Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've seen people say this but is there any actual evidence of it at all, like an interview or something? It mostly seems to be based on really flimsy reasoning along the lines of "I don't like Rebuild, but it's deliberately bad because"

I really like Rebuild specifically because it's a reaction to the reaction to the tv show and EoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I liked 3.0 a lot, but the wait for 4.0 is interminable and it makes me grumpy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I was happy when I introduced my sister to this series and she was majorly pissed at how the adults treated Shinji. As she put it "They loving cheered when it managed to take a single step, that's a hosed up weapon to make a teenager pilot into a life or death situation."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She doesn't hate him, she just has bigger plans and higher priorities.

I don't know, EoE kind of suggests she hates him for the way he interacted with Shinji. Or Rei 3 hated him. Or he hated himself. But the way he went out was pretty bleak.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The dub is hot garbage except for the line reading of Fuyutski and Gendo during the episode where NERV HQ loses power.

"It's hot." "Yes."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
3.0 is great

you have it all, laser beams in space, giant hosed up piles of corpses, a flirty piano sequence

what more could you want?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ross Angeles posted:

So I finally watched EoE, the end of the original show, and 3.33.

I don't understand any ending

So I don't really want to try explaining EoE because even after 5 or 6 viewings I don't think I really get what Anno's going for, but the end of the original show is pretty straight forward. It's basically the visualization of Shinji coming to terms with a couple of ideas. Mainly that one can only really know one's self through interactions with others, that a large part of what makes these interactions painful is self hatred and fear of judgment, and finally that he was self worth and the potential exists for him to be happy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raxivace posted:

With Shinji, this often involves him making self-centered decisions without enough care for how it affects others, which really isn't that different from how Gendo operates.

Really it's how most of the characters operate with the exception of Rei, who goes too far in the opposite direction, and maybe Kaji.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
movie had some very good bits, but overall felt kind of uneven

still a worthwhile watch, and the horrible nerd in me ate up the little eva references, but all in all i would have preferred another rebuild movie

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raxivace posted:

If I could get my way the Criterion Collection would put out the next release of EoE on blu-ray, and it would have cool analysis and commentary and special features and a pristine transfer of the film. :colbert:

Unfortunately my campaign of mentioning this occasionally on Facebook doesn't seem to be working...

you have my full support in your quest

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HoneyBoy posted:

Instead of spending $20 buying 3.33 from Best Buy today I donated to some door-to-door church teenager who was selling self-help books

Do you think Yui would approve of my decision

no, you should have bought the Blu-ray and nge themed shaving merch

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

E-flat posted:

I mean, poo poo, I had to keep myself from writing "Asuka's death scene" during this post which made me realize I've always thought she did die, but isn't the general consensus that only people alive for instrumentality could come out of it--hence why Misato/Ritsuko/Gendou couldn't--so she had to have survived this, right?

it's been a while since i've watched eoe sober, but i seem to recall a frame of a rei standing over misato's body before the stairwell blows up, leaving her fate ambiguous?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i caught a few scattered episodes from the first half of the series on tv, then i saw the last two episodes and found them so compelling i went out to buy the whole series and actually watch it in order

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the dub has some inspired moments that i appreciate, but overall is inferior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HoneyBoy posted:

The music is also really fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPkoVjqvoIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTgl3cCyDo

edit: the album cover for these has the main characters dripping "sweat" and nearly naked, if you're at work or something :thumbsup:

i never really got into panty and stocking, but those are some great tracks. now i'm gonna have to think about trying to watch again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mainlining rebuild 3.0 when subs finally dropped then immediately having someone link me the bike horn version was a transcendental experience that exceeded anything i had previously gotten from the whole series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yo peep this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1k02yh43A

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you had to simply sum up anno and all of his works i think the term "giant nerd" fits best and his wife seems to agree with me

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
rebuild 3 was worth it for the insane post-post apocalyptic landscapes alone

also after more than twenty years who is still expecting eva to tie together the plot threads into a pretty bow?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
3.33 really helped me get a handle on the shinji/kaworu relationship. by transposing it into such an alien and hostile environment it becomes obvious why shinji would so quickly and easily grab hold of an emotional lifeline. on reflection the same dynamic is present in the tv version, but it was a bit too subtle for me

my hope for 3.0+1.0 is that kaji is still alive and it turns out if he had just been around longer to give shinji chill advice in the original then the series would have come to a less emotionally messy conclusion

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually don’t hate the timeskip I just don’t like how rushed it was.

I actually would have found it much more interesting had everyone treated him nice while explaining what had happened and Shinji still doing what he did more out of his own guilt rather than basically being pushed towards it by everyone else.

Would have been more in character, IMO.

except shinji has faced terrible treatment and alienation from all of the people close to him throughout most of his life and even when he meets people who are slightly better they're still massively hosed up in a lot of their interactions with him. this hostility from others is behind almost every single one of his actions, he expresses fear of others, resentment of them, a wish to be closer to them, a desire to please and try to live up to expectations, but guilt rarely enters the picture. arguably it does in the aftermath of killing karowu. but shinji doesn't have any notable reaction to the thought of toji's little sister being injured, or the others like her. it's not the fate of mankind resting on his shoulders that compels him to pilot eva, it's the idea that it gives him worth in the eyes of others

so no, the scenario you describe wouldn't really be in character

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I actually disagree with this very strongly, because if this were true he would have piloted the robot for his father instead of waiting until he threatened to make Rei do it.

Or put another way, when Shinji is the only person who can save the world, he's all "gently caress you, you don't really care." When he's confronted with the fact that he's replaceable but that someone else will suffer if he doesn't? Instantly on board. It's childish of him that he has to see the person who will suffer before he gets it (when, of course, others would have suffered if he didn't fight) but that's because he's a child.

Now, as the series goes on? Yeah, I think that sense of altruism is beaten out of him, to some extent. This again ties into what makes Rebuild interesting, because in Rebuild the crisis comes before he's completely lost it.

i don't like writing posts so i get lazy and shorten my thoughts. i meant that shinji is motivated purely by his personal relationships, which are multifaceted, but is never shown to be motivated by any sense of obligation to mankind. so we're pretty much in agreement that point, i just didn't feel like writing out every emotion. i will say that in the midpoint of the series, as shinji becomes more comfortable, he begins to become more tied up in his sense of self worth, being sent away, ect.

on reflection the events that actually bring him to refuse to pilot and then to finally pilot again are based on the fear of losing those close to him. i'm not really sure where that fits in the spectrum between altruism and selfishness

CharlestheHammer posted:

Outside of Toji who is hostile to him. Hell Toji isn’t really that hostile in the movies.

Asuka I guess.

a dude named gendo ikari comes to mind

and misato, his surrogate parental figure, is at best an imperfect source of emotional support and at worst is manipulative

so i guess only everyone that has ever lived with or is living with him. nothing too major

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
actually pen pen was only neutral at worst, so shinji had one decent family member

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like we talk about all the hosed up stuff in Shinji's life all the time but jesus christ let's consider for a moment what it must be like to be raised by a man who cloned you from his dead wife and cares for you primarily as a proxy for her

i want a Rei-centric take on Evangelion so bad

it might be a bit difficult to execute given that the greatest horror is the fact that your not the first and probably not the last clone and i'm not sure how you get the full impact from that from the cloned characters perspective

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

living as a bird without a care in the world

can't possibly true, he had the noisiest, most bonkers flat mates

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gendo isn’t hostile he is indifferent that is a huge difference.

Plus Misato being imperfect is a far cry from hostile.

Who among us is perfect.

So like I said just one classmate really briefly and Asuka a far cry from everyone

denying a child love or making your emotional support contingent on them doing what you want is a hostile act, even if you don't yell at them

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't remember exactly how the conversation goes but when I get home I'll go dig up the scene where she talks to him after the first time he refuses to pilot, I think it will be illuminating.

that's the type of scene i very much have in mind

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wild to think that more time will separate rebuild 1.0 and 3.0+1.0 than separated the end of the tv show and the start of rebuild

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pierson posted:

I don't have a copy of the scene to hand but isn't that more or less the same as the teaser at the end of 3.0 which also had an Eva pirouetting around spewing bullets randomly at nothing?

Also I remember the 2.0 epilogue lied about the content of 3.0 so I don't trust that teaser for a second. :v:

did the 2.0 teaser really lie or did that stuff happen and they just skipped it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
anno's wife's autobiographical manga about their marriage is great. he is just a massive, massive otaku

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i know nothing of darling and the franxx, but that doesn't seem very similar to evangelion at all

as long as we're bumping the thread for dumb poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9RUOEOoNQ

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the only scene they would care about is the masturbation scene and the most you will get is man that was weird and dumb and then everyone will move on.

you could even say that scene is so hosed up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Maurice Augustus posted:

Fun thing is both endings are positive (at least from Shinji's personal level) but one says Instrumentality is good and the other says it is bad.

people say this, but i honestly don't see it. in both endings there is a pretty clear rejection of instrumentality and the impetus behind it

though the reasoning behind the rejections does differ slightly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
- the sequence in which unit 01 starts running after jet alone

-shinji sitting on the train and the compartment occupants change as time passes

-the alternate reality scene where everyone is wacky (only in the dub though)

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 14, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if 4.0 is delayed again i'm just going to welcome the sweet embrace of death

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean, i get why anno would jump at the chance to do it. motherfucker loves ultraman, probably more than the he loves kamen rider

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the hell Rei is reading here? It's in episode 9, the one after Asuka is introduced.

edit: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Rei_Ayanami_(In-Depth)#Episodes_9_to_16 wow did you guys know you can just google things :shepface:

i only knew about this because my mom, who is a molecular biologist, happened to walk by when i was watching that scene and asked why people were studying rna transcription in my weird japanese cartoon

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is true. I just still think it’s hosed up since Shinji (who is 14 years old btw) is suffering through some of the most intense mental trauma and this is what he’s told??

catching up with the thread, but i think it should be kept in mind that misato's response to shinji's grief at kaworu is probably heavily colored by her own personal history. someone also sacrificed their own life so she could live and then she went into a catatonic state for a couple of years, and she still can't wrap her head around why her father saved her, or let go of the survivors guilt. she's telling him to just accept things and move on without thinking about it because that's how she copes with an analogous situation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zeruel posted:

Yeah, that's post Armisael, where she may or may not have slit her wrists. Given that she's in a hospital with a drip, I think it's likely she did.

eh, if she was so out of it that she was out exposed to the elements for the length of time she slipped her handlers and not bothering to eat and drink she'd likely be in a state which would require hospitalization and intravenous fluids

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

MoaM posted:

This is hilarious actually....the most underappreciated episode of the series gets into the biggest Eva film.

man, i had to go back as soon as i read this post and watch the second half of episode 7. just so good. that eva drop gives me goosebumps every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've actually been pretty impressed with some of the cg in stuff running this season, i'm willing to see if they can back it up with direction that plays on the strength of cg