Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PFlats posted:

I'm 50/50 between that and Celestial Spirit world. Dragons makes the most sense, but then why is Lucy the one who closes it?

Why can't it be dragons from the spirit world? Zodiac keys were used to unlock the gate, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

On the last page, Lucy appears to have mind control eyes going on. I don't believe she's in charge of her body right now.

You are overthinking it. Rogue is a villain, Lucy is a member of FT. Anything he wants to do should be avoided, while Lucy can't do anything too bad. A story where one of the good guys is legitimately responsible for wiping out civilization isn't going to happen in this manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We can assume that there will be dragons and there will be destruction, but everything else is unclear. I'm guessing that when future-Lucy did this, she didn't have her guild with her so whatever the hell she did wasn't successful. This time, she is surrounded by people who can punch their way through most situations so everything will work out all right.

In other words, all of the mysteries and plot devices aren't terribly important because the situation will be resolved via Natsu punching someone like always.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eh, it is magic. You can probably safely assume that these energy blasts would have been able to injure a woman made of water while others could not, for no particular reason either way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It wasn't clear before if they would hit the reset button or work with the consequences of what has happened in this arc. Now it is. Mashima couldn't even leave Lisanna alone, and her being dead was the only point her character ever had. Anyone who thinks that Gray is staying dead is more than a little dim.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WhiffleballDude posted:

I realize Fairy Tail isn't exactly the deepest manga out there and pretty frequently tosses in bad guys just to have them lose and never come back but I felt like Oracion Seis were probably the most memorable group of villains in the series. That, and how the hell do you forget Doranbolt? He hasn't even gone anywhere, he's been an active character the entire time since he was introduced!

That arc and its villains were terrible. I'd barely put them above the dude with an amusement park.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Minerva is probably the first decent villain in the manga. She has goals unrelated to FT, but she also really, really loving hates Erza. Most of the rest are either completely forgettable or do a face turn.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Presumably they could have killed him and then used someone else as a replacement seal. It isn't like the current three dudes are the first to ever hold that position, so killing one of them during peacetime shouldn't be an issue.

Besides, even if Gerard is killed and face takes away everyone's magic a Gerard would just show up and give people a pill that cures them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he is an older version of Gray, he could have been sent to the past and gotten older from there. In other words, he could still be Ultear's father too! Which would be hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ice Demon guy is, if not time traveling Gray who is also his own father, Ultear who reformed and was turned into a guy because the new girl is boy-crazy. He hates Gray because it was his fault he spent like 20 years as a block of ice.

I'm joking, of course. With Mashima, foreshadowing a relationship just means he will make up the whole thing instead of connecting it to prior events. The ice demon is a completely new character who has never been mentioned at any point in the manga prior to the giant village arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 8, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Whoops, until now I thought the demon lady with the horns was Minerva.

She was the one who recruited/captured Minerva.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Well, except for the sense part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Only one of the demons has memory problems. The rest probably remember the person who founded their guild.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

This is a world where Jellal convinced everyone that he was totally not Jellal but another magic dude who just happened to look exactly like Jellal. Also at the same time there was another Jellal running around also claiming not to be Jellal, though at least he was honest since he was just alternate dimension Jellal.

So what you are saying is that End is definitely Jellal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

tsob posted:

This is almost always the case though - with occasional interjections of the Erza or Jellal show. Cana, Lucy and several others have been eclipsed in arcs that could/should have focused on them given the setup.

Cana's 'arc' just revealed that she is largely incompetent and kind of dumb even when given an enormous power boost. Her latest bit was probably the first time she has done anything but get drunk in the background successfully. I think she might have won a fight in the tournament too, but I'm probably mistaken.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zogundar posted:

To be fair, this was against an opponent that defeated Natsu et al by standing in his vicinity.

It isn't like that just happened. Mashima had Cana get a big powerup and supposedly learn from her mistakes (she really, really didn't) and then pop in to save the day. Only she did not save the day. She got her rear end kicked and accomplished nothing. It is very strong evidence that Mashima is just making up most of this as he goes along. Sure, that is true of every manga author to some extent, but Mashima goes nuts with it. Just toss in some explosions, punching, tits and speeches about friendship and call it a day. I'm not even certain if he figured out what the hell is supposed to be up with Natsu and Zeref yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I do like that for once the solution to "magic doesn't work" wasn't "magic harder".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So the son of a demon with ice powers got picked up by an ice mage completely by coincidence. It'd make more sense if Silver was Ur's husband, meaning that he is technically Gray's adoptive father. But well, that's fairy tail for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't even remember why she joined that dark guild in the first place. She tried to beat up Erza, but that was during the tournament? I don't think she committed any crimes aside from saving one of the crappy cats (those two are awful). Also, during the one arc she was with a dark guild she didn't really do anything besides trying to beat up Erza again. She didn't freeze the village, and she wasn't even the only person after the treasure.

It is kind of weird how they convert people into demons without bothering to alter their minds, though. Also, if demons use curses rather than magic, why was Minerva using the same magic she always had?

Mashima just can't do a coherent narrative, not that this is news to anyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mashima is a successful professional mangaka. If he simply posted on the internet about the manga he was planning to make someday he would be a troper.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zogundar posted:

I think there's still more to this. When we first saw him he was visiting a grave. I doubt the demon Deliora gives two shits about any dead humans given how many of them he's killed. Nor would he have any reason to be glad "Natsu" unfroze the giant town. Or give Lisanna some clothing.

The answer is that Mashima is totally making it up as he goes along. Thankfully, he seems to have moved away from that weird phase where Gray kept getting into motorcycle races. That seems like it would be a very strange direction for this particular fight to take.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope that the forbidden... involves a motorcycle

No I don't remember what it actually is. That chapter was yawns.

That ice transformation thing Ur did. I doubt it would even work now, but what else does he have?

I had been wondering why Deliora suddenly used ice magic, since he was just a big destructive monster before. Him using Gray's father's body was just a coincidence (and it was nice how that barely fazed Gray), but the reason why he uses ice is not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Because Mashima decided it would be cool to have Gray fight another ice mage, and then made it be his dad because that's cool, but what if it's secretly Deliora possessing his dad? Whoa awesome! Oh, and he uses devil slayer magic too, because that's a cool thing he made up. Just wait until he's secretly been Jellal all along, but wait what if he's really Zeref?

Nah, what I meant was that it makes perfect sense for Deliora to learn magic specifically to use against Ur's pupils. He already lost to an ice mage once, and being immortal the only time limit he has is those two's natural lifespans. Besides, dragon/god slayer magics were already largely identical, so why not demon slayer magic too?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pinegala posted:

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/392/2445/1

new chapter

I really liked it, and the double reveal owns. I guess all the "demons" are just regular people like Minerva?

Well, one of them got destroyed and turned into a sentient mushroom so I don't see how that would work. In other words, yeah, probably.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, nice. So that perfectly valid reason for Silver/not-actually-Deliora to have learned anti-ice mage magic? That's gone. There is no real reason why he learned ice magic. It was just a dumb coincidence. Oh Mashima, you so lazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That reminds me, I wonder when Urtear will come back from the dead?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, even if you kill someone it is no big deal. Jellal seems to be doing fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, surprisingly this didn't come out of nowhere. Who knew that Mashima was capable of foreshadowing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno, I don't recall being obsessed with big old titties when I was 9.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He might die. People die all the time in this manga. They just don't stay dead, is all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Urtear died (though she will doubtless come back eventually), and I'm pretty sure Jellal has died multiple times. Or was it multiple Jellals that each died once? I get confused sometimes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:siren::siren::siren:The cover page features a fully clothed Erza.:siren::siren::siren:

I suppose Mashima is dying.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Erza has had tons of fights where she just gets beaten up without it being overtly sexual. Why did Mashima have to make the subtext into plain text? It makes the entire manga look worse in retrospect, because while Mashima has a definite problem with the paper clothes curse, he otherwise went fairly light on the misogyny. Well, light for a shounen fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Acnologia sounds great on paper. A dragon slayer who slayed too many dragons, turned into a dragon and then kept right on killing more dragons. That's dedication, there. In practice, he isn't terribly interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"oh hey i haven't read ft in a while, i wonder what stupidity is going on now" ....oh god what

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe he has schtupped whatever dude you shipped him with?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sounds more plausible than a chapter where jesus makes all the sex-havers orgasm themselves to death

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gerald x a shallow grave

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I haven't read Fairy Tail in over a year and decided to pop into this thread and check out the latest chapter. Am I correct in thinking that this recent bad guy seems to have the magical ability to make people experience sexual pleasure?

yes, but only the sexhavers (including his mom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, natsu being desensitized to sexy naked girls is a perfectly reasonable reaction to the world he lives in.

• Locked thread