Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think I'd be happier with Megaforce if AdBlock+ worked with Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know why everyone seriously brings Wasserman up as a good thing, outside of the MMPR theme song the show's music was either forgettable or downright bad.

I unironically enjoy MMPR's vocal fight themes. They're a big part of the show's identity to me.

I mean yeah, they're this doofy faux-grunge thing, but they suit the show perfectly.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How could you hate I will win, Fight, and We need a hero? :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

I really hope they just make Gia the leader of the Pirate season or something.

Well if they can find the tailors who can modify suits to their alt. gender versions, I'd totally watch that.
Bringing this up makes me wonder why there was never a Gokaiger episode where the switched with each others' Rangerkeys for some reason or another.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Flameingblack posted:

King: I'll let you two handle the complex stuff! (Refering to Ian and Souji)
Amy: You don't think of me as one of the smart ones?

At this point all King does is nod his head yes. It doesn't seem to bother Amy. :stare:

Considering she spends almost every fight in :black101: mode, it's a fair cop.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know why everyone seriously brings Wasserman up as a good thing, outside of the MMPR theme song the show's music was either forgettable or downright bad. Especially future theme songs which were all stilted messes.

How can you hate In Space, SPD, and the X-Men 90's theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fMkkZ9H3g0

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BoutrosBoutros posted:

The "charm" is entirely manufactured in your own head. They really are pretty awful if you try to watch them and separate out the nostalgia.
I don't want to suggest that my nostalgia isn't influencing me, but I have to feel like they tried harder to tie the MOTW battles to the storylines a little harder than they're doing in some of these Megaforce episodes. The episode with Creepox's defeat (which was terribly anticlimactic) featured a bullying plot that resolved itself before the battles even began, though they tried (badly) to tie it loosely to the fight right at the end. Then the Roboknight episode started with them discovering a leaking power plant, which was never again referenced after Roboknight appeared because who cared about the environment, robots!

I will say this though: I genuinely like Vrak as a villain. He's got a good level of smug and believable cunning. I may root for him a little more than the rangers sometimes, even if he is constantly swapping forms.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Weren't the Yumajuu turned into Toxic Mutants or whatever? That's sort of foreshadowing.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Justin_Brett posted:

Weren't the Yumajuu turned into Toxic Mutants or whatever? That's sort of foreshadowing.

They were toxic mutants in Goseiger too, and the environmental message stuff was dropped pretty quickly after one clash between the Goseigers and Gosei Knight about it.

Potsticker posted:

I liked Double's and Gokaiger's monster suits a lot. OOOs had some good ones too, but I'm lukewarm on Fourze's and Wizards. Gobuster's were too same-y and they reused suits a lot. Kyoryuger's so far have been pretty good, I thought.

For those of you who don't like the ones in Double, which series' monster suits do you like?

W's monsters ranged from cool (Weather) to silly (Sweets), overall I thought they were pretty average. My favorites are Agito's Unknown/Lords, Blade's Undead and Fourze's Zodiarts. I feel like those strike a good balance between having consistant, related designs without being uniform like Faiz's Ophenochs.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Orphenoc were really, really good looking though. Yeah they were all slate coloured, but they were all really unique designs.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Does it count as foreshadowing if they establish the toxic chemicals minutes before the toxic mutants appear and explain that the aforementioned chemicals turned them into said Toxic Mutants?

I guess I can forgive that if Goseiger too dropped the environmental angle as quickly tho.

Agent Rush posted:

W's monsters ranged from cool (Weather) to silly (Sweets), overall I thought they were pretty average.
Sweets had a silly design but I think the Dopant sound more than made up for it. SWEETS! :swoon:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
So they're going to get a new cast for Gokaiger's US adaptation right? I can't see the robo red ranger becoming Mr Swag, Captain Marvelous, or the nerd becoming second in swag, Joe. Gia would make a great Luka and Jake might make a good Joe and that's about all. I don't know why BMX queen would suddenly become the frail princess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flameingblack posted:

So they're going to get a new cast for Gokaiger's US adaptation right? I can't see the robo red ranger becoming Mr Swag, Captain Marvelous, or the nerd becoming second in swag, Joe. Gia would make a great Luka and Jake might make a good Joe and that's about all. I don't know why BMX queen would suddenly become the frail princess.

There's something floating around that says that we're not even getting a full Gokaiger adaptation, and for some reason the pirate suits will be upgrades for the Megaforce rangers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Flameingblack posted:

Nope, the Megaforce cast will become the Gokaigers. Gia's actress posted a picture of herself with Gokai yellow's helmet a week or so ago.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rei_ posted:

The Orphenoc were really, really good looking though. Yeah they were all slate coloured, but they were all really unique designs.

It seemed odd to me that they'd make these really cool detailed suits and then just make them all one bland solid color.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

They were toxic mutants in Goseiger too, and the environmental message stuff was dropped pretty quickly after one clash between the Goseigers and Gosei Knight about it.

The environmental message continued basically throughout the entire series so I'm not sure what you mean there. Goseiger is hippy as gently caress.

The Uma were basically Captain Planet villains though, yes. Their gimmick was that they thrived in pollution and so all of their MotWs had some sort of pollution theme.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The first episode of Garo: The One Who Shines the the Darkness is loving amazing.

Like, I'm loving torn, I watched the raw with the Over-Time script and I'm like, this is pretty loving good and I'd almost say like, watch it NOW that way... But if the 1080i Raws are THAT much better I can totally see it being 100% worth it because the show is visually brilliant plus there's some timing issues with the on-screen text translation and karaoke but that's nothing you really couldn't just fix yourself right now, and it's not really that big a deal.

Watch it twice!

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 10, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Will I be lost if I haven't watched Garo before?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's more or less a clean break for the series. Watching Garo seasons 1 and 2 might help with a bit of the world building context (AND YOU SHOULD WATCH GARO) but you should be fine, I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You would be lost in life if you haven't seen Garo. Garo is loving fantastic, and is my one sole bit of proof, beyond all of the Ultraman and Kamen Rider Double, that I don't just like things from the 60s/70s/80s. You know, if you also ignore Kuuga. And Agito is fine I guess, a little too cluttered. And I'm bad at this so I'll just shut up.

Garo is awesome. The second season may be stronger over all, for characters and the plot, but the first has the greater scope and some pretty goddamn badass fight scenes that just can't be topped.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I felt the first season had a better overall story while the second season had better individual episodes. Both seasons have some pretty loving insane fight scenes though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rei_ posted:

I know, and looking at still pictures really shows that off, but when they were in motion I just couldn't get over them being all grey.

ImpAtom posted:

The environmental message continued basically throughout the entire series so I'm not sure what you mean there. Goseiger is hippy as gently caress.

The Uma were basically Captain Planet villains though, yes. Their gimmick was that they thrived in pollution and so all of their MotWs had some sort of pollution theme.

Gosei Knight attacks a factory once while blaming humans for the reappearance of the Umajuu. I don't remember anyone else bringing up the idea that humans were at fault afterwards, as opposed to blaming the current crop of monsters who wanted to destroy/enslave the planet. The Umajuu were also based on cryptids as well as pollution, hence the U.M.A. portion of the name for anyone who didn't know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
How long does it take for the first Garo to really get going?
I watched the first episode, but afterwards wasn't compelled to watch the next instead whichever Rider or Sentai it was I was watching at the time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's...arguable. I'd say the series doesn't get really fantastic until a few episodes in, though the early stuff is important for setting up stuff.

I want to say that after the clock tower is when the first series starts to soar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

Gosei Knight attacks a factory once while blaming humans for the reappearance of the Umajuu. I don't remember anyone else bringing up the idea that humans were at fault afterwards, as opposed to blaming the current crop of monsters who wanted to destroy/enslave the planet. The Umajuu were also based on cryptids as well as pollution, hence the U.M.A. portion of the name for anyone who didn't know.

Gosei Knight has multiple occasions where he blames humans in general for being fuckups, although only to that extreme of attacking them once. His arc is basically him going from "man, gently caress humans, ya'll are ruining this planet" to "Huh, maybe humans aren't so bad." It plays into the fact that He is Bladerun's Headder and Bladerun has basically the same mindset times a thousand because he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

You would be lost in life if you haven't seen Garo. Garo is loving fantastic, and is my one sole bit of proof, beyond all of the Ultraman and Kamen Rider Double, that I don't just like things from the 60s/70s/80s. You know, if you also ignore Kuuga. And Agito is fine I guess, a little too cluttered. And I'm bad at this so I'll just shut up.

:wtc: Kuuga and Agito ran January 2000 to January 2002, what does that have to do with the 60s to 80s? For that matter, what does Garo, whose first season was in 2005? Am I having a stroke, or are you? One of us needs medical attention is what I'm saying.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

AzraelNewtype posted:

:wtc: Kuuga and Agito ran January 2000 to January 2002, what does that have to do with the 60s to 80s? For that matter, what does Garo, whose first season was in 2005? Am I having a stroke, or are you? One of us needs medical attention is what I'm saying.

"These things, which are not from the 60s-80s, are evidence that I can enjoy things that are not from the 60s-80s."

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh, I read that like four times and didn't see the word just.

Off to TGD I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's cool. I'm a wordy bastard some times. I just fear that every now and again some one will accuse me of being a snob, since a lot of the shows I love are 30 years old now and they tend to be the ones I talk about more.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Just finished Gokaiger. That was pretty drat fantastic. I do feel that the climax of the show happened with the final duel against Basco and everything afterwards was just a very quick mop up. The final fight against Emperor Gil on the Gigant Horse also felt a little flat and underwhelming, until they took it Earthside and ran through every Sentai team throwing everything at him, that was a nice finale.

I mean hell, I barely recognise any of these teams (Zyuranger excepted for obvious reasons) apart from what I've seen/learnt through Gokaiger and it still put a massive smile on my face.

Don't know where I'll go from here, show-wise. I was trading off between Gokaiger and Kamen Rider OOO early on - definitely going to get back to OOO but I don't know whether to marathon through OOO or pick another Sentai series and take a more relaxed pace.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Just finished Gokaiger. That was pretty drat fantastic. I do feel that the climax of the show happened with the final duel against Basco and everything afterwards was just a very quick mop up. The final fight against Emperor Gil on the Gigant Horse also felt a little flat and underwhelming, until they took it Earthside and ran through every Sentai team throwing everything at him, that was a nice finale.

I mean hell, I barely recognise any of these teams (Zyuranger excepted for obvious reasons) apart from what I've seen/learnt through Gokaiger and it still put a massive smile on my face.

Don't know where I'll go from here, show-wise. I was trading off between Gokaiger and Kamen Rider OOO early on - definitely going to get back to OOO but I don't know whether to marathon through OOO or pick another Sentai series and take a more relaxed pace.
Go through OOO and then watch Jetman or Dairanger.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ImpAtom posted:

Gosei Knight has multiple occasions where he blames humans in general for being fuckups, although only to that extreme of attacking them once. His arc is basically him going from "man, gently caress humans, ya'll are ruining this planet" to "Huh, maybe humans aren't so bad." It plays into the fact that He is Bladerun's Headder and Bladerun has basically the same mindset times a thousand because he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

Well, that goes to show how little I remember about Goseiger. Thanks for the clarification.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Finish OOO, then go check out Kuuga, which it borrows like 70% of its themes from. (The other 30% is Blade, but I'm loathe to recommend Blade due to only TV-N subs.)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

mikeycp posted:

How long does it take for the first Garo to really get going?
I watched the first episode, but afterwards wasn't compelled to watch the next instead whichever Rider or Sentai it was I was watching at the time.

You really owe it to yourself to get to when a new character turns up and a certain fight scene shortly after that (you will know which fight I mean when you see it). The show hits its stride before then but that's an early highlight and if you're not in love with Garo at then point then you are a bad person.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

ActionZero posted:

You really owe it to yourself to get to when a new character turns up and a certain fight scene shortly after that (you will know which fight I mean when you see it). The show hits its stride before then but that's an early highlight and if you're not in love with Garo at then point then you are a bad person.
And the following episode, when THAT theme song debuts :allears:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Has anyone subbed the Hakaider movie?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Rei_ posted:

Has anyone subbed the Hakaider movie?

Closest that I've seen is what appeared to be HK subs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a US DVD.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Light Gun Man posted:

There's a US DVD.

Hawaii fuckin' loves them some Kikaider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hawaii fuckin' loves them some Kikaider.

This one was Media Blasters, so it's reasonably priced and had real distribution.

Of course you shouldn't buy Hakaider, because for the same price you can get Hakaider and two other Keita Amemiya films bundled. And really, who doesn't like effectively free movies? Dunno why it's Zeiram 2 and not the original, but hey, it's free.

• Locked thread