Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mostly because Mari talks about knowing Rei's "original" later in the film. If I'm not misremembering, she never even met or spoke to Rei in Rebuild 1 or 2, so if not Yui, who is she talking about?

I'll get you an exact quote and timestamp after I rewatch it with the UTW translation.

The last thing Rei did in 2.22 was throw Mari clear of a nuclear explosion. I think it would make sense to say that Mari might be referring to it, considering that she was fighting BlackRei at the time.

Other than that, I can't shake the feeling that for much of the movie, Anno was being cryptic for the sake of being cryptic. The original series was cryptic as hell, so he had to throw in a bunch of plotpoints without explanation to get the original Eva-feel right. For much of the movie, we are just presented with one thing after other without an explanation why this or that happened and why it is important.

Seriously, that whole opening sequence to the launch of Wille? Who were the people on that bridge? Why the hell are Misato and Ritsuko now rebells? Where is everybody else?

It made the whole movie feel like a bit of a waste, to be honest. The ratio of time spent:plot advancement just isn't very good, despite dropping concepts and "heavy impact scenes" everywhere. I certainly didn't get the feeling like Shinji had advanced his arc at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Two Worlds posted:

I have watched three different encodes, and the utw one was the best by a mile. I didn't see any artifacting and there was almost no banding, and I was watching on a professionally calibrated 50" screen.
Basically I saw a lot of this: http://i.imgur.com/tqX3FmH.png

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

UTW's release is just crazy big and pushed 44 Mb/s during some scenes. You need some decent computing power and a good player to avoid dropping frames or getting visual artifacts all over the place. On OS X the only player I found that worked was VLC 2.x.

3.0 was, well, not a very good movie in my opinion. It suffers severely for being basically 90 minutes of setup for 4.0 and introduces a bunch of stuff that is either never mentioned again or totally inconsequential.

• Oh boy, a giant, flying battleship! It disappears for most of the movie and then shows up at the very end but accomplishes nothing.

• 14 years have passed and Toji's sister is all grown up! You'll never see her again and for all intents and purposes it might as well be the day after the 3rd impact.

• I guess Misato and company are fighting NERV now? Too bad we never actually see anything about that other than Rei no.9's smash and grab at the beginning.

It's very pretty and the soundtrack owns, I guess. :shrug:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 28, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did get a kick out of how much the first 30 minutes or so was a blatant nod to Nadia. Isn't the music when the Wunder launches lifted straight from Nadia, too?

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
This was by far the best of the Rebuild series yet, you guys complaining about a lack of plot are crazy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Its narrative is completely nonsensical, even more so than usual for Evangelion. It desperately needed another 15-30 minutes at the beginning to lead the viewer into the story, and by the end you're left with a feeling of "this was basically a waste of time and all of this conflict could have easily been avoided". There is basically no purpose to most scenes other than throwing out ridiculous word salad technobabble and lots of action eye candy. It throws out all of these crazy twists and wrenches that aren't actually necessary to the main purpose of this film (Shinji meeting and losing Kaworu) and you've left wondering whether any of it was needed at all besides that main purpose.

It was pretty, had good music, some fun nods to Nadia, nice action, :yarr: Asuka was as great as I hoped/expected, and I do think the Kaworu plot was handled well. But it has nowhere near the legs that 2.22 did. To be blunt, this movie feels like a Matrix sequel. Hopefully unlike those we get a strong finish with the fourth film and 3.33 can be this weird little stepping stone.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I actually like the complete apparent nonsensical nature of the plot. Evangelion has always been about Shinji's journey as a developing character, and 3.33 did a good job of throwing the viewers into Shinji's confusion. We know only little more about what's going on than Shinji, which helps establish an understanding for his actions. Shinji doesn't have any idea what's up with Wille, why Misato is fighting NERV, or anything like that. So, neither do the viewers. Everything in the movie that's apparently inconsequential or nonsensical is so because that's how it appears to Shinji.

As for Misato and company's complete disregard for Shinji in the beginning, I feel like it was kind of the point that their actions were not actually in their best interest. If they wanted Shinji to remain inactive and under their control, sincerely filling him in on the events that he had no way of knowing about, showing some measure of trust in him, would have been the right move. But Shinji is the ultimate sinner, the genocider of humanity, and they couldn't bring themselves to forgive his sin, despite that he did not know about it. Misato's initial hesitation with the choker reveals that she still has some measure of care for Shinji--which she threw away immediately afterward, made obvious by how the choker was immediately activated the next time she was in range.

Kaworu plays an interesting Christ figure compared to Shinji's sinner. He literally takes Shinji's sins upon himself with the choker, and dies for them, giving Shinji an opportunity to look for the ultimate atonement.

Ultimately I feel like the main point of 3.33 is to provide the greatest possible barrier to Shinji's independence. In 2.22, he took actions for himself, trying to save Rei. He did that out of his own will, purely for himself. As a result, he genocided humanity and failed his initial objective anyway (or at least, he believes so). In 3.33, he gains hold of a single hint to restore his world and atone--and when he exploits it, he initiates another Impact and the one person who still appears to have any measure of care for him dies. The movie builds up that every time Shinji tries to take an independent action, he commits an incredible sin; he makes the greatest possible mistake. The final movie can, if we want to go with a happy ending for Shinji's character, redeem his independence and allow him to make an action of salvation. I don't remember EoE too well, but if I remember right, then it did something like this. Shinji's rejection of Instrumentality, and the fact that anyone who wanted to come back to independence could, is a measure of salvation.

All that said, I've always cared little for Eva's plot beyond how it is a vehicle for Shinji's development. 3.33 breaks down Shinji's development and tells him that every time he tries to grow or to be himself, that he is evil. The actual plot driving that is of secondary importance. I agree that this movie is mostly setup; it establishes problems and events to be resolved in the final movie, and as a result is not nearly as satisfying to watch as 2.22. But I think it's necessary setup. It builds up and makes explicit the character problems that Shinji has to face and overcome in 4.0, and without that buildup, the eventual payoff would probably not be nearly as good. Essentially, I'm saying the quality of this movie is directly tied to the quality of 4.0, because it's a necessary and good setup for what will hopefully be well-resolved then.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Why was Kaworu beheaded when he was? Were the things at the beginning and the one wrapped around Shinji's coffin actual angels or artifical were they controlled by Nerv wh-? When they had the scene with the white moon, were they implying humans had been turned into forms similar to the evas with all those robo corpses (and is that why Seele were brains)? Why did Asuka call the group lillin at the end (wouldn't she just say their names)? Why does this movie feel like they spent all their time programming cube physics for scenes like when they enter terminal dogma? Why is Mari such a worthless character? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished the movie myself.

They really should have just made another series. If they didn't want to muck around with TV censors, then go for OVA's, I know Hellsing managed to pump out at least 10 of those.

Really, my biggest beef with the movie is that they're focusing entirely, drat near exclusively, on Shinji, and he's about the least interesting part of Eva for me. I was fine with that during the series, because they had lots of room there to expand on all the other characters and the world as a whole. We had an episode showing Nerv had competitors who were also trying to build giant robots, and that was cool. We had an episode where the Evas were entirely absent from the fight with an angel and Nerv had to defeat it all on their own, and that was cool. We had episodes focusing on Asuka, Misato, Rei, basically everybody in the extended cast got at least a few minutes of development here and there, which made them all feel like real people living in a real hosed up world that existed beyond Shinji and his troubles, and that made Shinji himself more real and believable too.

But here... I needed a break from Shinji and I didn't get one until the credits started rolling. I wanted to know how the time skip affected everyone else. I wanted to know what remained of the world beyond the devastation that Shinji saw. I wanted to know what happened to everybody else in class, at Nerv, in the rest of the world. I wanted to know what this new enemy is if they're not Angels. I wanted to know what happened to Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura aka Touji's sister during the last 14 years. I wanted more to this story beyond just Shinji's POV.

Entitled, sure, but that's how I feel about this movie. It gave me this look into a new Eva story, but didn't give me any room to explore because everything is about Shinji and nobody likes Shinji in-universe so nobody tells him anything. Very frustrating.

Excellent job on the emotional turmoil thing, though. Even more reason to want another series, Anno has gotten really, really good at getting the emotion on screen across to the audience. I'm half convinced that half my frustration is just Shinji's that I unknowingly co-opted from watching the movie and having everybody treat him like poo poo and tell him nothing. I just wish he'd use this power for good, rather than trolling. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Relin posted:

Why was Kaworu beheaded when he was? Were the things at the beginning and the one wrapped around Shinji's coffin actual angels or artifical were they controlled by Nerv wh-? When they had the scene with the white moon, were they implying humans had been turned into forms similar to the evas with all those robo corpses (and is that why Seele were brains)? Why did Asuka call the group lillin at the end (wouldn't she just say their names)? Why does this movie feel like they spent all their time programming cube physics for scenes like when they enter terminal dogma? Why is Mari such a worthless character? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

The Necklace bomb was detonated the instant Misato got within range of it again, that's why it happened when it did and not right after Rei took Shinji in the beginning, he had gone outside of the detonator's range.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
"State of the art" media player configuration, on PC, is:

- MPC-HC 32 bit (do not use 64bit) http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/mpc-hc/
- madVR render http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
- LAV Video/Audio+ splitter decoders http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

These three need some configuring but it's the best quality around. madVR may be optional since it can be heavy on its own.

Or you can use a package that contains the same: http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Captain Invictus posted:

The Necklace bomb was detonated the instant Misato got within range of it again, that's why it happened when it did and not right after Rei took Shinji in the beginning, he had gone outside of the detonator's range.
While I can't say I'm not dumb for failing to make the connection, for the viewers sake they should have has a flash to Misato hitting the button.

I think the subtitle for this movie is a reference to Highlander 2 since they are both terrible sequels

Relin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 28, 2013

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
As usual, Gendo still apparently has literally everyone dancing with his strings. Honestly though, I saw a lot of of that movie as finishing up the retelling of the series, but instead of Kaworu being the 13th the whole time, he's Adam instead, who then becomes the 13th. Probably not much of a shock that the eva unit they were both piloting is #13 as well. Same as it went originally, Kaworu dies because of someone else while Shinji ends up indirectly responsible for it (Crushing him while piloting Unit 01 the first time, the collar taken from Shinji the second time).

The whole infinity thing on the way down to the spears/the background within Unit 13 probably doesn't mean anything in the slightest either, Anno is just being a prick as always.

That movie could've used at least some time away from Shinji, just so we know what the loving deal is with the crew of Wunder, or you know, literally anything else not related to Shinji/that loving piano.

It looked pretty when everything wasn't red, at least.

Hypnobat
Apr 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They really should have just made another series. If they didn't want to muck around with TV censors, then go for OVA's, I know Hellsing managed to pump out at least 10 of those.

I enjoyed watching this but the sudden jump into the future is really frustrating, I want to know what happened between the end of 2.22 and the start 3.33 since things have changed so much. I don't think they're dedicating enough time to fleshing things out at all, and the jump from Rebuild 2 to Rebuild 3 is really jarring.

Hypnobat fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 28, 2013

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
So many of these sentiments sound like the sort of idiotic complaints from right after episodes 25 and 26 aired. This is the first rebuild movie where we are seeing something personal and unusual. Doesn't anyone remember how out of the ordinary the original series was? How willing it was to throw away its giant robot scifi trappings to focus on what really mattered, the inner life a young man in a hostile and alienating world? Or how often the idea that "Shinji piloting Eva" was a metaphor for "Anno making Eva?" "You Can (Not) Redo" is literally the subtitle.

edit: from a different sub-forum

quote:

A bunch of thoughts about Evangelion New Theatrical Edition - Q Evangelion:3.33 You Can (Not) Redo. Please note that I watched two different translations.

First, the title. The quantum (Not) is applied to "Redo." the entire movie is essentially about Hideaki Anno realizing that his messianic endeavors with the original Evangelion failed utterly, and probably made the world worse, and that this new effort will likely do the same. The Anno/Shinji metaphor is strongly in play here. He is scolding himself for his naive intentions

Part of Anno’s motivations (besides trying to prove himself worthy to a woman who thought anime directors were pathetic and culturally insignificant) in creating Evangelion was to convey a message to Japan’s youth that even though life is hard, and we all hurt each other, shutting one's self off from the outside world and becoming hikkikomori is not the answer. Even though his world is horrific, Shinji rejects a life without pain, because it ceases to be human. However, Anno’s grand hope was never realized, and if anything, the success of Evangelion only made otaku culture more toxic.

Rebuild 3 openly and contemptuously mocks the morons who loved what they perceived as “non-wimpy” Shinji’s supposed triumph at the climax of Rebuild 2 by portraying it as a hollow farce. Those people don’t get what Eva is about.

We open, basically, years after Evangelion. The Curse of Eva has left its fans unable to mature from where they were all those years ago. Everything that Shinji/Anno sought to do by piloting the Eva/making Eva has actually ended up destroying everything. "You are not needed." "You have no use." "You will never pilot (make) Eva again."

While the preview for 2 at the end of 1 was mostly accurate, the preview for 3 at the end of 2 had nothing to do with the actual movie. Was this a deliberate misleading, or, given the long production period of 3, was the scenario changed, maybe even as a re-reaction to the audience's readings of 2?

But again, can you Redo (Rebuild)? Almost everyone says no, in fact they want to kill him if he even tries to pilot (make) Eva again. "The world can be reversed no more than time," Fuyutsuki says in the lesser of the two translations I watched. Shinji says, "nothing good ever came of piloting (making) Eva" but then Kaworu tells him "Eva is what changed it, so just use Eva to change it once again." but it doesn't work out so well. Can Eva change the world for the better? What is Anno’s plan here?

Kaworu's advice at the piano seems telling: "Just keep repeating it until you are happy."

Anyway, huge NGE and End of Eva fan here, and I admired the workmanship of Rebuild 1, thought 2 was kind of messed up and got scared, but 3 is back to being a really personal work that I liked so much that I watched it four times in four days.

Two Worlds fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 28, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What subforum?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
This business of the time-skip was awful. Anything involving the Wunder was stupid. The 'curse of Evangelion' is supremely moronic. I spent half of this movie hoping that everything I'd watched so far was some sort of fevered hallucination while Shinji was trapped in the Dirac Sea of Leliel. The whole Unit 13 double pilot schtick was lame. I had really been looking forward to a Shinji/Kaworu showdown set to the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, wasn't sure if it'd happen this movie, and began to hope it wouldn't happen in this movie, and when it unfortunately did I'm not sure I could have come away from it any more disappointed.

In the end, it seemed like things were thrown at me too quickly and without enough (any) explanation for me to really care. All I was left with was Shinji to sympathize with. Do I feel bad for the guy? Sure. But this alone wasn't even close to enough to make this movie good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oh man, the last page or two of this thread are nostalgic as gently caress. Its almost wonderful to see people getting irrationally mad about the superficial, literal elements of Evangelion again. :allears:

bahamut posted:

This business of the time-skip was awful. Anything involving the Wunder was stupid. The 'curse of Evangelion' is supremely moronic.

I found the whole deal with the timeskip and the Curse of Eva to be refreshingly blatant, actually: "It's been almost twenty loving years since the show started and you still haven't grown up or moved past it, you nerds are all loving broken."

E: In fact, I'm pretty sure that the term "curse of eva" is a direct reference to an interview one of the producers made in 2006, where it was used to describe how Evangelion started a major trend shift in anime from targeting teenagers to targeting manchildren with deep pockets, and suffering as a medium as a result: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13182/Otsuki-Interview-November-2006/ (Warning, evageeks)

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 28, 2013

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

mr. stefan posted:

Oh man, the last page or two of this thread are nostalgic as gently caress. Its almost wonderful to see people getting irrationally mad about the superficial, literal elements of Evangelion again. :allears:

I found the whole deal with the timeskip and the Curse of Eva to be refreshingly blatant, actually: "It's been almost twenty loving years since the show started and you still haven't grown up or moved past it, you nerds are all loving broken."

E: In fact, I'm pretty sure that the term "curse of eva" is a direct reference to an interview one of the producers made in 2006, where it was used to describe how Evangelion started a major trend shift in anime from targeting teenagers to targeting manchildren with deep pockets, and suffering as a medium as a result: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13182/Otsuki-Interview-November-2006/ (Warning, evageeks)

THANK YOU. And I also pointed out the obvious symbolism of the timeskip/curse in the old thread, back in November.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin posted:

While I can't say I'm not dumb for failing to make the connection, for the viewers sake they should have has a flash to Misato hitting the button.

I think the subtitle for this movie is a reference to Highlander 2 since they are both terrible sequels

They did show that happen, it was during the Blood Type: Blue scene if I recall.

Honestly, I wasn't big on 2.0 and 3.0 was the one that redeemed the previous one for me, so I don't understand the complaints at all. If 4.0 shits the bed then the building in 3.0 is going to be a waste of time, but I feel like 2.0 was a waste of time without what 3.0 did so I don't mind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 28, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Its a shame because I would have liked to see the Pilots as actual, physically and mentally 28 years old. I get they can't be though because a. Otakus and b. That cultural thing about young protagonists but still it was fun in TTGL.

Also I can't believe I didn't consider how important the title is in 3.

All in all it was a fun giant robot movie were crazy stuff happened and had my eyes glued to the screen, torn between watching what was going on and actually focusing on the subtitles. Sure things were obtuse and confusing but considering that we the viewer are Shinji, the movie has done a great job at putting us in his shoes. They could have info dumped 14 years of poo poo on us from the beginning, but instead we end up like Shinji, wanting Mitsado or Asuka to tell us what the gently caress is going on and wondering what happened to Rei.

I dunno, it's Eva, I'm supposed to be confused.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, finally saw the third movie. Not sure what to think right now, my only impression being that very little of substance actually happened at all.

You Are (Not) Alone.

Holy shitballs was that boring.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Only seen it once so I don't want to get too dogmatic about opinions, but everything to do with WILLE was an idiot plot, wasn't it? On the other hand the Curse is great. I thought the most interesting aspect was how it made me rethink the original episode 24. Kaworu's "unconditional love" was just a facade to allow him to get to "Adam". And yet Shinji still goes into terrible grief and despair.:smithicide:

Nate RFB posted:

Also the UTW 1080p encode was either helluva awful or my computer was throwing a fit; saw a ton of artifacts all over the place.

Mine too, but my computer's fairly bad anyway. I had to download the 480p.

Two Worlds posted:

edit: from a different sub-forum

Couldn't you have linked to that? It's the anime thread in EW: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517607&highlight=
Edit: Thanks for reposting it though.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 28, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

mr. stefan posted:

The problem with that is that whatever commentary it wants to make on nerd culture or whatever is secondary to how it works in the movie, and in the movie 'you don't age anymore, just deal with it' doesn't make much sense at all and is frankly silly.

Not to mention I have difficulty not suspecting that part of it was simply to keep Asuka and Mari at an 'acceptable' age level instead of having them properly aged up.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Rebuild is essentially Anno's criticism of fans who whined about shinji being "too whiny/weak", because they didn't get the point of the show. So with rebuild he's trying to show us, "look how everything goes loving wrong when Shinji tries to take control of his life instead". The main thing to take away from it is that a Shinji with initiative is always 1 step away from setting off an Impact, because even if he decides to take more control of his life, he still has the same toxic personality that rejects others.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Popehoist posted:

Rebuild is essentially Anno's criticism of fans who whined about shinji being "too whiny/weak", because they didn't get the point of the show. So with rebuild he's trying to show us, "look how everything goes loving wrong when Shinji tries to take control of his life instead". The main thing to take away from it is that a Shinji with initiative is always 1 step away from setting off an Impact, because even if he decides to take more control of his life, he still has the same toxic personality that rejects others.

Yeah, I have a friend who hates the original series and always complains that Shinji should 'just stop being a pussy'. We were arguing about this just last night and having just finished watched 3.3 I have to wonder what his opinion of the whole thing is because he's been loving Rebuild so far. If this thread anything to go by then I guess it'll be 'it was boring'.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would bet a large sum of money that the people that like Rebuild in the states think it's a fix of Shinji "being a pussy" and will hate the third movie for "making him a pussy again."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely do not feel "dogmatic" about this film. I don't think it's a particularly well made movie and has a plethora of flaws that likely trace back to the script itself, but it was pretty Evangelion on my screen for 90 minutes and I can't hate that. I am perfectly OK with Shinji loving everything up again by being proactive or the "curse of Eva" being a metajoke even if it's super dumb in-movie, I just think the actual story structure is bad. If you're going to change things up this much, going as far as to introduce basically a whole new cast, you probably should dedicate some time to fleshing them out.

Also I could not take Gendo seriously at all in this movie. I was laughing pretty much every time he was onscreen and/or said something. He is more of a caricature or parody at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Also I could not take Gendo seriously at all in this movie. I was laughing pretty much every time he was onscreen and/or said something. He is more of a caricature or parody at this point.

I half expected it just to be him and Fuyutski sat alone in the shell of NERV going through the motions of their usual plans while the rest of the world has moved on and forgotten about them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't know why people keep mentioning about how Anno hates the otaku fanbase and Shinji piloting Eva was reflective of him making Evangelion (and the subsequent reply to the criticisms in the form of Rebuild) as if it's some big secret or anything. Anyone who pays attention to NGE beyond the show itself is going to run into it very quickly, and it's not as if Anno has ever been subtle about the message and themes of Evangelion.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just finished the movie myself.

Really, my biggest beef with the movie is that they're focusing entirely, drat near exclusively, on Shinji, and he's about the least interesting part of Eva for me.
I just watched and I somewhat agree with you. The movie looked and sounded great and I enjoyed the plot and character development we got for the most part, but I also feel like it was a bit too tightly focused on Shinji's angst to the exclusion of other things that would have been fun or interesting to see.

edit: Also, this is something that's been an issue since the TV series, but it's weird for a series with such pretentions to psychological and symbolic depth to use so much technobabble.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 28, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
UTW's 720p is out (well more like 542p), and yeah it looks a lot better on my PC. I guess I don't usually watch content above 10 Mbps, I would have figured it would just stutter if it was choking my CPU rather than throw in artifacts. I wonder if it's a CoreAVC feature.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: Also, this is something that's been an issue since the TV series, but it's weird for a series with such pretentions to psychological and symbolic depth to use so much technobabble.

I imagine it was originally there just to look/sound cool, but also to drive home the idea that the protagonist has just been dropped into a world of which he has virtually no understanding. Later, Anno probably realized that the target audience of his message of "hey go outside and throw a baseball or something" would be the ones to agonizingly spend their time trying to come up with a Unified Theory of Evangelion for every made-up word on the show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Why are people assuming Misato activated the collar? They say right when the collar's first put on that it's set to automatically activate if it detects the wearer about to start an Awakening, which is exactly what happens.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely think the technobabble was meant to be intentionally ridiculous. It was just so over the top.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why are people assuming Misato activated the collar? They say right when the collar's first put on that it's set to automatically activate if it detects the wearer about to start an Awakening, which is exactly what happens.

It even shows that she couldn't make herself do it when Shiji was first escaping.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
I watched this with Relin last night. Overall, I thought it was alright, but I had problems with several things from a story perspective:

- Mari is really sort of a nothing character, and one of the weakest parts of the Rebuild movies overall for me. Her role in 2.22 was basically pilot Unit-02 because the plot needed her to, and her role in 3.33 is 'shoot the rifle'. You don't get a sense of her motivation of why she's piloting Eva-08 or why she allied with Wille in particular, and her scenes feel like the writers needed to give her something to do. You can have enigmatic characters in movies, but you have to give some hint of why they're doing what they're doing.

- Asuka is sort of one-dimensional too. Like with Mari, you have no real sense of why she's with Wille or why she continues to pilot Unit-02. In the second movie it was the drive to impress and to be the best because so much of her identity was tied to piloting Eva, but I found myself wondering what her relationship was to other characters. Felt like more exposition was needed for her and Mari to give a little more oomph to the fight at the climax.

- One thing I found myself wondering with Shinji and Eva in this movie was if it was so important that he not pilot Eva again because he caused Third Impact, why didn't Wille just tell him what happened fourteen years ago? I guess they kind of answered this by saying they needed to 'regulate his emotions' or whatever, but it felt like, "Hey, let's treat Shinji badly but make him act the way we want him to act. It worked out so well before!"

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I got the distinct feeling that at one point there was a draft or definitive story boards of a version 3 that was previewed at the end of 2 and that, ultimately, it would have ended up being unnecessarily focused on minutiae. Like there was a whole movie where 3rd impact was stopped, Misato and Ritsko form Wille, Gendo starts making those angel-like Mark units, and unit 01 was sealed and put into space. When I think about it, that movie would have been loving hideously boring and unnecessary. I even think at this point with the 3.33 we got we're treading dangerously close to the point where Star Wars explained that The Force is just midichlorians in the blood. The more I understand about the mechanics of a thing like an impact takes the (forgive me) impact out of that thing. The worst thing they could do is have a huge info dump that explains the finer points of impacts, the angels, that Adam and Lillith are aliens, and I think that's what we would have got if 3 had played out as previewed in 2.22. This was true to Eva in that it had over the top technobabble, was extremely disorienting and demanded the audience try and keep up, and it's pissed off a lot of people.

Nicely done, Anno. :golfclap:

aniero fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 28, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HobbitGrease posted:

- One thing I found myself wondering with Shinji and Eva in this movie was if it was so important that he not pilot Eva again because he caused Third Impact, why didn't Wille just tell him what happened fourteen years ago? I guess they kind of answered this by saying they needed to 'regulate his emotions' or whatever, but it felt like, "Hey, let's treat Shinji badly but make him act the way we want him to act. It worked out so well before!"

If Evangelion were written by an American I would swear it's a metaphor for abstinence-only sex ed. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HobbitGrease posted:

Shinji was told what happened 14 years ago by someone else and it made him collapse in upon himself but specifically did NOT make him refuse to pilot an Eva again if he thought it was strictly necessary. Shinji being upset and angry and desperate to prove himself and undo a mistake is exactly what got him back in the Eva last time in fact.

There's also the fact that Evangelion Unit 01 has shown that it will respond to Shinji even if he isn't in it so "Eva-01 is locked up in Wunder's core" doesn't necessarily change that Shinji could use it to start an impact if things got really bad, even with Sync Ratio 0. Basically Shinji kinda probably should be dead or off the Wunder but Misato? Kinda bad at personal decisions when it comes to non-combat scenarios.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 28, 2013