Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This got brought up over in RGD when I mentioned NGE and Tiffany Grant being really really attached to her role as Asuka, but can someone here detail what exactly is up with Amanda Winn Lee being considered "crazy"? I saw she was pretty outspoken about the localization changes Netflix did when they got their hands on the show but a lot of the other stuff that came up in my search was your usual hyperbolic youtube video titles that make me question their validity.

What's her deal, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechaX posted:

Some people are still salty about some of her suggested dub changes to EoE (squish sounds and HIT EM AGAIN) but she's pretty cool, and incredibly sassy to Vic people that tend to harass her online

What people don't like the Smuckers Jam sound effects for people getting pulped by machine guns and slumping along the wall?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FilthyImp posted:

I hate it!

There's also some hate due to the general looseness of the dubfolk during the director's commentary.

"Yeah this scene dragged so I decided Asuka should say "stuff my strawberry schnitzel" here lol!"

This scene is especially unique, as Shinji knows it's an empty grave but also the closest he gets to his mothe-- LAWL LOOK THE SHADOW IS A GIANT DIIIIIIIIIICK

See that stuff sounds great. I miss 90s dubbing when ADV went hog wild buying up licenses and doing what they wanted. It sounds like they had a ton of fun doing it which makes the no fun allowed Khara direct translations stilted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Horizon Burning posted:

spoiler overview from someone who saw it: https://twitter.com/ahsokabro/status/1368785490242048000

what is this loving closure!?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want to see a happy ending that puts a cap on 24 years of existential dread and angst do I get that?

please tell me that spoiler about Shinji going back to Asuka on the beach is true that would be like the Seymour scenes from Bender's Big Score levels of happy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Yes. obfuscation space
(Single word answer. Extra words added to mask length)

Yep, it's true.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The rights issues around dubbing and redubs in general make me sad because it makes it incredibly hard to archive anime due to the sheer volume of titles. The stuff you grow up with gets buried in the past as licensing deals run out and printings become rare items. So much more stuff gets dubbed and streamed these days but the number of licensing companies in the business has shrunk into a handful of big players.

Something gets lost along the way and it makes me sad. Like, I want to watch NGE again with the ADV dub and I really have little interest in taking up Netflix and their pointless do over.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

On a meta narrative level it really does read like a list of things Anno wanted to say twenty years ago but just couldn't at the time. I really like it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Now that we know Asuka Shikinami was a clone like Ayanami, the Makinami name implies that Mari has a clone body as well.

Wouldn't this make them also susceptible to their bodies turning to orange Tang like Rei does?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like they're better off as sequels even though they are intended to be more accessible for newcomers. The distillation works better if you know the underlying bones and the movies know it too.

Retroactively making EOE a mid-point in the story and coming back to resolve that mind gently caress in a satisfying way really adds points to Rebuild for me

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It might have been closure for you but I don't know if it was closure for Anno. It really feels like Rebuild is his way of working through things he couldn't find the words for back in the 90s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I listened to One Last Kiss and it was good. I'm not much for soft pop but it was a sweet sounding song. Looking Utada up she's got a lot of R&B influence in her music doesn't she?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it considered old hat to talk about the reaction to Asuka's character in the original TV run? I mean with the benefit of hindsight and two and a half decades of overanalysis it's pretty clear what Anno's intentions were with her (though I didn't know she was pegged as the main protagonist during early development, that's neat) were. But since I missed the boat being a literal child in 96-97 and I don't think YTV ever aired the show, I watched it later in life after debate had raged for a while. What was the general reaction to her character? She's definitely polarizing because of her attitude but for people getting mad at her for being a brat and a self destructive abuser, that's kind of the point. Did the calmer retrospection on her character come later or was their a vocal group at the time who understood what the show was going for by subverting her character archetype?

I guess in fewer words: What drew people to Asuka to begin with and were they drawn to her because of or in spite of her glaring flaws as a broken teenager?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nate RFB posted:

If anything I feel most adverse reactions I've seen from people are those who are watching the show for the first time as adults and have way less patience for her initial brash, confrontational, haughty introductory arc, which as a teen didn't really bother me that much for whatever variety of reasons.

See now I'm in the reverse because you come to accept that everyone is an rear end in a top hat in their early teens so I got where they were going with her, especially given the context of her later breakdown. But this is all (I'm guessing? You're not a 90s teen from Japan are you?) a more international perspective on her character. I'd be really curious and interested to see what the original audience reaction would have been. I mean it's not THAT big a difference from the way that other countries react to characters, I'm sure, but reading through background notes about anime production there's definitely "types" that producers want for their characters to fall into because they rate so well with target demographics. So I'd be really interested to see how a Japanese audience going in expecting her to be a typical tsundere jerk would react to her becoming a lot more dynamic as she falls apart.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 12, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
look I just want my closure to that drat beach scene and since 3.0 + 1 has that it's worth it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look it's decades of arrested development and I'm happy it got addressed without getting erased. It's going back to your adolescence and looking at it again with adult eyes and it does make me happy. Viewing it as a continuation rather than a replacement and I'm fine with that.

I know that's not something everyone wants but it is something I need to look at EOE as part of a bigger picture. The latter half of the movie feels a big confused to me as it builds up to the finale so going back and addressing that last scene really appeals to my desire to see all the horrible poo poo Shinji and Asuka endured get addressed, even if it is just for a fleeting moment where he's not strangling her.

Also because I'm turning 28 in June I definitely empathize with Rebuild Asuka being stuck in an endless adolescence while her mind ages.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could be talking out my rear end on this but did it also kind of start the subgenre of existentialist mecha shows? Certainly felt like more shows started doing introspection and weird sharp tonal shifts after it aired. Sadly, like the harems that riff off the archetypes in Eva, these shows often take the surface level view of things and don't strike at the meanings behind it. That's not to say Eva doesn't get pretentious a lot of the time (because all that judeo Christian iconography in the visual design and the classical music makes me roll my eyes,) but the underlying script and thematic elements are solid as a rock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Darling and the Franxx definitely sticks out to me as lifting more than a bit of homework from Eva with its combination of teenage sex angst and big Freudian robot punch ups.

On the one hand I get it why things get popular and then get copied as a result and I'm okay with it. On the other hand I also really appreciate when shows or films are one of a kind and nobody even tries to make something similar. Eva is definitely in the former category for all the good and bad that entails.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JazzFlight posted:

Definitely could be wrong, but I had heard that show was like, super-poo poo. Opinions?

Oh it sucks and shits the bed before the end. It just stuck out to me as a pretty obvious example. Two pilots driving a robot doggy style isn't exactly highbrow to begin with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Note to self: watching the later episodes of Eva during a week where you're stressed AF at work and having a very bad case of depression and loneliness is a bad, baaaaad combination.

Last week was rough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I really appreciate how he represents teenagers in relation to adults. It's hardly the first show to have teens act like teens but juxtaposing their actions against actual adults works incredibly well in the show. Asuka's infatuation with Kaji helps emphasize that she is still a teenager but her lack of a support structure to fall back on drives her to try to act more like an adult where it's considered more acceptable to be independent and not rely on others. Part of it is the immaturity of a fourteen year old but it also plays very well into her troubles even as Kaji tries his best to look after her while he's her guardian.

I could probably write this better but I'm just trying to articulate that they're teens who act like teens and the adults either through good intentions or through being incapable to cope with their own problems end up letting the children down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That ain't orange tang that's just brown stang.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know camrips suck for the makers but I do like to add it to my headcanon that Khara is so obsessed with controlling how Eva is seen that they control the government to maintain total control of the film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you considered that as sequels the notion of them being a redo in-universe is a good explanation for the differences thanks to the cosmic beings aware of the original TV run going back to the drawing room and saying "well, that could have worked out better."

I mean, that's kinda what happened in real life so it fits in a Kojima style meta sense that the in-universe would jump at the chance for a less messy, more refined plan now that they've seen what doesn't work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

I dont know what this is but I can (not) stop watching it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there an EVA monopoly set called You Can (Not) pass Go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So most of the old dub crew is back to redub movies they already dubbed?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or so Khara can control literally everything and mandate their verbatim script?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRBljYeDnU

Long video but really good at talking about what went into the making of Eva and an in-depth exploration of its themes and impact on the entire anime industry. Bennett said his follow up look at the Rebuild films will be out sometime in July. I really liked this one, a neat evolution of his views from his original Eva videos from almost ten years ago.

I've had this video and Eva in general stuck on repeat in my head for the last few days. It's complicated but I always feel a sort of intangible sadness when I look at the show and everything around it. I can say I like it, but I still have reservations. It's like a microcosm of the anime industry as a whole with all the good and bad that entails so I think it's impossible for me to fully like Eva. I can't fully explain why beyond some of the obvious things like Khara meddling with the dubbing process and losing some of the charm as a result or the more blatant and rampant monetization of the franchise. It's stuff that's easy to avoid but I can't keep it out of my mind and it does temper my enjoyment. The Netflix dubs also severely bum me out and making the ADV dubs harder to find sucks. It's getting to Star Wars special edition levels of silliness where there's no ideal way to watch the show and movies with the dub you want. Watch EOE with bad sound effects, watch it with crisp HD and a boring dub. Watch old ADV dubs of Rebuild with Win Lee's adaptation and go digging for impossible to find releases or watch Rebuild with new ADV dubs on streaming but with Khara scripts sucking out Lee's quirks.

If I could try to explain the sadness the best I can come up with is that I'm sad that Eva does a lot of stuff so well but it feels like it has never been able to fully embrace what it wants to be, and can only be what it is. It wouldn't be Eva without all the insane stuff going on during production and it probably wouldn't be recognizable if everything did go to plan. It feels 85% of the way to being what it wants.

Edit: Now I've got Komm, Susser Tod stuck on repeat in my head and it's like a trauma trigger. Good song but gah, that's not stuff I like getting dredged up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched EOE again. Still hosed, still hurts, still got that goddamn song in my head and I can't stop seeing everything as a metaphor for Anno's psyche. Stories about mental trauma and identity and the struggles that come with them get stuck on a loop in my head and the only way to get them out is to confront them even if its uncomfortable. Same thing happens with DDLC, same thing happens with anything that hits those buttons and makes me afraid inside. It's stupid that I get triggered by this kind of media but it is what it is. Third Impact is a mindfuck visually but the dialogue is so goddamn raw and the stream of consciousness rant where Shinji experiences simultaneous relationship/rejection/arguments Asuka, Rei and MIsato is like hearing the same kind of intrusive thoughts that gently caress me over in reality. I don't like it, but I can't tune it out.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ak Gara posted:

^
Ever hear that saying, "Minecraft music feels like knowing you can't go home because it no longer exists"
Evangelion gives me the same vibes

I haven't heard that one but it does seem to get at part of the vibe. It's part of a jumbled mess of conflicting ideas and emotions that can only be half explained with words

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is this Shaybs person he refers to early in the thread? I don't dip into anitubers very much for several reasons so I'm not aware of the community at large.

Either way I looked into things on the other side of Twitter and of course there's two sides forming on this, saying the quote was actually from an article and not misrepresented, so now i don't know.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duckdealer posted:

I like Shaybs. He was pretty down on the video you linked (haven't seen it myself).

Anyways, here he is giving his thoughts: https://youtu.be/VaykLuIMcck

Going by that video's comments, people are still intent on giving Bennett poo poo for videos he made ten years ago or saying he's not doing his proper work if he doesn't watch everything three times over in different languages. I dont judge youtubers by their comments section but I am noticing a number of people gravitating here to voice their ire at Bennett and it just seems weird. Do you dismiss an entire video out of hand based off a response video or basing your assessment off the first few minutes? Or is this another case of no true Scotsman-ing things because someone has the wrong opinion.

Edit:
Yeah... this video might be an irritating watch for me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duckdealer posted:

Not sure if you are asking me or just asking generally but I have no opinion on the video. As I said I haven't seen it.

Speaking in general. I dont know much at all about this Shaybs guy but I am getting some vibes off of his video and off of the comments section.

Edit: gently caress me I know twitter is a shithole but I'm now reading a whole slew of "you're watching and critiquing things wrong" arguments on this whole video "controversy" and I feel like I've wasted my time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anitubers were a mistake?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the funimation rebuild blu rays still available for purchase or would I have to buy used to get their version? I tried to watch the ones available on Prime and it felt like Tiffany Grant was on Xanax.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

There are some new original stock of 2 and 3 available in retail channels but I'm pretty sure the first one is impossible to find on disc in the US now.

Well poo poo. Tracking down that one is gonna be a pain in the rear end. It was nice hearing Win-Lee back on Prime but I liked the Funi versions better last time I heard them. Brina Palencia was a bit less whispery than Lee but the script was more fun and she's a good VA.

I see that GKIDs has the ADV version of the show and EOE available on a special edition release, which is nice but expensive. At least it's available, but I may have to get creative on purchasing the Rebuilds and tracking down 1.11.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 16, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fly me to the Moon on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Buncha control freaks. At least it's on physical media.