Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Evangelion done in the style of Twin Peaks would own, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

They also aren't tonally similar to Eva you doofus

I'd say Twin Peaks and Eva have more in common than they don't, especially if you throw FWWM into the mix. The main difference that I can see is that Twin Peaks keeps up the goofy comedy hijinks facade relatively longer than Eva does and keeps that wall up through most of the show, but both use similar cinematic techniques (In the Lynch directed episodes at least), play with narrative in similar ways, and have similar thematic concerns.

It's been a long while since I've read Watchmen though so I'm willing to give up that one.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 4, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Please give me wings for shaving my beard.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SHAVE IMPACTO!

I like how Evangelion has become the real life version of the Spaceballs merchandise sketch.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Does the EVA-13 bucket have two handles?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Bit of a longshot but if you enjoy watching negative nancy or a high functioning major depressive type fight their way through an emotionally dark conspiracy with lots of religious imagery: True Detective.

Both seasons and Eva share the feeling of a powerful unknowable enemy loving the mains poo poo up, almost as much as their broken sad selves do.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

:greenangel:

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
The BDs drop today, right? I assume subbed versions should arrive pretty fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd give it a week at least, re-encoding 26 eps plus a couple of movies isn't quick even if you don't have to sorry about timing and stuff

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice is organising a simulwatch of Eva when the Haruhi one is over, by which point the encodes might be out.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

HD EoE
On the TV
Looks pretty

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Yeah I'm grabbing that right now. I will turn it on to see how it looks and whatnot but I'm gonna behave myself and wait to watch it after another viewing of the entire series.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Welp, this 1080p encode I got looks almost 100% identical to the Renewal DVD rip from years ago. Hopefully this is some dummy's idea of a joke and it's not actually sourced from the new BD.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I downloaded a 1080p of the first episode and this is a lot different. Here's a gallery of side by side comparisons:

http://imgur.com/a/lu4V3

Obviously totally re-colored. Way more reds, and a bit over-saturated, but it is definitely more crisp and vibrant.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Archer666 posted:

SHAVE IMPACTO!

I like how Evangelion has become the real life version of the Spaceballs merchandise sketch.

I want the Eva buckets so loving bad

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Neowyrm posted:

Are there any western productions that are tonally/narratively similar to Evangelion?

lol this is like a month old but nobody told you to watch the sopranos

you should watch the sopranos

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Satorr posted:

I downloaded a 1080p of the first episode and this is a lot different. Here's a gallery of side by side comparisons:

http://imgur.com/a/lu4V3

Obviously totally re-colored. Way more reds, and a bit over-saturated, but it is definitely more crisp and vibrant.

Jesus. The first thing I'd do is turn down the saturation on my BSPlayer.

Also, those look like blown up DVD images to me. I've seen better DVD's that's been blown up to 1080p with an unsharpen mask applied.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 29, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We're never going to get 3.0 on Blu-Ray here in the U.S., are we?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hahahaha

Hhaahahahahah

Hahahahhahahahhah

no

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Raxivace posted:

We're never going to get 3.0 on Blu-Ray here in the U.S., are we?

anno is too busy playing with gundam figurines and working on godzilla to approve a translation for us

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe when 4.0 comes out? That's the only reason I can think of- redoing the dub is too expensive until there's another movie to do alongside it.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Kavak posted:

Maybe when 4.0 comes out? That's the only reason I can think of- redoing the dub is too expensive until there's another movie to do alongside it.

as if the staff of something as horribly named as "funimation" wouldn't jump at the chance to leak a script for 4.0, simply because it is needed to maintain the continuity of the product. if i worked for something i'd sooner hide on my resume than display in bold font on heavyweight resume paper bringing such disgrace to my family name, i'd follow the money on this one and leak it like an incontinent octogenarian.

"yep, this job is classified, and my security clearence prohibits me from talking about what i do at work. i can't say much about what we do all day at the funimation factory, but just believe me when i tell you its serious business localizing the cutting edge of japanimation."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please go be nuts somewhere else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Izumi Konata posted:

"yep, this job is classified, and my security clearence prohibits me from talking about what i do at work. i can't say much about what we do all day at the funimation factory, but just believe me when i tell you its serious business localizing the cutting edge of japanimation."

same

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
turns out 12/30/15 is the soonest possible japanese theatrical release date. like adam at the uttermost basement level of nerv hq, this production is kept under wraps like tutankhamen iii.

got some intel hinting towards a final chapter after the next one. come to think of it, there are rumors of a reboot 4.0 which comes after a 3.5 installment tentatively titled "rebuild 3 + 1".

this does nothing but muddy the waters of a legitimate franchise which owes its fans nothing less than punctuality and respect. can someone tell me more about this "studio khara"? it would seem to me it is nothing more than a franchise propped up in an effort to contain a gainax shareholder mutiny. what other products do they offer, and what are some past releases of theirs which have been greeted with critical acclaim?

Sakurazuka posted:

hahano

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd give it a week at least, re-encoding 26 eps plus a couple of movies isn't quick even if you don't have to sorry about timing and stuff

what is this imparsible garbage? can you (not) english?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
So, turns out that BD rip of episode 01 I provided caps from earlier...the release group added those godawful filters. Why? I guess they're dumb. After they were called out on it they released a version with no filters that was still really soft. Someone else by the name of Sephirotic (lol) has started releasing way, way nice and sharp rips that are apparently near indistinguishable from the source.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Sephirotic still the only decent one? It looks like all of their releases for Eva are 1080p which while not exactly bad is a bit overkill.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Izumi Konata posted:

turns out 12/30/15 is the soonest possible japanese theatrical release date. like adam at the uttermost basement level of nerv hq, this production is kept under wraps like tutankhamen iii.

got some intel hinting towards a final chapter after the next one. come to think of it, there are rumors of a reboot 4.0 which comes after a 3.5 installment tentatively titled "rebuild 3 + 1".
This is interesting, could you please back it up with something?

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back

Nate RFB posted:

Is Sephirotic still the only decent one? It looks like all of their releases for Eva are 1080p which while not exactly bad is a bit overkill.

I know RX782 (of EG)released 1-6, dual audio and stuff under [2d4u]. I'd say once more episodes/raws are released or finished someone will eventually do a 720p release. I'm sticking with my DVDs for now. Mostly because while there's some softness I can tell between a few releases, but I think I like the colours a bit better on the [2D4U] release.

edit: RX782's notes about the colouring now included!

A note on the color: A statement from Sony PCL mentioned that they were provided explicit notes from the 2003 Renewal project on how to go about restoring this BD version. This makes sense in a few ways, the most obvious being frame restoration and timing (remember, Renewal had changes from the broadcast version that would have to be recreated for this, theoretically). However, Sony was also instructed to color grade the new BD master to the colors of the 2003 version, which to me, comes off as backwards and unfulfilled. Like the DVDs, this new BD has the same yellowish/green tint, and though it may not be too noticeable, it's there, and I felt compelled to reduce it. I will re-examine this correction on a per-episode basis, as I recall a similar correction attempt to produce inconsistent results on the DVDs (future episodes didn't seem as affected).

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/141806
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/141807

Yatsuha fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a silly question but how are the chapters and sub fonts on those releases? Sephirotic's are awful, with most episodes not having chapters and most subs just generic SRT-like block fonts (on top of inconsistently subbing the OP/ED and a handful of timing issues). I was going to toy with the idea of correcting them myself but I won't if these 2d4u ones are better.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

This is a silly question but how are the chapters and sub fonts on those releases? Sephirotic's are awful, with most episodes not having chapters and most subs just generic SRT-like block fonts (on top of inconsistently subbing the OP/ED and a handful of timing issues). I was going to toy with the idea of correcting them myself but I won't if these 2d4u ones are better.

They both took their subs from Bloat's dvd release, [2D4U] has chapters and the sign subtitles whereas [Sephirotic] has a lot of other languages' sub tracks (even Japanese CC which is kinda neat). I would say definitely swing more for [2D4U]'s release.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/142042

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I swear the groups putting out releases right now are competing to see who can have the biggest filesize per episode.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Srice posted:

I swear the groups putting out releases right now are competing to see who can have the biggest filesize per episode.

I don't know about the other group, but RX782, aka 2D4U, cares about "grain" among other encoding jargon.
So that means big filesize and pissing off people who just want the rips. Them's the breaks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

maybeflan posted:

I don't know about the other group, but RX782, aka 2D4U, cares about "grain" among other encoding jargon.
So that means big filesize and pissing off people who just want the rips. Them's the breaks.

I just wish they could also put out a 720p version with reasonable filesizes, but alas nobody is doing that right now.

If it doesn't happen soon I might have to take matters into my own hands.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

There was some talk about how even though Evangelion is a 16mm show it still looks good in 1080p but it seems like they're going the bloat route and just have it big for the purists. I guarantee once all the rips are out someone will do it in 720p or whatever. I can do some tests later and see how close I can get I suppose. :toot:

edit: Best I got so far is @ 879 MB. Only thing I noticed is maybe the encode I did isn't as sharp? Also not a buttload of grain but whatever.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/142114
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/142116

Anyways, it's possible to make the series look decent enough without going balls to the wall on grain and other horseshit. There was one 720p encode I found but they did some Dayglo colour edits and it looks awful.
I'm pretty much gonna stop here because it feels slightly :filez:-ish to me and I gave up getting super anal about encoding poo poo a long time ago.

Yatsuha fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 10, 2015

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009

Srice posted:

x265 hevc pls

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Srice posted:

If it doesn't happen soon I might have to take matters into my own hands.

Don't do it, Shinji!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Meantime, I still wonder what they're gonna do with 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Evangelion On Ice: A Musical