Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
That was pretty great, the video's summary description loving destroyed me

Lyer posted:

Finally caught this yesterday and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's simultaneously a very straight forward and a very confusing movie. I think the entire movie just served as setup for the finale, it wasn't really meant to convey any sort of major plot advancement. It really felt like the first half of a bigger story, cut up into digestible parts. I would be very surprised if 4.0 didn't start off immediately after 3.0 ended.

I found it amusing that basically the 11th, 12th, and 13th angels were taken care of rather easily and they just happened to get in the way of the real conflict: humans fighting against each other.

I also dug the fact that you see absolutely no one at Nerv, when it's obvious there are people there; they just don't matter in the grand scope of things.

I thought that the current status of Nerv HQ was a metaphor for the Tower of Babel, interesting read when thought in context of 3.0.

Finally I think we'll never get the answers to why and what exactly happened in the 14 year time skip. A flaw that the characters share is the inability to accept things as they are and move on; just as the audience needs to accept this is the way things are and we will only see what will happen and not what did happen.

This sums up just about everything I feel about 3.0. I really did like it, and where it's going, and the cries I hear of "it's thematically moving away from show" or anything really strongly negative are just incomprehensible to me. I think Anno is doing a great job of progressing things while paying homage-- in short, I think this is a fantastic remake.

That said, this did feel like watching a nice big long episode rather than a movie. So I do think they could've paced things a little better considering how we have to wait so long. I didn't really feel much in terms of momentous climax. It felt like the minor "climax" of a normal TV episode. I could've used an awesome OH poo poo cliffhanger, I guess is what I'm saying. (I know they were hoping to release them sorta back to back so I'm not trippin.)

God 2.0 was so loving momentous and epic.

Maybe on a certain level part of the point is that 3.0 is supposed to be the almost somber interlude, the disorienting head trip for Shinji to set up a balls-to-the-wall finale. I genuinely feel like I won't be able to pass any kind of worthwhile "judgment" on 3.0 until I see 4.0. Anyway great job Anno and team, beers all around.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok the rest of the graphic is definitely neat but the timestamp for Kaworu is just fuckin amazing. So awesome.

WickedIcon posted:

On that note, what the hell is with the acid-trip sequence when Shinji and Kaworu play piano together? :psyduck:

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Bonding? I thought it was a pretty straightforward scene, really.

Yeah I actually thought this scene, against all odds, was kind of phenomenal. I did not expect myself to like it, and I did. It was also a really enjoyable remake/reboot/callback/whatever/rebuild of Shinji and Asuka's DDR episode.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Finally got around to watching 3.33. The shogi scene was the most incredibly jarring thing, completely at odds with the rest of the franchise. Having a conversation with Shinji and simply telling him the truth? No dream sequence or overly subtle hints? They are all living in bizarro-world.

I thought this was a dope move (narrative-wise). Plus he could've totally been doing it at Gendo's manipulative behest.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but I'm getting tired of people making this mistake.

Shinji isn't a manchild. He's a child. Fourteen isn't old enough to drive a car in Japan, nevermind an apocalypse robot. Treating him as if he were Evangelion's moral focal point is absurd, and in fact that absurdity is a big part of the show's actual message.

THANK YOU, I have been meaning to say this. He's a loving lonely 14 year old kid who is stunted by Japanese standards, and when (subconsciously) measuring the actions that follow from this personality by the rule of our childhood, it's easy to forget what it might be like to be raised in a country with Japan's depression rate, molestation rate, rape rate, suicide rate, birth rate, mom-giving-you-a-handjob-for-doing-your-homework rate,

...So I'd say he's doing a pretty decent job of not going completely loving insane piloting absurd robot creature things that smell like your mom and having to fight incomprehensible lovecraftian nightmares constructed of out pure terror while going through loving puberty

Not to mention he is a nice, shy dude, who isn't even remotely interested in violence the way we're nearly programmed to when we think OH poo poo IF I GOT TO RIDE A GOD ROBOT AND KILL ALIENS AT 14 I WOULD BE FUCKIN ALL OVER THIS poo poo, WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS DUMB PUSSY, JUST PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE which is how I reacted the first 3 times I watched Eva in college

Which says something about watching giant robo shows. And criticizing other human beings in general.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anyway I almost indulged myself in a big write-up responding directly to some of the more extreme judgments and criticisms of the characterization of Shinji and Misato and others, but I'll actually let a meta-observation do more of the talking for me. And for the record if it sounds like I'm yelling at anyone, I'm really just excited and also kinda just having fun with strawmen, so no offense.

My opinion is that Anno is honestly doing an amazing job of painting three dimensional characters with conflicting, confusing, hypocritical facets that are utterly and accurately human, and not random or haphazard in a way that a lot of criticism ultimately implies (in a certain sense; I am not saying that's actually what anyone intends to say). And it's kind of a joy to see this thread swing and wrestle the pendulum back and forth from opposite ends of the spectrum until it aggregates and settles into a measured understanding that they are all acting in character and they are frustrating and thought provoking in a way that, well, nearly the rest of anime characters do not really come close to. I think that's beautiful.

I will say quickly though that I think Misato's overall grim demeanor, her affected indifference and harshness towards Shinji, her unnecessary presence at Shinji's debrief, her inability to activate the DSS choker, and her characterization as a whole is completely and utterly consistent with someone who's had to spend the last 14 years questioning everything she's done leading up to and during Third Impact while continually steeling herself to handle the battle for survival at hand. Without going too much further into the nitty gritty details of this moment or facial expression or that... it just makes perfect sense to me. And I think it's great art. And great art can't be reduced so easily into the kind of digestible one or two dimensional morsels that I think your average anime and videogame fan is accustomed to. Anime often reduces the world into stylized sprites and tropes the same way videogames model real life with strict and simple systems, and I think Anno does a fantastic job of challenging that and dashing it. I think it's why he's overcharacterized as a "troll," when really I think he's at worst mischievous and satiric and at best playful with his self-awareness and knowledge of the industry and the context of Eva as a cultural phenomenon.

Anyway yeah Eva deconstructs anime and giant robos pretty much as well as Watchmen does men in tights. <3

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Wittgen posted:

Has anyone seen the Shick/Evangelion ad campaign? It came up on a youtube ad, and I laughed quite a lot. http://www.alafista.com/2012/04/23/schick-x-evangelion-gendou-gets-a-clean-shave/

Sorry to interrupt the serious and interesting analysis. I feel everyone deserves to see gleeful shaving Gendo, though.

That was loving amazing

I swear to god even if Anno might not be that involved with the sprawling Eva marketing campaign (I have no idea if he is, and ultimately his vibe trickles down into his staff anyway), he checks off on these ads because they are HILARIOUS

LOOK AT GENDO

LOOK AT ASUKA

LOOK AT REI

LOOK AT THAT FUCKIN RAINBOW

This poo poo is doo-doo-DUMB

Kaji mugging for the camera is also pretty pro. Beers all around fellas.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
You can (not) discuss (sub)text in this thread

You can (not) accept any other opinion besides your own

You can (not) calm down

But no seriously I'm amazed people are able to pass judgment with such finality on Rebuild when 3.0 was nearly 100% setup and zero conclusion. And I'm equally amazed people feel like Eva is supposed to engage on only one level (colors and drugs/moneygrubbing cashgrab/profound symbolism/genre deconstruction/a nice story about poorly-raised kids being put through insane situations and trying to find love) and only that level (because it either appeals to them the most, or they feel like that is the sole premise of the work).

I'd say Eva does a pretty great job of doing all those things. It's also completely connected in doing all those things, which is why it's both difficult and naive to keep trying to reduce it into these just incredibly narrow interpretations like "X character saying Y thing to Z's facial expression = gently caress you anime nerds" when it's more like, the entire gestalt has plenty of room for gently caress you anime nerds, hell yeah anime nerds, let's trying growing up anime nerds, and oh, also, this is a story that you can enjoy without being an anime nerd, because it engages on a fundamental loving human level. It's not just about you.

It's not a goddamn rubik's cube or a puzzle or even a videogame where the sole purpose is to Figure Out What Symbolizes What. It's just pretty legit commercial art. Not even saying it's super deep. It's just really well done and provokes a shitload of human reactions while having a lot of fun and weirdness.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Word, that was nice to read. Doesn't reflect poorly on the sentiment that you gotta watch the original series to fully appreciate Rebuild though.

mr. stefan posted:

I may piss someone off for saying this but I kind of get the feeling that a lot of people have become so invested in writing off Eva as a slap-dash cash-grab with meaningless symbolism and a fandom full of "pretentious" suckers that, when presented with evidence that they may be wrong and NGE actually has some modicum of artistic merit, they flip the gently caress out and go into sunk-cost defense mode rather than admit they were wrong about something on the internet. These people don't want to look deeper than the surface of the work, because doing so may present them with evidence that they weren't actually as clever and ahead of the curve as they thought.

As a tangent, its interesting to note that as far as I'm aware, Japanese society does not have the same "high art/low art" divide that the west does. Its entirely possible for a creator to make a work as a thought-provoking cultural analysis and a blatant cash grab at the same time, and see no contradiction in this. Superflat (an art movement actually partially inspired by evangelion) is an excellent example. Its roots are in taking the endemic super-cute aesthetic of anime and escalating it to the point of grotesqueness, sometimes by juxtaposing it with deliberately uncomfortable and ludicrous sexual imagery, but the very same artists who do this work don't see any particular fault in turning around and doing paid design work for the very same people they're openly mocking, sometimes in the exact same style.

Hear hear! I really think NGE is amazing at nailing "art" from all sides like some kind of super hentai mindfuck gangbang

I actually meant every word of that

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Man all these ideas, even the ones that are pretty out there, are really enjoyable to read. Even with the ones that my brain reacts to as "wrong" or "too technical" I'm still enjoying the human reaction and the connections being drawn. Really fun.

I do think it would be cool to have some kind of outline in the OP of what's happening on a technical level. Maybe colorcoded to separate the easily confirmed stuff from the inferred stuff and the speculative? Maybe not even deal with heavily speculative stuff? It would just be good to have a nice, concise little explanation/reference thingy for us and newbs to refer to (every time I get back into Eva I feel like a newb again). I could start it but my knowledge of Eva is so lovely and confuzzled and I'm sure I make a lot of assumptions on stuff I believe to be "fact" when it's actually pieced together/implied or from the games rather than the series. A lot of the evageeks wiki articles don't have citations.

Like how Adam lands in the White Moon with his Spear, Lilith lands in the Black Moon with no spear, necessitating Adam being deactivated by his spear, and Humanity uncovering him and waking him up starting the entire loving poo poo with the Angels. While this is not presented in the series, it's nearly legit canon from the games, and totally consistent with everything. Maybe this would be a different color from Fact. All I know is that this information helped me enjoy EoE even more, and it would be good just to have like, a reference sheet, but specifically coded to signify what's plainly fact and what isn't. What do you guys think?

That or I feel like at least this should be in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g (or any better equivalent)
edit: or gently caress, I dunno, now I'm watching this again (it's been a while) and some of the stuff you guys have been saying contradicts some of this, and but I buy your explanations more (like gendo and seele's goals/motivations

I still don't loving know if that's Adam or Lilith at Terminal Dogma in 1.11/2.22, I THINK I remember you guys saying it was Adam a bunch of pages ago? In the series it's Lilith right? But the Angels think it's Adam? How the gently caress do you trick Angels? If they're naturally drawn to Adam, then how-- :psypop:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, as far as the series + EoE goes, the relevant people are on record describing it as "a live performance" where they made up things as they went along.

This sounds awesome, are there interviews of this I can read somewhere? (currently reading through http://www.gwern.net/otaku#conscience-of-the-otaking)

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 20, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
drat you guys got me wondering over whether or not I actually DO enjoy the alien/scientific stuff vs being in the dark.

Ya know, I'll say I did enjoy the wtf and mystery of a lot of stuff, like not knowing where the angels came from, giant of light, adam, all that poo poo, yeah, god, the series was so amazing the first time I saw it as a teenager, just knowing gently caress this is nothing like all the other robot animes. This poo poo is loving surreal and amazing. So from that perspective maybe it was great that I didn't know what was going on at all.

BUT

Tangification in EoE was way more enjoyable/interesting when I looked up what LCL and human instrumentality meant. I just thought everyone loving died (like, completely died, period). Well, poo poo. Now I remember kinda loving how depressingly apocalyptic it was when I was a kid. Even if that was a complete misinterpretation.

gently caress. I dunno. It's weird. The final scene of EoE was thought provoking then, thought provoking now, beautifully artistic and nebulous then and equally so now, having eaten the fruit of knowledge :v: :v: :suicide:

I dunno. I think what frustrated me the most is when it got in the way of my understanding of the characters. Not having ANY clue what the gently caress was happening with Gendo and Rei and Yui and Eva 01 and everything in EoE was pretty frustrating.

And, of course, this entire metanarrative of my perspectives as a kid with no loving clue what was happening around him (Shinji) and as a man understanding most of it, down with most of it, still pretty powerless (Fuyutsuki?) is also more fuel to the fire of my undying love for this insane series. I don't give a flying gently caress if that is bald confirmation bias and rationalizing and blind love and whatever, this loving poo poo rocks, and it's the best goddamn art anime has to offer, I swear (okay one of the best).

edit: although it's interesting that for so long, i took some of the extreme american rumors so literally, like that the ending of Eva was a literal manifestation of Anno going actually clinically insane, and got tons of death threats. Now I know that his breakdown was much earlier, and yes they were running out of budget and winging it but it was still coherent, not just a total acid trip. And that the "death threats," when translated, are actually mostly pretty positive fan mail and the rest could just be like idle threats or even kinda facetious but his life wasn't actually in any danger.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

The artificial Angels in Rebuild 3 are creepy as hell. Who built them, anyway? NERV?

EDIT: Also, a request: does anyone have a GIF of the scene from the original series where Shinji makes eye contact with Unit 01? That was the defining moment of Evangelion for me, that was when I realized I had to keep watching. So good.

Yeah I think we can pretty much assume NERV/IPEA. They're also Eva-types, which is awesome. The drones at the beginning are Eva Mark04a (you can even see it in the HUD) and then Mark04b which is the ribbon guy that Shinji/Unit01 takes out with the eyebeam. Mark04c (nemesis series) are the ones in the sea that Wunder plays tetherball with.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 21, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Misato doesn't activate the collar, but strictly speaking neither does Kaworu. It's set to automatically go off in case of an "awakening," i.e. when the pilot of an Evangelion can't control their emotions and things start going all signs-and-omens-shaped. They mention this in the scene where the collar is first introduced.

I dunno dude, I'm gonna say that if Kaworu can just take the fuckin thing off and on at will, he can also trigger it himself. And when he says he'll close the doors of guf and impales eva13 with the spears, there's no way that would be a move towards an awakening that would trigger the collar (if anything he's trying to shut things down). Not only that, technicalities aside, the entire vibe of the scene was very much sacrifice and goodbye that said to me, both as informed or uninformed viewer, that this was his move.

efb

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

SHISHKABOB posted:

One of the things I liked a lot about 3.33 were the little references to various episodes from the series that didn't show up in their entirety. For instance, obviously the Jet-Alone episode doesn't happen in Rebuild, but we see Shinji wearing a suit that looks very similar to the one Misato wore. Kaworu and Shinji making music together and doing Evangelion stuff together is sort of reminiscent of "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!".

I felt like I noticed a lot more of them but I haven't rewatched 3.33 yet, and that was a bit of a while ago.

I also took Asuka's ignition of Wunder as a vague vibe callback to Magma Diver. You could even see Eva09's bluepoophackinglegs as reminiscent of Ireul trying to take control of Wunder's system (would be so cool if somehow Ritsuko was able to jack the Magi from NERV when they broke off as Wille and use them to control Wunder)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Whaaat ok evageeks definitely loves to stretch and often states speculation as fact but they do sperg out some really neat stuff. Dunno if it's been mentioned here before but I definitely never noticed that awakened Eva01's face does very much resemble that of an Angel's.
Just really neat detail.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

bof_man posted:

Does anyone have any speculation concerning Rebuild Final ? Well, here's mine...
The next 30 minutes is an introspective scene about what it means to grow up, have children, and live as a family. There's even a 5 minutes slice of life comedy with Gendo, Yui and Shinji as a nuclear family.

Yesssssssss requesting chibi scene + kitchen hijinks pls thx arigartoe

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ramiel, both series and Rebuild, totally loving rules. I also really love how rebuild has started incorporating human screams into the angel sound effects, and I noticed this most when Ramiel charges up his laser for the second shot. The finality of the CLANK or whatever when it shifts is so dope too.

Also could not get enough of a kick out of Sahaquiel's arms unfolding out, hands clasping Shinji's in the most... expressive visual of being-vs-being struggle, and then loving just, insanely transforming into horribly painful-looking stigmata. So sick.

God it's incredible how much "personality" these loving aliens have. I won't lie, I also thoroughly enjoyed how easily and gymnastically Asuka kicked clock-Angel's rear end. Plus how it crucified that first fleet of destroyers before getting it's stupid rear end handed to itself.

I'm going to just end up naming every angel but I still gotta shoutout Zeruel's loving arms, especially when they hit awakened Unit01's AT field and pile up like goo slamming into a wall at a million miles an hour (the animation, sound, and "friction" (gaming-term) of his Rei-arms unraveling like mummy wraps and then coalescing into iron drums before firing like cannons is also loving amazing).

Popcorn posted:

Yes, the athleticism of the Eva designs is what makes them so original and strange, I think. They're not the standard chunky mecha thing.

That particular sequence is brilliant, but I haven't liked how the Evas are animated in a lot of the Rebuild stuff. The teaser for Rebuild 4 is particularly ugly to me... it looks like rotoscoped CGI action figure bullshit. The EoE Asuka battle remains unbeaten in terms of animation "weight" and visual drama.

Another weird thing Rebuild 3 lacks is any sense of visual scale. They usually put a lot of stuff in the shot (cars, buildings etc) to show how gargantuan the Eva units are. They use audio cues too, like the rumbling sounds as the Evas get into position at the start of the clip you posted. In Rebuild 3, they're just floating in these hyper-abstract spaces the whole time, almost like old Looney Tunes cartoons, with no sense of scale by comparison. At the end they're running on all these skulls that are way too big to be human, knowing how big the Evas are, but it has the effect of making them seem human-sized. It feels like a deliberate choice they made but it certainly adds to how sparse and airy Rebuild 3 is, despite the density of poo poo going on in it half the time.

Eva design/animation is the best "mecha" design

I agree that the animation in teaser for Rebuild 4 really sucks because it's so "fluidly" rotoscoped CG poo poo. I miss the bendy, stretchy, human/animal animation of the series. I'm also not the hugest fan of Unit 02's beast mode paws and stuff.

That said, for some reason I really like the faces in Rebuild. Asuka's face just kind of rules, and I loved the animation on Shinji's face as she was pulling his lip at the end of 3.33. Then going back to 1.11 and seeing that the faces are purely the style of the series, just HD-ified, and then 2.22 where the style slowly...matures? for lack of a better word? really made me love the progression all the way up to and through 3.33.

I do agree that with 3 there wasn't as much of that (amazing) sense of scale (that I loving LOVE about 1.11/2.22; seeing severed Eva limbs fall on buildings is the poo poo), but that's also cause everything human has been destroyed, ya know? :v: I actually kinda like that-- 3.33 had a very dream-like, lost feel, every frame of reference just obliterated and lost in history, which reflects the sense of like, disbelief and confusion that permeates Shinji's mental state as we watch him lose it. So I kinda love it, and totally agree that it was a conscious choice to give space and air and maybe even reduce the "awe" of the Evas' size to a....human scale? Wunder felt huge in comparison, with Eva's just like humans space-walking on the shuttle, fixing and fighting poo poo.

Valentin posted:

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but I only just discovered it and it seems relatively obscure.

Back when 1.0 came out, Gainax licensed Evangelion pachinko machines (NGE being the licensing gold it is). These machine incorporated video, and one of the videos was an alternate scenario where Kaworu pilots Unit-04 and fights Ramiel with the Lance of Longinus. It's pretty nifty, since I don't know if Unit-04 actually gets animated everywhere else.

Whaaaaaat awesome

If anyone has any more bonus Eva animation goodness please share! I need it like druggs

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 23, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing you need to "justify" 3.33 is that Shinji did something horrible, but doesn't understand what or why. That's literally all you need to understand 3.33 as a narrative, apart from some helpful trivia like "so what's up with that tape recorder thing?"

If you needed to know what happened in the intervening fourteen years they would have shown you. But you don't, because Shinji didn't experience any of that and the whole point is to put you in his shoes, sharing in his confusion and frustration.

kthegreat posted:

Why do we have to speculate all this? Why were we not told anything to justify the bullshit that goes on in 3.33? Where is the loving movie explaining all this nonsense? Why did they arbitrarily decide to murder half the cast (intended hyperbole) off-screen between movies? They obviously had enough money for the cluster-gently caress they called art direction in this movie, so it couldn't have been that they didn't have enough money to pay the voice actors.

Seriously, this movie was garbage. Fan speculation can't change this fact for me. This ruined how amazing 1.11 and 2.22 were.

You sound mad enough to ignore the advice of your only friend in the world that something has gone horribly wrong with the plan he came up with and that you should stop, and then follow through with it anyway

Abalieno posted:

"There are a lot of realities. This is one of them.
This is the result you wished for.
Yes, annihilation, a world where no one is saved.
This is reality.
It's your own world where you coexist with time, space, and other people.
It's a world where you yourself decide how to perceive and accept it.
Right now, this is your world, where everything is given to you.

You're saying even this darkness and this world of half measures are all things I wished for?
That's right.
This is one of the many ends that could occur."

stretchy but reasonably enjoyable holy spirit stuff

bof_man posted:

Suggesting new thread title - Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread : It's the Rorschach test of anime. :v:

Neon Genesis Evangleion Thread: This is the result you wished for.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 23, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(I quibble because despite that I agree with 90% of your post.)

EDIT: If anything I would compare Yui to the impotence of anti-war movements, since her greatest mistakes are trying to work within the system and her passive, unresisting fatalism. She's not part of the Cold War machine, she's just an inadequate counter to it. Shinji's mom is a hippie who actually got the keys to the universe but couldn't rock the boat hard enough, because she just "goes with the flow" (In her own words, in at least one translation.)

Although that might be putting too American a face on a Japanese show.

Agreed with you and The Riddle of Feel, that's dope. We are extrapolating tons of poo poo based on minute loving glimpses of characterization and slices of implication but it's still dope. Eva is crack.

3.33 really really grew on me, I was making fun of kthegreat but I totally understand-- I felt a little let-down after my first viewing, but now I just keep rewatching it and hoping that on my 5th viewing and if I keep clicking on Asuka's cameltoe enough it'll unlock 4.0

ninja edit: I did actually feel uncomfortable writing that but jesus christ they really do just shove these things in your face, plus I cracked myself up

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Just sayin'

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wish I could back it up or justify it somehow but every time Mari is on screen I have the biggest, dumbest grin on my face. Everything about her is just inexplicably funny to me, which is important because there's not much comic relief in Rebuild apart from that.

:smugdog::smugdog:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
All I can say to the nearly embarrassing awkwardness I feel just being in the same room as an english dub of a show so utterly inextricable from a culture and language so profoundly different from ours is:

POR FAVOR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Robert Denby posted:

That was my favorite "Evangelion" parody video… then I saw this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgv9lJ9jE

Why did I immediately start laughing when the 95 logo started loading

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Requesting the pretty funny (if memory serves me) black and white comic (in sketchy MS paint?) of Shinji kicking rear end and being assertive. Not the color "if Shinji had a spine" comic where he's sort of an douchebag. I cannot find this loving comic for the life of me and it is driving me crazyyy

Side note, I'm curious what viewing order you guys prescribe for your friends new to the series. I just got someone totally addicted to it, but I started with Rebuild 1 because he's an artist and my hook was the (incredible) animation and aesthetic design. Then he watched 7-26, then EoE, then hit evageeks just to sort out the basics, then watched Rebuild 1 again while I tried to explain the important differences, and now he's rarin' to watch Rebuild 2. I think it was a decent way to introduce someone to the series. I specifically forced him to watch the series before getting to Rebuild 2 for the obvious reasons, but also because I wanted rebuild third impact to hit him like a ton of bricks

I'm also gonna say it's kind of a trip to imagine him watching this for the first time as an adult (we're in our late twenties) compared to my first watching Eva as a sulky loving kid.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

PootieTang posted:

Rebuild 1 before the series maybe. Watching rebuild 2 before the series / EoE is just wrong.

Agreed.

yellowjournalism posted:

Requesting the pretty funny (if memory serves me) black and white comic (in sketchy MS paint?) of Shinji kicking rear end and being assertive. Not the color "if Shinji had a spine" comic where he's sort of an douchebag. I cannot find this loving comic for the life of me and it is driving me crazyyy

Does this at least ring a bell for anyone or am I imagining poo poo?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
eva is a story that repeats
:goonsay:

seriously though this subject has been discussed for like 75% of this thread

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Is there anything in Rebuild 1 that diverges from the plot of episodes 1-7 in a meaningful way, or would it generally be ok to replace episodes 1-7 in a viewing order? I guess there's that one thing about humans being Lilim mentioned on this page. Oh and Unit 01 doesn't move to save Shinji from the falling debris at the very beginning.. I think. Anything else?

You mean the moon scene at the end that completely changes the game?

Srice posted:

Yeah, I always loved how they did that.

I understand why they changed it for 1.11, since that's the sort of pacing that works well for tv episodes but not so much with a single movie.

But it's still a shame that to see it be changed to be more straightforward.

100% agreed. A lot of little changes like that felt kinda lame until I realized that the original way would not have served the movie-format at all.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Isn't this the one inside the mk. 6 in 3.0?

I counted mk. 09 hacking in to wunder as a dope nod to virus angel.

vvv No

sorry for the million ninja edits: but he was referring to Mk 06 in central dogma containing an angel that is freed when Mk 09 chops its head off which I actually think is too much of a stretch, there isn't really a virus aspect, it's more just an angel chilling inside an eva

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 9, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
No you got it right that's Mk.06. We basically have no idea what the gently caress it's been doing for the past 14 years.

edit:

Terminal Entropy posted:

Nah, it is the one that merges with the Magi. The one that gets inside Mk. 6 was, floating in the clouds of it's flight path I think?

You're thinking of Unit 03 AGGGHHHHHH NUMBERRRRS

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 9, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Me too because his Third Impact got canceled pretty fuckin quick

..Any theories?

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2013

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I like that the first two acts were buildup to an amazing climax and the third act just sunk everything in your chest. Looking forward to 4.0.

Took me some time (and probably the subsequent viewings) to get there but I pretty much love it now. Some stories do well with a straightforward rocket to the top but this is not one of them.

As for keeping Shinji in the dark I find it pretty easy to lampshade (14 loving years of loss have gone by, they didn't trust a drat thing coming out of that eva, Mark09 hit them before they could even breathe) for the sake for theme. 3.33 really nailed its themes of confusion and betrayal and loss.

I also find Misato's inability to pull the trigger grossly overlooked. Her being cold as gently caress the whole way through made this crack all the more momentous to me. She just put the entire human race back into risk (allowing the entire ensuing clusterfuck to happen, mind you) because she cared too much for this thing they weren't even 100% sure was Shinji. If you guys wanna be real about it, what would any smart organization do with the person that inadvertently blew up most of the living world because the whole shebang was unpredictable as gently caress? Kill the poo poo out of it, immediately. No one's got time for feelings or explanations or whose fuckin fault was whose when the human race is about to go extinct. In fact it's technically amazing they kept him alive at all. That's as much "forgiveness" as I think you could possibly show for someone who blew up the world and is still a walking timebomb (once again, it simply does not matter whether or not it was his fault).

edit: ^^^ for the record, when I say amazing climax, I'm pretty much just referring to dramatic curve and the feeling for the audience

edit2: and to kinda piggyback on your post, that's what I love about Rebuild 3... it kinda slices Rebuild 2 to shreds and shows you just what a hollow victory it was. I find it....pretty real in terms of chronicling that moment in adolescence where you swear to god you did the right thing, everything seemed great, and then suddenly the carpet goes out under you and it turns out everything went to poo poo. That poo poo happens in life, man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(*Except Mari, who really is a cheerful and well-adjusted Eva pilot. Go figure.)

Exactly. Mari is not real. Mari baaaasically represents what anime fans think is AWESOME and all protagonists should be.

But as Joss Whedon basically said, fans don't really know what's good for them.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 11, 2014

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Woah, woah, don't get me wrong. Mari is a great time, I'm just referring to the joke of what she represents. In fact with the way you put it, I can read it as the role that fantastical, indulgent characters play in fiction-- as an ideal to strive for and look up to, even if it is sorta unreal.

I dunno if you're responding me to when you say Rebuild is primarily negative or critical because I don't even remotely think that at all. I think Rebuild 3 is the (practically necessary) pull-the-carpet-out setup for a triumphant, uplifting climax of victory and maturation (with a bittersweet ending of course).

I think Rebuild 3 (and consequently the series in general) would've been total poo poo if it had an ending that felt anywhere as good as Rebuild 2.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks to every other giant robot show people had been trained to think that the first thing that would cross a 14 year-old's mind when told to pilot a giant robot against a deadly unknown enemy that will probably end in his death is 'gently caress yeah!' So him going 'gently caress no' was like crazy talk, what are you some sort of wuss?

I always liked even just the surface read of Eva deconstructing anime and robot shows by saying: this is actually what happens when you stick a nice, compassionate 14 year old into a huge killing machine and tell him he has to save the world at all costs, p.s. you're an rear end in a top hat for thinking killing is easy

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol sachiel landed 4 days ago and I only just now woke up

4.000000 :argh:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

nehezir posted:

well, poo poo. I really need to re-watch the series. I'm holding off on the rebuild movies until they're all out.

Just watch em now they're shot for shot remakes so actually kinda boring tbh

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

:greenangel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Zas posted:

fail western pomo artist: I'm need read 100,000 pages of critical theory before I start my master work
win japanese auteur: I need to finish reading this sailor moon doujinshi before I start my master work

anno's the dude sleeping in the back of class