Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You maniacs!

Only Keith could find issue with the term "movie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Here's the real question: Are you guys going to stream the Super Mario Bros. movie?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't even like golf but watching you full power blast out of bounds with your driver from like 50 yards off the green over and over again put me in the worst mood.

You have a full bag of irons!

Real hurthling! posted:

and now that i get to the end of the video you realize it and have made my feel good rant post sour! :negative:

Kyle and Keith are truly monsters.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

johnboy3434 posted:

I'm going to echo Zinco's skepticism. That sounds cartoonishly evil on the part of the executives. I have a hard time believing any corporate big-shot would deliberately throw away millions of dollars just to get rid of one bothersome employee, no matter how much hatred was involved, and especially when that employee had a near-perfect track record of bringing in the green. Rich people are petty, but they're not petty beyond reason.

It's actually more like the execs thought that Yokoi was tying up too many resources for what looked like a pipe dream, so they basically said "gently caress it, let's get this over with" and released it so they could at least get some of their investment back. Besides, they were working on the N64 at the time.

I have no idea if there were other underlying motives, but from a business perspective the Virtual Boy was a really dumb idea for the time, so forcing cost-cutting measures and pushing it out to release before they invested even more into development makes total sense.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kytrarewn posted:

Wikipedia seems to claim that Wii Sports was the most widely-sold game in gaming history at about 82 million copies bundled with Wiis. Super Mario Bros. came in at about 40 million copies sold. Then, Tetris for the Gameboy (35 million) and Mario Kart Wii at 34 million.

After that comes a whole lot of stuff at around the 25 million copies mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

gently caress me, let's count Minesweeper and Solitaire too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pungry posted:

Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart, thank you :colbert:

I kind of like Mario Kart Wii but my god how wrong you are.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The T posted:

Well now you guys have to start off the video that way.

Oh, it starts out innocently enough. Then it winds up like the Chaotix video and they say it over and over until ThisIsACoolGuy has a stroke.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dickey Butts posted:

No one cares about doki doki bullshit. SM2 hasn't even been posted yet. Shut up. We should all be talking about killing Bowser with fireballs; that's really cool.

I like the part where Bowser throws a lot of hammers.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What a bizarre idea for a game.

I knew 95% of Sonic games but Mario games are a totally different story. I hope you guys show off more oddities like this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sillyman posted:

Like MassRanTer said, it's not as much of a problem as you might think. You always have immediate use of one directional control (either analog or digital depending on what the game wants), six face buttons, the start button, and two shoulder buttons. Unless the game developers are crazy and expect you to use the left-side hold in which case you have both movement controls instead of the six face buttons. But I can't think of a single game that does that. There are a few that use the d-pad and L button as convenient shortcuts that you never need to press during the action but are there if you want to spend less time in the menus, though.

Isn't that basically just developers working around the limitations of the N64 pad, though? The odd layout of the controller isn't a dealbreaker, but compare it to the dualshock which allows you to utilize the entire controller easily. It may not be a limitation in practice, but had the N64's controller been designed differently, developers could have been able to get more out of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
And you're sure you didn't download a haunted rom or something?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kytrarewn posted:

I can just imagine being the kid at school who had a PC-88. Everyone in the class talking about how amazing Super Mario Bros. was and how great it controlled, and how the seamless side scrolling just made it brilliant.

And so, you push your parents to buy you this game... and the rest is history.

I think buying your child a PC88 can earn you a visit from CPS.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I found a video of the flying power-up in SMB Special and it sure is special.

"You want me to make Mario fly? Psssh, gently caress that, I'm just gonna recycle the code for swimming."

Holy poo poo.

That was, uh, ambitious?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

johnboy3434 posted:

Is it possible to be both ambitious and lazy?

It certainly is in game design.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tunicate posted:

Man, I'm pretty sure my graphing calculator did a better port.

Your graphing calculator is probably more powerful too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Deadeye Dick posted:

Someone posted this in the YouTube thread today:

Some fellow has apparently written a computer program that learns to play NES games by (long story short) testing random input against failure conditions. Turns out it's better at Super Mario Bros than Keith...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCurBYI_gY&t=460s

This is some straight up tweet-thievery. :colbert:

Seriously though, this is an awesome program and props to the guy who made it. Best part is, dude published a paper on it and made the source code available. So if you want to teach this thing to play your favorite game, you can (assuming you are a CS expert)!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Abitha Denton posted:

Just to reiterate, he published the paper in SIGBOVIK, the CMU prank conference. Which isn't to say the program doesn't really exist, computer people never fail to amaze me. The Color a Dinosaur segment in the paper is great, by the way. I enjoy that the last thing he cites is his own contribution to the conference in 2007, uploaded to the same account, which is very much worth attention too.

I wish Color a Dinosaur was included in the video. :(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ometeotl posted:

Can we not do this again? The gimmick was driven thoroughly into the ground last topic.

What topic? We're still in 1986. What's this Let's Play stuff everyone here seems to be talking about? Is it some new Usenet group?

My god, I shouldn't even be alive!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is totally loving irrelevant. You're all missing the big question.

Is plumbing an art?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FinalGamer posted:

So does that make Bowser Jr. the Tyrion?

...jesus christ i don't even watch that show what is wrong with me :cripes:

It's obvious you don't, because that would make him Joffrey. :colbert:

Watch Game of Thrones.

The T posted:

Kyle and Keith, I feel like this is your fault. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsr366dk14I

You're supposed to thank people for causing good things.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Were you guys actually knitting while playing?

Because if not I don't consider this a real LP.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
We're never going to get to Mario 3, are we?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ArchWizard posted:

Breakfast food discussion made me wonder what Mario would eat, so I looked up Italian breakfast foods on Wikipedia. It turns out people in Italy just have coffee with bread/rolls with butter and jam. Sometimes they eat biscottis.

I don't know if I could take the Mario brothers seriously if I went into Starbucks one morning and saw them drinking espresso and eating biscottis.

You took them seriously before?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blenheim posted:

Using speedruns to determine the Canonically Best Character as Whom Everyone Should Play is a flawed enterprise, as not everyone's play style is suited to a speedrun style. (And, frankly, Mario 2's such a joyful game that sucking the life out of it through the miserably obsessive perfectionism of speedrunning seems almost a crime.)

Actually I'm pretty sure this has all been in response to this post:

Deadeye Dick posted:

Meh... I'd be willing to bet that Peach could beat Toad in a speedrun challenge.

Also I don't care for either Super Mario Bros. 2 very much, especially this version. Frankly, I kinda hate this one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Obviously you guys don't have friends that steal your phone to gently caress with your other friends/possibly ruin your relationships.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Somethingdumb posted:

Dude, drop those friends immediately. That's a serious issue.

Locking my phone is easier and I keep a drinking companion. The choice is clear to me.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Real hurthling! posted:

Mario sunshine compared to 64 was nearly as out of left field as a sequel in terms of presentation, mechanics, etc.

coincidently, both sunshine and smb2us have no goombas to stomp

And neither are really all that great.

That's not a coincidence.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goddamn guys, didn't know "not all that great" was suddenly an extreme position to take.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zebia posted:

But that would require putting Waluigi in a mainline Mario game, and Shigeru doesn't want that at all.

What a fool Miyamoto can be. :mad:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You know, I was almost with Keith a bit on Fast 5 until he says people have an inflated view of the Rock and Vin Diesel.

Batman vs. Superman was basically the perfect description of that scene.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"187 what is that?"

God drat it, Keith, you don't stop (being terrible).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Choco1980 posted:

As has been said earlier in the thread, the :tinfoil: theory about 3 is that it's all a play, perhaps an interpretation of the first game...with some liberties taken. The game opens with a curtain rising, and ends with it falling you exit stage left into the darkened wings, in the Japanese version, the level transitions include both an iris in and an iris out effect. Also, note how the backgrounds are often laid out. Many times (especially in world 1) the segments of the level are literally screwed into the backdrop. Also, quite a large percentage of the "floating" platforms either are held up by wires, or follow paths carefully cut out of the background to make room for the arm holding it.

If this is true, it's pretty weird that both SMB2us and SMB3 are set up to not actually have happened in Mario canon.

It's fascinating that anyone even begins to give a gently caress about Mario canon, let alone the fact that they read so much into something that is so clearly just a nice aesthetic concept.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kunster posted:

Where can I listen to it?

runbuttonpodcast.com

Sounds like Kyle's got to ramp up the branding efforts.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think my favorite part of your videos is the bizarre poo poo that goes wrong in post.

Maybe it's just because I know you must have tried fixing that a hundred times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Patter Song posted:

K&K, I think you missed a Mario game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QXou6wIyw

Released 1989.

Holy gently caress is that ever grating on the ears.

Still looks better than the other atrocious clone they played, but the sound is just vile.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FinalGamer posted:

also, when do we start taking bets on how long it takes for K&K to finish World 8?

I've got a feeling its two more videos.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mikeycp posted:

Fun fact: Summer Wars is partially a longer remake of a Digimon movie, with more Koi Koi and less Digimon.

Having seen both, Summer Wars is way, way better.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Ambien never really worked for me as a sleep aid. It only helped me get some sleep maybe a quarter of the time. It certainly did weird things to my head, though; I remember one time having relatively strong hallucinations during which I entered the Internet like a bad 90's movie.

I'd definitely take it over Seroquel, which I was once prescribed for insomnia. That stuff's like getting hit with a loving brick. Turns out you really shouldn't prescribe antipsychotics for off-label uses.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

C-Euro posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else remembers the Dilbert cartoon. I thought I was the only one.

I remember it too. It actually tricked me into reading the comic. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Amppelix posted:

I was rewatching 20 years of Sonic and rediscovered my probably favorite exchange between the pair, in fact it was so good I had to make a separate video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcj2Q1TQ86k

I want this Kyle back.

Give it time. I project we'll see this insane side of Kyle again around the time of Super Mario Sunshine, if not sooner.

• Locked thread