Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The third rebuild movie owned bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoyed 3.0 so much that I rewatched it again the very next day back when it came out.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I liked 3.0 a lot, but the wait for 4.0 is interminable and it makes me grumpy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SHISHKABOB posted:

STOP DOING YOUR ART IN MY ART

Yeah basically. It's selfish.:colbert:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Tony Takezaki's Evangelion parody just landed at my local comic shop on Wednesday and it is cracked out but funny as hell. Only slightly less ridiculous than Shinji Ikari Detective Agency.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I enjoyed 3.0 so much that I rewatched it again the very next day back when it came out.

I didn't like it that much but 3.0 retroactively made me like 2.0 which I hated when it came out because 3.0 made it clear the poo poo I hated was intentional.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The thing that pisses me off about 3.0 is that while 2.22 ended on such a high note: gently caress YEAH HE SAVED REI! Oh gently caress Shinji just merged with Rei! He transcended infinity becoming a God! 3rd impact is happening! Oh gently caress Kaworu out of no where! Oh boy I can't wait to see how this plays out!

" Nope." - Anno.

The...the gently caress, Anno?

[edit] That scream as he tries to break through still gives me goosebumps :zoro:

(2.22 ending spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hryga7GrKBA

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 29, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

2.22 ended on such a high note

...2.22 ended with our hero nearly causing the apocalypse exactly as forseen by his evil fuckwit father only to be stopped by some mysterious moon person impaling him with a spear.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I meant a high note story wise, like the glorious end of a season finale.

Eva should never end on a happy ever after ending. Ever.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I love how so many Eva fans dislike 3.0 for pulling an Eva on them, switching gears out of left field and going from fun action robot to human misery poo poo show.

I love Rebuild.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ak Gara posted:

Eva should never end on a happy ever after ending. Ever.

That's a really unpleasant way to look at a story about depression and miscommunication.

Anyways, I think people are overstating the disconnect between Rebuild 2 and 3. Ignoring all the literal apocalypse stuff for a minute, both the climax of 2 and the first act of 3 are about Shinji trying to reconcile with Rei for abandoning her / seemingly not valuing her as much as she values him. Kaworu is introduced as someone who tries to intercede (preventing Third Impact), tries to help (repairing the SDAT, the piano duet), and in the process of trying to teach Shinji to relate to people falls for him himself and gets hurt because of it.

I like Rebuild 3 (and the climax of 2) but I'm wary of it because it's very close to implying that trying to connect to people is the source of everything that's going wrong. People often make the (fairly obvious) Gendo-Yui / Shinji-Rei comparison, but Gendo's obsession with Yui has always been portrayed as fairly one-sided; she loved him but she had other priorities. Rei on the other hand is all about her connection to other people. She spent most of Rebuild 2 trying to be a better friend to Shinji and in the end when Zeruel and Unit-01 merge and he reaches out to her she reaches back.

Putting that event at the center of the end of the world sets an ugly precedent, even with the parallel track about selfishness and Shinji's motivations. The TV series + EoE went out of its way to affirm that no matter how much connecting to people hurts, it's preferable to the alternative. Misunderstanding, complicated motivations, and human frailty were necessarily embraced as part of the whole package. The only people who are outright condemned are the ones who rejected that completely (SEELE, Gendo) and even Gendo gets a measure of forgiveness once he acknowledges the source of his mistakes.

If you were to judge it only by what we have right now, Rebuild seems much more hardline, but I don't think it makes much sense to do that; there are too many dangling threads that could unravel the whole reading.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW4iBw_CZx8

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

I'm really liking the new Eva tv series. Its a bit more modern.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Better animation than the non-action bits of the original series.

And hey, at least it wasn't season 2 of SAO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

And hey, at least it wasn't season 2 of SAO.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ahahaha, seriously?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Latest romhacking.net translation: "Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2"

This truly is the year of Evangelion.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Leroy Dennui posted:

Latest romhacking.net translation: "Shinseiki Evangelion: Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2"

And yet the Shinji Ikari Raising Project gets nothing :argh:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm not really in the know regarding physical anime releases in the west, how high is the chance for the remastered Evangelion bluray set to be released outside of japan?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sure Funimation would love to take a crack at it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just hope we get an individual release of EoE on Blu-Ray at some point.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Nate RFB posted:

I'm sure Funimation would love to take a crack at it.

Are funimation releases usually playable on EU devices? I don't really know how bluray player region codes work.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

K. Flaps posted:

Are funimation releases usually playable on EU devices? I don't really know how bluray player region codes work.

Nope, we'll just have to hope it gets an EU release. Or buy a US BD player I guess, depending on how desperate you are.
I think its possible to play stuff on a PC with a bluray drive but even that's kind of a mess due to the draconian HDCP poo poo.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Leroy Dennui posted:

There is like three goddamn spin-off's all centering on that High School AU where nothing went wrong until suddenly angels!, sometimes I wish that fanfic I read in my childhood where Shinji grew a beard, buffed out and ripped an angel's head off with literal bear hands before ending like a GI Joe cartoon was canon.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

SirDrone posted:

There is like three goddamn spin-off's all centering on that High School AU where nothing went wrong until suddenly angels!, sometimes I wish that fanfic I read in my childhood where Shinji grew a beard, buffed out and ripped an angel's head off with literal bear hands before ending like a GI Joe cartoon was canon.

This is the plot for 4.0 Final 1.0+3.0 Evangelion 4: The Search for Yui's Gold, except he'll still weep and initiate Final Impact afterward because it's Evangelion.

The first half-hour of the film is an extended beard-growing montage, and he develops an anyeurism trying to will himself a beard while sitting on the toilet.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQ0DfmAFe0

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

God drat even Eva is trying that pose now!
http://i.imgur.com/Mwk7Tme.jpg

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

lmao

Too Lazy to Stop
Dec 27, 2012

ParTEA Hard!
Hahaha! Get it? It's a pun!
...oh I'm wasting my life.
You guys seemed to enjoy an Evangelion opening parody I made a few months back, so I decided to make another. This one's about the Steam Summer Sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

You guys seemed to enjoy an Evangelion opening parody I made a few months back, so I decided to make another. This one's about the Steam Summer Sale

Using that Dark souls bit is cheating :colbert:
Still, I appreciate a good Eva/Cruel Angel's Thesis pop culture stew as much as the next guy.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

hell yes

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

This is in close competition with eva98 for best eva opening

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

yes

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

You Can (Not) Trade For 30 Days

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol sachiel landed 4 days ago and I only just now woke up

4.000000 :argh:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where the hell is my 3.0 Blu-Ray?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The true Curse of Eva

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Sakurazuka posted:

The true Curse of Eva

anno domini is no longer exceeding the actual date of the next release.Are we getting the finale before x'mas,?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
That time already? Time to rewatch everything !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RZApublican posted:

And yet the Shinji Ikari Raising Project gets nothing :argh:

Well the SIP manga is longer than the actual NGE manga and I don't think it's ending any time soon. That's pretty impressive.

As for the video game, wasn't there a Rei variant? I think I saw it on EvaGeeks. Granted, that might very old by this point.