Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

President Ark posted:

The neat thing about SML2 is that it was one of the earlier gameboy games to have a battery save.

But if you didn't play for a while, presumably in order to save that battery's life, it'd wipe your save out.

I distinctly remember a Robotnik's Deadly Speed Traps-type explanation in the manual about how if you didn't play for a while then Wario would be a jerk and delete your save, or something like that. :allears:

http://www.gameboyland.de/multimedia/anleitungen/Super_Mario_Land_2_-_6_Golden_Coins_%28EN%29.pdf

You... might be thinking of something else? Or maybe there was more than one version of the manual.

Plenty of other things to :allears: about in there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

Couldn't you already download this for 5$ or something? Why would they release this as a fully fledged Wii title? :psyduck:

Does it have anything that SNES all-stars wouldn't?

Motion controls. Waggle the Wii remote to spin jump; flick it repeatedly to use the raccoon tail in SMB3.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sorry, when you said "will only be applicable" I got the impression you were referring to a future event for some crazy reason.

It's almost like there are other definitions of the word and there's no real reason to get that upset about any of this poo poo.

Anyway, I agree about all this All-Stars visual talk. Every time I go to play it (usually for SMB3, as it's the most convenient way I have of playing it at the moment), the first thing I notice is how much less I like how it looks. I never played the Wii version, obviously, because that would be a dumb thing to spend money on, but I hope the thread will at least show off what, if anything, is actually different.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MR. J posted:

Fish taco sounds like a horrible euphemism.

Well, to be fair, it is a horrible euphemism.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sethsez posted:

It makes sense when you're playing the game to have fun with it rather than trying to blast through the game as quickly as possible to fulfill a perceived obligation to the internet. It's a slower game with a heavy emphasis on exploring the levels and finding all the secrets, which can be really fun but is pretty much terrible for a blind LP when you're trying to get through a bunch of other games as well.

On the other hand, there's no real incentive for getting that 100% except.. more levels? You can explore as much as you want, but at the end of the day, the main goal is just to get to the end of the level with baby Mario in tow, which advances the narrative. There's only an emphasis on exploring them if you feel the need to, and they clearly don't. They're just playing a game and shooting crap, but all this shittalking about how they're playing it wrong is definitely proof that the fanatics come out of the woodwork when this game isn't treated as the best game ever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

I always felt that the TI-89 menus were extremely clumsy and slow to navigate compared to the TI-83 interface. Watching menus draw piece by piece every time you make selections and diving through three nested menus to get to anything was agonizing. The 83 had third-party software available for doing symbolic integration and differentiation anyway. Maybe my problem was I was trying to use the thing to actually do math.

Draw menus piece by piece? That is not even a thing unless maybe you never cleared out your home screen and used up all the memory. How is having menus at the top of the screen labelled by category a clumsier interface than the 83/84? Even when I turn on the apps desktop thing that I usually have turned off, there is no delay at all.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

you were warned posted:

Forced gambling, though. :( That's an amusing reward for landing on the bonus game, really.

Though at least in terms of biggest return on investment, they're betting optimally, since 0 isn't an option. :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TomBosleyExp posted:

and how little they have changed in the past 15+ years

The only really innovative thing they've done since then is add backlit screens with colours. Other than that, they're really not worth the price.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I like the aesthetic alright, but every time I go through and play Yoshi's Island, I remember how much I don't actually care for it that much.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I'm in the camp of there definitely being nothing wrong with them not getting all the collectables (can you imagine if they got all the stars in all the 3D Mario games?). not everyone cares about getting 100% in games, and as mentioned, there are other LPs for that kind of thing.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ikanreed posted:

You guys were chatting about how awesome moving around in Mario 64 is, but that's apparently the one thing Miyamoto insisted on. He wouldn't let the devs develop the rest of the game until they had a totally empty area where it was fun to move and jump around in. So the first several months of game development where just animating mario and fiddling with controls.

And you can see how perfect they got it because even to the modern day 3d mario games have almost exactly the same control scheme just smoothed out a bit.

I love how Super Mario Galaxy controls, but man, I would not go back to SM64. I got all 120 stars once and never again. they got it down after SM64 just enough that it feels clunky and awkward to me now

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Super Mario 64 is one of those games that was super impressive when it came out and great for the time but honestly hasn't aged well in many ways. the controls are a bit clunky, and there isn't a whole lot that it does that Super Mario Galaxy doesn't do better. one of the few things it has going for itself is that, like some people mentioned, all the stars are in the same level, to a certain degree, and it's more about figuring out how to get to them (there are some things that change from star to star, like King Bob-Omb not being at the top of the mountain when you race Koopa the Quick in Bob-Omb Battlefield).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zeikier posted:

Part 125 - Super Smash Bros.

Recently uploaded to their channel!

I've gone back and played the original after playing Brawl and Melee and it's pretty much drat near unplayable. such it is with old games, I suppose. my middle school had a game room we could use during lunch and it had an N64 with Smash Bros, so there was always a pretty long queue.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
goddamn there are so many Mario games

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

simplefish posted:

Can you turn on subtitles for cutscenes please?

did the Gamecube even have this technology?

I joke, but I wouldn't actually be surprised if the answer were "no"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It was right there in the options menu

this is what I get for making a joke before watching the video

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just wanted to chime in that I love listening to you guys and appreciate the LPs. I never had a GameCube so it's fun to see Super Mario Sunshine

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't mind the meandering but my wife sure does. I don't think she made it through one video, but then she also really doesn't like voiceover LPs--she likes subtitles or longplays so none of the actual game is covered up by talking

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The only thing that breaks my enjoyment is that loving baby Mario crying in Yoshi's Island.

b-b-but it's a game mechanic! you're supposed to be annoyed so you'll want to rescue the baby!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
in case anyone is actually getting their updates from here and not YouTube

Super Mario Sunshine Episode 8
Super Mario Sunshine Episode 9
Super Mario Sunshine Episode 10
Super Mario Sunshine Episode 11
Super Mario Sunshine Episode 12
Super Mario Sunshine Episode 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
in the last one, I loved Kyle trying to kill that wind ghost at the top with Keith warning him to just ignore it and run past, and then Kyle gets hit and falls all the way back down again

• Locked thread