Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Blah blah that was kind of a letdown compared to Eva 2.0. I did like how Anno found a way to make instrumentality horrifying again. Maybe I'm just weird (yes), but I found instrumentality as it was depicted in EoE as not exactly comforting, but an interesting depiction of purgatory in the sense of an existence where people could examine themselves. 3.0 completely shatters that by delving into full Cronenburg style in having the population of Tokyo-3 forcibly evolve into writhing masses of evangelions which appear to have died as quickly as they turned if that Kaworu-Shinji montage shows. That much was actually understandable, and then that skull graveyard around Lilith and the cubicized red Evangelions ("they have failed to reach infinity") forming the walls of the entrance to Terminal Dogma just opened up another can of :wtc:. Anno can still shock at least, if that's what anyone's looking forward to in 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

tsuki posted:

At the end of the movie, this was the thing pulled out of the ground: http://i.imgur.com/gFciX8h.jpg
Some kind of moon chalice? I haven't seen the TV series since I originally watched it, so I was wondering if this was new to the rebuild.

I'm calling that it turns out to be some sort of Holy Grail

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers of Fury posted:

The only qualm I have about Rei Q being a memory wiped Rei II is that Kaworu said she couldn't pilot the eva because she had no soul. I guess it could be bullshit on his part and Rei's soul just doesn't work for what they were trying to do. Still I prefer the theory that Rei's soul was clogging up the tape recorder so Kaworu took it out and put it in Penpen. Hope you guys are ready for Giant Featherless Penpen in 4.0.

I'd imagine that a soul would be clearly needed for a unique unit like 13. While series has demonstrated that souls aren't completely necessary to pilot Evas, what with the dummy-plugs and MP EVAs and all, the units seem to behave much more beast-like without a soul.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah even though Shinji was screwing up even further I just couldn't help but to root for him at the end because everyone at Wille was just so adamant on being an rear end in a top hat towards him.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

ACanofPepsi posted:

I believe the reason Lilith's legs are missing is because of all the physical samples they needed to take in order to create the Evas. Not too sure about that though.

I'm not sure if links to EvaGeeks are okay but this suggests that Lilith was forcibly bifurcated and her lower half used to grow Eva Unit-01.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Popehoist posted:

Did you watch 1.11?

That was supposed to be EVA Mk. 6, since Seele had built it differently than the other Evas.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and I couldn't help wondering if Eva would have turned out any different if Shinji was listening to a copy of Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on his SDAT. :downs:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

So I found a pretty neat set of Evangelion tarot cards (And no I don't know whether this is an actual item)

The full album

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

But I think thematically it works best that the tarot card designations are arbitrary with a focus on what looks cool. Just like Eva :v:.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Well that was just fantastic. The reused sound design was a little quaint but drat that ending.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I understand that they hosed up their English dubbing of it, but unless their reversion interns literally turned in a fanfic the day they were doing ADR sessions there's no excuse for them taking so long to replace whatever they screwed the pooch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda took the Gendo getting eaten bit to represent Gendo's own self-condemnation. He' been driven and self-righteous up until this point but still rejects any possibility of salvation through Instrumentality. So in effect I'd imagine that he either was not Tanged or if he was he's basically in his own hell now.