Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Abalieno posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the subs I have to the main series are from Platinum or Renewal, could anyone point a difference between the two so I can compare?

There's the first spoken words in the first episode, from the platinum collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, she really doesn't. And the age thing is pretty easily explained if Evangelion pilots don't age.

For reference, here's the picture: http://i.imgur.com/Nv0w1xv.jpg

And here are a bunch of Mari: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Mari_Makinami_Illustrious

Mari has the same glasses, the same hair, the same face shape, the same color scheme.

I don't think we ever get a good look at Asuka's mother in any media, but her page has this as a portrait: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Kyoko_Zeppelin_Soryu

I think it's interesting to note that the glasses-chick in the photo has the same hairstyle as Asuka, along with the little "ear" thingies. I literally just finished watching the movie and just saw that preview, and it looked to me like (at least in the final few seconds of the preview) the non-green Eva was a combination of Mari's and Asuka's eva split right down the middle. I'm not sure where I stand on this Asuka-Mari relationship, but it seems obvious that there's obviously something weird going on.

Also, in regards to Mari's experience in piloting Evas, I'm pretty sure that she makes some comments at the start of 2.22 that imply it's the first time she's piloted an Eva. However, I don't have the time right now to go look that up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When is it stated that Unit-06 is the 12th angel? Which one was Unit-06 anyways? :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

tooooooo bad posted:

Stitched image from 3.33. Spoilers obv.

Like I don't even know what I'm looking at. :psyduck:

I really like those incredibly vague silhouettes down at the bottom.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

HoneyBoy posted:

See well, the thing is you'll be LCL, and in turn you won't "be" anything. There won't be any idea of self left, it will just be a perpetual existence of stagnation, reaching a plateau of evolution in which everything stops dead in its tracks. Think for example the Anti-Spirals in Gurren Lagann. That to me doesn't seem like the natural progression of human evolution, it seems regressive if anything. Reverting to a primordial soup for the sake of preservation of the species makes sense if you're like, a bacteria or something, but to a regular human that thought is terrifying and probably worse than death.

I don't think they ever go into any details concerning the abilities of "Humanity" after Instrumentality. Other than describing what would happen to the individual after it takes place.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

Why does it matter what abilities they have? I don't exist anymore and no one I had any connection to exists anymore, it's not like any of it's potential abilities benefit me in anyway.

The idea that anyone would see it as the preferred outcome is a little shocking to me. All it is is suicide, the end of your consiousness to escape from pain.

I was just pointing out that we can't really say if it's a "regression" in evolution since we don't know exactly what happens after Instrumentality, other than what you've described.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

tooooooo bad posted:

More 3.33 spoilers.

That long crazy pan with the tower or whatever. The apocalypse sure is pretty. :swoon:
Bonus because hey why not, which is what I assume they were thinking as they came up with this scene.

In the first image, if we assume that the tower thing is straight up and down, then we can attribute the bulging out it does near the middle to a point of view related optical illusion, and hopefully aid us in determining where the hell they are when they're looking at it.

The second one is just incredibly horrifying in an absolutely hilarious kind of way.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Rewatching the end of 2.22, yeah a lot of this doesn't make sense at face value. You have to make numerous assumptions and mental gymnastics to make it work. Maybe the scene after the credits didn't actually happen, so it's not representative of what led into 3.33. After all the preview that immediately followed was bogus as well. Or the damage was dealt after the Third Impact, it was just wasn't animated that way and it's a retroactive plot hole that it looks different between the two films. Or that hellish red landscape simply took a while to appear that way and the actual destruction of the city and its inhabitants had happened instantly.

14 years is a lot of time, so I guess it's not inconceivable that Misato and company would eventually lose sight of the fact that many of them were encouraging Shinji. Psychologically it's convenient for them and their cause to have a scapegoat anyway.

As for why Shinji is in space... I really have no clue. I guess SEELE/NERV stuck him up there once Wille rebelled, to keep Unit-01 away from them?

They stuck him up there for the same reason they wouldn't use it in the final episodes of the series, because it had literally become a god.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My biggest disappointment with the movie was no Kaji. Though the way they mentioned him, and the fact that they only mentioned him once and sort of in passing, makes me feel like he's been toast for a while.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

klapman posted:

So just to confirm, isn't the 4th movie supposed to be coming out really soon after this one, at least comparatively? If so, the idea of this one being a complete set-up for the final movie isn't terribly far-fetched, and makes it look a lot better in my eyes.

I believe that originally the 3rd and 4th movies were planned to come out at the same time. I have no idea when they decided against that, though.

I'm betting at least 2015 until we see the subbed 4th movie.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

Well I liked this. Too bad it goes back to autism Shinji at the end but there's a good reason this time.

edit: I also thought it was quite weird to have Misato at the end of 2.22 in full Shinji cheerleader mode only to have completely changed her mind regards his life. Makes me wonder what sorts of atrocities and bedlam the former Nerv crew had to endure in those 14 years.

I think it's more like Misato has always sort of been like that. Misato has always been using Shinji as a way to gain revenge against the Angels, and has been using him as a tool just as much as someone like Gendo. Tuxedo Catfish says it better here:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Misato is more complicated; on the one hand, she actually cares about Shinji. On the other hand, from the very beginning of the TV series she's used Shinji as a tool in her revenge against the Angels and lived vicariously through his successes. Third Impact is basically Gendo taking her toy away and using it for himself, and she reacts to this as if Shinji personally betrayed her. But the time of 3I itself, she was cheering him on. So in 3.33 she treats him like garbage, hands him a death sentence, and only begins to understand how badly she hosed up when Gendo once again uses his superior understanding of Shinji's psychology to snatch him away from her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Abalieno posted:

Has anyone considered how the Angels are designed to suck? They have always very blatant weakness and every new angel doesn't really learn anything from the previous attack. This is actually a cliche in the giant robot genre, but Evangelion embraced it fully.

Even Gendo's behavior of total faith on the Eva is almost a side-effect. As if he knows that the Angels are designed to be defeated and there's no way for Eva to fail.

I dunno, the glowing angel-bird that mindraped Asuka didn't really have a "blatant weakness", or the big white floating circle thing that tried to meld with Rei or whatever. Or the the one that nearly killed everybody before Shinji showed up, kicked its rear end but then whoops 400% sync ratio.

They do also mention in the series itself (it's when Misato is being interrogated by the colorful committee dudes after Shinji and his eva popped out of the big black and white ball that was a dirac sea angel, another angel with no discernible weakness whatsoever) that the Angels "seem to be working independently thusfar" or something like that.

I guess the real question is why do they even have a "core" in the first place. Aren't the Angels supposed to be humans who ate of the tree of life rather than the tree of knowledge? Why don't we have big red cores inside of us? Doesn't Unit-01 eat the SS engine out of the previously mentioned almost-killed-everyone Angel? I'm pretty sure SS stands for Super-Solenoid, which is a thing related to electromagnetism. So why do they have big "engines" inside of them? Unless of course they just call it an SS engine for lack of a better name.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, the scene more or less makes sense, but why all the :okpos: color changing and sheet music pictures and the weirdly animated horse?

I don't think it's meant to be taken literally.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

My post was just meant to be a lighthearted jest about the image.

It was a troll in the perspective of the demographic Anno wants to criticize. Despite saving the world several times over, he also nearly annihilated it twice through reckless abandon or a refusal to listen to reason. He is not a badass pilot, he is a wimpy moron with a misguided sense of obligation. Several times he had to be criticized into doing his job because he was willing to neglect the fate of the world so he could find a dark corner to weep and complain about his vices. Lastly, while the anime morons were expecting "Shinji saves the day and gets bitches", what we got was a socially incompetent moron incapable of building, let alone keeping, a solid, healthy relationship with even a single person.

The point is that what we expected was a hero figure, and what we got was entirely the opposite. Leaving aside sex, Shinji had a chance to form a friendly relationship with any of the people in the picture, but he was too focused on himself to understand them.

I think it's important to point out that Asuka, Rei and Kaworu weren't really the best people to form relationships with, all things considered. Same thing with almost all of the adults in his life. They're all pretty insane people with some serious problems. I don't think it's fair to lay all the blame on Shinji and call him a moron or incompetent.

Kensuke and Toji, on the other hand, were pretty good friends of Shinji's throughout the whole series. Until horrible things happened that separated them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only one who just likes the series because it's got some cool sci-fi and trippy poo poo with great music and animation?

I mean, geez, I don't need to write a freakin' dissertation on why the creator of the show is saying I'm an idiot or that the whole thing is just making fun of certain types of nerds or whatever.

Can't I just enjoy my freaky psudeo-religious giant bio-mecha series in peace?

Sure, but I don't see why you feel the need to flap your arms about it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ShardPhoenix posted:

Gendo is one thing, but I thought Misato was quite heroic (and probably the most admirable character overall) in the original series, despite clearly manipulating Shinji. I think a certain amount of desperation is warranted when you're trying to save the human race from an immediate existential threat (as opposed to Gendo where you're pretty much trying to cause it).

On that note it's quite amusing how the 3 main factions in the series (NERV/Gendo, SEELE, and the Angels) are all trying to achieve almost exactly the same thing, with the difference more in the details. I wonder if they could have reached a negotiated settlement without all the fighting and conspiring.

The Angels just sort of showed up and started attacking, I don't think there was ever a chance to negotiate. I also feel like Gendo's plans and Seele's plans were probably mutually exclusive, considering how much they butted heads.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They might have meant for him to die, given that they're acting out a prophecy and their directive to Gendo to kill the Angels. Or possibly he's acting on his own; I don't remember if anyone ever mentions whether Kaworu was "sent" or not, and I don't have the original series handy to check.

I feel like I recall Misato saying something along the lines of Seele "sent" Kaworu (the last Angel) to them. I think she says it almost immediately before Kaworu takes control of Unit-02 and the Beethoven starts.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdmGtVr3Nzw

At like 58 seconds Fuyutski says "Oh dear god in heaven, Seele has delivered an Angel to us." So it was Fuyutski and not Misato, but yeah.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sadly the most likely explanation is that it was a continuity error and that's why they cut the scene in the first place. There are a bunch of fan theories that try to explain it but none are exactly satisfactory.

The same scene also contains 15 members of SEELE, which is more than you ever see at any other point.

I totally forget where I heard this (maybe it was during the English Commentary of End of Evangelion) but I heard someone suggest that he was actually talking to the 15 other Angels. Don't they say something along the lines of putting their trust/hope in Kaworu? It's kind of strange though since you'd have to count humanity as one of the Angels to get to 15.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still don't understand why Kaworu says to Rei that they are "the same". Is he trying to say that they're both non-humans that are being used by the humans?

Also what the hell is with Rei appearing and disappearing in the very first episode? And then in episode 24 she appears up the tube, Kaworu looks at her, and then she disappears? She was the source of the one AT-field Hyuga noticed, but then disappeared, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it helps (it won't) she appears and disappears right at the end of EoE too.

Yeah I remember her appearing right before Misato explodes, and she's seen near Ritsuko's dead body floating in the LCL sea I think. Rei is a clone of Yui, yes? Did they somehow manage to stick the soul of Lilith inside her or something? If so, how did they get the soul back after Rei II dies and they make Rei III? How would they have gotten Lilith's soul in the first place? I guess maybe stabbing Lilith with the lance of longinus and then doing wacky technobabble stuff, while the lance keeps Lilith's body in "stasis"?

Ugh, thinking about all this stuff just makes me wanna marathon the whole series again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

Ritsuko's mother was the MAGI computers, wasn't she? It's been a while since I've seen the TV series or EoE but in one of the two I remember actually seeing that NERV's computers had a human brain hooked up to them.

She didn't exactly get "turned into them", but rather they used her "personality data" as the prototype for the MAGI computers. Each computer had a component of her personality: as a scientist, as a mother and as a woman.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

I thought she'd programmed it in herself? The way she explained it, she programmed the 3 parts based on the 3 different perspectives in which she viewed the world.

Yeah, that's what I meant. "They" was to include the people who made the MAGI computer system, which would include Akagi senior.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I made my girlfriend watch it once. All she remembers about it is that some kid jerked off on a comatose chick.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that the fact that the 3rd and 4th movies were originally planned to have come out at the same time suggests that there's been some changes in the plans. Whether that implies that they're "winging it" is debatable, I guess.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ACanofPepsi posted:

The other part I absolutely loved was when it showed NERV's competitor showcasing it's nuclear-core Mech and bragging about how superior it was to an Eva because of it's unlimited run time. Then they lose control of it of course.

I think an interesting part about that episode is the fact that Gendo had it sabotaged. Could Jet-Alone have been able to fight the Angels? Could they have been able to create AT-fields like the Evas? I think that at the very least, Gendo felt like it would have interfered with his plans. Probably at most it would just have ended up siphoning away funds from NERV. But after the first failure of Jet-Alone vs. Angel combat (if it would have failed), then wouldn't he have not had to worry anymore? I don't think Gendo really has the scruples to give a crap about a nuclear reactor melting down in a city after it gets defeated by an Angel, but maybe it has more to do with his "timeline" (though Gendo never seems to care very much about the timeline, only Seele does).

I think that maybe Jet-Alone was something that Gendo feared could fight the Angels. If that's the case, then it would have had to have been as powerful as the Angels, and also produce an AT-field of its own. Maybe this is connected to the "artificial Angels" in 3.33?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shazaminator posted:

I'm pretty sure the JEt Alone sales rep has a line to the effect of "We can't generate AT fields yet, but we're going to research it" - presumably they weren't aware of how the ATF is generated and related to souls and were a little optimistic.

That's the way I interpreted it as well. But I think that the "artificial Angels" of 3.33 provide a bit of evidence to support the idea that it is possible to figure it out.

One of the things I liked a lot about 3.33 were the little references to various episodes from the series that didn't show up in their entirety. For instance, obviously the Jet-Alone episode doesn't happen in Rebuild, but we see Shinji wearing a suit that looks very similar to the one Misato wore. Kaworu and Shinji making music together and doing Evangelion stuff together is sort of reminiscent of "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!".

I felt like I noticed a lot more of them but I haven't rewatched 3.33 yet, and that was a bit of a while ago.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terminal Entropy posted:

It seemed like he had some control over it blowing up; he gives a cheerful smile right before it blows right after telling Shinji they would meet again.

Always took that to mean they just didn't want someone else getting the money and resources they needed to keep Nerv going, and wanting to keep any competitors out of the way that don't know what is going on.

It's possible that Kaworu knew what the "automatic" parameters were, and since we know from the series that he can do crazy stuff in regards to sync ratio, at the very least, I think that it wouldn't be too far fetched to imagine that he could have the ability to "set off" whatever it is that sets off the automatic collar explosion thingy. That's how I interpreted that scene. He's also demonstrated earlier that he has some amount of experience with the collar.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Abalieno posted:

What about "classmates" and "same age"? You think a 14 years old can't see a 14 years old girl naked because she's UNDERAGE?

Consent isn't the point since Shinji didn't drill a hole in a shower to see a girl naked. The girl simply turned on her own and suddenly BOOBS. It's an incident and can happen to anyone. Consent would be the issue if Shinji himself pulled at Asuka's shirt to get her naked. But he doesn't.

I thought he was tugging at her saying "help me Asuka" and got progressively more violent as he sank into freak-out land and then tugged a bit too hard and oh hey there.

In other words, he accidentally yanked her shirt off and then "took advantage" of the situation instead of, say, being ashamed and immediately covering her back up.

He was very correct when he says he's hosed up, no one in their right mind would masturbate over the body of a comatose classmate.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's one scene in the series where Shinji is looking at his hand and flexing it or whatever and then notices some little kids on the train giggling at him and he goes all :((I think it might be episode 14? The one where he scores well on the synch tests, the shadow angel appears and then poo poo goes to hell)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

Okay, did anyone else watch the series as a teenager and come out of it feeling like it was a really satisfying ending? Because I watched it when I was 13 or so, liked it and it didn't cross my mind that anyone would have a problem with it until I started poking around on the internet a while later. In retrospect I can totally see how it threw people and why someone might not like it, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who just took it well at face value.

Honestly I can't remember what I thought of the ending right after it finished. I definitely don't recall feelings of anger, or extreme confusion. But... I think I just didn't have any idea what was going on, but really wanted to know what was going on. Which is probably why I ended up rewatching it like... five times (and I still don't get a lot of things).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ACanofPepsi posted:

I didn't realize Gainax was a thing that had it's own quirks that permeate all the different shows it produces. Weird, but fitting.

Gunbuster, FLCL and GL all bear some clear resemblances to Evangelion. Or rather, they all four of them have similarities in themes, plots and character personalities.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MUFFlNS posted:

2.22 set Mari up as having her own agenda that's different from what NERV/SEELE are trying to accomplish, but 3.33 appears to have thrown away whatever character arc was planned for her and now she's just relegated to being fanservice or whatever. It's a shame I think, since I felt like they were setting her up for something really interesting with 2.22 given her dialogue, but I can only guess that it was all scrapped during the rewrite of 3.33 that ended up happening.

I don't think we can safely say that it's been "thrown away". We mostly see Mari in a position where's she's sitting around, yeah? Biding her time, waiting for a good shot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mari Magdalene :dance:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

But Shinji's more assertive! You know, like he dosen't have crippling depression

-most people that like the manga/rebuild 1+2

Kids with depression and social anxiety are so boooring.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Because they are the only ones (that we see) willing to get away from instrumentality and brave through the terribleness that is human interaction.

The best part about that is that you can see that Shinji made a little memorial thing for Misato. It's a brief shot of her necklace cross thingy on a post. So really who knows how much time passed between Shinji ending 3rd impact and Asuka showing up. I kind of love the end of EoE. Because it's just like... well alright then.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

It's kind of pedantic, but it particularly bothers me that Asuka's German is so bad. Her foreign-ness is a big part of her character, especially in a culture that's as homogenous as Japan's. When she swears in German, or calls Shinji a dumkopf, that's an important signal that she's deliberately isolating herself, if only momentarily, from her peers, so the accent should be perfect!

She should really have had a German accent when she spoke Japanese (or English in the dub), to emphasise her otherness. I prefer the idea that she just learnt Japanese because she has an IQ of a trillion, rather than speaking it natively.

Well wasn't her mom Japanese. It's totally not ridiculous to assume that they spoke Japanese in the Langley-Soryhu household, and so Asuka is probably bilingual.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Asuka/Unit 02 in 3.33 is literally Guts. Eyepatch, arm that is a gun, turns into a crazy animal during fights, inside a giant suit of armor that has the spirit of a killer beast in it and turns you into it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If your idea of an Evangelion game isn't a Shadow of the Colossus style game in which you just fight the Angles with the cities/landscape getting destroyed all around you as you fight, military and support firing from everywhere, and maybe a co-op element where you fight alongside a friend trying to hit the angel's core then get out.

There needs to be a date sim component or it won't really be Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah. Hellsing is overwraught ultra-violence and the author indulging in his fetishes. JJBA is vampires named after hair metal bands arguing about the merits of warrior's honor with a New York City street punk in a universe where every era, from the Victorian age on down, looks inexplicably like the eighties.

Isn't there something about bread, too?