Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Real hurthling! posted:

Getting the star at the end of a level takes a 45 degree angle jump.

Really? I just thought you had to be running at full speed when you entered the end of the level. Maybe that just makes getting that angle really easy?

Upthorn posted:

Thank both of you Ks for having the correct opinion about what the best Mario game is.

That's not World :colbert:

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Titanfall is getting a PC release

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jet Grind Radio didn't appeal to westerners?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

If you're looking for people to weigh in on their opinions about the civil war and the atomic bombs, feel free to look literally anywhere else then mario teaches typing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

On the one hand I do agree with this. On the other hand, aren't Mario games meant to be well-reputed to be the kind of game you can just pick up and play and learn straight from the get-go?

...then again I guess that really only applies to the ACTUAL Nintendo-made ones and not the...spin-offs.

It's not a Mario game, it's a Yoshi game :spergin:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gensis music is a whole lot of robots farting and then a handful of games that actually have music like Comix Zone or Sonic

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 23, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

we're on a break so who knows.

are you that guy from friends

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I seem to recall the bucket being a trophy in one of the smash bros games, to which I have to ask why?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

how does "this character has a vagina maybe" shake up a stale series?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Supersonic Buddha posted:

Assuming it's the main character (who loving knows at this point?), it would break out of a long-running tradition of always having a male lead character, which could trend into breaking out of other traditions. A Link Between worlds took out the linearity of the dungeons, something that hasn't really been done since the original Zelda... kind of. It seems to me like they know how stale the series has gotten.

So by making the main character a girl instead of a boy, that can maybe possibly make them change other gameplay stuff that will actually shake up the series? Then you use an example of a game that kept link a boy and just shook up the series by changing gameplay stuff?

I'm not really seeing how that answers my question at all but w/e

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Who plays zelda games for the story?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CDI had two games where you played as zelda. They really shook up the series when it came to gameplay, too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

It's not about the story, it's about the under-representation of women in games and subverting stereotypes that Zelda games have historically promoted

what about making the game fun

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

Sorry dude, but making a female main character doesn't affect fun-ness in any way by default.

Going by the scientific method, it would appear that making link a girl has a direct correlation with the game being bad.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link:_The_Faces_of_Evil_and_Zelda:_The_Wand_of_Gamelon#Zelda:_The_Wand_of_Gamelon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda%27s_Adventure

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

If we lived in a world where everything was already equal and a fair amount of resources went into developing games with female leads, you might have a point. But we don't, so you don't.

Sorry, but the evidence is pretty clear when there are a lot of good zelda games were link has a willy, but only bad zelda games where link has a hoo-ha.

Some games are just better or worse depending on the gender of the main character. This is why series like Atelier, Neptunia and Senran Kagura have literally every important character in every game be a woman.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

You know what would actually be an interesting move on Nintendo's part, rather than just swapping Link's gender? Have Zelda come along during the majority of the adventure, and to make her being there relevant. It'd make for interesting banter that we barely ever get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Spirit_Tracks

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

continuing the trend of nintendo never having an original idea, the mario vs donkey kong games are just remakes/sequels to this game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

yoshi's island belongs in the trash

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Monprr posted:

It belongs in a museum.

I actually agree, because the only good part of the game is the impressive graphics for a snes. It's like the mid 90's version of ryse where the gameplay is incredibly unfun but it looks really neat

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What specifically about the sequels makes them worse, gameplay wise?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

In Yoshi's Island the experienced player and the new player might as well be playing different games.

my problem with this argument is that all it does is lead to some neat speedruns, but seeing as how sonic 2006 also leads to neat speedruns and "might as well be a different game" in the hands of an experienced player, that means nothing.

the base game isn't fun so that you want to get that good at it, especially since as you just admitted the game never really NEEDS the player to step up their game the way something like say viewtiful joe does.

also, no amount of skill at getting past the awkward egg throwing controls will ever fix the annoying as hell jump sounds yoshi makes.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 11, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

sorry but all that fun you had playing that videogame?

guess what motherfucker you didn't actually have fun

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I can understand the mindset that it's not a great game if you have to 100% it to get the most out of it, I don't understand the mindset it isn't a fun game to play.

comparing yoshi's island to sonic 2006 is a blatantly unfair point, it's just fun to be extreme and make extreme points.

If you aren't super good at yoshi's island then it's just a mario game, only you don't go as fast and killing enemies takes longer and the levels sometimes require you to do some exploring stuff but not in a way that's really interesting the way say, metroid is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the shooting in metroid or contra is just fine, and you can hit every general angle you can in yoshi's island (and for the few cases where you REALLY need to aim, sure, have the crosshair thing)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

If you take Super Mario World (usually in contention with SMB3 for the best mario game out there), and then add awesome visual style, several gameplay mechanics, collectibles, and more variation between worlds, then you have Yoshi's Island.

this makes zero sense, the two games play differently in literally every single aspect besides a few shared enemies, even down to the basic physics behind how your character moves

saying something like "If you take Super Mario World (usually in contention with SMB3 for the best mario game out there), and then add awesome visual style, several gameplay mechanics, collectibles, and more variation between worlds, then you have Sonic 3" makes the same amount of sense

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

besides not having the cape, not having the spin jump, having completely different jumping in general, and yoshi doesn't skid the way mario does when he runs and then stops/turns

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

n64 controller was really good for 2D fighting games because it had six face buttons, too bad the only one worth playing (rakuga kids) never got a US release

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

man I forgot just how loving stupid this game is. You can't ever die (unless you get a brain aneurysm from baby mario or somehow fall down one of the games rare cliffs when you have a hover jump), none of the enemies are challenging because you can either just devour them instantly or throw an egg and kill everything in the room, and the exploration is dumb because it's not an interconnected overworld or anything cool, it's just sidescrolling mazes and you don't get any sort of reward for going through them besides getting to do more sidescrolling mazes. What is the fun in playing this game, besides looking at how pretty it is or speedrunning it?

At least kirby games give you variety in all sorts of new powers to trash enemies with and have co-op, in this game it's just the same goddamn yoshi over and over and over.

like, look at the boss at the end of this video. his gimmick is that he becomes an easier loving target to hit as you damage him but not actually any more dangerous, that's the exact opposite of how a boss should work

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 21, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

only in mario world you can actually die from enemies/failing to jump, every level isn't a ghost house and the secret stuff is just a singular secret path in levels that are clearly marked that give you meaningful rewards like cool secret levels or shortcuts through the game instead of how you're supposed to progress through the game normally

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

what this thread has shown me is that yoshis island fans are

- really into yoshis island

- smug assholes about it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

And then people just ignore the whole subject and complain about how annoying Baby Mario is because they don't think for two seconds about what happened to babies whose parents didn't think their crying was annoying.

You are literally arguing that a mario game having a feature that's lovely and annoying on purpose is a good thing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

In any other game a health bar would be fine and no one would care. If you had a health bar in this game, it would literally not be different from any other game.
It's the REASON that's important. You are trying to get this baby back to his brother, you are STRUGGLING through this island's treacherous ways in order to get the two back together. The fact that Yoshi himself doesn't HAVE a health bar, in that he can just keep taking hits constantly like a champ from regular enemies or projectiles, makes him more of a badass than anything else cuz he's a goddamn dinosaur.
But you have to look after a baby, and guess what? That isn't actually fun, but this is a mechanic not meant to be fun, it's meant to be IMPORTANT to look after this baby, it's vital because it's part of the story. The rest of the game is fun as hell, and I agree it's not a fun mechanic at all. Nobody said it is.

But it does make sense, it MAKES you look after the baby. A health bar is too impersonal, it's just a thing, it's there, people get reckless with their own health bars. But needing to look after the baby, that forms a bond between you and the baby in that you DON'T want to get hit, because you DON'T want to lose him either because you really don't wanna hear that crying or you just don't want him to get hurt.

I genuinely cannot think of a better mechanic for this context alone in this game than "protect the baby or else he starts crying because he needs to come back to you". And by better, I mean relating to the story because any idiot can program a health bar into a game and say "done", but that's boring. I'm not saying I like the mechanic, I'm just saying that it fits perfectly into this game.

Man I never realised how divisive this game's becoming, it's kind of eye-opening to hear all this debate.

You are unironically saying that a mario game needs a mechanic that's intentionally unfun because it's realistic.

The game where the cartoony dinosaur mutant eats turtles and turns them into eggs and can also transform into a car, and is doing so to protect a baby who sometimes dons a superman cape and runs up walls, needs an incredibly lovely and annoying feature because it makes it more realistic.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Point of clarification, Yoshi can only turn turtles into eggs if he stomps on them first to knock them out of their shells, otherwise he just spits the shell out.

nevermind what I said then, I take it back

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's a flaw because it's a lovely way to fix a premise that's essentially just an extra annoying version of picking up your rings in sonic

it doesn't matter if it's thematic and makes sense and has reasons for doing it when the fundamental result sucks and only had to be in the game because they arbitrarily decided to make it different from mario

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Who thought "hit this target with eggs three times so it slowly raises a thing up and you can get by" was a good idea? It's just 5something seconds of you standing there doing busywork.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You need to do everyone a favor and take this game out back behind the barn.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"I let this game get away with a lot because it's fun to move around in" is exactly how I feel about sunshine, and why I'm eternally disappointed galaxy was such a step away from that game instead of just being sunshine 2: we removed the dumb parts

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

why are you guys shaming random people just for being in love?

did you guys forget that #lovewins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"A woman wearing a bikini top is The Worst" - Radicals that practice forced female circumcision & Keith, 2015

• Locked thread