THIS IS THE MOST TERRIBLY SPECIFIC DERAILMENT EVER

I don't know. I thought we all pretty much had a good train of thought going

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

Between last year and december I gained about 50 pounds, but between march and this video i've lost 20. I'm usually about 170-180 lbs but right now I'm at about 215. Weight has always been a struggle for me (and I was big until about 17), so go gently caress yourself you weird douche.

I can empathize. I was the fat kid up until high school when I put a really concerted effort into trying to change it. In 8th grade, last time I weighed myself during those years I topped over 223lbs. I found that what helped me the most was calorie counting (I use an app on my phone that has a built in database of foods. That's what helped me stay around 175ish and maintain that while I go back to the gym. It's the winter that kills for me - especially christmas time. Just try not to get too discouraged

Anyway, changing gears back to Mario for a bit. I always thought that All-Stars looked a little...off. I felt like it was trying to take away the surreal abstractness that the original had and it didn't quite sit well for 3. I was indifferent of two growing up. It lead me to buy the NES versions on the eshop for the 3DS just to have the original aesthetics. For the GBA ports, which I do hope you cover, they added some terrible sound effects on jumping and throwing essentially taking what worked on the N64 and shoehorning it into prior years. Similar to the infamous Link screams from OoT being put in the Link to the Past port. So there's that to look forward to.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
As a kid I only ever got Iggy and Ludvick's references. Hell, even now I only just clued in on the "Ooooooooooooooooooooo" for Lemmy. The others are kind of lost on me since I never really think about the U2 drummer or ... well any of the others. It might be something that is lost on people who weren't in their mid-30s in the 90s.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I thought they established a while back that they're going to get their gal pals to play Mario Party with them.

Mario Party is the true tester of relationships. Every couple ought to play Mario Party before marriage. If they can get through a 30 turn game then they get hitched. Divorce rates would plummet.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

My girlfriend and I played Mario Party a few times for fun and it always went well, but we're on a break so who knows. 50:50 chance it'll either me, Meghan, Kyle and Nicole or Me, Kyle, Nicole, and someone else/the AI

I guess it depends on how competitive it gets. Truth be told what really turned from fun to trying to kill one another fairly fast was Super Mario 3D World. It would be a race between who could win the level while killing one another as many times as possible.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Looks like this thread is ramping up for Mario Kart 8

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Criticism's fine. BUT OH MAN HOW DID YOU LOSE A VIDEO FI-bluhlbuhbluh

I wonder how an all pod-cast LP would work.

(poorly)

I feel like GameGrumps would work far better as that since you can, for the most part, overlay anything they say on any video (actually didn't slowbeef have this idea?)

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The N64 did hag a Super Gameboy equivalent. I remember watching Video & Arcade Top 10 and seeing them use a device for the N64 to display handheld games on the screen. Turns out it was only released for media and devs. I think it was called the Wideboy or something along those lines. I guess they figured that the Gameboy Color was far and away more popular than the N64 so there was no point in releasing the peripheral.

Sort of funny now each console cycle people clamour for the ability to play their handheld games on the tv and then WiiU does it with GBA and peeps get mad.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
A fair point. I know the popular line of thinking I've been seeing is the hope that Nintendo will eventually merge purchases on all NintendoID linked systems seeing as how you can only link one at a time anyway. That and to be able to do what Sont does with it's PS3-Vita but with Nintendo systems. Just have the WiiU and 3DS synch up save files.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a full play through of MarioRPG. Might be a good game for a marathon. "Run button beats MarioRPG in one sitting and you like it." Could raise money for ADD research or awareness or something

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Watching you two play the ghost house bugged me, but not for the reason everyone else is going on about. It just seemed so familiar. I've never played this game so I had no idea for the life of me where I could have seen it from. Then it hit me. One of the New Super Mario games takes the whole level and only slightly changed it for lack of Yoshi mechanics. I'm now curious to see if any other levels from previous Mario or Mario related titles have been directly repurposed for other games.

As for the n64, I used the d pad a lot for Tony Hawk. I found it worked really well, the stick was only used to exploit the glitch that let you spin backflips and other special moves that you normally weren't supposed to be able to rotate. You haven't lived until you seen a 720 The 900. I never had a problem with the controls but looking back I do wonder why they went for that particular design. Especially considering that they didn't give the option to use the dpad for anything and button mapping wouldn't be a thing until much later. I wouldn't have minded being able to use the d pad for a few games.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not sure if it is a product of your increasing negativity and boredom to the game or just the lack of wacky side games breaking up the monotony but Yoshi's Island went to my most anticipated game in the run to just wanting to see it got over with so you can get back to Digimon.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I'm okay with this only being the youtube 10 min standard. It wasn't particularly interesting and given the pixellation and shades of red there wasn't anything particularly interesting to look at like, say a kirby game (30 years of kirby next???). That boxing game seemed pretty interesting and I feel like they probably should do ports of these games for he 3DS - but at a full colour ratio. Would make sense since the virtual boy was essentially the 3DS alpha stage tech demo.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, they said "purple", which is a red/blue hybrid in a sense.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I forgot all about Billy Hatcher, took me a moment and then I had a big "OOOOOOOOOOOH! The Yuji Naka game as he was trying to jump the Sonic ship". The forum I went to back then was really exited for a new IP only to promptly forget about it. When even the fanboyist of the fanboys completely forget the game something is up.

I think that was the best castle to date. Too often the castles are just a bunch of ghost house mechanics treating it as a whimsical puzzle - while clever - seems to forget that if the puzzles are difficult perhaps it's a good idea to make the levels shorter. A level for a new person who is moderately skilled at the game shouldn't take someone longer than 15 minutes unless they were dicking around and getting all the collectables/general exploring.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'll probably end up doing with Mario Sunshine the same thing I did with Sonic Unleashed. Start out with knowing how much of a slog it can be (I had the Wii version of Unleashed...which cuts out the few good parts for more of the worst parts), since most of my experience has been watching my girlfriend play the game or watching Gamegrumps hobble to the endgoal while borderline DSPing - only to see its charm and pick it up and play along with them and end up liking the game (the 360 version...not the wii version... ). I have Sunshine, and know that by the time they reach it I'll have cleared my backlog some to make space for it.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I can certainly see the criticism as K&K LPs are slightly different flavour from the other LPs that are on this board/archive. Usually if someone is messing up a lot they are told to do pre-recorded or take it to the sandcastle. But since K&K's banter and topics are part of the video its hard to string together a bunch of cuts without having the viewer miss out on part of the "experience".

Other than Super Mario Sunshine I think it is fairly smooth sailing for the next few titles .

I think one thing we can all agree on - at least when they get stuck, as frustrating as it is for the board and K&K it doesn't turn into a yell-at-the-screen youtube LPer shtick.

I thought that I had a good percentage of games beaten...until I started using Backloggery and realized that I'm around 40% through my backlog.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
While I understand why you would be defensive and express frustration at people criticizing the video(s) I feel like it is just as effective as it is with people criticizing said videos for you. It is just this cycle of frustration of "nah I'm right get gud" "nah I'm right be polite". With the ability of instant and direct feedback there is going to be criticisms and as with everything on the internet there is going to be a lot of over exaggeration.

People who use these vids as a background to hear a podcast won't mind as you two tend to have interesting things to talk about, those who care about seeing the games or loved the game as a child will be upset because there is almost an Egoraptor-like blatant disregard for contextual clues and hints then poo poo on the game for not pointing it out to you when it does. I'm not criticizing you two for that, as yeah, when you are in the middle of a conversation its easy to miss those things and kind of gloss over in autopilot.

I guess what it comes down to is negativity breeds negativity and when there's an obvious frustration from playing the game and feeling unappreciated for dealing with the game when it was requested there comes a reaction that matches it on that other side.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I remember getting all the way up to the last boss but never completing it. I don't know if it's because I didn't level up enough or didn't have the proper items but I just couldn't figure out how to defeat the last boss. It had a lot of neat moments to the game but I can definitely see why people would pass this one on. I do hope that you at least get to the silliness of a certain group...though judging that there are only three videos, and probably roughly 30-60 minutes long each I don't think they pop up within three hours.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Seems like the restaurant suffers from then pecking order. HR probably saw this, and rather than fixing the problem or talking to the problem cases decided it was easier just to give patronizing names and collect a bonus for a job well done.

I remember this game being really easy until a point then the difficulty being turned up on its head without warning near the end of the game making you hunt for the best items to finish it. Though this is my memory of the game from middle school talking here.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
You guys got me to check out the Manga, now I'm at the android saga. I noticed too how it kind of followed the same pattern for a while and Piccolo being the only time where there was any actual concern or worry. I feel like they wasted General Tao's potential, same with Tien. I really wanted Tien to be more of a character since Dragon Ball focused way too much on the Sayans.

As for Mario RPG, it was great and all but I don't think it would benefit this LP seeing K&K having to deal with a lot of the more bullshit elements of the game. A lot of it felt like filler and I only remember a few parts being really memorable and funny. If anything K&K should just find an LP already done on it and just do what they did with Super Mario the Movie. Just link up to it and talk over commenting on all the little things that is a product of its time. That way it wouldn't be a slog, K&K can do it over skype by just sync up with the video, and people who are die hard Mario RPG fans can hear K&Ks opinion on some of the more wacky design choices.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I felt the small crossover they did in the manga was filler. I think it was two or three volumes or however they were divided up. But yes overall there is a lot less filler. Though the early dragonball movies seem notorious with adding strange filler while breezing through the actual source material for no apparent reason. Creates some awkward scenarios in the American release since it makes it sound as if Bulma just has random psychotic episodes of rage and violence since they censored out all the sexual references towards her.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
As someone playing through Banjo-Kazooie right now I can definitely say that Mario64 controls a lot better for the most part. Banjo-Kazooie has a lot added to it which makes it more fun (such as being able to run fast and float in the air for a bit) but some of the most basic controls can be really frustrating. Moving the camera while running gets the perspective flipped and you change direction immediately. So rather than curving around an enemy you run straight into them. That and hanging up on walls while swimming...

As for Galaxy, I hate waggle and feel that waggle hurt that game when it would have been far better without it. It's an excellent game but I'll save that for when RunButton actually play through it.

I'm glad to see the complete shift from frustration to happiness. It's been a bit of a chore watching GameGrumps hate this game every step of the way (Well, Egoraptor - not Danny) so whenever someone gripes their videos I can now go "Welllll here's this vid to watch instead". It's nice seeing you two actually having fun again.

As for the buttstomp that animation is the first for a Mario Game (not counting Yoshi of course) as far as I can remember but its mechanics have been around since at least Super Mario World with the spinning jump or the boot from Mario 3.

I can't wait until you two put on your sleuthing hats and finally solve the 2 decade puzzle of L is the real 2041.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The whole thing falls apart during the intro sequence when they talk about an alternative what-if reality in a Mario movie

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I believe the implication is "between two consenting adults"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Most of my childhood memories of this game was playing with computer opponents. New memories are all about how much my gf and I can screw each other over in the most ruthless fashion while maintaining civility during dinner.

• Locked thread