Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OK, finally saw 3.0 at Otakon.

Reserving judgement till we get 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Of course, with a bit of thinking/AMVs... (obviously, spoilers are involved with the video, and the payoff is worth it if you watch/listen all the way through the first time).

God drat it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

Whether it's Doritos, horse racing, or razors. I love when Eva marketing shows up.

It is almost always the best thing. I'm frankly amazed they didn't officially license sex toys. Or did that happen when I wasn't paying attention?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Life is too short to waste watching recaps.

If you're not sure about the series, watch Death. If you like it but want more detail, watch the full show. Either way, proceed to End of Evangelion and then into the Rebuilds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Well for those of us who were hoping Unit 2+8 wasn't going to happen...

http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/09/20/191/index.html

As if anything in the trailer for 3.0 actually happened in the movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pro click.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smdkenobi posted:

Great conversation and thread everyone. I'm a chronic lurker, but I felt compelled to contribute this email Amazon sent me:

"We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]"
Previous estimated arrival date: February 18, 2014
New estimated arrival date: January 08, 2014 - January 11, 2014"

As a huge fan of the series, the rebuild has been just the ticket to bring me back. Although the sub of 3.0 I watched a few months ago left me with mixed feelings....

I got that too, which was coincident with Funimation announcing that the release was delayed, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going tonight mostly for the novelty of seeing it in a theater. Last time I saw an animated ova in a cinema was the Cowboy Bebop movie in 2003.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Which basically going by the Facebook where they announce new theaters was them adding two chicago showings and mysteriously removing the Minneapolis showing.

As somebody who lives in a market that Funimation doesn't care about (Wisconsin). The delay comes off as not to focus on a more expansive theatrical release but instead systematically gently caress over anybody who doesn't live in a bigger market like Texas or California.

Of course its a mixed loving blessing because I took the time to watch 3.33 last night and just found it to be simply awful. Hopefully 4.0 is good but 3.0 just felt like a kick in the face.

Evangelion remains as polarizing as ever; about 1/3 of the audience in the theater I was in tonight felt the same.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

Subtitles during last nights showing felt a little rushed, would have expected something a little better for an official release.

It was dubs at mine. Obviously being played off a disc, I guess they let the theaters choose.

Also yeah, the weaboo fucks at the box I was in were hooting anytime kaworu was on the screen.

EDIT: vvvvv Useful to know. I saw subs at Otakon so I'm not too worried about catching them again.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That reminds me, what's going on with the rights to the original series? The movies have been in limbo since forever but has the TV series basically vanished as well?

One of the "ADV Voltron" companies (Aesir) had it but hasn't done anything with it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS I NEED IT NOW.
Suda51 + Eva???
Sign me up

http://evangelion.wikia.com/wiki/Evangelion_New_Theatrical_Edition:_3nd_Impact

Came out a couple of years ago. I picked it up on a whim from a shop in Los Angeles shortly after release; it's still sealed on my shelf.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Robin Williams as Gendou Ikari.

brb, setting up a tent at Grauman's this weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

I'm not really into Evangelion or anime in general anymore, but no matter how my tastes change, I'll always loving love this song.

It's really a good song, but somehow not what I would have picked for the soundtrack to the end of the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bisse posted:

That makes it a lot less creepy and a lot more cool.

Someone earlier posted something like "the world's biggest Asuka fan isn't some weird dude in a basement. The world's biggest Asuka fan... is Asuka."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Srice posted:

When did "this doesn't make sense!" become nerd shorthand for not liking a thing, anyways...

BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT I DO NOT LIKE THINGS THAT ARE NOT LOGICAL.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anime Sandwich posted:

yeah by that i really meant just rebuild 3. what sorta time do you guys thinkthe next will come out?

There are about 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes; so just after then I expect.

Serious answer, late 2015-early 2016 in Japan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

I was linked to this: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm

Haven't been able to find any more reputable sources confirming, but if true, that's uh...unexpected.

Looks about as legit as the Tobey Maguire Robotech movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GulMadred posted:

In both versions of the fight, we were treated to reaction shots of the supporting characters staring in slack-jawed horror. It's impossible to pretend that the audience is supposed to interpret the scene as just "giant robot saves the day by punching out a giant monster; both combatants suffer some damage in the fight" (cf. Gypsy Danger v Otachi, which was PG-13) Also, the TV version ends with a human child being mutilated.

Fight Club did a similar thing in which the Narrator beat the hell out of Angel Face and the reaction shots of the crowd were what made it horrible. We only saw brief flashes of the beating but long shots of the grimacing onlookers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

So that Transformers x Evangelion thing I posted a while ago has more information.

Although, the following is all you really need to see to understand:

oh my god yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I WONDER IF BISSE WATCHED REBUILD WHILE THE BOARDS WERE DOWN!

Bisse's post about rebuild brought down the board.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I remember right several Angel names show up on the computer displays in NERV but nobody actually says the names.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing, you will probably dislike rebuild for the same reasons you disliked the show. Stop wasting your time and try something else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I mean how long are the movies? If I lose an afternoon, big deal. Not like I'm wasting money on this anyway.

309 minutes total. We warned you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Leave everything else in Japanese and sub it but put that in with no explanation or warning.

Yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress it, I'm in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The power to revolutionize the world is REALLY hosed up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

rei is actually the best sorry

Which one? There are DOZENS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess if Andrew WK can make a Gundam album and play with a HCM-Pro Nu Gundam in the liner notes, Fred Durst can have a Rei statue. :japan:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I hope the main villain will be Pen-Pen in a surprise twist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

So is there any word on when 3.0 is gonna be released in the states?

It's been a long time and I wanna see it :(

Funimation is redoing the dub. If we're lucky it'll be out exactly a year late, in January 2015.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Amazon just sent me the "it's been a while, you want to cancel?" note this week with no release date attached. 30 DEC looks like placeholder bullshit to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What's it supposed to do? It's just Shinji staring at me and nothing happens regardless of what I click.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Has there been any new word on 3.33 being released in the US? I can't believe they're going to miss out on this Christmas season.

Amazon put it back up with no release date, same as they did almost exactly a year ago, but we saw how that ended.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They already did bait and switch once with teasers, I wouldn't get too worked up over anything you see here actually being in 4.0.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Maybe we'll actually get 3.33 in English or the final Rebuild movie... or not.

Funimation has it back up on their website for pre-order so it may come out a mere year behind schedule.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Only Neat Thing to Do

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Killjoy posted:

So I found a pretty neat set of Evangelion tarot cards (And no I don't know whether this is an actual item)

The full album

Real:
http://www.amazon.com/Evangelion-Tarot-Cards-cards-JAPAN/dp/B001SN86K4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno, Kaowru isn't a terrible choice for the Moon. Probably makes more sense there then he does at Hierophant - though that might just be because I can never remember what the gently caress Hierophant is for.

A hierophant is a priest, though I don't know what the tarot association is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Want some NERV sneakers, everything else is hideous.

They're cool, but not $250 worth of cool for something I'm probably going to accidentally put into dogshit at some point.