Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Has anyone seen the Shick/Evangelion ad campaign? It came up on a youtube ad, and I laughed quite a lot. http://www.alafista.com/2012/04/23/schick-x-evangelion-gendou-gets-a-clean-shave/

Sorry to interrupt the serious and interesting analysis. I feel everyone deserves to see gleeful shaving Gendo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

An interpretation of Mari that I heard before seeing the movies is that she is an Evangelion fan. Maybe it's because this interpretation was affecting my viewing, but it really worked for me.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh, absolutely. Everything Eva that has been made since the original series has been pretty heavily in conversation with Eva fandom. I'm glad that conversation isn't so bitter in this movie.

I like that Mari rescues Shinji at the end. She takes the emotional core of Eva with her into the world without Evangelion.

This movie really isn't interested in subtlety is it? Everyone is an adult in the world without Eva.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

By more masculine, do you mean deeper? Because he's like ten years older in that scene. Most guys get deeper voices better 13 and 23.

I think adult, magically self actualized Shinji being a guy does more to conflict with a trans reading than any voice change.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Thank you for the very good and interesting post. I just wanted to add that things you are talking about are not purely trans. I am not trying to underplay how they would be more intense or pervasive for trans people, but everyone has their gender and sexuality policed.

I'm a cishet dude, but I can clearly remember being mocked because my body language was "sissy." I was criticized for responding to a picture of an acquaintances girlfriend with insufficient levels of objectification. Called a slur for gay men by an adult as I walked by their house (I was ten). Obviously this stuff would have been more traumatic if I was queer, but it was still there.

I think that Shinji really speaks to this part of the amab experience. It's a big part of how his character resonated with me, especially watching Eva as an adult. I really appreciate hearing about the similarities and differences in how that resonated for a trans person.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Haha, I was just about to post bringing up the matrix. You've said it better than I would, but I also wish people would worry less about the diagetics of the text exactly matching up with their life. I feel like a ton of analysis lets that kind of stuff get in the way of what the text means and how it resonated with the reader.

Neo is not trans, but that doesn't mean the Matrix isn't a meaningful trans narrative. Shinji is not trans, but that doesn't mean his story can't be very resonant with the trans experience.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Those are some real good tweets.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I see that opinion a lot, and it's understandable in a world where wookipedia has an exhaustively annotated article for every noun ever mentioned in a piece of star wars media while multi hour YouTube videos pondering the profundity of dark souls item descriptions are a booming cottage industry.

I think it's wrong though. Backstory, lore, and world building can do a lot of work to establish tone. They do a lot to mediate how we read characters and plot. They can generate versisimilitude, allowing wacky poo poo to actually resonate meaningfully.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I agree age changes your perspective on evangelion, but big lol at sympathizing more with Misato when watching it as an adult.

I watched it for the first time when I was 16 and for the second time when I was 30. In highschool I thought Misato was a cool fun character. As aj adult I found her to be an irresponsible, abusive piece of poo poo. I was surprised just how harshly my read of her turned, but it shire did.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Love seeing Salviati and Simplicio going back and forth about Eva.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Get In The Robot has always been a horrible read. It's counterfactual in that Shinji is far and away the most consistent, effective pilot. It's counter metaphorical in that it completely misses all the meaning the show lays down.

But it does allow for the channeling of unreflective embracing of gender norms, and people love that poo poo. I think the get in the robot response is an articulation of people's discomfort at Shinjis discomfort with toxic masculinity. It's not that Shinji doesn't get in the robot. It's that he's not sufficiently enthused about fulfilling his role as a man.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

God the angel designs really are so genius. Love the progression of them.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I definitely consider rebuild 1 uglier than the first six episodes of the TV show. I don't think I would call it ugly, but it is aesthetically a downgrade.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I have a friend whose first exposure to Eva was seeing the third rebuild movie.

They were confused but positive.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure they watched the rest of the rebuilds.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Big Leg posted:

verdict: the ending is incredible and some of the best anime ever made

Absolutely.

And the elevator scene was also genius.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Wow, that's stupid.

Gendo's not remotely narcissistic. He doesn't think he's worth poo poo, except as a tool for bringing Yui back.

Actually, that's kind of the problem.

I think you are reading this joke purely as an Eva fan, but it's also making fun of drama subreddits. People on r/raisedbynarcissists would definitely be willing to diagnose Gendo with narcissism.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Chieves posted:

Turning EoE into a Rocky Horror-type experience by spraying Fanta into the air

Popping gogurt tubes at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Before I saw the rebuilds, I heard a reading of Mari as an Eva super fan self insert. Not sure the reading holds up super strong with all the movies released, but having it in mind did make me really like Mari and her role in the story.