Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks to every other giant robot show people had been trained to think that the first thing that would cross a 14 year-old's mind when told to pilot a giant robot against a deadly unknown enemy that will probably end in his death is 'gently caress yeah!' So him going 'gently caress no' was like crazy talk, what are you some sort of wuss?

I always liked even just the surface read of Eva deconstructing anime and robot shows by saying: this is actually what happens when you stick a nice, compassionate 14 year old into a huge killing machine and tell him he has to save the world at all costs, p.s. you're an rear end in a top hat for thinking killing is easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Wachter posted:

In Evangelion, a meek, frightened child has to climb back inside his mother before he's strong enough to fight the monsters, which causes his love interests to despise him, die, and/or end the world.

This sums up Eva perfectly. :colbert:.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

I just finished the original series and the eoe ending.

What the gently caress?

That's really all I have to say, the show was really good but by the end of it my brain exploded. I'm thinking about watching rebuild, but I don't know, because what the gently caress.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kiran posted:

What the gently caress?

That's really all I have to say, the show was really good but by the end of it my brain exploded. I'm thinking about watching rebuild, but I don't know, because what the gently caress.

It's simple, really.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Kiran posted:

What the gently caress?

Rebuild will not answer any questions.

That what the gently caress feeling is evangelion!

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Kiran posted:

What the gently caress?

That's okay! The producers understand that NGE wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and they've retooled it for a wider audience this is a filthy lie. The Rebuild series features:
  • Thrilling battles on land, sea, air, and space!
    • Note: said battles are interpersed with, and often contain, copious amount of what the gently caress
  • Unlocking hidden powers when one of your nakama is threatened so that you can save the day!
    • Note: said powers will tend to produce large quantities of what the gently caress
  • An exciting new character who can explain the backstory while providing new romantic entanglements for our beloved characters!
    • Note: said character may not actually choose to explain anything, nor show any romantic inclination whatsoever. Rest assured that this character will, nonetheless, contribute a healthy dose of what the gently caress
  • New mechs! Did you feel that all of the mechs in the series followed a common template which became boring after a while? Well, we've spiced things up with a whole palette of exotic designs, weapons, and special powers!
    • Note: the plot resolution will probably never hinge on the outcome of a climactic 1-on-1 mech duel, batteries will still get depleted whenever it's convenient for the writers, and most of the new mech designs rely heavily on the design principle of "what the gently caress"
  • Musical training montage! Everyone loves a good montage!
    • Note: a typical training montage uses an exciting soundtrack and teaches the protagonist a skill which will help to defeat his enemies. This one uses a soothing soundtrack and involves the protagonist learning to play a musical instrument. waitaminute he already knows how to play the cello and the pacing in this movie is already shot-to-hell why are you spending so much time on this montage what the gently caress

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

GulMadred posted:

That's okay! The producers understand that NGE wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and they've retooled it for a wider audience this is a filthy lie. The Rebuild series features:
  • Thrilling battles on land, sea, air, and space!
    • Note: said battles are interpersed with, and often contain, copious amount of what the gently caress
  • Unlocking hidden powers when one of your nakama is threatened so that you can save the day!
    • Note: said powers will tend to produce large quantities of what the gently caress
  • An exciting new character who can explain the backstory while providing new romantic entanglements for our beloved characters!
    • Note: said character may not actually choose to explain anything, nor show any romantic inclination whatsoever. Rest assured that this character will, nonetheless, contribute a healthy dose of what the gently caress
  • New mechs! Did you feel that all of the mechs in the series followed a common template which became boring after a while? Well, we've spiced things up with a whole palette of exotic designs, weapons, and special powers!
    • Note: the plot resolution will probably never hinge on the outcome of a climactic 1-on-1 mech duel, batteries will still get depleted whenever it's convenient for the writers, and most of the new mech designs rely heavily on the design principle of "what the gently caress"
  • Musical training montage! Everyone loves a good montage!
    • Note: a typical training montage uses an exciting soundtrack and teaches the protagonist a skill which will help to defeat his . This one uses a soothing soundtrack and involves the protagonist learning to play a musical instrument. waitaminute he already knows how to play the cello and the pacing in this movie is already shot-to-hell why are you spending so much time on this montage what the gently caress

yeaaaahup. Pretty much outlines all my negative thoughts of the third rebuild.

On the other hand, I've just finished "Evangelion 3rd Impact" the rhythm eva game.

Two important things, it's produced by Suda 51 and it tells the story of the rebuild movies through Rythym, I enjoyed it alot more that I did the three rebuild movies combined.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

GulMadred posted:

Musical training montage! Everyone loves a good montage!
  • Note: a typical training montage uses an exciting soundtrack and teaches the protagonist a skill which will help to defeat his enemies. This one uses a soothing soundtrack and involves the protagonist learning to play a musical instrument. waitaminute he already knows how to play the cello and the pacing in this movie is already shot-to-hell why are you spending so much time on this montage what the gently caress

I actually thought that montage is pretty good at establishing some kind of deeper connection between Kaworu and Shinji. It was certainly much better then the original series in which Kaworu shows up and tells Shinji that they're best friends so then they are. You could actually see Shinji having fun and getting out of his own head.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
I remember hearing once that when they were recording Asuka's last line in EoE, it was originally something else, but they didn't like the sound of it. Then anno asked the voice actor what she would say in response to the hospital scene, and they used that.

So, the true english translation of that last line is "what the gently caress". Which is a perfect last line for EoE. :mysterysolved:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's important to keep in mind that End of Evangelion is basically a big angry "gently caress you" to people who complained about how the original show ended.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

notZaar posted:

It's important to keep in mind that End of Evangelion is basically a big angry "gently caress you" to people who complained about how the original show ended.

No it isn't.

The plot structure of EoE predates the TV ending (they basically wanted to air a 40-minute version of EoE and the censor told them to take a hike) and the overall fan response to how the show ended was mostly positive.

The movie contains footage of death threats that Anno / Gainax received, but it also contains footage of letters praising them for the series, including one from a depressed teenager who wanted to thank Anno for showing him that things can turn around for anyone, now matter how hosed up they are. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 9, 2014

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

On the other hand, I've just finished "Evangelion 3rd Impact" the rhythm eva game.

Two important things, it's produced by Suda 51 and it tells the story of the rebuild movies through Rythym, I enjoyed it alot more that I did the three rebuild movies combined.

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS I NEED IT NOW.
Suda51 + Eva???
Sign me up

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No it isn't.

The plot structure of EoE predates the TV ending (they basically wanted to air a 40-minute version of EoE and the censor told them to take a hike)

Yeah, you can even see scenes from EoE in the last two episodes. Misato dead near the elevator, Asuka in her Eva under the lake and Ritsuko floating in the LCL sea without any context, it's pretty obvious EoE was the ending they had always planned to do.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There are so many myths about the production of EoE and the ending. There's this online video series called Folding Ideas(?) where a guy with a puppet made of cardboard tries to make serious and deep observations/declarations of films, and his EoE video is just a STREEEEEAAAAAM of misinformation. Made him look really stupid.

But anyway, the basic order of events is:

October 1995-March 1996: The series airs for the first time in a kids slot after Ninja Turtles in the afternoon. Episodes were made sequentially 3 months before their air date, and around halfway the story and ending changed, hence the introspective but cobbled together look of the final episodes. Although it wasn't as explosively successful initially as modern fans would think, Evangelion The Movie was concepted and greenlit before the show finished airing.

1996: Evangelion is re-aired at a later timeslot where it gains a significantly larger audience and following who are loving hyped about the movie coming next year.

March 1997: The movie, Evangelion: Death and Rebirth, premieres. Death is a cool summary of the series, Rebirth was supposed to be a whole movie but had to be a preview for another movie because Gainax are known for their timeliness. The abrupt ending of Rebirth is what all the EoE death threats are alluding to, not the series ending.

July 1997: End of Evangelion premieres and concludes the rest of Rebirth.

2001?: Directors Cut versions of episodes 21-24 are released on DVD to better tie into the EoE ending. They are new content, not originally discarded content put back in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Suda51 + Eva???
Sign me up

http://evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/Evangelion_New_Theatrical_Edition:_3nd_Impact

Came out a couple of years ago. I picked it up on a whim from a shop in Los Angeles shortly after release; it's still sealed on my shelf.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Suda51 + Eva???
Sign me up

It's not spectacularly Suda 51 ish. As it's a relatively basic but fun rhythm game.

You can complete it in about and hour but it's a fun way to go through the first two rebuild movies.

I bought it from a website over here in china called Taobao. I wouldn't pay more than the equivalent of 100RMB.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
So is there any sign whatsoever of a release date for 3.33 in the US?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

So is there any sign whatsoever of a release date for 3.33 in the US?

I don't think there is and it irritates me. I wasn't able to make any special theater showings.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Squallege posted:

I don't think there is and it irritates me. I wasn't able to make any special theater showings.

Really don't see what the point was in pushing off a 2 months out release date for the sake of a very limited theatrical release in the first place. The complete lack of a new date, or any information whatsoever, is definitely getting annoying.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Zebulon posted:

Really don't see what the point was in pushing off a 2 months out release date for the sake of a very limited theatrical release in the first place. The complete lack of a new date, or any information whatsoever, is definitely getting annoying.

The worst part is they never really explained their reasoning behind the push other than "overwhelming demand". Which I don't think there really was going by the sparse as gently caress special showings list. They all ended after a week or so in January so they should've announced something then. Instead they kept us in the dark. :(

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The worst part is they never really explained their reasoning behind the push other than "overwhelming demand". Which I don't think there really was going by the sparse as gently caress special showings list. They all ended after a week or so in January so they should've announced something then. Instead they kept us in the dark. :(

Nobody really goes crazy for Eva in the west anymore. It's all attack on Titan or naruto/bleach/shounen crap. The Eva era is over. I doubt we'll see a bluray release before the forth film is out.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Sadly, it's standard operating procedure for Funi. Make a mistake on a disc, and have to push its release back due to scheduling other releases with distributors. The "overwhelming theatrical demand" was an obvious lie that people fell for because "we can trust Funi!"

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Nobody really goes crazy for Eva in the west anymore. It's all attack on Titan or naruto/bleach/shounen crap. The Eva era is over. I doubt we'll see a bluray release before the forth film is out.
Considering no date has been given for the fourth film in Japan and that Funi seems to be targeting a holiday release for 3.33, this is idiotic.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

Considering no date has been given for the fourth film in Japan and that Funi seems to be targeting a holiday release for 3.33, this is idiotic.

It's been, what, 7 years since the first rebuild movie? With a 2015 tentative release date for the final part that's 8 years to retell a story that was told in less than 2.

All I meant was that other things anime has taken people's attention and Eva as a contemporary piece of fiction aimed at the target audience of teenagers-20 somethings has wained due to its age/accessibility.

Eva is still there but, it's not the money spinner it used to be, so there's no rush to get it released.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Funimation has appeared on the ANNCast a few times and they've straight up said that the previous 2 Eva movies have been a gigantic hit for them.

Which makes the delays all the weirder! I know that they've mentioned that part of the licensing requirements for each movie was a theatrical run, but that has been fulfilled for months now.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Yeah, these movies have sold like gangbusters on DVD and Blu-Ray. They've even done well in US theaters relatively speaking. 3.0 grossed $175,000 in a limited run (and by limited I mean maybe two or three showings a day at most theaters) with no advertizing. If I had to guess, I'd say that 3.0 will be out by August. I doubt they push it so far back that it releases during the holidays.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
3 was supposed to come out in like february :laugh:

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Robert Denby posted:

Yeah, these movies have sold like gangbusters on DVD and Blu-Ray. They've even done well in US theaters relatively speaking. 3.0 grossed $175,000 in a limited run (and by limited I mean maybe two or three showings a day at most theaters) with no advertizing. If I had to guess, I'd say that 3.0 will be out by August. I doubt they push it so far back that it releases during the holidays.
Solicitations until July have been revealed and it's not on any of them. July solicitations are the last big gasp before the summer convention rush, which is where you want to promote your big titles before the buying holidays in Nov/Dec. I just doubt we'll see it until then at this point if they're not going to be putting it out at AX, SDCC, Otakon, and NYCC where a lot of sales are made for them and through other retailers there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Still, it'd be really stupid of them to push something back from February all the way to the other end of the year. Surely they aren't that incompetent.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Still, it'd be really stupid of them to push something back from February all the way to the other end of the year. Surely they aren't that incompetent.
This is a company who:
  • Put up the logo for a show's radio broadcast instead of the original title and kept it up despite at least 5 contacts with PR/support about it.
  • Released a horror show with broadcast masters because they didn't double-check (still waiting for replacement release)
  • Released a premium edition for a show with boxes that were slanted to one side, decided not to issue a recall until it was pointed out by RightStuf, shipped out replacement boxes via RS, and then the replacement boxes were too thin to hold the contents without shaking the cases out.
Trust me, NA companies are incredibly incompetent. It's a financial decision to wait until the holiday rush when more people are likely to buy it at a higher price. The NA market is incredibly thrifty now, so maximize what you can get.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
So the big question

When is 4.0 going to come out?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

lyricaldanichan posted:

So the big question

When is 4.0 going to come out?

I will bet money next year, to coincide with the actual date of the series.

Or 2029 for the timeskip :v:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I haven't watched the series since I was about fifteen and I'm going back now and doing a rewatch. Is it bad my memories of all the insanity from later episodes is having me bored at the opening stuff?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You'd think people would learn nothing will ever live up to your nostalgia from puberty after the fact. Let it lie in the past and just watch the movies instead.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

notZaar posted:

You'd think people would learn nothing will ever live up to your nostalgia from puberty after the fact. Let it lie in the past and just watch the movies instead.

I've seen rebuild. To be frank this isn't something I'm watching for nostalgia's sake. Y'know how you watch something at different ages to see if you can understand it more? That's kind of the idea. Combination of more life experience plus just better understand of the psychological issues has me curious. End falls under that, but only because I remember it being one of the most horrifying things I'd seen back then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheManSeries posted:

So I haven't watched the series since I was about fifteen and I'm going back now and doing a rewatch. Is it bad my memories of all the insanity from later episodes is having me bored at the opening stuff?
I think that's a fair assessment all things considered. The first third of Evangelion is relatively speaking a by-the-numbers giant robot show and isn't what made the franchise notable/famous/infamous.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's true to a certain extent, but I think even the opening episodes have enough of the Anno/GAINAX touch to elevate it above the average giant robot show. Certainly the art direction, soundtrack and general direction are a cut above the norm.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheManSeries posted:

I've seen rebuild. To be frank this isn't something I'm watching for nostalgia's sake. Y'know how you watch something at different ages to see if you can understand it more? That's kind of the idea. Combination of more life experience plus just better understand of the psychological issues has me curious. End falls under that, but only because I remember it being one of the most horrifying things I'd seen back then.

I've found the best way to place the early episodes is to think of them in terms of what they say about Shinji and Misato's personalities. Especially Misato, she's a much more central character than I ever noticed on my first viewing.

Like in episode 1, Shinji is totally ready to defy his father and leave until Gendo threatens to push his task off on an injured Rei -- he's motivated by preventing someone else's suffering, not praise-seeking. So later when he claims that's why he pilots, is he lying to himself, or did his motivations change?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 23, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

No, the beginning is pretty good but if you're watching Eva for the insane poo poo it's no wonder you're a bit bored at this. That said I do think Eva's progression from the mundane to the mystical is one of its most important attributes.

sbagliom
Mar 27, 2010

SOCIALISM IS DEAD
The first 15 episodes are essential because they're the set up for the fall. I think they're really enjoyable and that the show would have still been great if it had continued in that style, but the power of the last half comes from the fact that (the collective) we don't want the fun parts to end. We want it to continue with romance and fight scenes and groovy stuff like that - but it can't continue like that, and the characters can't follow those paths, and it makes it doubly frustrating and depressing (and great and radical and so forth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I've been slowly re watching the episodes myself and I'm really enjoying trying to untangle the characters' motivations and underlying problems, in anticipation of them crashing into them head first in the final act. I can't imagine people would have seen it as by the numbers even when it was airing. Obviously on paper the Angel set up smells of monster of the week, though.