Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Paper Lion posted:

One, Mari needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Mari's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Mari?"

I support this unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has there been anything about a US disc rerelease of the first Rebuild?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really enjoyed Mari's relationship with Asuka, especially in 3.0+1. They came off to me as being pretty close friends because Mari could keep up with Asuka and cared about her. I could be misremembering since I've only seen the movies once once but that's how it came off. I'd like to see the missing story between 2 and 3 because I assume it would show a lot more of how that relationship developed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hated that she wasn't in the first one, personally.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Eva for the first time earlier this year and I thought all of the fanservice in the original series was undercut by how awkward, juvenile and embarrassing it was. It all felt like it was coming from the perspective of the teenage characters trying to deal with their emotions and attractions but since it was Eva, none of them really could in a healthy way given the circumstances and how bad of examples adults like Misato are.

Kaji is one of the healthier people in the story and they write how he responds to Asuka's crush on him in a nuanced way. He never takes advantage of or indulges her really, just respects her having those feelings is okay but absolutely not gonna happen for a laundry list of reasons. Maybe there are counter examples to this since I did only watch it once at the start of the year.

Other than obviously people are gross, its hard for me to understand any of it as titillating, unless they watched it originally as a hormonal teenager without perspective. EoE's opening was less of a change up from the series than underlining several times how hosed up it would be to find any of this hot.

I'd need to watch the Rebuilds again but since they end up being the characters finally being able to find healthy ways of connecting, Shinji needed to learn how to be normal around a gorgeous gal with big boobs as much as he needed to be able to talk to his dad.

Maybe some of it goes too far but I feel like the series overall mostly handles things thoughtfully. It's hard to find the balance between addressing these subjects without making it weird or exploitative.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be interesting to see the missing middle movie but it is kinda fitting to have the audience completely missing these huge events along with Shinji.

The bit in 3.0+1.0 where multiple people pull guns on him blaming him for everything that we barely understand is one of the funniest bits in the whole series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Rebuild Asuka Shikinami being very explicitly a separate entity from series Asuka Sohryu makes me wonder who the Asuka in the ending is meant to be.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how the preview at the end of 2.22 is all stuff from the part of the story they skipped over.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I bought a couple of production genga that I thought the people in this thread would appreciate:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would like US physical releases of whatever .xx of Rebuild 1 and 3.0+ that we’re on now, おねがいします

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked Death (True)² as an intro into EoE when I watched everything for the first time at the end of 2021/start of 2022. The bits of extra animation stitched the vibe of the end of the series through the events cycling again into a different ending.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I was in high school or maybe junior high, my friend lent me his vhs tape of episode 1 and 2. I didn’t watch any of it again for 20 years.

After I finished the first two episodes as an adult, I briefly considered stopping there again, as a joke.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In light of the Rebuilds, I treat the anime ending and EoE as separate cycles of the story. The series ending is one in which Shinji has so little agency that Third Impact happened without him even being aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mari's primary function in the movies ends up kinda just being someone who is extremely willing to be openly affectionate and patient with Shinji and Asuka to help them get through their bullshit a little bit. I like the bits of her dynamic with Asuka because they seem like they're actually friends, on the terms that Asuka is able to work with. Her specifics other than being a disruptive force to the old character dynamics feel like an intentional mystery.