Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who happens to be into JRPGs, they announced that the new Tales games, Tales of Zesteria, is going to include Evangelion-themed costumes for the main cast. (The 4 Eva pilots and Misato.)

I hope the main villain will be dressed as Pen-Pen in a surprise twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Alright so like I don't think I've ever really truly appreciated how loving awesome the fight is in the second episode. Like I feel like I got it a little bit. BUt I just watched it again and like HOLY loving poo poo THAT WAS AMAZING.

One thing I really like about episode 2 is that you don't see the fight in real time. They go through most of the episode, making you think perhaps Shinji pulled this off somehow, and then you see the flashback and suddenly EVA-01 turns into an unholy abomination and goes Berserk and it's all :stare:.

1.11 changes this so you see EVA-01 going Berserk in real time as opposed to in flashback...but then they play out the rest of the section anyways just like in episode 2. It's odd.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaji didn't. He's classy like that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RahXephon is a pretty intentional riff on Evangelion with a gorgeous soundtrack, great artwork, and a mind-numbingly boring cast and plot. Interestingly, Rebuild of Eva does have several references to it.

I still need to see Anno's live action work. I've heard really, really good things about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Where? Curious.

EDIT: Uh some of these timg tags seem like they won't hide behind spoiler bars. Anyone know if there's a fix for that, or does it really matter?

Spoilers for both RahXephon and Rebuild:

2.22's ending sequence seems to be a riff on Episode 19 of RahXephon. In that particular episode, Ayato seeks to protect that girl he likes, and engage in a battle against a Dolem that is actually a manifestation of that girl or whatever (I don't really remember the specifics too well beyond that). His eyes glow red for no real discernible reason that I could tell, as he kills the Dolem. This ends up not working, and the girl tragically dies.

Look familiar? Let's think about what happens in 2.22's ending: Shinji fights Zuruel, who has absorbed Rei. He vows to save Rei, and in his rage his eyes also glow red for no discernible plot reason. We later find out in 3.33 that he appears to have failed to save Rei at all.

The ending of RahXephon revolves around Ayato "retuning" the world or whatever. From what I understand, he basically used time travel magic to undo every bad thing that ever happened in his life from, well, happening. He undoes all of the tragedy. This is exactly Shinji's goal in 3.33; he thinks by pulling the Spears with Kaworu that he can undo Third Impact, only to be proven terribly wrong. The scene of the actual spear pulling has the exact same shot of Shinji's eyes as when they go red, which serves as a call-back to 2.22 (Which I of course argue was referencing RahXephon).

It's nearly the exact same composition as the "red eyes" shot. The two films have different aspect ratios though, creating some slight differences.

WILLE's uniforms also seem to be a play on Ayato's TERRA uniform. In a way I guess both series were about pilots coming into the "future", though I'm not sure about any larger connections past that.

Just compare that to this group shot:

It's been a while since I've actually seen RahXephon or Rebuild, so some of this could be wrong.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 5, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why does she have two pairs of glasses? Is she going to pull a John Oliver?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TV ending first since it was made first, and is also really good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EoE is way more open-ended and ambiguous anyways, especially if you're one of those silly people that thinks that it and the last two episodes aren't meant to be taken together.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^Interesting theory. I had always assumed Mari had been exposed to the "Curse of Eva" longer than anyone else, but that idea makes sense to a degree as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vermain posted:

Alright, everyone pack it up. We're done here. We don't even need 4.44. This is it.

Humanity has finally created the ultimate piece of artistic expression. All other forms of art- past, present, and future- will look miniscule compared to this greatness. This perfection.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Avocados posted:

Just finished it 26.

I dont know. I need to go outside. It feels weird being inside.

That was precisely the message Anno was trying to send.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Noooooooooo watch End of Evangelion sometime relatively soon. It might not make you feel better but it's good poo poo.

Edit: It's not canon or anything but to me EOE is what's happening outside of Shinji's head during the TV show ending. And it's pretty fuckin neato.

25 and 26 contain single shots of scenes in EOE, so even if the timelines don't exactly match up, I think this is the intent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh, I guess it depends on what kind of person you're recommending them to. I view Rebuild as a response to the public's response to the original series (And not a timeloop at all or anything like that), so I probably never would tell someone just straight to skip to those unless they're the type that just wants some very pretty action scenes (Which Rebuild has in spades).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well, it could be both in the sense that anything could happen in the last movie. Shinji could move in with the Simpsons in a post-apocalyptic Springfield for all we know.

That being said I feel there's little evidence for a time loop specifically at this point. Like Rebuild has a lot of references to the original series, but what about them specifically screams timeloop? The closest association I can think of is the "Komm Susser Todd" song in EOE having lines like "I wish that I could turn back time/cuz now the guilt is all mine" but that would be a bit of a stretch IMO, and you'd have to think Anno was a creator more along the lines of someone like Hideo Kojima.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've seen people say this but is there any actual evidence of it at all, like an interview or something? It mostly seems to be based on really flimsy reasoning along the lines of "I don't like Rebuild, but it's deliberately bad because"

I don't think Rebuild is bad, deliberately or otherwise. I just view it less as a typical anime series, and more like metafiction like Godard's Breathless or something. The original NGE is the same way.

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean it's pretty obvious just watching them. People were always saying things like "Shinji should just get in the damned robot!" and then in Rebuild he does and it ends up blowing up the world. If that's not a response to people's reactions to the original then I don't know what is.

I agree with this, as it's Rebuild at probably its most blatant about this.

I view the "Curse of Eva" as another example. It is the Curse of Eva, of being an anime character that fanboys/fangirls refuse to let go of and "grow up"- 15/20/whatever years later, and Asuka and co. are still teenagers, but not because of LCL or whatever. Because of anime fans.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What Shinji did in the series though was...pilot the drat robot also. It just ended differently than in 2.22 because EVA-01 didn't go Berserk there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they're a crucible, they're the pilots' missing parents

This whole post is good and your ideas about the Curse of Eva are really interesting, but this particular line is something I'm unsure about. Like this is pretty clearly the case in the original series, but in Rebuild we can only safely say this about EVA-01. Can we really say that about any of the others? What about something like EVA-13, which uses two pilots? Or EVA-02, which has two different pilots? Or EVA-03, which Asuka herself pilots in this continuity? Hell even EVA-01 herself was converted into powering the WUNDER, so the EVA mechanics appear to be different in Rebuild. It's been a while since I've watched these movies though, so I could be remembering something incorrectly here.

And again, it might be something the last movie touches on and makes more clear, but who knows at this point.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 14, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This is kind of a random question, but y'all know the phantom Rei that appears briefly to Shinji in Episode 1? I seem to recall some version of the series, whether it was the English dub of the original series, the original Japanese, or the English or original version of 1.11 where Shinji recognizes Rei II as looking exactly like that phantom Rei. Does anybody know when exactly that moment was, or was it totally something I imagined?

I'm starting to think it might just be one of those random things the English dub added to the original series (Like how they randomly have Shinji swear in the early episodes occasionally, for example), because I didn't recognize the scene the last time I watched in Japanese.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now that I'm really focusing on it, EVA-02 has a weird looking face.

EDIT: Btw Google-fu tells me it is from something called "Puzzle & Dragons".

EDIT 2: Apparently it is some kind of Pokemon clone thing, but with licensed properties. Like they have Eva characters, and Goku and Batman and stuff.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 15, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Avocados posted:

Oh boy, accidentally saw my comatose friend's boobs. Better lock the door and jack off right freaking here since no one is here to stop me :stare:

(seriously, what in the hell)

Truly the Y Tu Mamá También of its era.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly, this is probably the best way the 100th page of this thread could have gone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Poor Aoba. He's probably the least popular of the bridge bunnies too. Nobody loves him. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SA2K posted:

where's the loving 3.33 dub

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray a little over a year ago thinking it would be out a few months later. Lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So guess who got picked to direct the new Toho Godzilla movie?

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/hideaki-anno-and-shinji-higuchi-to-direct-tohos-godzilla-2016-1201464017/

Probably explains why Rebuild 4 is taking so long, but if that's the reason I can't honestly complain.

It seems that part of the reason that Rebuild 4 got so delayed is because Anno went through a major depressive episode again in 2013. :(

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

An English translation someone sent me:

quote:

What we are trying to do this time.
Also, why I decided to make daydream like Tokusatsu film.

2012, December. After Eva Q opened to public I broke down.
As it is put, I became depressed.
Having cut pieces of my soul for six years in order to make Eva again it was a natural retribution.

2013 comes. It was a year when negative mental waves flooded over again and again. Studio of which I was presentative, studio that I burdened with my work, such studio I couldn't get close to even once.
My relationships to others and the world became weird, as if I was clothed by unrecovable exhaustion, and I was taken in by sense of decay and feeling of mental instability.

In the meantime I caused trouble for many people.

However, thanks to my wife and friends I was able to remain in this world - and I didn't walk away from animation: the voice work I received from Mr. Hayao Miyazaki and my friend creating a new work of the title that made me anime fan in the first place made this possible and helped me to cling on.
A sentai series continued by a friend also supported me as a tokusatsu fan.

Same year, November. Using Shiro Sagisu's PV Production as a hint I came up with plan for short animation anthology - because I yearned to experience the fun of anime and confirm that I like anime - in order to return to the animation scene.
At the same time I also felt it was necessary for the staff and studio battered by Eva production to work on something new that wasn't Eva.
This experiment, currently going on as Japan Animator Expo, is something I'm happy to have done.

2014, beginning. I was finally able to return to studio. Since then I've been returning to work on animation slowly over the year as a rehabilation. In October of the same year I was also happy to be able to honestly look back on my works from high school days onwards thanks to special screening at Tokyo International Film Festival.

And then, 2015. 20 years after broadcast of old Eva, after 2 years of keeping you waiting, work towards completion of New Evangelion Film project is somewhat progressing.
This is because people around me and all anime fans have given me motivation to work again towards the ending. I'm truly grateful to you.
Then, I'm happy if you could give me time for a while, untill the new Eva comes out.

Now at the same time I also create a new work that takes the shape of dreamlike tokusatsu film.
This started in end of January in 2013.

"We'd like you to be director of the new Godzilla film" was the direct request from people of Toho that I got.
"It's impossible. I also have to work on Eva, I can't do this" is how I declined on the spot, being mentally unstable to boot.
However, I was moved by Toho's sincerity and enthusiasm of co-director Shinji Higuchi and thus I ended up accepting the job in March of the same year.

Prayer of science fiction films in general and not only that of past works in continuity, the wishes I put in special effects museum, the wish to repay earlier authors and past works that embodied ideals for me, completing such intentions and responsibilities was the resulting conviction and for that I took the job.
I took the job as a one time challenge, as something I can't do except now, as something I can do because it's now.
I took the job as I realized I was in a state that I couldn't continue unless I took in a new work that wasn't Eva.

Same year, May, I decided what I wanted to depict in the work, what I ought to take as a subject.
And in June of the same year I submitted a proposal to Toho named "G-Work Memo" and started creating plot etc.

A science fiction world where Godzilla exists is not only caricature of reality filled in dreams and aspirations, it is also a satire and mirror image of reality. It is also a reckless experiment to try to depict that in contemporary Japan.
To be frank working in Japan where capital and production time is extremely small in comparison to the world there exists many limits on content and I can not know to just how large extent what is planned can be realized.

However, grasping the pride that belongs to a "film", hoping the resulting works will be at least a little bit interesting, I'm working full power on this and New Eva as the things the current I can do - direction of movies, content of screenplays etc. twists and turns as we're led down the current.

Whatever author writes it becomes a mere excuse, but more than obviously exposing myself for goodwill and badwill, I merely hope this helps you to understand at least a little bit why at this time and in this country I've opted to create fantasy like tokusatsu feature as representative of Japan - this is the final move in this badly written piece.

Finally I want to again express gratitude to all the people around me who've supported me as well as all the fans and audience members who have supported my works, making it possible for me to make films again.

Thank you.

Director-Producer Hideaki Anno

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Hey Evangelion thread, how have you been?

Still waiting on the drat 3.0 blu-ray over here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Haven't checked in with this show since I watched it back in high school. For awhile I thought fans had cracked some vague hints in the show, but it's a PS2 game instead. FAR and all that seem pretty accepted here, but how does it reconcile with them being in the show all of... 0 times?

It doesn't, if you ask me. The series + EoE stand alone in my eyes, random PS2 games be damned.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The mystery is more important anyways since like half the point of Evangelion is facing life and trying to move forward despite uncertainty and ambiguity.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They said that they didn't have a "specific Christian meaning" or something along those lines when it came to the religious symbolism, not that it was meaningless.

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity. Like Misato having a necklace of a cross isn't a comment on Jesus, but just a visual representation of the sacrifice (A concept very related to Jesus) that a) her father made for her, and b) the sacrifice she herself would make to save Shinji in EoE. I feel like most of the religious symbolism can be read in a similar way, where it is abstracted somewhat to be about a broader theme from the religious stories they originate from, but not about Jesus or the Christian God or anyone else from the Bible directly.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 1, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Misato's cross actually has nothing to do with Christianity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-Armed_Cross

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. I don't think it changes too much of my reading of Misato, but I'll have to tweak it somewhat.

EDIT: Actually this page mentions that that form of Cross was used in Christianity at one point as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross_variants

I'll have to read some more about this later tonight.

Szmitten posted:

I think even saying that the cross represents sacrifice in Evangelion is giving a bit too much credit; the cross is certainly a recurring visual motif in NGE, and it appears so often that it definitely is intended to be interpreted as being sacrificial in some scenes, but I still think that's influenced by a having a westerners perspective. Eva generally appropriates the imagery and takes them to mean something internal within itself. Sometimes those ideas overlap.

With the idea of sacrifice at least, I think it depends how liberally you use the word. I would consider the killing of the Angels a kind of ritualistic sacrifice (Just dressed up in traditional mecha vs. monster combat), though I would understand if others don't agree with that particular reading.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 1, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Didn't Anno just choose the cross imagery because it looked cool and it all snowballed from there? No literally no symbolism, because symbolism needs to be intended.

It's Tsurumaki that said that, and I think the quote is fairly misunderstood.

Kazuya Tsurumaki posted:

There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice

I think the key points here are the following:

1) They wanted the show to have a religious theme (!!!)
2) They picked Christian symbolism because it was mysterious/looked cool
3) There is no actual Christian meaning to the show (Tsurumaki's opinion)
4) They might have rethought the use of Christian symbols, if they known about it getting distributed in the U.S. and Europe

I'm generally of the opinion that comments from the creators of works need to be taken with a massive grain of salt as it is (Otherwise you get people arguing that The Birth of a Nation isn't racist just because D.W. Griffith and Lillian Gish says so), but none of this says that Anno just put a bunch of stuff into his show without even thinking about it or researching it at all. It's entirely likely (And I'd say plausible even) that they at least did some basic research on what these things meant after deciding on using Christian symbols, even if they didn't use them to spread a "Christian meaning".

EDIT: Also read Tuxedo Catfish's recent posts in this thread. They're some good poo poo.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^Yeah, I think we're all basically saying something along that line.

Shinji is really only comparable to Jesus in EoE where he actually does end up on the cross (Unless I'm remembering the symbol wrong and it's actually the Tree of Life or something the MP Evas trap him and EVA-01 in), though like with what Catfish was saying about inversions, Shinji doesn't fulfill the typical role of saving humanity by sacrificing himself. Instead he sacrifices his sense of "self" while damning the surviving humans on the planet to bring about Instrumentality (Whether he realizes that's what he's doing or not), and then poo poo really hits the fan there. And then EVA-01 becomes a goddess or something and y'all know the rest.

I guess Shinji is most comparable to Scorsese's conflicted version of Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ, though even he learns to reject his own illusory world/desires to fulfill the typical Jesus narrative in that film.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really need to see The Last Temptation of Christ already. My parents took me to a showing in theaters when I was a baby, but obviously I don't remember anything.

That's, uh, an interesting film to take a baby to lol.

It's a really good film though. Criterion has a pretty excellent Blu-Ray of it out. The original release of it back in the 1980's was pretty whacky too; there's a great book about it called Hollywood Under Siege.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That review is awful.

EDIT: Like I don't even have a response to someone that says the characters had no motivation or didn't change across the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 25, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The manga is terrible, don't listen to him.

I haven't read it myself yet, but everything I've heard about it makes it sound like Sadamoto went "Hey let's take out all of the avant-garde, metafictional, and challenging aspects of the anime and make it a standard mecha story!" after a while.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RahXephon, for all of its many, MANY flaws, has a pretty bitchin' soundtrack at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the parallel to suicide becomes much more obvious if you think of Instrumentality as the death of the (sense of) "self", as the Instrumentalized characters retreat into a primordial state.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SEELE still matters thematically though because much like Kaworu, they represent Instrumentality and the false happiness that Shinji has to learn to reject.

They're evil versions of the Monolith from 2001 (Which this show has many allusions to), and the show's main villains.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Satorr posted:

Magma Diver is the only episode I ever skip.

While I don't think there are any bad episodes of Evangelion, either that or the Jet Alone episode is probably the worst one.

The vaginal imagery used on the volcano is hilarious though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When did you buy your DVD's? I got my Platinum DVD's only three years ago for only slightly over $42 used, and I still think they look pretty good.

I had actually bought the Perfect DVD set right before that for like $20, and it's a shame because while the boxset itself looks amazing, the picture quality was so awful that I found it literally unwatchable. The frame was so jittery that it felt like I was watching a bad Michael Bay film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

3.33 is just a myth on Blu-Ray at this point. It's not real, and we're never going to get it. God is dead, and all is wrong in the world.