Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Glad to see this is finally up. I loved the Sonic playthrough, and I'm definitely looking forward to see you two do another marathon of this style.

Just out of curiosity, for the 3D games in particular, are you planning on going for 100% completion or just enough to get to the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

NeoAnjou posted:

The 'main' RPG series: Paper Mario > Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door > Super Paper Mario.

You forgot Super Mario RPG. :colbert:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Wow, I've never actually seen the original arcade version of Mario Bros. in motion, so I had no idea how grating the walking sound effect was. Thank God that was fixed in later versions. As for the game itself (or the GBA releases at least), it's pretty fun for being a quick time waster, though there's not too much to say beyond that. Funny you brought up Smash Bros. as well, considering it made for the absolute worst Smash Bros. stage.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Gensuki posted:

That always seemed weird to me.

Instead of having a marathon that gets slightly harder, you get thrown in the deep end after you learn what water is. (gently caress yeah, mixed metaphors)

Yeah, I don't understand it at all. It made marginally more sense in the original Donkey Kong, considering the fact that 75M was considerably harder than the final stage. In Donkey Kong Jr. though, it just seems to lead to a large disconnect in the difficulty curve.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I know it's an old game and you'd been replaying it a lot for practice before the thread, but good job just plowing through through this game as easily as you did regardless. Replaying it for the Mario Marathon thread in Games after having not played it a few years, I had a lot more trouble than you did in the later worlds of the game. Also chiming in to say the Hammer Bros. are always the most dickish enemy in every game they appear in. Aside from the RPG's, there is no exception to this rule. :colbert:

Also, one thing to note about the pipe maze in 8-4 that makes it completely trivial to remember is the fact that every pipe you need to enter is always the first pipe after a lava pit.

Great job with both of these. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but I'm getting a really strong Penny Arcade vibe from the art style as well.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Tunicate posted:

Hey, you guys didn't mention this when going over Nintendo's history, but it's pretty hilarious that Nintendo used to have pretty strong yakuza connections.

Heck, they even made decks of titty cards back in the '60s, which is just totally bizarre compared to modern Nintendo.

Not to mention the chain of love hotels that they briefly opened up in the 60's as well.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

19LettersLong posted:

Guided Cosine wasn't actually female. "She" claimed later that "she" just said that "to win an argument with a woman." :suicide:

And we know it was him/her, because he/she was able to link you to the exact fanfic that got him/her banned. :v:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Shadow225 posted:

Also, where do you guys stream? If you have a twitch I would totally tune in to that.

Yep, all of their streaming is done on their Twitch account. Here's the link if you want to give it a look.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

In the same vein as some of the other remixes posted, I figure this is probably worth posting here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz_wYIHA8Qg

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Supersonic Buddha posted:

Would you settle for an 8 bit midi of Green Hill Zone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChLvXJqkLSY

Or alternatively, the Sonic Chronicles remix of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles final boss music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

MassRafTer posted:

I really wish they'd bring this system back. It makes for a really fast and challenging game.

About a page late, but they actually did bring back coins back in Mario Kart 7, as well as the upcoming Mario Kart 8 I believe. They also added a flare effect on the engine when collected to make it more clear what effect it had in game.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

That goldfish question was bullshit. You can clearly see that the pen is the only one that isn't orange. :colbert:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

While you're doing re-releases of old games, I demand that you go back and retroactively play Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. :colbert:

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 22, 2014

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

The worst/best thing about the name Wankey Kong is how easily it would be misconstrued in text form.

Also, if you haven't figured out yet. Unlocking the extra worlds in the All-Star version of Lost Levels has noting to do with beating the game without continuing. You just need to beat the game without using any Warp Zones. :v:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

19LettersLong posted:

THAT must have been what it was. Don't mean to spoil too much, but we didn't get the bonus world and I didn't understand why. But, yeah, it must have been because of that warp zone. Too bad...

Did it slip your mind to use the file that was completed up to World 9, or did you just decide to call it quits at that point for other reasons?

Also, 8-3 is bullshit hard, and gave me more trouble than literally any other level in the game, aside from maybe one particular castle level in the bonus worlds.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

PSWII60 posted:

Hit That Switch is awesome. The worst for me will always be More Monkey Madness. http://youtu.be/k_zNrltiuLs

It seems that the odd numbered extra levels are the frustratingly difficult ones, and the others are the fun difficult ones. World 1 had Poochy Ain't Stupid, but I can't remember world 5's.

Extra 5 would be Kamek's Revenge, in my opinion the hardest level in the game, though More Monkey Madness certainly isn't far off.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Regardless of how you feel about the castle music, at least it's a fully realized and fleshed out track that conveys the proper mood for the setting. The castle theme from Yoshi's Island DS on the other hand is basically :effort: incarnate.

ColdPie posted:

I don't know what you're talking abou

FTFY.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2015

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Sum Mors posted:

Depends on what you mean by "doing well". He did do a good job at getting through levels, but when you watch you can clearly see that 1. They aren't paying attention and 2. They aren't giving a poo poo about collecting things. I tried watching the actual video and you get frustrated at them not picking up things in plain sight, or not trying to get to the side areas. Watching them win the level, though, beats out watching 20 minutes of the same level because they aren't paying attention to the obvious puzzle solutions.

The thing about collectibles in Yoshi's Island though is that they're pretty much entirely meaningless unless you specifically go out of your way to get every collectible in a world. Given that that clearly isn't happening combined the fact that we've been on Yoshi's Island for entirely too long as is (over half a year at this point), there's no reason why collectibles would be anything other than a complete non-priority at this point.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is Tetris Attack not Mario enough to count?

e: To clarify, this is in response to you saying "[Mario RPG is] the final Mario game on the Super Nintendo".

Surely they want to wait at least a few games before inducing the Yoshi's Island PTSD. :v:

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean, what if I wrote long multi-paragraph descriptions of how my penis has a mole on it.

...Go on.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I don't know if they ever did this in a later Mario Party game because I pretty much dropped off after the first few Gamecube ones, but I always thought Mario Party would be better if there were like 15 possible bonus stars and then it randomly picked which three would be awarded at the end of a game so they are always completely out of nowhere and you have no way of aiming to get them.

That's actually exactly what they did with the later Mario Party games, from between 6 to 8 I believe.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Pidmon posted:

I know it's silly but I actually enjoyed the single player mode in this game - having to bet coins on minigames as you pass along a large game board.

Yeah, I agree. Simple as it was, I loved the Mini-Game Island in the first Mario Party, and I really wish that they hadn't removed it from the later entries (aside from 2, where it exists in a stripped down form).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Captain Lavender posted:

When I first played it though, it was the video game equivalent to taking a bite of cereal, and realizing you put orange juice in it instead of milk.

But then you realize you love it.

• Locked thread