Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IronicDongz posted:

everyone else except asuka is still orange kool aid though, so nearly everything he cared about still did get erased

That's just where the movie ends. More people will probably follow Asuka out of the tang ocean, Yui tells Shinji that and Asuka is proof she wasn't lying. It juat doesn't really matter in the context of the movie or Shinji's journey so it cuts out before we see anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think a lot of it is that Shinji has a fairly normal beginning for a mecha anime pilot in being a really hosed up kid. The big difference is he never really sheds that and becomes an ace or veteran, he's still a scared and hosed up kid by the end. Compare that to like Amuro in MSG, who also starts out as a weirdo loser forced to pilot a giant robot to survive but ends up becoming a skilled ace pilot and leader by the end of his series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

My brother you need some Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated in your life stat.

Scooby Doo getting weirdly experimental in the last decade has been a loving trip.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Scooby Doo was 100% Kaji's offscreen sidekick.

Turns out Kaji's college nickname was Shaggy the whole time :ms:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

But no one can explain what’s wrong with it other than repeating the “it’s too literal” talking point they heard from others. The substance of the complaints is really just “one or two lines are different than what I knew”.

Its stilted and awkward in a way that's very off-putting. This is notable especially with things like 'third children' instead of 'third child'. It has a lot of awkward wording that no native English speaker would pick which is incredible jarring. Even the much talked about 'worthy of his grace' line fits here because that kind of poetic language is at odds with almost everything else Shinji says.

It feels translated in a way that good translations do not.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 4, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Asuka is the first person he's seen come out of the tang. Its been a while too judging by the number of little memorials he's built.

Having a rather extreme emotional reaction after a traumatic experience and extended isolation is probably the most human thing he could have done. He's having PTSD flashbacks and probably a full on mental breakdown.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't care if it's some ridiculous meta commentary or what, but making your anime movie for the naked purpose of selling toys is really loving dumb.

It doesn't work for Jurassic World and it doesn't work for Eva.

In what way doesn't it work? Eva is one of the most profitable brands in the world off the back of its insane merchandising empire. When I went to a 7-11 in Japan earlier this year they were doing an Eva crossover with a bunch of branded merchandise and it was selling.

Eva's made billions off of that. Similarly Jurassic World made an absolute fuckton of money.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

I'll be honest starting at "it's bad writing to sell toys" and then quoting a number that counts everything from the 18 years before its first appearance to support the claim that the cat was an attempt to make big money, wishing that they hadn't brought up the merch thing and then finally ending up at "fine, it isn't bad writing, it just sacrifices too much of what I personally like about Eva in service of putting the audience in Shinji's position of being really confused by how different everything is" was a rollercoaster ride for a thing that started with offhandedly saying the cat Eva is ridiculous because not only was it a cat but also it's armour didn't rip and tear when it changed.

The real important thing to come out of the last couple of pages is that holy poo poo 11.5 of the estimated $16.3 billion Eva has made as a franchise comes from pachinko sales alone what the gently caress.

Welcome to why Konami no longer makes Video Games. Pachinko makes ridiculous money

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

So just finished the TV series and EoE on netflix. I liked it for the most part, but I really don't get why Shinji felt so torn up about Kowaru a dude he met a day a go that was nice to him and also made him horny but was also an Angel sent to gently caress things up. Like Toji exists and what happened there was way worse.

Probably because

1) Shinji deliberately murders Kowaru who wasn't even in an Eva and wasn't fighting him.

2) Has lost basically everyone else in his life at that point. Tokyo 3 is all but destroyed, Rei is dead (and has showed him how monstrous everyone at NERV is), Asuka and Toji are hospitalized because of him, and all his school friends have moved away. Hell even Pen-Pen is gone.

3) Kowaru is the only person to ever actually offer Shinji unconditional love which is something he has spent the entire series yearning for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Piloting an Eva is also shown to be traumatic in basically every way. Even from the outset the pilot is submerged in a liquid they then have to breathe which triggers a drowning reflex, any damage the Eva sustains is transferred to the pilot, you can literally be deconstructed on a molecular level and absorbed into one and that isn't even getting in to the insanity of the things you fight or how they can hurt you and everyone around you

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The 'Third Children' stuff absolutely drives me up the wall with the new dub because it sounds so awkward in English

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

real legit spoilers in this spoiler tag just letting y'all know

that's 100% how the movie ends yes

Hahaha, holy poo poo that is going to piss so many people off.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Doesn't all this mean that Mari is a good 40 years older than Shinji by the end of 3.0+1.0 accounting for the fact he skipped out on 19 years or so between 2.0 and 3.0..

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

I'm sorry, did they or did they not hold up the BR release of 3.33 for a couple of years to redo the English dub? After that it's near-certain that any licensing deal would be structured to give them full control over any localization script for any future releases, and as the licenses expire for the earlier movies they'll add that in to those deals too.

Wonder if they'll double down on forcing really dumb poo poo like the whole "Third Children" thing in the Netflix dub. God that could have used a native English speaker to have some veto power at literally any point in production.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Rei is his mom, you can't (romantically) ship shinji with her thats gross and definitely the worst possibility

I mean Mari was his parent's college friend who had a crush on his dad. That part of their relationship is really weird and its kinda hosed that she's like 40ish years of lived experience older than he is due to that and the 2.22-3.33 timeskip. It makes a lot of the 'Mari is about finding and opening up to new people' reading muddled imo and makes her whole character feel really weird

It would have been so much better if they had just unapologetically shoved in a new girl without all the weird backstory nonsense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dishwasher posted:

I believe he meant going for a happier ending with less edge and angst than many expected.

Another way I've heard it put is as an RPG with EoE being the Asuka-route and 4.0 being the Rei-route. One more cynical and violent because its the bad ending. And one more hopeful because its the good ending.

This is an insanely weird reading of EoE and 3.0+1.0 :psyduck:

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

My reading of Mari is 'it turns out it's healthier for Shinji to end up with someone new who he doesn't have an incredibly hosed up relationship with'.

Yeah but its bizarre that its uh Mari filling that role since she's like a 50 year old woman who was BFFs with his parents in college.