Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm going to be introducing a friend of mine to Evangelion. I think he'll enjoy the series, but I'm not sure whether to show him the final two episodes first or go straight to End of Evangelion. EoE definitely answers more questions and ties up the loose ends better, but then he doesn't get CONGRATULATIONS.

I'll wind up showing him both eventually, but which do you guys think would be better for first time viewing of the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess my concern with the original ending is that EoE wraps up the story in a much more cohesive manner. I'll absolutely be showing both, but I guess I'm mostly concerned about which tells the overall story better? And I feel a bit like that might be EoE.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm showing a friend Eva soon - she has almost no knowledge of the series aside from it having giant robots and having a lot of psychological undertones.

Do I serve her tang when we watch EoE?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Evangelion On Ice: A Musical

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Slime posted:

loving kaiju movies slowing down the release of my kaiju animes.

wait what if the new godzilla is secretly evangelion 4.0

There will be three more sequels to the new Godzilla, and in the last one it'll be revealed that the kaiju are angels and we need the Evas to come out of retirement. This entire quadrilogy of Godzilla movies will be 4.0

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

One of the most impressive bits of art in Evangelion I think is how Gendo Ikari looks a shitton like Shinji but his beard and general design is just different enough that it only becomes clear at very specific times.

It’s really impressive, and really sells that they’re father and son. I also really love this scene in general:

It gives a nice relaxing break for shinji, but also reminds us that holy poo poo these are just children. It’s just a nice little innocent moment that really helps the rest of the scenes pack more of a punch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah, the lighthearted section is pretty crucial, even if it’s not my favorite. It’s pretty stereotypical of anime in a lot of places (like Asuka talking about her boobs) but it’s intentionally that way so it can lull the viewers into the same false sense of security that shinji gets in. You get in a more lighthearted mood from the tones set, hear the opening music and think “gently caress yeah time to go wreck some angels” and get all comfy in how everything is working out!

Then… :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.theyetee.com/ Has an Eva shirt for today. Congratulations!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m fine with the dub and honestly never noticed the weird sound effects until they were pointed out to me, and even then I just shrug it off and watch the one that’s better for being lazy and not reading subtitles the whole time. For the most part the voice acting is well done and gives the emotions well so that’s good enough for me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I know about the sound effects and even when explicitly looking for them I still can never notice where they are, so ymmv.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ehh I’m not sure. The problem with another story about Shinji dealing with his personal problems / parents is that we’ve already got that story. Why tell it again? I do like the slight aspects the Rebuilds have of Shinji going TOO overboard when he gets in the robot and prematurely causes third impact. I think that could be an interesting story to examine - yeah, it’s good to not be so guarded and to believe in yourself more, but too much of it can be bad.

The rebuilds haven’t leaned super heavily into this yet, but I think they could really make it A Thing in 4.44 if they wanted to.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

I don't really understand how you think Rebuild hasn't leaned heavily into this. Its like the big point of the end of 2.22, and 3.33 is Shinji making the same mistake again.

Tbh It’s been so long since I watched rebuild 3 that I forgot it was so heavy in it, I mostly just remember it being the end of 2, and then 3 passively as the aftermath of 2. I really need to rewatch them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Let's assume 4.0 never happens. Anno gets hit by a bus tomorrow and then the studio goes bankrupt. How would you guys rate the rebuilds overall, as a trilogy? There's lots of talk about "I'm waiting to see how it ends" but what if we just treat 3.0 as the end?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally got around to watching Shin Godzilla. It was good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

In Training posted:

heres a link that probably wont get pulled since its not on youtube https://streamable.com/g44lq

I’m glad Platinum Games is finally making movies

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

the escape goat posted:

Introduced a friend to Eva last night. His biggest takeaway was "how the gently caress are you not freaking out right now because there is a penguin with a bath towel just chilling in this drunk girl's apartment"

He asked me to introduce him to a show like BoJack Horseman and I figured hey, they're both about deeply confused people in an environment they'll never be truly comfortable in, desperately trying to figure themselves out and learn how to create healthy connections with others.

Off topic, but the closest show to Bojack that I can think of is Moral Orel. The first couple episodes are a bit rough and overly cartoony but it quickly gets into the same mindset of Bojack - realistic and broken people with lovely pasts trying and failing to do good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zeruel posted:

English dub ruled
"It's hot."
"Mmmyes."

With Gendo's feet in buckets

Honestly it's my favorite out of the monster-of-the-week episodes, except for Ramiel. I love the unconventional setup.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’ve never seen any of the subs for any piece of eva media and i have no intention of ever doing so

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just watch the scene where Eva unit 1 holds Kaworu, stretched out to last the entire length of the TV series + EoE + the rebuilds + death/rebirth

E: Shinji and Misato staredown at the train station and the elevator scene are in their regular locations and included in full.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Maurice Augustus posted:

Just finished watching the original series + EoE and would be glad to read your impressions about some things which bug me;

Is Misato being overtly sexual towards Shinji just a fanservice or do you see something more besides it? In EoE, did she kiss him to break his stupor?

Why is Misato's tryst with Kaji shown as something universally deplorable? Misato is shown hating herself for seeking hollow pleasure but at the same time Kaji is a man with which she has meaningful, positive relationship. Why the attached guilt and shame? Shinji is disgusted when he sees this side of her but why? I do not understand this.

How did you interpret the infamous hospital scene at the start of EoE?

How do you compare the original ending vs EoE? Personally, I didn't mind the full-on introspection in the original ending. Are there any well-made cuts which combine these two?

What was the original goal of Gendo+Yui building the first Evas? How did Yui sold to herself working on Evas is not unnatural/evil?

How is it possible Kaworu didn't know Nerv has Lilith in the dome, not Adam? Steele, an organization pooling resources from the biggest nation-states, should be able to track Adam's movements quite easily...?

Haven’t read any other posts about this yet, but these are my interpretations / readings:

Misato’s sexuality: I think it’s partly fanservice, but also just how she expresses affection. A lot of it is her teasing Shinji to mess with him, since she knows he’s at the age where he’s real susceptible to that sort of stuff. But I think she’s insecure and gets some kind of positive reinforcement by seeing his reactions. She seems to be a very sexually active person, and her relationship with Kaji seems to be very sexually-motivated. I suspect that she (subconsciously) seeks that kind of attention. As for the kiss, I definitely think it was her trying to knock some sense into him and motivate him.

Misato and Kaji: They do seem to get along alright, but it is very clear that Misato isn’t comfortable with a relationship with him, and I think that’s reason enough to think of it as a bad thing. Knowing Eva, it’s likely BECAUSE they get along well that she doesn’t want to be with him - fear of getting close to someone, etc. As for why Shinji acted disgusted when he saw that side of her, it might just be him not wanting to see that side of HER, personally. There’s likely some jealousy there.

EoE Hospital scene: a lot of people say this is directly making fun of anime nerds, but I never really saw it as that. Just Shinji being in a really dark place and feeling frustrated with the world and himself, and taking it out in that way. Not just taking it out on Asuka, but also taking it out on himself - he does something he know is terrible, then berates himself about it immediately afterwards.

EoE vs original Ending: I think they work well in tandem. I enjoy the completely introspective style of the original, but I also appreciate the pure craziness of EoE. I like the positivity of the original, but like the more grounded positivity of EoE. Also, EoE just bluntly ending with no credits or anything is the best poo poo.

Gendo+Yui: I’m not totally sure what the original goal was, honestly it was probably just scientific experimenting and researching this weird god-like thing they found. I think also SEELE was directing them in the process, trying to achieve their goals, and Yui figured that out so did the contact experiment in an attempt to future-proof the third impact.

Kaworu not knowing about Lilith: I think SEELE purposefully lied to him, in an attempt to trick him into triggering third impact. If he went back to Adam then I don’t think it would trigger an impact - but him going to Lilith would.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 12, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

?

EoE has credits.

Yeah they’re in the middle, which works great as an intermission of sorts. Go grab a coke, maybe take a bathroom break, then settle in for the third fuckin’ impact baby. Then when it ends it feels like something went wrong. Like the movie bugged out and ended early. So you replay it and watch the time and nope, that’s just how it ends. It’s so weird and disorienting after all that you just got done watching, it’s perfect and brilliant.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Maurice Augustus posted:

I think along these lines too, perhaps more straightforwardly tho. He basically does it cause he's 14 and horny. However what bugs me is why here and now? Why not earlier at home? There were several situations when they were alone with Asuka. It seemed to me this scene, along with others, is there mainly to add some shock value. I felt like in TV run besides some blatant fanservice things never went over the edge. Then in EoE there's the hospital, the kiss, "nothing personal", "hurr durr humans are the worst enemies of themselves" etc. etc. For me same thing happened in Serenity movie vs the original Firefly run.

Shinji didn't jerk off over Asuka after ripping her shirt open when they lived together because then she would know about it and his life would be ruined. He also wasn't at literally the lowest point in his life when they lived together. Him masturbating over her when she's in a coma is not just for shock value, it's there to show how horrible of a state of mind Shinji is in.

Also hwo the gently caress does "14 and horny" equate to sexually assaulting someone?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly even if Anno himself went on live TV and declared that the Christian symbols were fake bullshit that mean nothing, who cares? All that matters is what you get out of them and what they mean to you. Death of the author and all that poo poo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I saw both endings having the same message - sometimes you need to deal with the pain of life to be happy, but it's worthwhile to do so. Original ending kind of just leaves it at that, except with a bit more "I have value!" added on too. EoE goes "okay, that's good and all, but it's a long hard road to happiness, and you'll need to work for it."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My theory is Yui did the contact experiment just to see what would happen and didn’t think she’d get absorbed into the eva, and the whole thing about that making it so Shinji could hijack third impact was just a happy coincidence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

KidDynamite posted:

So just finished the TV series and EoE on netflix. I liked it for the most part, but I really don't get why Shinji felt so torn up about Kowaru a dude he met a day a go that was nice to him and also made him horny but was also an Angel sent to gently caress things up. Like Toji exists and what happened there was way worse.

I think it’s important to realize it’s the first time Shinji himself is the one to make the call to murder someone. The Toji thing was more brutal, but Shinji wasn’t the one who actually did it - it was the dummy plug assuming control. With Kowaru, Shinji is the one who makes the decision to pull the trigger, that’s what makes it so brutal to him. Also of course it’s to the one person that actually has offered him unconditional love, something he’s seeked out for the entirety of the series up to that point. He finally got what he wanted, but then was put into a position where he had to force himself to lose it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Frankly I'm still shocked that someone in this thread apparently couldn't get why Shinji reacted so strongly after killing Kowaru. Like even ignoring all the other poo poo going on, he still killed someone for the first time. Someone who was important to Shinji in some way. Like that alone isn't enough to cause years of trauma, let alone being mopey for a few days lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zeruel posted:

Is there an Oyasumi Punpun anime yet?

If only :smith: I believe Asano said he never wants an anime of it to be made.

Everyone in here should go ready Oyasumi Punpun / Goodnight Punpun, it's some real fuckin good sadbrain manga, hits a lot of the same emotional notes as Eva does.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Can you imagine the sheer rage if Netflix was like "We're paying Anno/Trigger/ProdIG to make more Evangelion!!!*

*"More" as in lovely Netflix CGI a-la-Saint Seiya

Maybe we can get FLCL 4!!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
FLCL 2 and 3 were both mediocre. I wouldn't call them bad, they both have some interesting and entertaining stuff in them, but overall they're meh. The problem is the original is one of the best anime ever made so they definitely fall very short of it and look much worse in comparison. I do think they get a bit of a bad rap and would be viewed a bit more positively if they didn't have the FLCL association, but they're both still kind of forgettable.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Something to also keep in mind with regards to the "rushed" character development (which I only partially agree with) is that this is unfortunately a movie and not a series. The total runtime of the movies is around 3.5 hours shorter than the series+EoE, but also had to be split up into 4 distinct parts. I'd say this setup makes it much harder to really do as deep and intricate character development compared to the original. They can't as easily have a character take several episodes to overcome some trauma, etc. Admittedly they could have introduced fewer new characters to give older ones more focus.

Thinking about it in terms of in-universe time passing, Shinji's development in the rebuilds seems more realistic than in the series/EoE? He gets at least a month or so, possibly several months, to work through his trauma and issues, with a direct support network of friends that care about him. In the original he mopes around for what seems like only a few days before the attack on NERV happens, and then he just mopes around until getting in the robot and is gung-ho to end humanity until he has a single internal dialogue / conversation that helps him realize people are cool, actually. Like Shinji's growth in the rebuilds seems way more believable when looked at from this perspective, we just don't get the very detailed and introspective dialogue from the original, so maybe it seems more rushed / less organic? And this is coming from someone who struggled hard with depression for at least a decade so I'm not wholly unfamiliar with these experiences, relatively.

I mean even the rebuilds are super rushed from a real world perspective, cus learning to deal with horrible trauma is definitely not something you can just get over in only a few months lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even after watching it I don't really get why it was called 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time.

Like it kinda makes sense cus of time loop stuff but also not really.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that bit at the end with "Guess who?" / "Uh.. a girl with glasses and big boobs?" was enough to sell me on the idea of Shinji and Mari as a functional adult couple in a healthy relationship--doubly so because everyone else but Kaworu who he's been paired with up to this point was unbelievably toxic for him, and him for them.

Honestly I've always thought Shinji's relationship with Kaworu wasn't particularly healthy. He's never really treated Shinji as a person, he just fawned over him with Shinji not having to do anything or grow as a person. He enabled Shinji to be his worst self and just said "I love you anyways!" When you're super deep in depression you want someone like this, and it can be comforting, but it's not a long-term solution. It's not as obviously toxic or abusive as his other relationships, but it's unhealthy overall because it essentially enables Shinji's worst aspects.

Toji, Kensuke, and Lookalike all provided much healthier friendships as they were just as supportive, but in a way that encouraged him to grow as a person.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

Kaworu's interesting since he's both the best and the worst of Shinji's standard shipping options. On the one end, he's the only one who doesn't ever try to hurt him. Kaworu offers a sincere and unconditional love.

On the other, he never encourages Shinji to grow, and Shinji... kinda needs to. For all the harm that comes to him with Rei and Asuka, they also help him grow to be a better person at the same time. Kaworu (with the best will and the worst luck in the world) only winds up hurting him.

You can compare and contrast with his non-romantic relationships with Toji and Kensuke, the healthiest interpersonal connections in his life, to see that dynamic a little more. Toji and Kensuke push him more, even when they're giving him breathing room. They suggest things, they question things, and they'll even call Shinji out sometimes. They give him incentive to move forward, even when they make it clear they've always got his back.

And they show it best in this film. Kensuke, Hikari, Lookalike, and Toji provide Shinji the best support he's ever had when he needs it the most. He's encouraged to go out once he's ready, but they make sure he knows he can take the time he needs. The fishing scene is a great bit here, since Kensuke tells him that he has something he should do, once Shinji's up to doing it, and he doesn't let Shinji back out with a "I don't think I'd be good at it"... but he makes sure Shinji knows that failing is fine. Similarly, Toji gives a speech that basically says his philosophy that very much would encourage Shinji to go out and do something to save the world... before turning around to tell Shinji that Shinji has done plenty, and that if he just wants to retire here, he's more than earned it. He gets both encouragement to live with himself and encouragement to keep growing as a person.

Kaworu provides the affirmation and love Shinji needs, but none of the encouragement to grow. And that's even aside from circumstances meaning that Kaworu would just wind up hurting Shinji more with the whole dying thing. Shinji's interpersonal relationships do have a very awkward tendency in the tire fire direction.

Yeah I think if Shinji stayed with Kaworu (and Kaworu didn't die of course) then Shinji would just end up like Gendo. He'd never learn how to deal with trauma, or when he needs to dial things down a little, cus he'd know he always had unconditional love waiting for him. Instead of the immediate and obvious hurt that someone like Gendo provides, it'd be a slow and imperceptible one.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While I like the concept of an Eva pilot from the Gendo Yui days getting curse of eva'd into the "present" day as a twist, I don't think it added a ton aside from that and the rebuilds probably would have been stronger without Mari.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seeing all the comparisons to EoE lately has got me thinking. I've always kind of felt like the community at large over states how happy of an ending EoE had.

Like, yes it was overall a positive ending in that Shinji is on the path to a healthier future as he's realized that being with other people is worth the pain. However it also ends with seemingly all of humanity dead, and the only two people left have an extremely toxic relationship with one another. Shinji is seemingly on the path to recovery, but also immediately strangles the first person he comes across. For a first time viewer it's an incredibly bleak ending that only has the slightest hint of a positive message behind it, and the hard cut ending really helps it feel even more depressing. Multiple rewatches does give a better impression of it being a happy ending, but it takes some effort to get there imo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Augus posted:

it’s directly stated that every human being has the ability to regain their physical forms, Shinji and Asuka are just the first ones out

the final scene with asuka though is extremely raw and emotionally complex and people will be debating it until the end of time

Yeah I k ow that humans can come back and it's not actually an extinction, but on a first watch it certainly feels like they're the only ones left. I know that it's stated directly that people can come back, but also there's a LOT to take in and it's pretty easy for that line to get lost on a first viewer while just trying to figure out what the gently caress is even happening.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cephas posted:

The correct correct answer is Everything You Ever Dreamed

At first I mistakenly thought you meant that 6-hour-long dimensia album, but that's actually Everywhere At The End of Time. Even though Eva has nothing to do with dimensia, I still feel like the album has big Eva vibes. It's probably what your brain goes through before getting tanged.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tbh the "it's meant to look bad!" take doesn't really sit well with me, and if it had classic Eva weight to it nobody would complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think Asuka is attracted to Shinji on some level, though she'd never admit that to anyone including herself. However I think she's more attracted to the fact that he's attracted to her - as mentioned above, she likes the attention and validation. She also hates him for a variety of reasons of course. Though I don't think she'd ask for a kiss just as a "game" or being "bored" from someone she had zero interest in, even if that interest is mostly self-serving. Asuka is right to call out that Shinji doesn't like "her", he would like anyone that likes him back - but I kind of think Asuka is similar in that way.