Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I'm coming from the anime which I just this week realized was on hiatus (probably the better option as opposed to more lackluster filler) and I binged through the remaining manga chapters.

I don't really have any speculation to add but I'd just like to say god drat did they ever have some bad timing on catching up to the manga, considering how much awesome poo poo happens after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The Fresh Prince posted:

Isn't Cobra still a bad dude though?

At the end of the filler arc he seemed like he had one of those "oh wait I'm a huge rear end in a top hat" moments.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait, back up, what is this bullshit?

Do I actually have to watch the anime now?

Here's a summary: Lucy finds part of a doomclock thing, the guild goes looking for the rest of it not knowing what it is, Earthland versions of the Edolas bad guys show up and antagonize them until a new and improved Oracion Seis shows up with Weirdo Giant Slot Machine Teddy Bear Guy and Eligor replacing Brain and Hoteye. Oracion Seis have all "sacrificed" something to get new power. Something something, good guys win, Oracion Seis goes back to jail but Cobra has a "moment" at the end with Kinana, who is the human form of Cubelios, his serpent. Spoilered in case anyone wants to actually go and watch it. I didn't think it was that bad, personally, but I also watched Fairy Tail at about 120% speed for a year or so.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

He was a pretty significant character in the Oracion Seis arc, I'm not sure how you could forget him that easily.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Gray, not being Lucy, Erza, or a Dragon Slayer, often gets the shaft. Once in a blue moon he gets the spotlight for a little bit, and sometimes he gets a cool fight but a lot of the time he's the least important of the main 5. As lovely as it would be to die blocking someone who's too busy fawning over him to pay attention to the loving dragon 20 feet away, I think dying is probably the only way for him to make any sort of lasting impact on the rest of the story.

I don't want it to happen because I loving love Gray and I won't be surprised in the slightest if there's some kind of Ultear deus ex machina coming in two weeks or so, but I can also see Mashima deciding to make it stick. You never know with characters like Gray. He's clearly not a Vegeta, but he's by no means a Yamcha or Krillin either. (christ what a loving nerdy analogy)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly, I think this was probably the best arc in the series. Tournament arcs are admittedly extremely cliché, but god drat are they fun when done well.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Well drat now I feel weird about remembering most of the important stuff about every major arc. Might be because I watched the anime up until it ended, maybe it left more of an impression on me. Might've been the kickin' rad soundtrack.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Well Laxus doesn't have a cat yet, maybe he's a dog person. I remember seeing a sketch Mashima did with Laxus saying he didn't need a cat.

Keep in mind Laxus isn't a natural Dragon Slayer. He and Cobra both have Dragon Slayer lacrima in their bodies. Sting and Rogue too, but that's in addition to being natural ones. Type 2 Dragon Slayers seem to prefer having other humans for partners. Kind of.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

or there's another level to Dragon-Slaying magic that we don't know about.

The predictable route is to combine Dragon Slayer and God Slayer magic somehow and teach it to Natsu or Wendy. Not Gajeel though. Can't have him get any glory.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Has Wendy done anything other than be the healer? I'd be more forgiving if she had a great fight or something to explain/justify why she's part of the main group.

The last couple arcs have had her discovering some offensive Sky Dragon Slayer magic but up until then she was mostly healing and support.

chumbler posted:

I think we can all agree that the series would be better if Wendy and Charle had simply never existed. They both somehow manage to be worse characters than even Jellal and everything associated with them is awful.

They're fine characters, they just don't belong in this series. Well, Wendy's fine. Charle is kind of irritating.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Too many slayers for me to handle. We need some slayer slayer magic.

You might be joking but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if that was actually a thing at some point.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

Has anyone actually used 2 different types of magic yet?

Aside from Natsu using Fire and Lightning at once a couple of times, I don't think so.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

It is kind of a shame that Oracion Seis didn't break out during the time skip, that could have added a bit to the sense of time having passed. If they are let out by the council it won't have the same impact as breaking out themselves.

They broke out in an anime filler arc. It was Just Okay.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I love it when he does that. Please never stop leaving and then making unnecessarily dramatic returns to save the day, Laxus.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 25, 2013

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Eh, I just thought: "That dude's a ripoff of FMA's Kimblee." Then again that would make Natsu... Roy?

He's not nearly classy enough for that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

I don't even remember who they are, or who the guy with short black hair and scars is.

I realize Fairy Tail isn't exactly the deepest manga out there and pretty frequently tosses in bad guys just to have them lose and never come back but I felt like Oracion Seis were probably the most memorable group of villains in the series. That, and how the hell do you forget Doranbolt? He hasn't even gone anywhere, he's been an active character the entire time since he was introduced!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It wasn't a direct fight, but she won a game in the tournament with Fairy Glitter.

Well, came in second technically. That was the one where Erza beat 100 monsters and didn't give anybody else the chance so they had to rank them based on the magic equivalent of a punching machine, and Cana basically pulled a Vegeta.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Eh. After the Lisanna thing this is hardly surprising. I'm just happy Wendy got a moment to shine without the bad guy saying "HAHAHA ACTUALLY NO I'M SUPER STRONG YOU TOTALLY CAN'T BEAT ME" followed by Natsu punching his way into the scene for no reason.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cana? Mavis? Those are the only two with Fairy magic

Well Makarov can use Fairy Law but he's a dude so I guess you're still technically correct.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

I think she...beat up some good guys? Didn't she kill her dad? That's probably a net positive though.

Pretty sure that was Sting.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm actually really interested to see where the Mavis spinoff goes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm honestly surprised Gray didn't already have some kind of hidden slayer magic locked inside him that Ur saw while training him or something like that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Those flashbacks about young Natsu and Lisanna were adorable but it's a shame he hasn't done anything with her since arbitrarily bringing her back.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

That was the dumbest "Erza wins, lol" moment so far, and that's saying a lot.

Erza rules though so I'm cool with it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

What does Igneel have to do with E.N.D, are they connected?

I mean yeah kind of

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fairy Tail has managed to stay at about the same level in terms of quality for most of its run. It gets a tad boring here and there and obviously we don't need to discuss the fanservice element for the thousandth time, but compared to Naruto and Bleach which I felt were notorious for having these insane swings between interesting/cool and tedious/lame (though I guess most people would suggest the interesting/cool parts were much fewer and far between than I would) Fairy Tail is just a fun punchmans story with some neat characters.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Laxus was probably my favorite villain, personally. If we're specifically talking about the bossman leader types, that is.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The gross fanservicey stuff I mostly dislike from a "I like cool fighting ladies, these are cool fighting ladies, but why do they also need to be naked so often" standpoint as opposed to a "ew gross cartoon boobs" one because honestly that poo poo doesn't even register with me so it seems bizarre when people take such issue with it. But I'm willing to ignore a certain amount of fanservice if the rest of the content is as punchy and fun and cool to look at as Fairy Tail.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

What exactly is "fetishy" about a dress?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Now THIS is how you do power creep: without even the slightest hint of restraint.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I have never had as much issue remembering past characters and events as I have reading Fairy Tale. Even beyond bit characters that show up again, there are entire arcs that I have almost zero recollection of.

I watched the anime up until it went on hiatus halfway through the Grand Magic Games and until that point I had a fairly easy time remembering previous arcs and characters but everything after the GMG arc has been a blur to me. I'm not sure if it's because of the format switch or because the characters have gotten less and less memorable since then but the most noteworthy character of the Tartaros arc was Gray's dad because I like Gray. I don't remember anyone else except MARD GEER because of his stupid name and the torture lady.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of like Acnologia as a mostly unrelated vaguely malevolent third party who shows up every once in awhile to gently caress things up for both sides. Like the guild keeps winding up in conflicts with these groups dedicated to Zeref or his demons in some way or another (apparently by design, as we just found out) but then there's also the whole dragons/dragon slayers/Acnologia subplot that's fairly interesting, at least for Fairy Tail standards.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Trying to remember anything from Fairy Tail takes a great, great amount of effort but for some reason I only remember Makarov jobbing out left and right past a certain point

Yeah so like every other powerful mentor character in anime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Honestly I'm still confused about the Jellal saga. I have no idea what actually transpired or who he was.

The short version is he was a good kid, got corrupted or possessed or something, grew up evil, had a doppelganger spy in the magic council, turned good again after losing to Natsu, showed up again later with no evil memories, let himself get arrested, broke out, and is currently an outlaw vigilante or something. Mystogan was alt. universe Jellal.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah he did not turn good after losing to Natsu. He turned good after losing his memories.

Didn't he disappear or was presumed dead from the end of that arc until he showed back up halfway through Oracion Seis?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

I really appreciate this. What happend to Mystogan? How did he lose his memories?

Mystogan just stayed behind in Edolas after that arc was done. And I honestly have no idea how Jellal lost his memories aside from generic anime "i got rekt and instead of dying i got amnesia" syndrome.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that while the series is legit interesting now (because we actually established why the bad guy is bad and what the backstories/motivations for the characters are outside of "power of nakama,") it feels 300 chapters too late to start getting interesting. Why did we need 300 chapters of Natsu fighting miniboss squads in stripper outfits again?

Because a bunch of dudes with different magic powers punching each other in the face is awesome.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I mostly only remember the parts of Fairy Tail that I was watching the anime for, once it went on hiatus and I switched to the manga the villains suddenly got really forgettable.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

No one who matters or the audience cares about dies in Fairy Tail.

Like there's a whole guild worth of ancillary characters with enough development you could kill off that people would likely be pretty sad about, without really affecting much else, and Mashima refuses to do it.

If Quatro Puppy dies I'm boycotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

That is some next level Worf-ing right there.

• Locked thread