Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Amnomia posted:

i like asuka shes the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mari is probably something silly like one of the first Eva pilots and is therefore like 60 or something. The movie won't even touch the subject and we will have to wait another 10 years for a videogame to spell it out for to us.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you talk about the video games like they are canon I'm gonna literally eat yr first born child.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

If Mari is anything but fan-service in the final movie then I will literally explode in existential angst.

She's slowly grown to be one of my favorite characters and idk really why.

I have a theory shes actually part of Asuka.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's some picture of like shinji's mom? I think? and there's someone in it who looks like mari ? I forget when we see it, I think it's 3.0.

Basically I think she's a clone!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you talk about the video games like they are canon I'm gonna literally eat yr first born child.

Jokes on you, this is the Evangelion thread.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't get it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't get it.

And that makes it Eva

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And that makes it Eva

oh its u. hi.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't get it.

Please put this in the op tia.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

oh its u. hi.

hellooo

I only really frequent like 3-4 threads of very very disparate topics (Eva, Republican Schadenfreude, UFC, hating on the xbone, fighting game community stuff) and I'm always constantly amazed at the crossover of users between them.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's some picture of like shinji's mom? I think? and there's someone in it who looks like mari ? I forget when we see it, I think it's 3.0.

Basically I think she's a clone!!

More likely the result of some instrumentality shinanigans. Mari reminds me of the aspects that Asuka had in the original series but not the rebuild.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

rei is actually the best sorry

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Fuckboy spotted

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah that was my dumb theory from a thread and a half ago. I'll be very surprised if it's actually the case, though, it's probably just someone else with brown hair and glasses.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Which one? There are DOZENS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah that was my dumb theory from a thread and a half ago. I'll be very surprised if it's actually the case, though, it's probably just someone else with brown hair and glasses.

Well, it's not like any of the other pilots or pilot candidates aren't missing a mother with connections to Gehirn

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 19, 2014

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Midjack posted:

Which one? There are DOZENS.

Rei III from TV/EoE since she actually possesses free will.

I saw earlier versions of that "Rebuild is a direct sequel to EoE/Eva is a continuous loop" picture and knew most of the stuff on it, but I didn't know that Rei's tracks on the 1.0 soundtrack are Rei IV and Rei V. Even the names of the songs on the soundtrack try to mess with your head.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

what do you guys think about watching the english dub? from what i glimpsed of the PE voices i didn't like it very much.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

For NGE and EoE, it's hilariously bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrPop posted:

For NGE and EoE, it's hilariously bad.
The best parts are e/ Amanda Winn Lee's commentary on how she needed to amp up some parts

"HIT 'EM AGAIN!"
*fwoosh*

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Amnomia posted:

what do you guys think about watching the english dub? from what i glimpsed of the PE voices i didn't like it very much.
The secondary and minor characters are not very good, but the main cast are all good in their own way. I.e., I don't think much of Spike Spencer's acting chops but he's perfect for Shinji, Allison Keith's Misato starts off poorly but rapidly improves to the point that I prefer her to Kotono Mitsuishi by the end, and Tristan MacAvery, Amanda Winn Lee, Tiffany Grant, and Sue Ulu all did great jobs.

I did hear the dub first, which most likely colors my impression a bit in its favor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The EoE dub is a goddamned travesty, and I say this as someone who liked Spencer's Shinji. Grant's Asuka was consistently enjoyable, though I've been told I'm high off my rear end when I make those claims.:shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I like the theory that Mari is basically Shinji's opposite - brave, confident, well-adjusted, personable... and of course female. So maybe she's him from an alternate timeline/sliders dimension where everything is opposite.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Prehaps, Mari is, mutch like Tsundere and Dishrag before her, an archetypal waifu of some sort, a sociopath mabye? :smuggo:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Mari is a Mary Sue, as in Hideaki Anno's post-therapy self insert. Shinji is representative of the fanbase, so her speech to him at the end of 3.0 is Anno telling us that we suck and need to grow up.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Leroy Dennui posted:

Mari is a Mary Sue, as in Hideaki Anno's post-therapy self insert. Shinji is representative of the fanbase, so her speech to him at the end of 3.0 is Anno telling us that we suck and need to grow up.

Ha, yeah I get this, makes sense.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Unfortunately, I'm a huge fuckin sucker for Eva, to the point of zealotry. I am monumentally excited for Evangelion Teaches Maths in 2015. And I'm one of those schmucks who like Rei and Asuka AND Mari.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Okay to clarify about the dub I actually think the voice actress for Asuka is really good, Shinji is okay. Rest is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

The dub led to this in EoE, which I literally posted on the last page, which sums up Eva dubbing in its entirety

http://youtu.be/9yn9RDrD3H8

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*gunshot noise*

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DrPop posted:

Okay to clarify about the dub I actually think the voice actress for Asuka is really good, Shinji is okay. Rest is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

The dub led to this in EoE, which I literally posted on the last page, which sums up Eva dubbing in its entirety

hahahhahah that's one of the most memorable lines in the film goddamn i love it

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

anyone here have the font used my evangelion? looking for mattise plus eb or some poo poo.

pm me if you know

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

DrPop posted:

lmao this is excellent

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Hyuga was secretly a black guy with Michael Jackson syndrome all along.

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Amnomia posted:

i like asuka shes the best

:agreed:

it's all correct simultaneously, but not true at all. it's whatever you want it to be, if you believe hard enough

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

*gunshot noise*

Squishsplat

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also literally true in the case of the TV series. :v:
VVV

do you have any interesting reading, links to share or further info about evangelion being made up as they went along? it's something i'm really curious about and would love to learn more

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Organs posted:

do you have any interesting reading, links to share or further info about evangelion being made up as they went along? it's something i'm really curious about and would love to learn more

I'm pretty sure there's another, more specific quote about the schedule they worked on re: writing each script almost week by week, but here's something at least:

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/19991202020017/http://www.j-pop.com/anime/archive/feature/04_gal_999/otaking.html

Toshio Okada posted:

OKADA: I think the style, or mood, of EVANGELION, is not so far, not so different, from the serious side of GUNBUSTER or NADIA. The biggest difference would have been in the style of planning the last episode. My style is to always plan the ending *first,* as I did with GUNBUSTER--everything then follows from that. In NADIA, Mr. Anno couldn't decide on the ending--it wasn't fixed until only three months before the final episode was shown. So subsequently, I was confused about NADIA, and there was a lack of control over the various episodes. EVANGELION is a very great series--I think it's one of the top anime ever made. But--the last scenes were never fixed. When I talked to Mr. Anno a month ago, he said he couldn't decide the ending until the time came. That's his style. So, if I had made EVANGELION with him, I couldn't do such a thing. I'd think I'd have to fix the ending, what would happen with every character. Then, everything would follow: the first episode, the second episode...If I wanted to show a boy's coming-of-age story, a *bildungsroman,* the last scene would show the grown-up man; the first scene, a boy who hates everything about the adult world. That would be the structure; I'm very careful about a regular construction. But Mr. Anno's style on EVANGELION was not so. He wants to put it together episode-by-episode. It's just like the style of a manga. In your typical manga, the artist doesn't have any picture of the last scene, or the last episode. They just think of building up on past episodes. And finally, the manga artist, and his assistants, and editor...[BURIES HEAD IN HANDS], they work out an idea about the last sequence. If it's a good idea, the whole episode is very good. If they can't make a good idea, the whole episode is not so good. It's an unhappy story. And I think that's what happened with the last two episodes of EVANGELION. Mr. Anno and his staff couldn't make a good idea for it. He told an anime magazine in Japan that he couldn't make what he wanted because of schedule or budget. But that's not correct. I talked with Mr. Yamaga and Mr. Anno. They said, "It's not only a problem of schedule or budget. It's a problem of what the ending is going to be." Mr. Anno couldn't decide. Mr. Anno's and my own style of production are very different.

From the same article, not relevant to the question but just because it's funny:

quote:

At the Expo, many of the fans asked Mr. Anno about episodes #25 and #26. He said, "I don't have a problem about the way it ended. If there's a problem, it's with you guys." Then he grabbed the mic and said, in English, "Too bad."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Found it! Here's the quote and article I was thinking of:

http://www.gwern.net/docs/eva/1996-newtype-anno-interview

Hideaki Anno posted:

“The development of Evangelion gives me the feeling of a ‘Live’ concert. Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan. During the production, whether listening to various opinions or analysing my own state of mind, I kept questioning myself. I got the concepts from this personal stocktaking [self-assessment]. At first I had intended to make a simple work featuring robots.

But even when the main scene became a high school, it did not differ compared to other productions in the same style. At this point, I did not really think of creating a character with two faces, two identities: one shown at school, and the other inside the organization he belongs to [Nerv]. The impression of ‘Live’ concert that gives me the birth of Eva, was the team joining me in developing it, in the manner of an improvisation: someone plays the guitar and, in response, the drums and bass are added. The performance ended with the TV broadcasting ending. We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done.

It took longer than usual. When we finished a screenplay, we went back and checked it against the previous ones. When we said: ‘Ah, I thought so, that’s wrong there’, we made corrections to the storyboard. In fact, with the last episode approaching, we have not even been able to finish on time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

DrPop posted:

Most minor characters in the dub actually are better-voiced than some of the main/secondary characters, but the Prime Minister's secretary takes the cake for phoning things in.

"Mankind is perhaps the only creature capable of hating its own kind :geno:"