Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have the same feeling and that's why I think I can never really judge it fairly until the last movie comes out.

In 2065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah ultimately despite being kind of disappointed with 3.33 I am still pretty hyped for the final movie.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

personally I am in the "a whole lot happened in 3.33" camp but I do need to see it again

I do really enjoy how differently people take it. some of the things I read it's like "poo poo, were we watching the same movie?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I've seen 3.33 about 10 times at this point. I saw it 4 times the week it finally got subs, which was an awesome week

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

In Training posted:

I think I've seen 3.33 about 10 times at this point. I saw it 4 times the week it finally got subs, which was an awesome week

I've got a call from the UN; they want you to conduct a study on psychological self-torture.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When 3.33 was available I watched it that night and then watched it again as soon as I woke up the very next morning.

It's the only movie I've watched as an adult multiple times within 24 hours

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

When 3.33 was available I watched it that night and then watched it again as soon as I woke up the very next morning.

It's the only movie I've watched as an adult multiple times within 24 hours

Hell yeah. I watched it twice in quick succession because of how much I liked it, once with a few friends and then again a day or two later because the translation was revised in some pretty major ways

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wait, did some of you really wait 3 years to watch this film?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I think a kind of annnoying thing about 3.33 is that ultimately nothing really happened. They were spinning their wheels waiting for the finale which is still a long time off. The only advancement to the plot was:

-jump ahead 14 years to see a post-apocalyptic hellscape
-seele gets shut down
-kaworu dies
-fourth impact almost happens, but then it doesn't

Then at the end the characters are practically in the same situation as the beginning of the movie after Shinji gets busted out of stasis.

I like the movie, don't get me wrong. It just allllllllllmost felt like filler with nice visuals and amazing music.

A lot of character development happened in that time period. Nobody is really back in the same position they were before. Like I am willing to bet without fail that Shinji would not do the same things in 4.0 he did in 3.0 if given the chance, nor does Asuka seem to have the same response to him, nor is Kaworu there to bail him out, ect, ect.

Alternately we'll discover that Godzilla is actually Shinji Ikari considering Anno's next film.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sharktamer posted:

Wait, did some of you really wait 3 years to watch this film?

"Wait" is kind of a strong word. ~3 years elapsed between the time I could preorder 3.33 and the time I watched it, but after the first six months I sort of gave up "waiting" for it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I watched all the Rebuilds after the simulwatch and I definitely came around a bit more on 3.33. It definitely feels like part 1 of a 2 part movie though.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Watching 3.33. again for the first time since I watched it a couple years ago and I think it's better the second time around. The CG is poo poo, which is sad given how good the CG is in 1.11 and 2.22 but overall I think it's a really interesting departure in plot and I'm incredibly excited for where 4.44 will go.

I love that it's pretty much Anno once again pulling the rug out from under the viewers. Everyone that thought Rebuild would be this badass, self-actualized Shinji gets to see that "guts and hard work" just hosed everything up even worse and he's still a giant turd. He's so selfish that he won't even listen to his only friend when he tells him to NOT pull the spears out.

This time around the piano scene seems even more blatant in telling us that Shinji is re-creating the world over and over until he gets his happy ending. "Just keep practicing until you get a sound you like."

So hype for the next one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That line in particular is one of my favorites in the film. A stand in for the entire creative process surrounding NGE in all its forms over the years.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
3.33 had an effect on me such that I didn't watch it again until some time had passed. I think the most emotional moment on my initial watch was the visuals given during Fuyutski's talk to Shinji about his mom. On rewatches I still think the movie is fantastic, and I really like all of the ridiculous visions we see. Like, if you just throw yourself into "I believe you, Evangelion" mode, then it's a loving insane picture. Like the whole movie is one picture, a giant painting, with NERV HQ at the center of it, with that huge... mouth... and ... stuff. Yeah.

The painting metaphor does suggest a "lack of motion", but really, paintings can convey motion to the viewer, and rebuild 3.33 did something like that for me. I love the movie in its own right, and am very sad that I can't get my original copy to display the subtitles. But I'll admit that I sat and watched my favorite parts anyways.

roobots posted:

Watching 3.33. again for the first time since I watched it a couple years ago and I think it's better the second time around. The CG is poo poo, which is sad given how good the CG is in 1.11 and 2.22 but overall I think it's a really interesting departure in plot and I'm incredibly excited for where 4.44 will go.

I love that it's pretty much Anno once again pulling the rug out from under the viewers. Everyone that thought Rebuild would be this badass, self-actualized Shinji gets to see that "guts and hard work" just hosed everything up even worse and he's still a giant turd. He's so selfish that he won't even listen to his only friend when he tells him to NOT pull the spears out.

This time around the piano scene seems even more blatant in telling us that Shinji is re-creating the world over and over until he gets his happy ending. "Just keep practicing until you get a sound you like."

So hype for the next one.

Yeah but I think the piano scene has another idea behind it, which is that creating music is a joyful experience with which you can share your self to others.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Watching 3.33 and I think part of the mess has to be placed at Miasato's feet. She had two broad options available to her, to treat Shinji like a monster or like a kid who accidentally made a horrendous mistake. She went with the first one because it felt easier to blame the state of the world on somebody but in the end she lacked the willpower to fully commit herself to that line of reasoning by killing Shinji when he was escaping.

Also did anybody ever try explaining to Shinji that the entire thing was basically an accident. As in yes his actions did lead to the third impact but he does not have to shoulder all the responsibility for not only did he not do it on purpose, he had no idea that he could do something like this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No one ever talks to Shinji about it. Literally everyone's top priority when he wakes up is to poo poo all over him.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

author self insert joke goes here

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

No one ever talks to Shinji about it. Literally everyone's top priority when he wakes up is to poo poo all over him.

More like ignore him as useless. He can't pilot the Eva so he is useless. But his existence is still a threat because blah blah instrumentality. Everyone has become hardened by years of conflict, and that colors their treatment of Shinji. He's more like a bad memory to them than a person.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, he was only conscious aboard the Wunder for...an hour? If we're being generous? And part of that time was eaten up by fighting the artificial angels. Wasn't much time for an exposition dump.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

More like ignore him as useless. He can't pilot the Eva so he is useless.

Am I the only one who entertains the idea that the 0% sinc rate might have been a lie? Their goal is to keep him from piloting Eva again and telling him it wouldn't work sounds like a pretty good idea for that. He is able to pilot Eva 13(?) later on without much trouble.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Am I the only one who entertains the idea that the 0% sinc rate might have been a lie? Their goal is to keep him from piloting Eva again and telling him it wouldn't work sounds like a pretty good idea for that. He is able to pilot Eva 13(?) later on without much trouble.

Sync ratios are specific to the bond between a pilot and and a particular Eva, plus 13 has no soul, which makes the synchronization for that unit between pilot and pilot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

He was able to pilot Eva-13 because Kaworu was there.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I think a kind of annnoying thing about 3.33 is that ultimately nothing really happened. They were spinning their wheels waiting for the finale which is still a long time off. The only advancement to the plot was:

-jump ahead 14 years to see a post-apocalyptic hellscape
-seele gets shut down
-kaworu dies
-fourth impact almost happens, but then it doesn't

Then at the end the characters are practically in the same situation as the beginning of the movie after Shinji gets busted out of stasis.

I like the movie, don't get me wrong. It just allllllllllmost felt like filler with nice visuals and amazing music.

Well, 3.33 isn't out here for another month so I can't check this but (MILD FINAL SCENE SPOILER):

Aren't Asuka, Shinji and Rei3 completely cut off from everyone at the end of the movie? I'm fairly sure they are stranded due to radio interference or something. Could be interesting to see how the next movie handles that

At any rate, I'm glad the US blu rays are finally out. With any luck, the UK shouldn't have any more delays.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I finally watched EoE, the end of the original show, and 3.33.

I don't understand any ending

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

3.33 isn't an ending, the original show actually makes the most sense, and EoE is an acid trip. :)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ross Angeles posted:

So I don't really want to try explaining EoE because even after 5 or 6 viewings I don't think I really get what Anno's going for, but the end of the original show is pretty straight forward. It's basically the visualization of Shinji coming to terms with a couple of ideas. Mainly that one can only really know one's self through interactions with others, that a large part of what makes these interactions painful is self hatred and fear of judgment, and finally that he was self worth and the potential exists for him to be happy.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah it's an internal psychodrama represented as plot, that's 90% of what there is to 'get'

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's not to get about EoE? Maybe it's cause I've seen it so many times but It makes sense enough to me. Shinji breaks all the AT fields in the world, everyone becomes one in a sea of tang, he realizes that it's not what he thought it'd be. He eventually accepts that real life can and will often be painful and difficult He realizes that even though other people will always hurt him and each other and people will always be afraid and alone in the world, that doesn't delegitimize the opposite side of the coin, fleeting and temporary as it may be, it's also what makes life worth living. Gendo accepts his fate and his punishment for what he did to Shinji, Yui flies off into space as an everlasting monument to the fact that humanity existed once upon a time, and Shinji reforms his body and becomes an individual again, only to be confronted with the person he'd least like to see in the whole world. She knows what he did to her and he knows she knows and we all know what happens next. The end!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That does some it up but I don't think the ending stuff or the Gendo stuff is correct.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If Gendo got to join the rest of humanity I figure his legs woulda been tang like everyone else. Also that whole scene between him and Yui and Kaworu woulda been a bit pointless.

It's not easy to accept because I love Gendo and empathise with him more than a person probably should but it makes the most sense to me that once reunited with Yui he'd see what a poo poo he'd been to the person Yui cares about as much as he cares about her.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 7, 2016

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Leroy Dennui posted:

Sync ratios are specific to the bond between a pilot and and a particular Eva, plus 13 has no soul, which makes the synchronization for that unit between pilot and pilot.

I'm not saying this doesn't make sense but I feel you're making a lot of assumptions about the mechanics of the weird rear end things we get a glimpse of in 3.33. Plus, how would they know his sync ratio with Eva 1 without putting him inside?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They measured it with a little thingy.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Has there been any news on 4.0? I was wondering if it had come out yet but it turns out it hasn't, and a Google search just gave articles from early-mid 2015 saying 4.0 had been renamed 3.0+1.0 and was due for release in December last year. I found 3.0 to be pretty enjoyable aside from the time skip being a little awkward, but I've been looking forward to a finale that's hopefully on-par with EoE and it's a shame that three years have passed and we still don't have a conclusion. Hopefully they're using the time to craft something really out there, but I think that the whole reason 3.0 took a while is because they scrapped everything and started fresh halfway through? At least, I recall the 3.0 preview being entirely different from the final movie and hearing some news of old work being scrapped, but that was a long time ago now so I could be remembering wrong.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anno is doing Godzilla so we won't see 4.0 until late 2018 at the earliest.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Has Anno actually acknowledged Rebuild since picking up Godzilla? Like, has there been an explicit "oh I've still got the team working on it" or "I'm putting it on the shelf while I do this thing", or just silence?

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Oh, I didn't know he'd just decided to go work on something else instead. That's a bummer but hopefully 4.0 comes out one day.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

yes http://www.gwern.net/otaku#section-25

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

godzilla resurgence is in post and has a jp release date set for the end of july, idk if anyone has picked it up for us distribution. he will finish rebuild in time for the 20th anniversary of end of eva. i know it in my heart

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Corvo posted:

Oh, I didn't know he'd just decided to go work on something else instead. That's a bummer but hopefully 4.0 comes out one day.

It's not so much that he "decided" so much as it is that when you're a Tokusatsu fan on the level that Anno is and someone asks you to helm motherfucking Godzilla, the only way you're going to say no and live with yourself is if a family member loving died and you have to make the arrangements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell just give me the blue ray for the original and I would be fine.