Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shinji was likeable at the beginning of the television series, too. People just forget because the last time they saw him was EoE.

Except for the first episode, where most of the people I know that've watched the series think he's a giant brat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

House Louse posted:

Yeah, and he gets more likeable for most of the series as he gets more confident and more like himself. He turns Misato's flat into somewhere liveable, he manages to befriend Rei, for God's sake, stands up against Gendo - twice - for treating him as a weapon, and he's incredibly kind and caring - for instance saving Touji and Kensuke in episode 3 or diving into a volcano after Asuka. Oh, and he saves the world a dozen times or so. Even when he's not likeable per se he's very sympathetic... well, except for one scene in EoE. Even his apathy then is believable when you bear in mind that he has, in his mind, become everything he hates most.

Ehhh... Honestly, it seemed to me like the main intent wasn't to make the audience sympathize with Shinji for the first two-thirds or so of EoE; from that scene at the start until the start of Third Impact, it was more about building disgust with him, along with some amount of awareness of just how low he's fallen from where he was at the end of the series. Moreso the disgust, considering he ends up being worse than useless once poo poo starts hitting the fan, due to his wallowing in self-pity, hatred, disgust, etc. at the worst possible time. It takes "So loving what if I'm not you?!" for him to momentarily snap out of it... Then somehow manages to sink even further just a few minutes later.

Come the final third, though, and its' exploration of Shinji's brokenness... That's definitely the time where just how utterly broken he's been by the events of the series hits you, if it hasn't already. By the end, all we really get is the baby steps of what'll be a long, long road to recovery for him (if he ever does).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'll admit, I sincerely had never heard the phrase "Baloney Pony" before watching the series. I may or may not've subsequently engaged in a fit of giggling. :blush:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm. Plus, there are the subtler hints that something different is going on this time around (granted, I've no idea of anything that's happened in 3.33 yet...)

Case in point: In the original series, Misato had no idea NERV was hiding Lilith at Terminal Dogma for roughly half of the show's run, and presumably thought it was Adam up until EoE (if she ever learned the truth). In 1.11, she already knew about Lilith by the time the battle with Ramiel swung around, with no explanation of how she knows, unless 3.33 explained it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Probably something to do with the original local distributor, ADV, folding, and might be some trouble on Funimation's end with getting the licensing from the original dub VAs that didn't stick around for Rebuild- or something along those lines. I'm honestly just taking an educated guess, here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm honestly of the belief that Naoko's is the soul that inhabits Unit 00. A death where we're never shown exactly what happened (did she commit suicide, or did Gendo kill her?), an intimate relation of sorts with Rei, and Unit-00 seeming to target Gendo during its' first on-screen berserking. And in regards to the test from Ep. 14, well... Who else but Shinji would serve as the permanent reminder of how Yui had one-upped Naoko in regards to romancing Gendo? As for targeting Ritsuko... I honestly dunno. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Naoko committed suicide after she accidentally strangled Rei I several years before the events of the anime (after Yui's accident of course). There's a parallel of this in the series I think (or maybe just the manga) where Ritsuko almost strangles Rei II

Sorry, didn't get a chance to clarify because I was posting on my phone and in a rush at the time. What I meant was that I wouldn't have put it past Gendo in the slightest to have made it look like she'd simply committed suicide, and had actually somehow or other figured out a way of transferring her soul into Unit-00 while still leaving a body behind for him to throw over the rail. Given that he'd privately admitted that he saw her and her romance with him as nothing more than a way to keep her around as one of his tools, it's not all that hard to believe he'd see sacrificing her to serve as the soul for Unit-00 as acceptable.

Granted, I fully admit a lot of this mostly comes about simply because they didn't show on-screen what'd been heavily implied to have happened. :blush:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mezzanine posted:

Aoba - He likes guitars! :haw:

You forgot to mention his "dream" of being swarmed by a mob of creepy naked clones. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I don't remember this happening! is it actually in Eva somewhere or is this some fan thing?

Nate RFB posted:

I believe that is from the Director's Cut version of that episode.

Y'all need to watch the DC episodes, they're good!

And loving horrifying, too. :v:

It's amazing how much just a bit of a change can vastly alter one's perception of a scene. In the last third of that episode as originally released, the Eva graveyard the group passes by on the way down has the skeletons neatly laid out and fairly orderly. In the Director's cut? It's now a couple of giant pits with the skeletons of what looks like hundreds of failed Evas just thrown in like a lot of loads of garbage.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Didn't Kaji deliver the real Adam to Gendo before episode 15?

I'm guessing he thought Gendo had somehow managed to find a way to fully revitalize Adam from its' embryonic state in all of a few months' time, or he just thought his source and Gendo were bullshitting him and decided to play along while he uncovered the "real truth". :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest, best troll possible would be if 4.44 tied the entire rebuild series up in a nice package with everything explained and no loose ends, and ends on a shot of Shinji and Asuka posing for a family portrait with their kids :v:

Nah, the best troll would be doing the above, but answering all of the questions in as deliberately an unsatisfying manner as possible.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Asuka's mom was indeed intent on doing a murder-suicide; in the mainline manga adaptation, she even has a momentary burst of clarity... And attempts to strangle the real Asuka to death.

The same volume carried the "Kaworu kills a kitten" scene, too. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Okay that makes sense now, for some reason I thought she was shot. Thinking about the scene now, I don't get how I could have possibly come to that conclusion.

It was her daughter, Ritsuko, who got shot by Gendo in End.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Kaworu is a real dick in the manga. I can of course see his reasoning, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Really puts into perspective what "good" and "bad" are.

Hell, that (in my mind) isn't the worst of it. During the scene with him in the hand of Unit-01 in the original series, he seems honestly apologetic that Shinji has to be the one to kill him; in the manga, he wants Shinji to kill him to serve as a final 'screw you' to SEELE, and has very little/no empathy towards the obvious trauma it'd be causing Shinji.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

That's not even close to how hosed up the sequence where he's trapped inside Unit 01 after killing Zeruel in the manga. :suicide:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Pen Pen never acknowledges her.

You forget the kiss scene.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

Mental issues kind of seem to be the point of the Evangelion series.

Don't forget boobs and other fanservice while the show is calling you and Shinji out on objectifying them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I honestly see it more as a representation as to how close Shinji is to all of the others, what with his three love interests, friends, and big-brother/father substitute closest to him, whereas his actual father, NERV, and the alien are much more separated - with Pen-Pen so far out because, aside from being a pet, doesn't have much of any communication or linkage with Shinji.

Or maybe I'm reading entirely too much into this. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On another note, has Funimation said anything about releasing another set of the series since they got the license? I just decided to look at the Platinum set on Amazon, and holy gently caress am I glad I got it when I did.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

It makes sense to me too, it's just for some reason I expect Shinji to be in the center, since he's the protagonist.

This is Shinji we're talking about, though; his main duty is to be butt of many a meta joke/deconstruction.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

E: on second thought, never mind.

So, in an attempt to purge my mind of that... Has this thread discussed any sorts of Eva parodies yet?

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 2, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, at least it's not just "everything is penises" exclusively for once.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

As for the scenario, Gendo and SEELE more or less had the same plan until the end, though they did throw each other some hardballs (I.E. bringing down NERV's power grid, having Unit 01 absorb an S2 engine). At that point, SEELE wanted Kaworu to be the one that would merge with Lilith, while Gendo wanted Adam's embryo and Rei to be the catalysts. There was something about what would happen in Gendo's plan that SEELE did not want happening at all, though I can't quite remember what it was.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Considering the MPs had Kaworu as the basis for their dummy plugs, I'm thinking it was that and to also keep Gendo from starting his/Yui's Third Impact.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, as there's been more awareness of Asperger's and its' seemingly broad symptoms, there's been a lot of misapplied labeling of famous yet "odd" individuals and fictional characters as having the syndrome.

To get away from that potential derail, though, I honestly like to think of Gendo as a "do anything for the person you love" type of character taken to the extreme, since he actually plays an active role in killing off humanity in the original series just so he can bring his lover back. He sees everyone else in his life as some sort of tool towards that goal, even when they (I.E. Rei at the start of the series, Ritsuko) try to project elements of him as sincerely caring about them. And he seems to sincerely believe that Yui wouldn't be horrified/disgusted by everything he'd done in her name.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In something totally unrelated to any current discussions, I can't help but think this is hilariously on-target with Eva.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

House Louse posted:

Just the thought of this scares me.

I'd think it'd be scarier still to do the above, but to have something else playing over that song during that sequence.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

I just watched that one again two nights ago, and I was literally squirming the whole time.

Of course, with a bit of thinking/AMVs... (obviously, spoilers are involved with the video, and the payoff is worth it if you watch/listen all the way through the first time).

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 15, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think there's a trope named after him or something.

Yup, the "Xanatos Gambit", aka "the villain/antagonist ultimately wins no matter what you do, because he had it all planned out far in advance".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm thinking just a continuity error, since that contradiction only appeared in the Director's Cut of the episode, hence why it was cut: it made no drat sense for Kaworu to know Gendo had Adam in him, then head down into Terminal Dogma instead of taking Eva-02 and tearing apart what's left of NERV HQ to find Gendo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

But see, that's what the gloves are for! They're actually made with an anti-Third Impact material.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It's the particular type of Third Impact that depends on which Angel touches which. Through rather... Convolted ways, the one we saw in EoE involved Adam (fetus) and Lilith (Rei serving as a container for her soul) making contact with Lilith.

And I just realized I indirectly said Lilith touches herself. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, there's also the matter of objectifying the characters into something that appeals to base sexual cravings, which the characters themselves (especially Asuka) object to in the last 2 episodes + the apartment scene before the start of Instrumentality in EoE.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I think it's supposed to be a representation of Kaworu's true Angelic form.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It... Does involve quite a bit of nudity during some of the trippier dream sequences later on, but... Well, one gets the impression at least a good portion of it was supposed to come off as creepily clinical in how it's presented. So... Yeah. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'd honestly go more for "FATHER YOU NEVER LOVED ME" or "Cleaning tonsils with your tongue IS a motherly thing to do in NGE!" :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

PootieTang posted:

Rebuild 1 before the series maybe. Watching rebuild 2 before the series / EoE is just wrong.

I'd agree with this. I'd kind of been on the fence because of how grimdark the series had been hyped up (and because the box sets of the series were/are pricey), but watching 1.11 was what ultimately convinced me to buy into the series. Even if it does have some minor spoilers (on the identity of Lilith) for the later parts of the series, it's still a good way of getting a feel for the franchise.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Misato already knows that there is a giant under Terminal Dogma in Rebuild's continuity, and that it's Lilith instead of mistaking it for Adam like she did when she first saw it in the series. Other than that... Nothing that really comes right to mind at the moment, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ultimatemegax posted:

All TV editions of Eva are officially out of print. RightStuf and Amazon have been selling through their excess stock this year and all sets finally went out of stock recently. As with high demand products that recently go out of stock and are out-of-print, the prices are high for any remaining copies (see Bandai's stock after everything went out of print/out of stock as well. It doesn't reflect on anything that is in stock or will be in stock shortly like the 3.33 release.

Y'know, this kind of gets me hoping that Funimation will get the rights for the dub if Gainax (and/or whoever the distributor is Japan-side) decides to do a 20th anniversary remaster, if only to get some new copies in circulation and to bring down the price to something saner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I honestly would figured that if anyone new managed to wrangle the rights for the original series stuff, they'd have to re-do the dub from scratch. The reason I was thinking Funimation was because they've already got the rights to Rebuild, and they've also got at least some of the core cast members from the original on their payroll.