Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

ATC ois posted:

Due to OTHER / STAFFING, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 14 minutes.

And so it begins. Good luck to those of you affected and hopefully this nonsense gets solved ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
So I have a question: I'm getting ready to go for my second medical, not second class medical, but my first renewal (loving special issue medical). I remember filling out a form last year before my first medical, where one question said "Is this your first medical application"

Question is do I need to fill out any papers to bring with me to the AME like I did the first time, or do I just schedule with the AME and show up?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

So I have a question: I'm getting ready to go for my second medical, not second class medical, but my first renewal (loving special issue medical). I remember filling out a form last year before my first medical, where one question said "Is this your first medical application"

Question is do I need to fill out any papers to bring with me to the AME like I did the first time, or do I just schedule with the AME and show up?

Schedule and fill the papers out online.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

This happens to me all the time coming into DTW, it looks so close then you get to the ground and the other plane is way far away.

You based in DTW?

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Does anyone have a connection at AOPA? I just applied for a sales job and I am looking for a contact.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

Ours goes to the watch desk. Not like they're actually doing anything up there anyway.

High, effin, five. True speak!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

AWSEFT posted:

Schedule and fill the papers out online.

So am I filling out a new 85008 and submitting my 'application' to the FAA? They don't have it in their database from last year?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

So am I filling out a new 85008 and submitting my 'application' to the FAA? They don't have it in their database from last year?

Pretty much. I believe the system remembers some of the information that you submitted last time (name address, etc...) but I recall having to fill out most of the information again.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with the FAA, which has an institutional distrust of "common sense" or "logic" for pretty much everything.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Was pretty sure the health care visits didn't need to be relisted if already listed on a prior form. For conditions, you have to make sure you check the same ones as last time (plus any additional ones that have cropped up). In the explanation, you can write that the condition was previously reported instead of explaining it all again. Your AME should be able to help you with this.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So I recently took advantage of a demo flight deal off of Groupon at a local flight school in Hayward, CA.

Wasn't too bad, but it was kind of windy today, and a Cessna 150 is a very light aircraft. The resulting turbulence made me kind of airsick, and while doing some rather simple maneuvers (15 degree, then a 45 degree sustained banked turn) I got REALLY airsick for a few minutes (but didn't throw up) which cut my flight short :(

I have a pretty light tolerance to movement (I get sick if I ride enough roller coasters), but I'm curious to know if you build up a tolerance to airplane movement/turbulance the more you fly.

I'm hoping that I could get my PPL sometime in the future, but it wouldn't be worth it if halfway through I found that I can't really do some of the more advanced maneuvers (stall/spin recovery especially) without getting airsick.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Plenty of people get sick when they first go up.

Don't let that first flight hold you back. Once you start really flying and get to feel more in control it will probably fade.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Comfort with turbulence comes with exposure as well. Nowadays when I'm flying the 150, if I'm not hitting my head on the drat overhead lamp then I'm not worrying about it.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Wicaeed posted:

I have a pretty light tolerance to movement (I get sick if I ride enough roller coasters), but I'm curious to know if you build up a tolerance to airplane movement/turbulance the more you fly.

Yes, you totally build up a tolerance over time. When I started, I got sick as a dog after about 20 minutes, but I worked my way up to hot summer days in the bumps for hours after I finished my PPL. It takes time and exposure.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
There's a book about a pilot that defected from the USSR by stealing a mig-29. In the beginning of his flight training he got sick, but got over it as he progressed. Before he stole the mig he tried to get sick in the airplane to get removed from flight status but couldn't make it happen even while sticking his finger down his throat and doing aggressive aerobatics.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

There's a book about a pilot that defected from the USSR by stealing a mig-29. In the beginning of his flight training he got sick, but got over it as he progressed. Before he stole the mig he tried to get sick in the airplane to get removed from flight status but couldn't make it happen even while sticking his finger down his throat and doing aggressive aerobatics.

Such a beautiful picture, hahaha

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

ausgezeichnet posted:

What does it feel like when you lose your soul?

JK. I worked for three Regional airlines, a National and two Majors and I wouldn't wish the crew scheduling position on anyone. Coming from the pilot perspective, we understand that most schedulers are doing as best they can with poo poo resources.

It's a stepping stone for me until I get my dispatch certificate. Not my ideal job, but followed my girlfriend to this city so I had to take what I can get.

It's not truly awful. Some days are worse than others and 95% of the crewmembers are cool. It's just the rest of them that are jerkoffs that you remember.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A few big, puffy white clouds dot the skyscape a few thousand feet overhead. Light breeze, gently swirling. Clear blue sky otherwise. Great day for your first flight!

Not so much. Light + swirling + puffy clouds = TURBULANCE. Those light puffy clouds are where the super-heavy thermals have managed to get enough humidity punched through the terrible inversion layer to create clouds, but everywhere else above the surface, crap is churning. It's chunky, thumpy, and inconsistent. Swirling winds on the ground SUCK for takeoffs, and they're gonna change every hundred or so feet until you're above those puffy clouds, which, now that you're at their level, you can figure reach to like ten thousand feet up.

Don't puke, this is what your whole summer is gonna be like, unless you decide you like getting to the airport at Civil Twilight and starting your flights around then (give-or-take sunrise), when the katabatic winds haven't had their chance to get anything moving, and the ground-level heating hasn't been able to cause any horrible spot thermals.

Disregard all of this if you're flying gliders. The above is a PERFECT DAY, and bring your oxygen, you'll be seeing the world from FL140, and it's fun.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

helno posted:

Plenty of people get sick when they first go up.

Don't let that first flight hold you back. Once you start really flying and get to feel more in control it will probably fade.

This.

I've lost track of the number of students I've had get sick early in their training, and in most cases, they got better as training progressed.

In my experience, doing flights early in the day (before it's had a chance to warm up and get bumpy), and having the student fly the airplane as much as possible (while avoiding things like steep turns early on) usually does a lot to help with the motion sickness, as does making sure they're looking outside. In about 4.5 years and 1400 hours of instructing, I've only had one student who never really got over motion sickness, but he was also the only student I've never had who just never figured out how to fly the airplane.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

azflyboy posted:

having the student fly the airplane as much as possible (while avoiding things like steep turns early on) usually does a lot to help with the motion sickness

This is so very true. I've got ~230 hours and never really had any issues, until about two days ago. I'm working on my instructor rating and while doing the Attitudes and Movements lesson there was a rather long portion of my instructor throwing the plane around into various attitudes while explaining things and I just sat there observing. It was really the first time I've felt uneasy flying, so much so that I actually ended up asking to cut it short. Guess this is something I'll have to get used to if I'm going to sit with students who are flying the airplane!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Slightly different scope, but my cousin is an accomplished automobile racer, and he occasionally instructs a racing course at Barber. He never has any problems racing, but while riding with students he often gets car sick. Being in control mitigates motion sickness immensely. I don't know how rally co-drivers do it (or fighter RIOs for that matter).

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
That's totally not true, as I was in control of the plane doing 15 degree and 45 degree banked turns and was feeling unwell by the time they were finished.

Definitely want to go back for more though :)

I read the OP and wasn't able to gleam much about the process of actually starting training towards a PPL, but generally what are the first steps if you are going towards an unstructured approach?

Flight training first, ground training, etc?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Everyone's path is different. I went to a part 61 flight school and my instructor told me what to study. I downloaded the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Airplane Flying Handbook, the AIM, the FARs, and the Practical Test Standards. My instructor gave me some guidance and I self studied. Took practice written tests online until I passed them consistently.

In the end, I had very little ground instruction logged, I did most of the learning myself. I was able to take my certification ride at 40.0 hours. Everyone is different, but if you're motivated and have a cooperative instructor (and it's part 61) you can get everything done much more quickly and cheaply.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Everyone's path is different. I went to a part 61 flight school and my instructor told me what to study. I downloaded the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Airplane Flying Handbook, the AIM, the FARs, and the Practical Test Standards. My instructor gave me some guidance and I self studied. Took practice written tests online until I passed them consistently.

Pretty much this.

Those publications will give you pretty much all of the information you'll need to pass the FAA written, as well as a good chunk of the material your instructor will cover during ground lessons. The FAR's can be somewhat incoherent on their own (they're written by herds of lawyers, and are slightly less interesting than a phone book), but your instructor should be able to provide a reference as to which of the FAR's you actually are expected to know for the checkride.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Wicaeed posted:

Personally, I chose to do all of my ground school first since it was relatively cheap ($138 for the course) and then moved into the practical after passing my knowledge exam and saving a bit of money to keep the practical side more consistent. If money flow isn't a problem for you, the school I went to recommended both at once, so that the practical could reinforce the knowledge side, and vice versa.

From my perspective, the knowledge first approach worked fairly well, but I could see the benefits of both.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Wicaeed posted:

That's totally not true, as I was in control of the plane doing 15 degree and 45 degree banked turns and was feeling unwell by the time they were finished.

Definitely want to go back for more though :)

I read the OP and wasn't able to gleam much about the process of actually starting training towards a PPL, but generally what are the first steps if you are going towards an unstructured approach?

Please pay actual attention and internalize the aerodynamics in the early ground lessons, and connect it to what happens in the airplane. Most people hang on to it (in an abstract way like some cryptic moon runes) just long enough to pass the checkride, then quickly forget about it and the rest of their flying career it's "move the stick this way for the airplane to do this" with nothing deeper. But it actually matters.

For anything the airplane does, ask yourself, and don't give up your research until you can answer, "What force is causing the airplane to do this?"

I deal every day with pilots of all experience level and backgrounds, and you guys would be just stunned with how many can't answer a basic question like "In a normal turn, why does the airplane turn?"

vessbot fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 26, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
PFM of course!

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
For Canagoons, apparently the Air Cadet glider program has been shelved starting September 1st due to cost cutting.

Argh. :(

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
That would be unfortunate. With out gliding the air cadets are basically army cadets.

I literally just finished editing a bunch of gopro footage of our squadrons last outing. Sadly it can't be posted online so you guys will never get to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrctbfusPWs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For those that haven't heard: http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-calls-effort-end-airport-delays-good-140534158.html

Cliffs Notes: Congress passed (and Obama apparently intends to sign) a resolution allowing the FAA to rob Peter to pay Paul. Paul is/are controllers, Peter is an as-yet undecided entity that has $250m laying around.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Please let it be the TSA.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I believe the funds will have to be taken from elsewhere in the FAA, so I'm afraid the TSA isn't on the table.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

Please let it be the TSA.

God I loving wish.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And if they took it from TSA they would just can Known Crewmember.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I have to wonder if Obama isn't going to use this to push the FAA for a user fee scheme.

Obama has tried on several occasions to impose a $100 per flight fee for using controlled airspace, only to have it shot down in Congress every time. Depending on where the DOT pulls that $250 million from, I can see Obama making a push for that fee to cover the lost money.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

azflyboy posted:

I have to wonder if Obama isn't going to use this to push the FAA for a user fee scheme.

Obama has tried on several occasions to impose a $100 per flight fee for using controlled airspace, only to have it shot down in Congress every time. Depending on where the DOT pulls that $250 million from, I can see Obama making a push for that fee to cover the lost money.

You think gun owners are scary? He's seen what people with planes can do to infrastructure.

Joking aside, a usage fee will be denied by congress, again.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Whelp, got an interview for an aerial LIDAR gig in a C206 on the 2nd. Here's hoping. I need to do an approach in the sim on the interview, and I'm a little terrified because it's a Redbird non-motion and I've never used one before but I hear they're extremely twitchy. Anybody know? I wish I could find a redbird near here I could hop on for 20 minutes and just get used to.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My first reaction is that you're a monster, but apparently LIDAR can be used for things other than giving people speeding tickets...

What exactly would you be using the LIDAR for?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

My first reaction is that you're a monster, but apparently LIDAR can be used for things other than giving people speeding tickets...

What exactly would you be using the LIDAR for?

Domestic drone strike targeting, obviously.

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

The Slaughter posted:

Whelp, got an interview for an aerial LIDAR gig in a C206 on the 2nd. Here's hoping. I need to do an approach in the sim on the interview, and I'm a little terrified because it's a Redbird non-motion and I've never used one before but I hear they're extremely twitchy. Anybody know? I wish I could find a redbird near here I could hop on for 20 minutes and just get used to.

The Redbird unit I used didn't seem overly twitchy. I personally found the flight dynamics and general "feel" to not be as good when compared to other simulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

MrYenko posted:

Domestic drone strike targeting, obviously.

It's aerial surveying with lidar but maybe a few speeding tickets and drone strikes on Apollo if I'm in Texas

• Locked thread