Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

I know that Gainax had to toss out a lot of finished story since they wrote a sub plot that ended up predicting the Tokyo subway sarin gas attacks but did they ever mention what it had to do with the plot? I remember a background news segment on the mentioning a terrorist attack which I assume is a nod to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

House Louse posted:

So the relevant points seem to be that it wasn't the subway attacks, but the government investigating Aum's base. So going by this the cancelled plot seems as if it would have been similar to the beginning of EoE, perhaps with SEELE being attacked instead of NERV; the quote seems to be aligning NERV/SEELE with Aum. Maybe Anno felt enough time had passed by then to make it suitable again. On the other hand, a shapechanging Angel LCL-ifying people in a railway station is a pretty plausible scenario too.

The LCL Angel idea sounds marvelous. And seems fitting that NERV/SEELE with Aum would be aligned since they are bent on bringing a doomsday with Christian mythology peppered in.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Amstrad posted:

I just caught up with this whole Rebuild thing and watched 1.11 and 2.22 and I gotta say, anything that makes Shinji into a somewhat likeable character is doing it right. At this point I've decided to forget that the original series exists at all and treat Rebuild as canon.

It has to be cannon, the only version that can be cannon has to have a door made of nothing buy worm screws guarding Central Dogma. Or any of the other gratuitous detail shots.

Anyone else thinking the only reason the oceans are off colored because of all the metric tons of blood from the Angels?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mazed posted:

I am, however, slightly curious about the rebuild. I wonder, does it stick to the same tone, with all kinds of disconnected scenes of mysterious talking heads having deliberately vague dialogue about the backstory, or does the narrative actually explain this stuff upfront?

For the first two Rebuilds, it is about the same tone and story wise, although Rei is a less of a spreg. The design is phenomenal and the amount of blood each angel spews out gets exponentially more insane with each one. Haven't seen the third one yet.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

It also ignores that Rei's time travel appearance in front of Shinji at the start of Rebuild and even the series.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

House Louse posted:

Really? I don't know what you're talking about.

So it's more of a general feeling, then? Fair enough. No, it's not impossible, but it seems to miss the entire point of Rebuild. Anno's said that he wants it to be more accessible for people who haven't seen the original - how will it do that if it's a sequel? And why would you spend one of the four films doing almost exactly the same thing as the TV series? Why wouldn't you tell anyone? It really seems like a huge dick move, really dwarfing the other stuff he's done to upset people. Some of that evidence has simpler answers anyway; maybe Kaworu met Shinji when he was still a baby.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I thought I dodn't have anything to say before I started typing. :shobon:

End of Eva alienates just about everyone, so doing that with Rebuild wouldn't be too far out of the question.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive; the film can work on multiple levels at the same time for different target audiences.

Regarding alternate explanations, though, some things just line up too well (especially the line of blood on the moon, which we saw happen in EoE and doesn't seem like something that happens terribly often)to not at least consider the idea, given that it walks/talks/quacks like a duck.

And the outline of an Angel even though none would have shown up to fight yet as all the top brass are trying to use tanks and bombers, rather than send out an Eva, on Sachiel.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I watched the show and one of the movies. I didn't get it at all. Is there a good source that explains what was going on at the end?

Yeah, the last half of End of Eva is basically the anime version of the Stargate Sequence from 2001.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like you need a 5gb nearly lossless video + FLAC soundtrack copy

That door in 1.1 that was made out of worm screws was worth it alone to see in HD when Toonami aired it :swoon:. Going by that and the rest of the other gratuitous shots in that are enough to get it in the highest definition possible.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Riddle of Feel posted:

The lesson of the aborted third impact in 2.22 is that if you're going to become a god, you don't bitch out halfway through.

Kaworu speared Unit-01 to stop the Third Impact, Shinji didn't bitch out of it at all.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

yellowjournalism posted:

Maybe on a certain level part of the point is that 3.0 is supposed to be the almost somber interlude, the disorienting head trip for Shinji to set up a balls-to-the-wall finale. I genuinely feel like I won't be able to pass any kind of worthwhile "judgment" on 3.0 until I see 4.0. Anyway great job Anno and team, beers all around.

Quickening is a term also used to describe the later stages of a pregnancy when the baby starts kicking around, which is about what 3 felt like: a little kicking right before the big pay off. Not to mention Unit-13 looks to have been finalized via a C-section:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

KoB posted:

Just got around to watching 3.33. I feel like if they just sat Shinji down and explained to him the whole situation none of that would have happened. Everyone else was somehow MORE childish that Shinji.
"Guys, really, whats going on I have no idea."
"Shut up you brat god just don't do anything. I cant believe what you did ugh."
"What did I do? What happened?"
"God, shut up."

He himself has said multiple times that he would never pilot an Eva again, yet he always goes back to doing so. There is nothing anyone could say that he hasn't told himself already.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

abraxas posted:

Why were there two Spears of Longinus anyways? Was that Gendos doing? And if so, how? Why was Kaworu so convinced there would be two different spears and why was he so distraught when there were two of the same spear? And.. stuff. I'm just too stupid for this franchise I think. All this mysticism Kabalah whatever stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest and I'd rather have some actual explanations or at least insights as opposed to "lol this is all a big metaphor for Anno, the audience and something I already forgot". Maybe I'm just too old for anime tropes these days, I have no idea. I love all this crap and love watching it but I honestly can't make heads nor tails of it most of the time.

There really isn't an answer to that and isn't something to be concerned about other than: Shinji thought picking them up would fix everything, he was told not to by the person that gave him the idea to begin with, and he did it anyways.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

abraxas posted:

Thanks! I actually love being info dumped because, honestly, as I said in my previous post, I must be the most dimwitted Evangelion watcher this planet has to offer. I even sat down and watched all 3 Rebuilds in succession after my last post in here that had like a million questions and all it did was confuse me some more :(

If you aren't confused, it isn't Evangelion. :eng101:

Forgot to edit my quickening and pregnancy post with this still that adds more to the idea:

Feels like the Curse of Eva is a reverse on pregnancy: rather than age/evolve/develop, being an Eva pilot keeps you developmentally stunted. Asuka and Mari are two of the very few that have otherwise been exactly the same after14 years. And Shinji never gets past being a pilot, shortly after saying he will never pilot again he ends up getting back into the Tang anyways.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dude wants to pull off his Impact as near as we can tell but it keeps getting narrowly averted. He must be so pissed off by this point.

The end of 3 had him saying something along the lines of "All according to plan.", he has been actively making everything work out a given way.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Abalieno posted:

Has anyone considered how the Angels are designed to suck? They have always very blatant weakness and every new angel doesn't really learn anything from the previous attack. This is actually a cliche in the giant robot genre, but Evangelion embraced it fully.

Even Gendo's behavior of total faith on the Eva is almost a side-effect. As if he knows that the Angels are designed to be defeated and there's no way for Eva to fail.

Evas are derived in part from the Angels anyways, so it isn't like they are in a different weight class, just not as refined or fantastic in design.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Part of it though is he never does anything to fully understand anything, with the one time being why Asuka looks the same after 14 years. He gets told that grabbing two spears will fix everything on face value and then disregards being told not to pick them up right after arriving.

He gets blinded by what he wants to do that he doesn't pay any attention to what is going on around him when very obvious bad things are happening.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

It doesn't matter if anyone at Willie would have told him or not: within the span of a five minute conversation he goes from saying he will never pilot an Eva again to putting a plug suit on. He ignores anything any one tells him unless it is something he wants to hear.

Yeah Misato is being a bit of a hypocrite cheering him as he starts the Third Impact but she blinded just as much as he was by her grudge against Angels. She has a bit of a grudge against him in 3 but it is mainly against Nerv/Gendo/Seele for their work against bringing another Impact, if not against herself as well for originally helping them along. She feel into the same blindness of not questioning what was going on and why as everything was inline with getting her revenge.

The two are perfect foils for each other: he runs away from his problems rather than confront them; she confronts them head on but her agency makes them worse just as much as his running.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, no, it's not either actually. She explicitly cheers for Shinji to pursue his own wish (save Ayanami, to hell with everything else); like Shinji she didn't know what was actually going to happen when she said that, but that still makes her behavior in 3.33 a hypocritical reversal; more than anyone else she should be the one to empathize with him.

EDIT: Although it's not out of character. After all, Shinji just did the same thing her father did in Second Impact, and Misato isn't exactly rational or of one mind about him either.

Also, something fun I noticed while rewatching that scene for reference.

Here is the spear that impales Unit-01 in the post-credits scene in 2.22 (but before the preview): http://i.imgur.com/4Yibn8J.png

And here's the first part of the device Asuka uses to kickstart the Wunder: 3.33 SPOILERS

They aren't quite identical as far as I can tell, but I do wonder if that spear is just a spear.

I had noticed that with the spear too. I am wondering if it isn't something like a key: you can use it to activate or deactivate an Eva/God mode. I am wondering if that wasn't suppose to be the second spear that was missing at the end of 3 and if it was, it makes sense that it would be needed for the plan Kaworu had.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh. Kind of funny, but I feel like it misses the point. I mean, Shinji's utter inability to get laid/engage in healthy human interaction is kind of his whole entire thing. Shinji actually loving someone would be like Batman becoming fully comfortable with what he does and assured of his sanity - that's great and all but it's effectively ended his character.

Is it suppose to be about him? I read that as the fans being shipping dolts who haven't learned in 15 years that their slash fic isn't going to happen in the show/movies.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I get that Gendo wants to be with Yui again, and that SEELE just want to turn into soup because they're a sinister death cult (though the stuff about hitching a ride in 02 is new to me). What I don't get is how those ideas are different or mutually exclusive. Instrumentality is supposed to form all beings into a single consciousness or something, right? (Very movingly expressed by all the Nerv staff seeing their loved ones before they pop?) So how did their plans differ?

Did you mean Gendo here?

It isn't shown how Gendos version would differ. It could be assumed it would give Yui a physical body again, but how that version of Third Impact would affect everyone else remains to be seen in Rebuild and wasn't elaborated on in the show/EoE. His plan differs from SEELEs in that he doesn't seem to want it to affect everyone, he just wants to be with Yui again.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 19, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Misato doesn't activate the collar, but strictly speaking neither does Kaworu. It's set to automatically go off in case of an "awakening," i.e. when the pilot of an Evangelion can't control their emotions and things start going all signs-and-omens-shaped. They mention this in the scene where the collar is first introduced.

Probably, but at the same time it explains why Gendo would sabotage them -- the last thing NERV and SEELE need is another competitor researching the nature of souls and putting it to practical use.

It seemed like he had some control over it blowing up; he gives a cheerful smile right before it blows right after telling Shinji they would meet again.

Always took that to mean they just didn't want someone else getting the money and resources they needed to keep Nerv going, and wanting to keep any competitors out of the way that don't know what is going on.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

notZaar posted:

Speaking of the collar why the hell didn't Kaworu just throw it away? Why did he put it on?

Seemed like his death was meant to absolve Shinji of his sins.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Giggily posted:

Which seems to be negated in the Rebuilds. I remember in an episode of the original series they were making a big deal out of cross compatibility for pilots and Evangelions, and that only Rei and Kaworu were able to do it. But, in the Rebuilds, it seems like anybody can hop into any Evangelion and it just works. I wonder if this will ever be explained.

The Rebuilds make me very confused.

It is a big deal in the series as the pilots and Evas are keyed to each other due to the souls in the cores of Evas. Rebuild has only established Yui being in Unit-01 and nothing else has been said/shown for the other Evas in that regard yet.

Zahki posted:

I watched it when it first aired in Australia back in 1999 and I definitely remember being extremely confused by the last 2 episodes. You never see the fallout from Shinji killing Kaworu, you simply go straight to psychoanalysing the cast in a black room with a foldout chair. I don't think it was a particularly good decision to be honest, I have no idea why they thought they could get away with that. If NGE ended with episode 25-26 and EoE was never made I don't think the series would be remembered anywhere near as fondly as it is.

It's not really that they thought they could get away with it, it is that they had no other options: the studio had run out of money, time, and had to trash a lot of completed work due to the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack, ...

Phobophilia posted:

You get the impression that the first half of EoE, or some pared down variant thereof, was always intended to be in the show (and it has some great action), but the decision to completely humiliate the main character came about later.

... a gas attack that might have been meant to happen in the final episodes. But since Eva is about a shadow group work to bring with end of the world with Christian overtones, they rewrote the final episodes when a cult with Christian overtones of the end of the world was gassing people.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

There already is one

You know, that would make a lot of sense. It would be a lot easier to attack an underground base with gas rather than just going in and shooting as in EoE. Nikita also had a VX nerve agent Sword of Damocles hanging over the cast for several episodes for a similar reason.

There is a scene in one of the episodes where Misato is driving through a tunnel while a news report talks about a terrorist gas attack is playing on the radio.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Grimace posted:

It left me with a lot of questions, of course. I enjoyed the confusion the timeskip caused. The whole scene is meant to draw in the viewers. [spoiler]We're in the exact same situation as Shinji- 14 years have passed? What? What's going on, and why won't anyone explain anything, for God's sake?

I wonder skip isn't suppose to reflect on the franchise as a whole as well. Time has past since the fist run of the series and there are still a lot more questions and nobody is really answering them completely, leaving everything "up in the air".

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wish I could back it up or justify it somehow but every time Mari is on screen I have the biggest, dumbest grin on my face. Everything about her is just inexplicably funny to me, which is important because there's not much comic relief in Rebuild apart from that.

The only cringeworthy thing is the scene where she sniffs Shinji and even that's so out of the blue and weird that the stupid fetishy side is kind of second fiddle.

She has been a nice foil to the other pilots. Piloting isn't ordered on her nor is her ego wrapped up in it in one form or another like the rest.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The proper emoticon is :getin:

And just remember, that was the ending that we got in 1997. 10+ years of chewing on that before Rebuild came along.

E: If it wasn't clear I like End of Eva a whole lot.

I had the same feeling as I said come in! On my first viewing but the absurdity had grown on me on successive viewings. Hoping Rebuild takes a similar route just so it can be absurdity with 15 years of animation improvement and a lot cash.

Also would like to see that door made out of worm screws make a return :swoon:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Isn't moe, still not sure what that is entirely, influenced by Rei's character/design?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wank posted:

I first saw an episode and it was dubbed. When I went back to watch the entire series I watched it subbed. To start with I hated Shinji's obviously female voice (I know, I know) and I couldn't quite get into it... then it happened... Shinji squealed in horror. Holy poo poo that freaked me out every single time. Amazing. I was then sold on the sub. I don't know what VO work Megumi Ogata gets, but I bet they make her yell in horror a lot.

Asuka's terrible German accent on the sub is hilarious. Is that intentional? I don't really know how "German" Asuka is supposed to be.

The English spoken by two of the characters Rebuild 2 is pretty ridiculous: Kaji sounds like a deaf French speaker trying to sound American and Mari sounds like some mix of Germanic and Nordic, even though she is suppose to be British.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Ahahahaha hooooooly poo poo. I especially love the soft jazz version of Fly Me to the Moon in the background. The whole thing is like a gigantic infomercial on Asuka merch. There is a level of obsession in here that is beyond reason, only made slightly more understandable by the fact that she's the VA and I imagine she's not hurting for money.

Really though, I think she improved her voice as "Asuka" tremendously in 2.22. It makes me curious how she'll sound in 3.33.

She can kind of get a pass as it seems like method acting mixed with being handed free merchandise from work and from fans and just keeping that stuff for the sake of a collection and appreciation.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

And a great opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fw51qtTY4

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Was it "Suddenly Gainax were assholes" or Gainax having no funding since the late 2nd half of the series when their funding was pulled from sponsors?

Money issues, they also ran out of time and also tossed away completed work.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Oh? I always thought the threats were in response to the end of the series.

What little of the translations of the letters I read on EvaGeeks are actually supportive of Gainax.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Wondering if 4 would end with a "next time time on" and "more fan service" just for the hell of it.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Oh I know I just wish they showed more or talked more about what had happened.

Without anything else right now, what happened is assumed to have been shown in the "Next time on Eva" segment at the end of 2, seems to be all that is needed anyways really.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think normal, well-adjusted people jump into a berserking Evangelion with "nothing ventured, nothing gained!" on their lips.

(Granted, I love that line in context and would consider screencapping it for an avatar if not for how the rest of SA reacts to anime. I'm also still waiting to see if Mari suddenly becomes more important in 4.0, and if her ideology serves her better than, well, how everyone else's has served them.)

fakeedit: "Self-actualized" might be a better word than "normal."

She was the only one standing in the way of Terminal Dogma from being compromised, what else is she suppose to do? It's not like she was overreacting to a mundane situation, but rather under reacting to a something larger than life.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not saying she should have done something else. I'm saying she's someone who thrives on pain and conflict, or at least takes them as proof she's alive. I can't imagine Mari doing well at anything other than piloting Evas, and I think that's what she and the other Children have in common.

She seems to enjoy piloting yes, but doesn't seem to have her ego wrapped up in it like Asuka does, which has been the nice foil between the two.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

For some insane reason I've decided to marathon the series + EoE over the last 2 days. Someone offhandedly mentioned the series to me, and I realized I never saw much more of it other than 3 or 4 VHS I had of the dub when I was younger. It's been about as hosed up as I could have hoped/expected. Time to trudge my way through the rest of the movies, I suppose!

Since we're on the subject of Pen-Pen, and I'm fresh off of watching the series, it's pretty clear to me. He's a figment of Misato and Shinji's imagination. Asuka never acknowledges him, and he conveniently gets "sent away" at the end. I say this jokingly, but I can only assume this is a genuine conspiracy that gets argued.

Oh, she acknowledges PenPen in Rebuild alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

"Next time on Eva.... And more fan service :sparkles:"