Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Wow, that was the fastest I've ever seen someone get to the Mario bonus thing in Pinball. I played that game a lot a a kid, and I always tried so hard to get to it, but I lost pretty much immediately every time I did. :saddowns: Loved that ditty at the beginning of the game, though. Such a good ditty.

Wrecking Crew looks like a pretty neat game. I wonder why it never got more attention. I'd heard of it as one of those obscure early Mario-cameo games, but never even looked at gameplay video.

Not all of the Game & Watch games had two screens! Mario's Cement Factory and a lot of others were just one screen. :eng101: Most of the multiscreen ones did look like a DS, but some opened to weird side-by-side screens, like this Mario Bros. one:

There were also crazy tabletop ones. Lots of G&W info here.

you were warned fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
You know those mushroom platforms? I think they first show up in 4-3. For some reason, when I was a kid, I always thought of them as giraffe platforms. I mean, I knew they weren't actually giraffes, but they were somehow just... made out of giraffe? Even when I got older, I knew that didn't make any sense, but I never realized that they're mushrooms (in the loving Mushroom Kingdom) until I was made fun of for it as an adult.

The thing in SMB2j where the extra levels are only accessible after beating the game eight times is totally loving ridiculous... but maybe since it was a Disk System game, it was able to save how many times you'd beaten it, and then opened up those levels after eight times for being a super hardcore Mario nut? Still absurd, but maybe less insane, since I can't imagine them thinking that someone would just happen to play through it eight times in one sitting.
But, yeah, play the All-Stars version.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

quakster posted:

Play DDP instead, but act like it's SMB2. That way everyone's happy.

I'm just imagining them freaking out over the waterfalls for the entire game. :allears:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Is it an issue of size? I rather like the N64 controller as long as the game is well-designed for it, but I also have little girly hands. The angle of holding the center and right prongs feels nice to me, but I imagine it'd be annoying if your hands are large enough to bump together in that position.

Love that Z button, though. L-targeting in ports of Ocarina of Time just feels so wrong.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
SMB Special seems like it's from some frightening alternate world in which Nintendo was just some lovely no-name company that made really lovely PC games.
Well, at least the skull on the end flag looks more like a skull than it does in the real game!

BROS seems like something that kids would grow up to worry they might have just hallucinated, since no one they described it to would ever believe them.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I owned Mario is Missing. I must have enjoyed it some, since I remember beating it. Apparently I didn't care that Luigi had tricked me into playing an educational game. (I also played with a GeoSafari a lot, so I was just a dorky kid.) At least it has pretty good music.

That was the SNES version, though. I really hope they play the DOS version, because that poo poo is incredible.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I'm really surprised that I can't find a website with the knitting patterns. There are probably a million patterns for scarves/socks/wristbands/etc. with the 1-up mushroom that say "GEEK <3" or something, but maybe this is too obscure even for Ravelry weirdos.

I did find a pattern for a much more detailed Mario sweater vest, which is pictured on this page of video game sweaters. I applaud those dedicated enough to make these things. I knit just enough to appreciate how hard those patterns must be. They put in a tremendous amount of time, effort, and yarn (which can really get expensive) to make something that is guaranteed to be embarrassing.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Zinco posted:

Just make it fuckin' Wario and Waluigi. Come on. Just fuckin' do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

WALUIGI YEAH YEAH YEAH

Waluigi's crotch chops could single-handedly improve the NSMB sub-series.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Tewratomeh posted:

...and now I'm trying to figure out why Mario turned into a Mexican stereotype at 11:45 when he's told by Whoever That Old Guy Is that Peach was kidnapped. I mean he just goes into full-on Frito Bandito mode, then stays that way for the rest of the scene, in sombrero and bandoliers.

The jumping and shooting fit makes me wonder if they were going more for a Yosemite Sam tantrum, but, uh, didn't quite get it right.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Please watch this ridiculously charming thing I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eEDne4iS8

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
"King hat"? Seriously, Keith?

Santa with Muscles starring Hulk Hogan is a terrible movie, but it's probably one of my favorite names/premises for a terrible movie.

I finally got around to watching that burlesque video. It wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but thanks to the giant felt mustaches, I'll never be able to look at Kyle's current avatar the same way.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
They DIDN'T make it through Sonic 06, though! And some of us are still waiting for it :mad:

A minimum-star run of Mario 64 could probably take less time than Sonic Unleashed's Eggmanland alone, though. Without all the Saahniic! to boot.

As long as we're talking about both Sonic and Mario 2, check out the beginning of this. Look how far they've come! (Complete with "this was originally Doki Doki Panic...")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSJSNaLB54

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Oh man, I knew that short conversation about pit bulls was going to inject a little bit of Pet Island into this thread. Don't mix volatile subforums, boys and girls!

Weren't you guys talking about dog backpacks recently? Here, have the best of both:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I have a really lovely internet connection at home now, so I just watched this in a coffee shop. Which made me feel really self-conscious. My god, that's embarrassing. And yet I watched the whole thing. :(

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Blenheim posted:

Man, this game does sound different on other sound settings. We missed out on Interplay's answer to Charles Martinet going "On your mark; get set; GO!" (It's in the first minute of the video; later on, watch out for BIG SPOILERS for later levels.)

I had this game as a kid, but we had the sound settings screwed up somehow, because the voice clip at the beginning came out as a high-pitched WELCOMETOMARIOTEACHESTYPING!!! that scared the crap out of me. Also, I must've thought this game was basically the same thing as Super Mario World and that being so close to a koopa was about to get me killed, because I found the game itself too stressful to play much. Good thing I never made it to the symbols section!

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I couldn't help but think of this every time the child narrator said anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeRCsoufII&t=101s

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
But Mew was the first Pokemon-related trademark ever registered, even before the name Pocket Monsters!

Rhydon appeared (in an early form) in Capsule Monsters, the precursor to Pokemon, though. In addition to being the first one programmed in.

Oh god why do I know these things
:negative:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Even though I grew up with a Genesis I'm not well versed in a lot of its soundtracks but I gotta give a shoutout to the maniacs at Treasure for one of the craziest boss themes I can think of on any system.

:tviv: I feel like the early 90s just came out of my speakers and punched me in the face. And it was radical.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I feel like the differences between the defaults used for each chip are really evident in "meh" licensed games made for both systems. I remember renting the Aaahh!!! Real Monsters game for SNES, and later renting it again for Genesis without realizing it, and thinking "wow, this sounds like crap." (I was totally obsessed with the Genesis and thought it was superior, so it wasn't even the powerful force of Kid Bias.) It just sounds really primitive by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYaagoVEuaM&t=39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QlWA9FwxiE&t=32s

The SNES chip is really good at subtle and majestic music (see: every SNES RPG), but overall sounds kind of soft. The Genesis chip is really good at being :rock: kickin' rad :rock: but sounds like beep beep robot farts if used poorly. I personally loooove the twangy Genesis sound that the SNES just can't quite do. :)

Pneub posted:

poo poo son:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUPjvOguw1w

(The sound doesn't emulate quite right)

This is the stuff of nightmares.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Waluigi waits in the shadows... leering out... waiting for the chance for CROTCH CHOPS

WA LU I GI YEAH YEAH YEAH

Also, Stop Dots forever.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I think that's missing in your first-third talk about sports and hating neighboring towns is Tribalism - Folks form groups, like their group, not-so-like other groups.

My high school's sports rival was another school in the same town. It was in the suburbs, where all the "towns" just bleed together, so the boundaries were different (I technically lived in a different town from the schools, as did many of the students), but still, give me a loving break. The sports teams actually made a deal of it, too! "Hahaha man Other School SUCKS" even though they were literally a few neighborhoods away from going to that school. It's amazing how easy it is to "other" and then vilify similar groups of people.

Edit: there were no real socioeconomic differences between the two, either.

you were warned fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 18, 2014

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I was surprised to see that this wasn't the last video, and thought "huh, maybe they're doing the bonus worlds," but then I watched this video and thought welp :v: God, this game is brutal. I never played more than a little of Lost Levels 'cause I was like nope, gently caress this.

There are some videos on youtube of people eating the sugar-free gummy bears. This ridiculous fucker eats all sorts of questionable poo poo, and for some reason I watched him eat the whole bag, feel horrible, puke, and poo poo. He left an Amazon review, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjgaa5j_LE

"This is worse than drinking the three-liter tin of olive oil."

Sugar alcohols DO cause digestive problems for a lot of people, and it varies widely person to person. I used to be able to eat whatever, but now if I eat a hard candy with sugar alcohols, I get nasty cramping and gas. Bummer, since they taste fantastic for sugar substitutes.

I like those Monster "ultra" drinks with the raised patterns on the can. Well, not the red one so much. I only recently starting having energy drinks from time to time, mostly when I'm on long drives, and it feels like I'm knocking years off my life with every sip.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Man, considering how badly Kyle's been bitten by the collecting bug, I'm surprised he didn't just get an actual CD-i and the games themselves. :shepspends:

This is AMAZING.

Back in 2008, I thought that this youtube poop featuring the Hotel Mario and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon cutscenes was the funniest thing ever. I don't know what to say about that.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Youtube is making a last-ditch effort to save us from witnessing this game.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Wow, I never noticed that nickels actually say "Monticello." Or I'm sure I did at some point, and then forgot.

Growing up in Virginia means that all you ever loving learn as a kid is stuff about the colonies, so I was among the "yelling Monticello at my screen" set. Then I was thinking, "well, maybe that's just because I lived so close to Monticello!" but it turns out I was mixing up its location in my head with Mount Vernon. :eng99: I can't remember poo poo any more.

These have been some of the best videos you guys have done in a while, though! Good stuff. It's always amusing to see Keith subjected to something he doesn't like, but it's way better when you're both engaged in going "what the gently caress" at something.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Yeah, you can't just describe a couch pouch happening and take a picture of it without posting the picture here. :colbert:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Agreed, this was fantastic. The Super Gameboy and a second player mouse were a match made in heaven. He hit upon some pretty amazing palettes.

Also, I agree with Keith completely: gently caress all coupes. :colbert:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Davinci posted:

Maybe Kyle should actually play this game a few times on his own to help train himself for having a real kid

"Parenting is kind of a cult classic, but I don't really see what the big draw is. It's just not that much fun. I wish they'd made the mechanics less annoying."

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
When I got to the graphing calculator age, I had a TI-81 hanging around from when my (much) older sister was in high school. I asked my math teacher if I could just use that, but she said no, I had to get a TI-83 instead. :mad: I think the school had ones we could borrow, but I eventually got one of my own. I remember walking by the current TI calculators in Target a few years ago, and I was stunned by how much they still cost.

Ometeotl posted:

Oh no, gambling with consequences!

Forced gambling, though. :( That's an amusing reward for landing on the bonus game, really.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

TomBosleyExp posted:

and how little they have changed in the past 15+ years

Apparently the TI-83+ is still produced, and it still costs $94, with a list price of $150. :wtc:

That's what I got for high school 14-ish years ago. :( No piece of technology holds its value that long, ever! I guess it turned out to be a good investment?! Uggghhh.

Somethingdumb posted:

Graphing calculators are expensive because our society is set up to keep the underprivileged underprivileged :eng101:

:eng99:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
This game is significantly worse than the other one, due to its lack of I LIKE YOUR CHOICE.

Though I think the aforementioned Luigi-waking is required for this game to resemble a game at all, so maybe that would've popped up if there were any choices to be made.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I grew up too far south of Moxie territory to have even heard of it, but I went to college in Vermont and tried Moxie there. And holy gently caress, nobody I knew could stand it. (Except for one obnoxious and horrible dude. Nobody liked him anyway.) This was 8-10 years ago, but I didn't have the "I was a kid" factor involved, so I'll have to try it again the next time I visit friends up there. I'm sure this thread will still be around, so maybe I'll report back. :v:

One of the few things the South has over the North is regional soda. Cheerwine is delicious! I'm not sure how regional it still is, though. It's been expanding, probably because it actually tastes good.

Oh, and there used to be a brand of chocolate called Choxie, but it did not involve the soda. Too bad. It was just "chocolate with moxie."

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Dude... Keith... the Hawaiian Punch mascot has been punching people in the face for decades. :colbert:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Star Wars and also this thread

Edit: Lucas on Kit Fisto also sums up Star Wars fandom and this thread. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I DON'T LIKE THAT!!!!

you were warned fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 30, 2014

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Glazius posted:

Man, I know there was an LP of Rocket Slime, but I guess it never got archived.

Yeah, looks like it's mentioned on the lparchive.org master list, but it wasn't actually archived. The thread still exists in the SA archives, but all the videos were on Viddler, and they're gone. Bummer.

Echoing that Rocket Slime is awesome, though! :3: :3: :3:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I think it was the last video that had all the invincibility, not this one, but I feel the need to point out that this game's invincibility theme has the best name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZcCGPPN9U

POWERFUL INFANT :black101:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Somethingdumb posted:

God you guys are so annoying

E: do you not know how annoying you all are?

Do you not know how wicked frustrating your videos can be? :shrug:

I just do other stuff during the parts where you're stuck and mad and keep the video in a different tab so I can listen to the banter and rage. Giving these videos undivided attention is not pleasant. (Shenmue, on the other hand... I wouldn't miss a moment of that :allears:)

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Death Bot posted:

e: I was expecting like, a second video when everyone complained that you guys were gonna drop the game so early

I went to watch the beginning of the first episode to see how many minutes it took for them to hate this game. Instead, I was treated to Kyle talking about how much he hates babies. :laugh:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
loving fiiiiinally. I liked what little I've played of this game, but watching this LP might've made me hate it now.

I'm guessing there are still more side games before Mario 64, but I am so glad to see you guys move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Dresh posted:

I am actually pretty surprised they never played at least the first DKC. Not all the way through, but it seems it would have been worth visiting to see how Donkey Kong evolved from his origins.

You want a 30-min stream of complaints about DKC's pre-rendered graphics?!

• Locked thread