Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I watched the show and one of the movies. I didn't get it at all. Is there a good source that explains what was going on at the end?

Which movie did you watch? If it wasn't 'End of Evangelion' you need to see that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I watched whichever movie starts with the main guy jerking off on a girl in a coma.

:thumbsup: You're one of us now. :confuoot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kavak posted:

Except there's no book with a version that actually makes sense.

Maybe when the manga finishes in another five years or so....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spoilers Below posted:

Let's talk about one of the major influences on Anno himself, and Evangelion in particular: UFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAIXP937Ac

Giant robot shows seem to love UFO for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJj7qR6Djw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, finally saw the third movie. Not sure what to think right now, my only impression being that very little of substance actually happened at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two Worlds posted:

Is this a joke? Or are you just stupid?

Stupid, I guess. Thanks for the insightful reply though!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just off the top of my head...

Shinji no longer has any sync ratio with Unit-01.

Asuka has an better reason than ever to hate Shinji, but has matured enough to help and maybe even forgive him.

Gendo killed SEELE which basically rules out a direct repeat of EoE.

Mari is old enough to have known Yui when Shinji was born.

Rei is still alive post-Third Impact, albeit without memories. (I think/hope they're going for a double-fakeout here, Shinji accepted that it isn't "really" her awfully quickly.)

"Hope and atonement."

Yeah, I got most of that though I'm unconvinced that that's the pre-Third Impact original Rei, since there as a deliberate scene of her outside the 'Rei cloning tank'. I guess my perception of story progression has been completely thrown off by the break from the original TV series, even though I knew that was coming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Also I could not take Gendo seriously at all in this movie. I was laughing pretty much every time he was onscreen and/or said something. He is more of a caricature or parody at this point.

I half expected it just to be him and Fuyutski sat alone in the shell of NERV going through the motions of their usual plans while the rest of the world has moved on and forgotten about them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why are people assuming Misato activated the collar? They say right when the collar's first put on that it's set to automatically activate if it detects the wearer about to start an Awakening, which is exactly what happens.

It even shows that she couldn't make herself do it when Shiji was first escaping.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Like I said, I really liked it and I feel like it could be building to something really cool...in two years...or so...

:smith:

That's my biggest problem with 3.33, setting up a bunch of questions, not answering them and not really advancing the plot a great deal wouldn't be too big an issue if the next movie was coming out later this year and not in 2016 or whatever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The thing with all the supplemental material stuff is even if it is canon (and I wouldn't put it past Anno just to make a bunch of bullshit up for the guys who made that game) you're not really supposed to know any of it whilst watching the series, everything is supposed to be vague and people messing with stuff they don't really understand.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DVD release of EoE was letterboxed way after that poo poo should have gone away, they mistranslated a critical part of the plot and added a bunch of random stuff to the dub.

And I don't think we even got that awesome menu in the UK version, at least I don't remember it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's any consolation, Manga Entertainment doesn't really exist anymore, except as a name that various anime distributors have taken on in the UK because people here expect 'manga films' (anime) to have that logo on the case.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm always amused whenever anyone calls something an 'Evangelion reference', when 90% of the show is referencing other things in the first place.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks to every other giant robot show people had been trained to think that the first thing that would cross a 14 year-old's mind when told to pilot a giant robot against a deadly unknown enemy that will probably end in his death is 'gently caress yeah!' So him going 'gently caress no' was like crazy talk, what are you some sort of wuss?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's true to a certain extent, but I think even the opening episodes have enough of the Anno/GAINAX touch to elevate it above the average giant robot show. Certainly the art direction, soundtrack and general direction are a cut above the norm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Instrumentality sequence with 'Komm, susser Tod' playing is probably my favourite animated sequence of all time, dodgy early 2000's CGI and all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's where it's confirmed, but it wasn't exactly a stretch considering what we knew up to that point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, the remastered DVD's that came out like last decade are the best you're gonna get at the moment. Might be some Blurays for the 20th anniversary in a couple of years but that's pure speculation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

The subbed version I saw (ADV, back when anime came to us on $30 DVDs with 3-4 episodes) included it.

Evangelion on VHS was two episodes per tape for £15 (about $25) each in the UK.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously Water Closet, it means 'toilet' in British.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

No seriously, why do people like End of Evangelion again? I freely admit that when I watched it the one time I kinda just zoned out after about thirty minutes because I had no clue what was going on or why I should care. The only time I revived a bit was when Asuka came back awake because she was fighting off SEELE's Evas and I understood enough of this BS plot to know that she shouldn't be able to do that. She didn't have an S2 Engine and they did. Then they randomly kill her after losing for a few minutes for no apparent reason.

If I didn't like Eva too much would I not enjoy RahXephon? Then again I don't even know if the two are actually alike. People have said they are but people also told me for years NGE was like Xenogears and that was bullshit.

EoE is Anno loving with the fans and putting in a bunch of stuff that people said they wanted in a 'real' ending and twisting it all horribly.
Also I'd love any film that was the authors rage manifest on screen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's influenced by Michael Crichton and Harlan Ellison novels, and the same tacky British TV show that inspired X-COM

Don't talk poo poo about UFO. :colbert:

One of my favourite things about Evangelion is how it shows how obvious a Gerry Anderson fan Anno is, half of the vehicle and city designs could have come straight from Thunderbirds or Stingray.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That intro is probably the best thing to happen to 70's TV.
It's creaky as gently caress (unsurprisingly for a show of its age) but has some genuinely creepy moments. The costume designs are hilarious in the way only 70's shows can be though.
GA also seemed to be a big fan of the bad guys being unknowable, cold, alien intelligences around the time of doing this and Captain Scarlet (his all-round best work), shame he went back to pantomime villains for Terrahawks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because she's a clone of Yui and actually useful to him as more than a pilot for the Eva's, in EoE he intended to use the Rei who he lavished all the attention on as the catalyst to make him the 'center' of Instrumentality, but that Rei was dead and the current Rei chose Shinji instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched the dub first because that was all that was available here at the time but I don't have any particular fondness for it, apart from the episode where NERV has a power cut, they really played up the comedy aspect of that compared to the Japanese version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

End of evangelion is one of the best films of the 1990s, and one of the best animated films of all time

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 'Komm Susser Tod' beginning of Instrumentality is probably my favourite animated sequence of all time, slightly dodgy late 90's CG and all.

In fact the film is full of absolutely breathtaking imagery; the mass produced Eva's circling the exposed geofront, the crucifixion-analogue of Unit 1, the post-Instrumentality red sea wasteland.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 5, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Butt Ghost posted:

I haven't watched EVA because the first episode never grabbed me, and when I tried to watch the first Rebuild movie, I wasn't really grabbed either, and I thought the naked Rei scene was kinda creepy. Plus I was under the impression that the entire series was just pretentious nonsense, but does Shinji really have some confusion over his sexuality and start falling for Kaworu in the anime? Because that's actually pretty neat and makes the series sounds like it goes deeper than just meaningless religious symbolism thrown everywhere, and might make me give it another chance.

Man, and I thought I was gay for gay stuff.

Serious answer? Not really, at the point where Kaworu shows up, he's pretty much the only person who actually treats Shinji like a human being and there's maybe some gay stuff but it's mostly just Shinji being amazed that someone actually likes him. Also that all happens in episode 24 out of 26 and is the last 'normal' episode before the infamous ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's believable and human for someone who isn't Shinji. He had his moment of rage threatening to use Unit 1 to destroy NERV HQ before they forced him out, but outside of an Eva he's the same old passive Shinji. Even his later defiance is by not doing something, refusing to pilot again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wade Wilson posted:

The thing that bugged me about the Dummy Plug/Unit 03 fight in the original series was that it seems like Shinji could have, I don't know, kicked it's rear end and pulled the entry plug out of it to save the pilot before demolishing the Eva itself.

It isn't like the Dummy Plug's berserker pulverizing of the other Eva put it at any less risk of also being infected or anything.

Well, yeah, that was kind of the point, if Shinji had actually acted instead of going 'noooo there's someone in there' and forcing them to use the dummy system, things would probably have worked out a lot better, but Shinji's gonna Shinji.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this earlier.

LOLOL Holy poo poo the manga is trash, way to completely gently caress up Kaworu's character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, that 'probably' should have been maybe. It could have ended just as badly, and considering how well Shinji taking initiative and actually doing something usually works out, maybe what really happened was the best that could be hoped for. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I imagine about at much as people who play fruit machines care that they're themed around Deal or No Deal or Coronation Street or something ie. not really as long as it pays out occasionally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly Evangelion is just an incredibly dense show, I must have watched the whole thing 6 or 7 times by now and I'm pretty sure I've noticed something new every time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's terrible, don't taint your memories of Robin Williams with it.

Shut up, it's one of his best films. Don't expect a comedy though, it's from when he tried doing serious stuff along with Insomnia. He was pretty good at being loving disturbing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

pretty sure like, 80% of the Robin Williams filmography already does that pretty well. I remember being an angry little boy when I got duped with whatever they were thinking with Flubber. Plus I think stuff like Patch Adams and Death to Smoochy are basically film crimes against humanity.

RIP though, sweet eva fan (I wonder what a nigga's OTP was...probably Rei :regd09: )

Jack was worse than them all. Jack was worse than anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrPop posted:

It's going to be 90 minutes of telling what happened between 2.0 and 3.0 and then a 3D remake of the end of episode 26

I'd pay money for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one time he comes close just fucks everything up even worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope they all had cores/S2 engines they just didn't show them during fights with some. Though I guess some of them were microscopic/existed in imaginary space or whatever.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Keep listening because the next one is Connect from Madoka Magica and i'm dying.

holy poo poo