Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
After years of waiting I thought yesterday "Hey I wonder if 3.0 is out with subs yet...hey look at that"

*bowl of weed and 2 hours later*

:what:

That poo poo was wild.

I'm trying to skim the post-release posts but is there any good rundowns of "things you might have missed" or theories on what the fucks going on now? I remember being really impressed with the amount of good speculation gleaned from some of the weird poo poo in the first two.

I'm still really enjoying these remakes, the first two have just enough new poo poo to make them worth more than just new shiny stuff and this third one has gone completely off the rails...while still hitting a lot of the same beats. The Kaworu storyline works a lot better in this one in my opinion and the additional bits implying that he's in on whatever craziness is going down fleshed him out nicely.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Regarding WTF happened during the 14 year skip, I didn't see anyone mention that a lot of the damage on NERV looked like bullet/cannon fire and WILLE is explicitly stated to be UN related (in addition to a lot of their normal ship crew being decked out in UN Blue).

Angel attack is still the most likely answer but there was definitely some sort of UN army attack going on either at the same time or in support of NERV (there's a helicopter crashed near the Lillith corpse).

To me it looks like someone restarted the impact event that Shinji started when he was saving Rei2 and they went through some version of the End of Evangelion.

Obviously someone removed the lance from unit01, everyone in the world except a handful appears to be dead (Kaworu mentions mass extinctions being common on this planet) and may have turned into big red, dead-ish, Eva01 clones instead of a sea of LCL (note that all the red corpses appear headless and the Lillith pit is filled with normal human looking skulls...although they might be EVA sized I wasn't paying that good of attention at the time).

On top of all of this stuff that resembles post-EOE (with some changes) the entire movie going off the rails leads me to believe this movie and the next are kind of a psuedo-sequel/remake of EOE merged with some of the beats from the back half of the TV series.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The other odd part of all that being that it looks like Lillith got activated AFTER whatever created the core/RedEva/Skullpit thing since the cross fell on top of that pile and the corpse is crawling over them. The whole thing really stood out to me as a stand-in for everyone turning into the sea of LCL. Like some weird version where instead of popping everyone turned into an EVA and did a B-Ball jumpshot with their skull into the NervHoop.

Mayhaps it's also got some connection to the other headless operating Eva that goes with Shinji and Kaworu. I can never remember the numbers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't really understand much of what's going on with Kaworu but Shinji going all giddy when he sees his boycrush in the middle of a freaking impact event is soooooo funny.

Why exactly is SEELE sending him to NERV? And is it just him who thinks it's adam down there or is that him and SEELE?

I really like the new movies version of Kaworu. He already had the air of "I know whats going on here and I know whats next" and the nature of the new movies fits that perfectly. He seems to be an active player in the high level poo poo and it plays much better.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Fake edit: Guys, I think I just realized Evangelion makes no sense :ohdear:

poo poo.

He's right.

Edit: Watching it again I don't think it's that crazy that Shinji is ignoring everyone and going for the Spears. He's woken up to a world where he's responsible for all his friends deaths (if not the entire world) and someone is telling him there's a way to correct it. He's so obsessed with the idea that even the person who put it in his head isn't a big enough influence to draw him off.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think of the show and movies as a really good tale with surprising amount of internal consistency...that also completely drops the ball in places. There's a lot of stuff that was way more thought out and interesting that I initially thought and there's a lot of stuff that you're probably better off just forgetting about. It's one of those works where you think holy poo poo this probably should've been way bigger of a mess than it is.

Edit: And it is literally the only anime I care to gently caress with. I might've watched other stuff that's alright but this is the only one I'm a fanboy for.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

RebBrownies posted:

Just saw You Are (Not) Alone. And I have a few questions.

At the end of the movie Kaworu says something about "the third". Is he referring to Shinji as the Third Child?

Also I'm super late to the series and the movies, and I was wondering about the interpretations of the titles of the rebuild films. You are (not) alone could easily become You are alone by removing the word in parenthesis. Does anyone have any interpretations of the titles they could share? (regarding the removal of the operative parenthesis words?)

And my last question is regarding the whole fate business that the series presents.
It finally hit me that characters like Misato and the pilots are kept out of the loop regarding the "Scenario" so they get upset when operations go south, while Gendo is always stoic. He knows that a lot of the events are foretold in a general sense so that there are many solutions to fulfill the prophecy.
Was the whole abandoning Shinji thing apart of the prophecy he was following so that he would create a mentally unstable child? Is Shinji's instability manufactured to fulfill the needs of Seele?
It makes me sad to think that no matter what choices the characters who were not aware of Seele's plans were helpless to change anything.
Is there anything the characters could have done to disrupt the scenario/fate? It seems many are at the mercy of Seele/Gendo but then stuff happens (like Gendo's head getting bitten off, and Seele losing out to Gendo) that makes me think that they weren't even in control of what was going to happen.

Here's my takes, with some spoilers for future movies just in case.

The words in parentheses and the titles are probably too deep to find an actual answer but "you can (not) re-do" ties into that movie pretty directly. You are (not) alone, the intro to that movie, and the EOE movie makes me think it's a reference to the end of EOE. The way they're written as being almost optional might be referencing one way or another that the end-game here plays out. The versions of Instrumentality include one where all of humanity is one being (you ARE alone!) or one where we all still get to keep being separate and Gendo sees Yui again (You are NOT alone!).

quote:

Was the whole abandoning Shinji thing apart of the prophecy he was following so that he would create a mentally unstable child?

I don't think so, but it's hard to parse out his reasons for being such a dick to Shinji. He might have his own issues that just plain stop him from even trying even though he needs Shinji to pilot. It could be that he has so much faith in the way things will play out that he just plain doesn't need to care, he knows Shinji will get to where he has to be because that's what the scrolls say (or that's what happened before in another "loop"). He may just not care because he believes he can "fix" things and get his life with Yui back, wherein he'll be a better father to Shinji. Or maybe he loves his wife so drat much he doesn't give a poo poo about his kid at all (these last two seem more likely to me, especially with how explicit the remakes start to be about Ayanami being a Yui clone and stand-in).

My question is: Is there any good speculation or info on what this universes' "Dead Sea Scrolls" actually are? As the whole "loop" theory looks more and more likely I'm wondering if they aren't some kind of document that stays constant through their loops with info added by SEELE/Gendo/Whoever each time they go through.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My guess is that the rebuilds "point" is going to be elevating Shinji to the point where he gets to go through another loop (or more than one) while retaining memory of the last one, either showing or implying that he is on his way to Gendo/SEELE-esque manipulation of the end-game. His interactions with Kaworu seemed almost entirely focussed on telling Shinji the way to happiness is practice and repetition.

Mayhaps the "curse of eva" isn't them staying young for years on end, but actually staying young as they continually go through this TV/movie series over and over again. Like their bodies are transferring from the end of one to the next but their minds are getting star wars droid wiped.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Still can't tell if it's intentional but that's pretty uncanny.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't think it's far fetched to emphathize. He's basically forced to pilot and then work out for himself whether he actually wants to, and he's doing something heroic to save a friend. There's no indication in 3.33 that he knew what he was doing in the moment. He might've said he didn't care what happened to the world and 01 might've enabled him, but when he comes back he doesn't actually feel guilt about deciding to save Rei until someone clues him in that "his" Rei is still missing and it was all for nothing.

I just think it's funny how 1.11 and 2.22 looked like maaaaaybe this was a version where Shinji isn't completely poo poo on and then ahhhhhhhhhh poo poo, sorry. Turns out you killed everybody and you didn't even save Rei and everyone hates you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Unless you're in game of thrones then you're fair game

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't understand 1/4th of EOE and it's still one of my favorite things ever. Also great for getting stoned to.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't think he's really anti-social. Shinji's pretty down with his classmates he just is such a terrible robot driver that they had to move away before he stepped on them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

HondaCivet posted:

Sorry if anyone addressed this in the wiki but it seems to be down right now ... I watched part of the series years ago and didn't finish it for whatever reason. I think I want to give it another shot but now there are a bunch of movies and poo poo and I'm not sure where to start. Should I still start with the original series or are the movies the definitive version of the story now?

They're all still viable.

The latest "rebuild" movies started out as mostly a re-telling but have gone completely off the rails by now (the third movie)

The other movies replace the last episodes of the show

The show is still the show

If you don't want to invest a lot of time just go to the rebuild movies and if you're still interested watch the series, followed by the "End of Evangelion" movie. I still think EOE is the best thing out of all this and it's worth getting through the series to watch it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

trucutru posted:

Mainly the ham-handed way they had Misato&Co behave towards Shinji just to keep the viewer off-balance. That was just lovely characterization no matter what.

Going all :lost: style on him and not talking to him about what happened at the end of 2.0 is pretty dumb but he did almost destroy the entire human race because of a crush he has on a girl and seems hell bent on giving that a 2nd try. I wouldn't have a great opinion of him either.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

trucutru posted:

My point is that this was obviously done to keep the viewer guessing, for the whole :lost: effect. This can work if done properly but in here pretty much everything that happens goes back to them being assholes, when they are supposed to be professionals. That is bad characterization.

I'm just playing devils advocate here but he did have that toe-tag with the ???? when he came out of the ether goo so maybe they weren't about to lay it all out for him out of fear.

Nate RFB posted:

Just sure seems to be like a whole lot of drama and risk to invite into your paramilitary organization tasked with saving what's left of the world.

But he's played such a central and important part in the grand battle up to that point it's completely possible that you might need him for whatever solution you come up with.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The dvd's of EOE are actually hard to find? I would've treated mine better if I knew that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
For me it's like what True Detective just went through. The actual plot isn't bad (personally I find it really fun), it just isn't as thought through as the characters and no amount of wishing is gonna change that. I mean feel free to enjoy Eva for the plot, just know that the hardcores and Lit majors who have already picked the bones clean are getting off on it on another level.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah to me, Eva is a giant robot show with the driving core idea being that the main character doesn't actually want to be driving around a giant loving robot destroying everything and that it's not fun and heroic like your average robot hero story, it's traumatic. Then the rest is just a thematic and logical outward run from there with some japan-ness, and christian imagery/references being mixed up with military imagery/references.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Mods change my name to A-T FIELDO tia

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Franz von Dada posted:

The End of Evangelion too.

Yes. Please procure this before you finish the last eps and don't change a drat thing for your watching and re-counting to us. Ignore everyone.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Gendo's not really any worse or less relatable than any of your other average "I did it all for love!" villians, he's just a lot more productive and less talky than most of them. Plus he has an added air of weirdness since he's not only part of some crazy meta-conspiracy that we're not entirely privy to...but he's playing them as well. For love!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

NikkolasKing posted:

No seriously, why do people like End of Evangelion again?

:420: x10000000000000

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As fun as it sounds, and even as fitting as the final product is to the idea...I really doubt anyone out there has enough hate and willpower to direct the production of a full length animated movie fueled by nothing but pure spite for the people who want to buy it.

(fully expecting a laundry list of Anime movies made on nothing but spite now)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I'd take back those scenes that hurt you
And you'd stay
If I could write without
Religo-techno gobbledy-goo
Then you'd love me, love me
Like you used to do

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They're going to loop and remake the remake

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
evangelion 3.14159: kaworu can (not) play piano: http://youtu.be/VM1TJRbmXwI

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ManOfTheYear posted:

I watched Evangelion a bit when it started to air in the early 2000s here in Finland when I was a ten-year old kid. What the gently caress is this show about? I could have terribly well told about what DBZ was about when I was ten, but this? What's happening? Why? How? Everything is horribly depressing and confusing. I read the OP and the first couple of pages, but that didn't clear much up. So there's aliens, clones and religion involved? I don't remember that at all from back then.

The aliens stuff is deep enough into the fluff that you don't have to really know it for the show, but the originating "powerful beings" they're cloning EVA's from are aliens who got implanted here when asteroids hit earth or something.

Rei is a series of clones, probably of Yui (Gendo's wife/Shinji's mom/The "soul" in Eva1)

The Christian imagery is used in varying degrees as decoration, technobabble and fluff. Most people agree it's there mostly for aesthetics.

The show is "about" depression and self-actualization via Shinji's perspective as a big weiner with no self esteem.

What's happening: A Japanese school kid gets called in to drive a giant robot, the major twist for the series being that he doesn't loving want to do it and it's not fun. After you get past the surface "There's "angels" attacking and we need these giant robots to fight them off!" there's a lot of wacky conspiracy poo poo going on and the robots are like man made gods who can cause apocalypses or something, some people want that to happen. Actually most of them want it to happen they just disagree on how and why it happens. In the end stuff goes batshit crazy.

That's my Eva in a nutshell.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kubla Khan posted:

I don't want to spoil myself so I'm scared of googling this...

How far do the Rebuild movies go? Do they just recap the TV series + EoE with 'improved' visuals and cut content or do they add something new?

Why do a lot of Eva fans hate them?

They do both, it starts out as a pretty straightforward remake with better visuals. It's kind of hard to say how far they are as a remake because after re-doing several episodes they straight up take a left turn and become mostly their own thing. They haven't got up to EOE yet, but that's supposedly what the next movie is covering.

The scuttlebutt is that they aren't really "re-makes" at all but some sort of weird time loop thing where the series happens over and over with certain characters who are aware of it and certain events being weird and different. There's some strong evidence for this and I think it's p. cool.

Eva fans hate them because they're fans. Fans hate everything. I like the series and I really like the remakes. C'est la vie.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think it would be funny at the end of the remakes to find out that Shinji does indeed have free will...but he has it in this crazy loop where his dad and a few other people are just waiting for the random iteration where he happens to do all the exact things they need him to (million monkeys at a million typewriters style).

Like yessss here we are, the morning of 4th impact and everything is good...yessss!! THIS IS IT!!! He's gonna do it!!!! gently caress HE CHOSE CORN FLAKES INSTEAD OF THE COOKIE CRISP. Welp, guess we're in for another one. Anyone want to bet on whether he busts one out on passed out Asuka again this time around?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Milky Moor posted:

Isn't it pretty clear though that Shinji didn't cause all or even most of the destruction we see in 3.0?

It's at least not clear to everyone who's all pissy at him after they un-TANG him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't get it.

And that makes it Eva

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

oh its u. hi.

hellooo

I only really frequent like 3-4 threads of very very disparate topics (Eva, Republican Schadenfreude, UFC, hating on the xbone, fighting game community stuff) and I'm always constantly amazed at the crossover of users between them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
One of the possible Asuka endings is "Team Rocket" lmao

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
oops, put on the wrong outfit for my pantyshot

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
EOE makes exactly as much sense to me as the TV ending, it's just much prettier.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Evangelion 4.444 - It's (not) jsut my dikc

Really though I rewatched 2 and 3 this weekend and when the three of them walk off at the end I just had a scary feeling something sexy might happen and it's gonna be weird. Partly because of all the looping self-reference poo poo going on and EOE opening up with a weirdo sex thing.

Maybe I'm just so hosed up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I also realized the giant heel turn where everyone hates Shinji and his life is super hosed actually feels like a relief after the first couple of movies. It just feels correct.

I'm a big fan of the way they've been doing these. The way they re-do the dramatization of certain things like Shinji being confused and angry about the Rei clone really works for me. Like, I don't know about all the other poo poo attached (Wunder, curse of eva, mari, etc) but Shinji's feelings and breakdown over his "rescue" of Rei are a lot more believable and weighty when it's connected to something like an Impact and everyone hating him.

Having a giant breakdown because you find out someone you had a crush on died and got replaced by a clone is one thing, having one because you found out you blew up the whole world to rescue someone and didn't even get that right (and everyone knows it) is even better. Someone working on these correctly noticed that mirroring Shinji's personal highs and lows with epic plot highs and lows is a good, cool thing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 2, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Died when he threw the gawrsh in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A poorly bearded body washes up on shore with a note that says "buy some deoderant for christs sake"