Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Astro Ambulance posted:

Who's the chick in charge of the magic submarine. Should I remember who she is?

Angel, real name Solano. (Lucy even called her Angel.)

She was a member of the Oración Seis and was defeated by Lucy. She showed up again as a villain in the Anime only Key of the Starry Sky arc as part of the Reborn Oración Seis were she was defeated by Grey.

Her most recent appearance was in the Tartaros arc were she was released by Mest along with all of the original Oración Seis members. She fought Jellal along with Racer and Cobra but was defeated by his ultimate spell. After which she agreed to help him. It appears because of Mest releasing her she has agreed to help in this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Also it's really obvious she's Yukino's long-lost older sister that was kidnapped by the Zeref cultists as slave labor to build their corporate headquarters on an offshore island for tax purposes (inb4 "Who is Yukino again?")

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yukino was around the start of his 2 year fixation on nude torture scenes iirc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogundar posted:

Also it's really obvious she's Yukino's long-lost older sister that was kidnapped by the Zeref cultists as slave labor to build their corporate headquarters on an offshore island for tax purposes (inb4 "Who is Yukino again?")

It's not even an obvious thing. It's confirmed, Yukino said her older sisters name was Solano. (Before we learned Angel's real name.)

Also to be correct she was not building an base for Tax Purposes. It was Slave labor to build a crappy looking tower that wouldn't do anything. (Well it was supposed to bring a dead guy back to life, but that's kind of useless when said dead guy is still alive.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 14, 2015

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I love this series.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I love that she name-dropped Karen as if that was meant to elicit a response from the reader beyond utter bafflement.

Oh that one girl out of the thing who did the thing? One of the dozens of replaceable evil girls? Okay.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I never know who the gently caress anyone is talking about. I call it 'bleach-fatigue' where caring about the plot robs you of enjoyment.

I actively enjoyed this chapter. Fairy Tail at its best.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Karen was the sheep celestial spirit's old owner? I dunno, I can barely remember that arc anymore.

EDIT: Yeah, and Loki's.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 14, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I thought new tits had just crushed the island into the sea with her IMMENSE MAGIC POWER. Shrinking it just seems less impressive to me. Same with how she's obviously just shrunk her lackey rather than turning him into dust.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I have never had as much issue remembering past characters and events as I have reading Fairy Tale. Even beyond bit characters that show up again, there are entire arcs that I have almost zero recollection of.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Am I wrong for wanting everything involving Alvarez and Lumen Histoire to be an elaborate scheme concocted by Zeref to get a date with Mavis?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I have never had as much issue remembering past characters and events as I have reading Fairy Tale. Even beyond bit characters that show up again, there are entire arcs that I have almost zero recollection of.

Sometimes I think that's the case with Mashima as well.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
In reading the spinoff Fairy Tale about Mavis and her adventures, we learn she will never age... It seems like something like this would be more popular among mages. Do you have to be a genius to screw up a spell enough to obtain immortality? That's what happened with both Zeref and Mavis right?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

|Ziggy| posted:

In reading the spinoff Fairy Tale about Mavis and her adventures, we learn she will never age... It seems like something like this would be more popular among mages. Do you have to be a genius to screw up a spell enough to obtain immortality? That's what happened with both Zeref and Mavis right?

Every drat anime has an immortal character who looks like a 12-year old girl. It's an unwritten rule or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

|Ziggy| posted:

I dunno why Mavis loving up the nuke spell made her not age anymore, but I thought Zeref's whole deal was that he was cursed.

Basically he's immortal and can't die, the more he cares about human life the less control he has over his death magic curse poo poo and it starts literally killing everything around him, and the less he cares the more he controls it but basically requires him to become kinda evil and hosed up. He literally creates monsters for the purpose of ending his own life.

It'd be almost interesting if he was characterized at all.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Zeref doesn't have much characterization, but I always thought it was amusing how many people are running around worshiping the idea of Zeref when the real Zeref just does not give a poo poo.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I watched the anime up until it went on hiatus halfway through the Grand Magic Games and until that point I had a fairly easy time remembering previous arcs and characters but everything after the GMG arc has been a blur to me. I'm not sure if it's because of the format switch or because the characters have gotten less and less memorable since then but the most noteworthy character of the Tartaros arc was Gray's dad because I like Gray. I don't remember anyone else except MARD GEER because of his stupid name and the torture lady.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Avulsion posted:

Zeref doesn't have much characterization, but I always thought it was amusing how many people are running around worshiping the idea of Zeref when the real Zeref just does not give a poo poo.
Exactly how much of this manga is Fairy Tail cleaning up Zeref related poo poo anyhow? Like, goddamn near all of it? The other guilds are loving useless.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I like to imagine every single guild has it's own Zeref-like problems to deal with and we just don't hear about it because this is kind of par for the course

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chapter 445

Well, you can count on Fairy Tail to never drag out a plot.

Man, Panther Lilly loving loves maracas. Who knew?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gyges posted:

Chapter 445

Well, you can count on Fairy Tail to never drag out a plot.

Man, Panther Lilly loving loves maracas. Who knew?

Ha, yeah that was pretty drat quick. It'll be interesting to see how they manage against enemies that have been shown to be next-level powerful, I can't recall seeing everyone owned by a low-level flunky like they just were on the island, and now you have a full 12 mages stronger than that flunky along with Zeref and whatever Acnologia may be up to.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
They just spent the last year training (Well, Natsu did) so my guess is it's time for another random powerup like Second Origin.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I am so confused. Wasn't Zeref looking for something so powerful so that he might kill him? And wasn't Natsu the only one that could defeat him? Then what's the point of stealing Fairy Heart and starting a war with Fairy Tail and Ishgar? Is Fairy Heart strong enough to kill him? Is he just looking for a fight?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

I Love Annie May posted:

I am so confused. Wasn't Zeref looking for something so powerful so that he might kill him? And wasn't Natsu the only one that could defeat him? Then what's the point of stealing Fairy Heart and starting a war with Fairy Tail and Ishgar? Is Fairy Heart strong enough to kill him? Is he just looking for a fight?

I think his plan is to feed Natsu an endless supply of mooks until he levels up some more.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I Love Annie May posted:

His relationship with Acnologia is what confuses me. If all Zeref cares about is dying, what's his beef with the dragon? If he feels that Acnologia requires this huge empire and possibly also Fairy Heart to beat, shouldn't he be strong enough to kill Zeref? Or is Acnologia's life tied to Zeref somehow, and Zeref needs either his forces or Natsu to finish the dragon off in order for him to die? And hell, what does Acnologia even want? If he's really this strong and just wanted to conquer the world it seems like he should be able to, but then the showing he's made in his few appearances isn't amazing either.

Also, still waiting on the significance of Lucy's mom dying when the dragons disappeared Mashima, or was that just entirely scrapped

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I kind of like Acnologia as a mostly unrelated vaguely malevolent third party who shows up every once in awhile to gently caress things up for both sides. Like the guild keeps winding up in conflicts with these groups dedicated to Zeref or his demons in some way or another (apparently by design, as we just found out) but then there's also the whole dragons/dragon slayers/Acnologia subplot that's fairly interesting, at least for Fairy Tail standards.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also Acnologia is an avatar of destruction and Zeref deeply cares about life even if he does have to pretend not to.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
The desert guy on this month's scary-go-round has almost the exact same design as that drunk enemy dude from the magic games. Wow.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think they explained there is some sort of three-way shindig that Zeref wants to get going on, but it's a bit further back and /fairy tail

I liked this chapter though. I like when Fairy Tail is just like poo poo GOES DOWN... NOW

Simoom posted:

The desert guy on this month's scary-go-round has almost the exact same design as that drunk enemy dude from the magic games. Wow.
You're going to need to be more specific, my eyeballs just slip right off the "soon to be punched with captions" mugshots.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine these idiots know zeref is death incarnate and are cool with that for some reason. Because zeref somehow just attracts loyal followers despite never appearing before them without killing them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Natsu punching more dragons so he becomes one to fight Zeref and/or acnologia would be good, imo

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I think because Acnologia could potentially kill Natsu, who is the only demon capable of killing Zeref.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Newest issue is out, and it's running ahead full steam as to be expected. Still, it was nice to see Lucy getting a kind of cool outfit and being vaguely useful and competent. I'm hoping she gets a full fight using the Star Dresses at some point - they're a cool concept, even if fairly similar to exquiping.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the dress thing is mostly just because the majority of her summons are silly looking and instantly jobbed out half the time. Also more excuses to come up with ever skimpier outfits rather than contriving a reason to blast her clothes off over and over and over.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Why didn't she use her Scorpio form to fight the sand guy?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

kohon posted:

Why didn't she use her Scorpio form to fight the sand guy?

"It's not very effective"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm disappointed that Natsu didn't just turn all the sand into glass. I mean, the shot of them standing in the dissipating dust with their guild tats popping back into fairs instead of Caitshelter thingies was a good shot. But dude was using sand against Mr. Fire, that's a gimme.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Gyges posted:

I'm disappointed that Natsu didn't just turn all the sand into glass. I mean, the shot of them standing in the dissipating dust with their guild tats popping back into fairs instead of Caitshelter thingies was a good shot. But dude was using sand against Mr. Fire, that's a gimme.

I was also wondering why it didn't turn into glass. Not as flashy I guess.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

kohon posted:

I was also wondering why it didn't turn into glass. Not as flashy I guess.

Natsu hits the ground, sand flies everywhere(mainly off the rest of the guild), fire happens, glass sculpture of fairy tail's emblem appears with everyone standing. There, I made it flashy. All it needs is Lucy with torn clothes and it has all basic elements of a FT chapter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The others aren't fireproof, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did Wendy who blow the sand away? It would explain the lack of glass and charred people.

• Locked thread