Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

the room wasn't very big but there was a decent crowd, more than I expected

I was pretty lucky that no one was annoying and everyone was very focused on the movie

not surprised at least 10 years ago when I still had friends attending there USC anime club was yuuuge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

so is it in theaters cuz of some kind of anniversary???
I guess it's the kind of thing that'll probably come around to the local arthouse enough times in the next decade anyway

It was released in 1997, we're a little short of 30 years yet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

shame on an IGA posted:

not surprised at least 10 years ago when I still had friends attending there USC anime club was yuuuge

don't I loving know it, I went to USC for several years and served as the club's president, vice president, and librarian at various points in time

the club was a good example of how viewing anime changed over time as access to streaming killed the traditional model of watching in the club room because people would rather see something on their own time then sit for three hours to watch three shows once a week all semester. we went from a club that had forty people in the main room and multiple groups in other rooms (game room, other watching room etc) at the height of the club to maybe ten regulars if we were lucky

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

so is it in theaters cuz of some kind of anniversary???
I guess it's the kind of thing that'll probably come around to the local arthouse enough times in the next decade anyway

I think they're just riding the recent anime wave. Anime is "cool" now, at least with zoomers and younger millennials.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Got my tickets for Wednesday, taking my eldest who loves it as much as I do, might have a friend going too with us. Gonna be so goddamned good!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm happy I decided to go see this. I love watching this movie. I see new things every time. I think the best part of the theater experience was the sound. It was mixed pretty well in my opinion. I feel like I heard a lot of the sounds the evas make for the first time. I love their noises. It was also really great quality. I don't think I've ever seen the little swirly air swishes at times when Asuka is swinging around the spear thingy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
my first exposure to eva was in the early 2000s amongst an internet enclave that mostly liked it but were also kinda dismissive of its importance and throwing words like "overrated" around, obviously decades later guess who had the last laugh. this did not encourage me to seek out the series, plus my entire anime viewing at the time hinged on cable tv cause i only had dialup and no spare cash for dvds. when i went to college, i finally had to opportunity to watch the original tv series through the library, i liked the first half fine but i really pored over the second half, especially from episode 18 on. even though i really liked rewatching those episodes and reading interpretations on the internet, eva never really became a favorite favorite of mine before i exhausted myself on reading up on it and put the whole thing back on my mental shelf. the library didn't have end of eva on dvd so instead of doing the obvious and looking it up on my college internet, i refrained from ever watching the thing for whatever reason and instead read synopses, summaries, transcripts, joke summaries, joke reviews, interpretations of certain scenes, and dumb memes of certain scenes, never experiencing the whole film for myself. until this past weekend in the theater. here's some thrown together thoughts about it, which probably reflect my own preoccupations with eva:

-a good chunk of the film is devoted to shinji's pathological obsession with asuka, arguably the richest relationship from the tv series to explore, with probably shinji/misato a close second. the film opens with shinji intiating aggressive physical contact with asuka to provoke a response and ends with shinji performing an even harsher physical act, where he finally gets the response he longed for (forced?) from her but, considering what he has(n't) done to/for her throughout, probably doesn't deserve. shinji lusts after asuka physically, he wants her conscious if only to validate his miserable self-image & how he ruined her life but he simultaneously wants to kill her in order run away from those things. and the film is explicit about how shinji still can't really recognize her as independent person beyond what he wants out of her, maybe until that aforementioned ending. perhaps shinji tries to strangle asuka that second time in order to prove to himself that he sucks and to assume full responsibility for ruining her life, ignoring asuka's own agency and responsibility for the problems in her life. shinji could be enamored of this form of control he has over asuka, something that's not present with his relationship with misato. shinji wants to connect with others again while having everyone retain their separate consciousnesses, but judging by asuka's immortal final line, he still has a ways to go in carrying it out in healthy ways; you are always a work-in-progress, depicted in the most brutal fashion. one of, if not the most, painful moments in the whole enterprise is shinji's absolute despair at seeing unit-02 being carried off in pieces by the masspro evas and to really hammer the point home, the sequence is repeated after the mid-credits intermission as if we were coming back from commercial break or a "last time on nge" even though it's a drat theatrical film (though it would make sense for possible tv airings)

-it was so nice of anno to have seele and the nerv techs/fuyutsuki finally just say what's literally going on, step-by-step, after concealing a lot of it during the series to preserve the mystery. also think it's funny that the remnants of nerv were relatively casual about their coworkers getting killed (built different after 2nd impact i guess) & having the whole geofront getting carried off into space, all while providing exposition through monitor readings using the same storyboards used throughout the tv series. was also surprised by how long they lasted compared to a bunch of more important characters

-absolutely perfect that shinji is instantly elated, the brightest expression he shows throughout the entire film, when giant kaworu appears before him after being loving terrified of giant rei.

maybe i'll catch eoe again later tonight and come up with a bunch of new points contradicting the ones i just made. if i ever get around to the rebuilds, it'll probably when i'm at the age when anno made them

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You don't have to spoiler tag end of evangelion, it's 27 years old

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Not that the bad takes ever stopped but it is funny seeing a bigger uptick of the "Anno made EOE because he hates Otakus" hot take on social media now that it's back in theaters.

So how much validity is there anyway to "anno made EOE because it's the ending he wanted to make", "anno made EOE out of spite", "EOE is the real ending", "show ending is the real ending", "EOE and show ending are actually the same" and "shouldn't there be snow in EOE?" ?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So how much validity is there anyway to "anno made EOE because it's the ending he wanted to make", "anno made EOE out of spite", "EOE is the real ending", "show ending is the real ending", "EOE and show ending are actually the same" and "shouldn't there be snow in EOE?" ?

None of these takes are valid because they ignore the existence of Thrice Upon a Time which usurps them all.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
If you ever read the Red Cross book that came with the original screenings of the movies it’s kind of amazing how much Tsurumaki (the other director of the movie) just shits on the whole idea of doing the movie. It’s pretty ironic considering how much of his life has been Evangelion now.

Also most people mistake the episode previews from the directors cut of episode 24 to be the original idea but none of that was produced until the movie was greenlit. The original previews match the tv episodes more closely but were also very seizure inducing.

Also here’s a cut scene from the movie I hadn’t seen before. The live action part went on way longer originally but was cut.

https://vimeo.com/189200461

E: also there is documentation out there where Shinji’s VA confirms that the ending scene is modelled after something that happened to a woman Anno knew, that a man was strangling her until she gave him what he wanted by touching him.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 20, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The original versions of episodes 25 and 26? that were sent to the broadcaster (and rejected for content reasons) were basically a condensed cut of things that happened in EoE. Draw what inference from that you will.

e: honestly i might have details of this wrong, it's been a long time since i trawled through the (vague, fan-translated) magazine articles all of this comes from, plus apparently Anno and other staff members' own statements about exactly what was planned and what was done are slightly inconsistent. a lot of it's collected here if you want a starting point

Hideaki Anno during an interview with Waseda University in 2000 posted:

It was a question of, this was probably how it was supposed to be originally. That was [the basis for] the remake. What I really wanted to do was episode 25. Originally, I had planned that the television version of episode 26 would end up being like [it was]. It would have been beautiful to do the story properly up to episode 25 and then turn everything inside out with episode 26. 25 fell through, and in the end I felt we had to [finish] producing the series as things were. For the film, the main thing was that I wanted to remake episode 25. Episode 26, I thought I would beautifully recreate. I didn't expect at the time that Ayanami would become enormous, though. I felt, well, if we're going to do it let's make her the size of the planet. [unclear on last sentence]

During EoE there's a sequence where a bunch of different fan mail flashes on screen. Some of it is negative, some of it is positive (even glowing, like "i was considering suicide and your show saved my life" comes up at one point IIRC), most of it is in relation to either the TV show ending or to the Death + Rebirth recap movies. One specific piece is a death threat. Through a combination of the death threat kind of standing out even in context + a game of telephone on the English-speaking internet, this morphed into "Anno made EoE to own the people who sent him death threats" when imo the movie's trying to express something much more complicated than just that.

The show ending and EoE endings are both the real ending, regardless of whether they're contradictory or not.

i have no idea what the snow thing is even about

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 20, 2024

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I really do suggest reading Tsurumaki's thoughts in the Red Cross Book, he was pretty instrumental in helping 25' Air happen. Especially his remarks that Shinji in 25' was modelled after Anno's own despondence after the show was complete.

https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/THE_END_OF_EVANGELION_(pamphlet)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The story I always heard was that the production team being so late on turning in tapes that the scene of Misato and Kaji loving got to broadcast at 6PM on a weekday lead to gainax getting a boot put on their neck by the censors, who flatly stated that all scripts had to be approved before being animated or the show would be cancelled, and they rejected the original versions of 25-26 for having imagery that was deemed too reminiscent of the aum shinrikyo gas attacks.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The story I always heard was that the production team being so late on turning in tapes that the scene of Misato and Kaji loving got to broadcast at 6PM on a weekday lead to gainax getting a boot put on their neck by the censors, who flatly stated that all scripts had to be approved before being animated or the show would be cancelled, and they rejected the original versions of 25-26 for having imagery that was deemed too reminiscent of the aum shinrikyo gas attacks.

The story I heard was the budget was cut because of violence? Possibly in the fight where the dummy plug is used? And that the gas attacks story meant they had to rewrite an earlier episode, I think the one that ended up being the power outage one? I could probably just look it up but I guess we're sharing the nge urban myths we grew up with now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

None of these takes are valid because they ignore the existence of Thrice Upon a Time which usurps them all.

INCORRECT, the existence of subsequent work in no way nullifies what came before or its interpretations. It's true that EoE is no longer the last word of Evangelion but its relationship to the show is still as valid as it ever was.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Personally I just go with they're different universes or whatever with varying choices changing the outcome. gently caress reality, headcanon more fun.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Thematically I always saw TV and EoE as iterative rather than in conflict (EoE is, largely, Shinji trying to put the lessons of his introspection from TV into practice and failing brutally) and to be frank, both the TV ending and EoE get so metatextual that I don’t think trying to square any circle of narrative literalism is worth the effort

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
EoTV and EoE are alternate paths, as said by some of the people working on EoE. There are also little hints that while the events may play out similarly, there are differences in whatever went down (Rei clothed vs unclothed when meeting Gendo, Ritsuko shot in the front vs the back.) The metaphor that was given was of alternate endings to a game, I believe.

That doesn't mean they don't complement each other or one is superior or one overwrites the other. Both have different lessons and seemingly demonstrate different takes on the ending and metaphysical concepts. EoTV depicts Gendo "winning" and a particular version of Instrumentality that isn't the amorphous egoless hell of EoE. EoE depicts SEELE "winning" and a much darker version of Instrumentality. EoTV is a much more uplifting ending whereas EoE is an existential nightmare from start to finish.

Acting as if EoE is the true untold final ending that overwrites EoTV is doing a disservice to both, I think, and results from fans wanting to "solve" Evangelion. No different from how fans need for the Rebuild films to be sequels to End of Evangelion and not just their own thing that put a different spin on the universe.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think End of Evangelion is also a movie with an optimistic message. It's just a tiny flicker of hope under a pile of yikes

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Saw EoE on the big screen. Just as trippy, pretty and inscrutable as I remember.

Unfortunately the house lights came on just as giant Rei’s head started coming off. Must have been automated to turn on when the credits would roll during a normal movie.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kaiju15 posted:

Saw EoE on the big screen. Just as trippy, pretty and inscrutable as I remember.

Unfortunately the house lights came on just as giant Rei’s head started coming off. Must have been automated to turn on when the credits would roll during a normal movie.

Same to all of that including the drat lights. Oh well, worth it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Offhand, what theater chain did you see it at? That didn't happen at the AMC I was in.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Kaiju15 posted:

mine did that too but i actually thought it was cool. it was like me and the rest of the theater were getting pulled out of instrumentality and back into beautiful and scary world of human experience

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Could've heard a pin drop in the theatre during the opening hospital scene when I saw it in Madison on Sunday

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

seeing this on the big screen was powerful. i'm really happy i went

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Midjack posted:

Offhand, what theater chain did you see it at? That didn't happen at the AMC I was in.

Marcus

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

EoTV and EoE are alternate paths, as said by some of the people working on EoE. There are also little hints that while the events may play out similarly, there are differences in whatever went down (Rei clothed vs unclothed when meeting Gendo, Ritsuko shot in the front vs the back.) The metaphor that was given was of alternate endings to a game, I believe.

That doesn't mean they don't complement each other or one is superior or one overwrites the other. Both have different lessons and seemingly demonstrate different takes on the ending and metaphysical concepts. EoTV depicts Gendo "winning" and a particular version of Instrumentality that isn't the amorphous egoless hell of EoE. EoE depicts SEELE "winning" and a much darker version of Instrumentality. EoTV is a much more uplifting ending whereas EoE is an existential nightmare from start to finish.

Acting as if EoE is the true untold final ending that overwrites EoTV is doing a disservice to both, I think, and results from fans wanting to "solve" Evangelion. No different from how fans need for the Rebuild films to be sequels to End of Evangelion and not just their own thing that put a different spin on the universe.

There are so many conflicting accounts of what is going on with the ending, which I think is kind of the fun of it. Some things are more cut and dry but a lot is left up to interpretation. I largely feel that EoTV, EoE and (Rebuild spoilers) Rebuild are all cycles of Shinji trying to find happiness. The relationship between Shinji and Gendo is crucial to Evangelion and EoTV barely addresses it. EoE doesn't have Gendo and Shinji interacting at all. Thrice Upon a Time (the third time we're seeing a world recreated by Shinji, even though all of the Kaworu coffins on the moon imply there have been far more than three reboots) finally has Shinji and Gendo do what they should have done the whole time: talk and resolve their relationship.

Seeing EoE in the theater also really made it clear, so many things in Rebuild (especially Thrice) are either thematic or direct callbacks to EoE. I'd go as far as just calling EoE and Rebuild sequels to EoTV.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Anno wanted to spite the fans he wouldn't have made such a good film imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think End of Evangelion is also a movie with an optimistic message. It's just a tiny flicker of hope under a pile of yikes

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If Anno wanted to spite the fans he wouldn't have made such a good film imo

:hai:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like the rebuilds because of the iterative nature of the series - I think both EoE and the rebuilds don't work without having seen the TV series first, and the rebuilds need the show and EoE to work. It's cool to me to see the growth of both Shinji and Anno in the different works.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Seeing my absolute #1 favorite movie of all time in the theater just hit so loving different. The big screen, the audio levels being so high, the mixing, the credits at the middle being such a great built in intermission and of course the cold blooded ending and the lights turning on. Everyone was just stunned and quiet. I've watched this movie so many times and this is the hardest its ever hit me. What a masterpiece.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
saw the end of eva on sunday, and my first reaction was to look over at my girlfriend & call her a loving monster because she was planning on having me go in blind. i'm happy she had a change of heart, and actually rewatched the series with me beforehand.

i'm honestly surprised, and lowkey pissed off, at the fact that i had somehow missed out on this series. the only drawback to seeing the movie on the big screen was watching it with other people.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

saw the end of eva on sunday, and my first reaction was to look over at my girlfriend & call her a loving monster because she was planning on having me go in blind. i'm happy she had a change of heart, and actually rewatched the series with me beforehand.

i'm honestly surprised, and lowkey pissed off, at the fact that i had somehow missed out on this series. the only drawback to seeing the movie on the big screen was watching it with other people.

worth it. So happy you saw the whole series and welcome to the evangelion journey. Time for the rebuilds

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

worth it. So happy you saw the whole series and welcome to the evangelion journey. Time for the rebuilds

the rebuilds are definitely on the list. 👍

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

My kid wanted their bf to come watch blind, which turned out hilarious and he's now on board to binge it all to understand lmao. Another convert!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

You don't have to spoiler tag end of evangelion, it's 27 years old

Wait, the show where he jerks off on his girlfriend's corpse?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

nine-gear crow posted:

He's really hosed up

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Comatose girlfriend, not corpse. Sexual assault, not necrophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

asuka is not shinji's girlfriend, she's incredibly clear on this point: "i'd rather die"