Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

gigButt posted:

It is flying season in the Midwest! Calling all NE Ohio (and area) pilots who want to fly with me! I tend to go on 2-3 cross countries a month both IFR and VFR in C172's and hopefully soon a C210, Bonanza, and Saratoga. Normally I dont even charge half because I just want another pilot to fly with (IFR Rated a plus).

I'm like 7-hours away in Ottawa, Canada, but usually game for an adventure. Plus flying in general is cheap as hell in the US compared to up here. I could be game if you grab a plane and meet me halfway in Syracuse (appears to be 3 hours by car for me, maybe 90min by air for you?). I've got a Canadian CPL and American PPL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

KodiakRS posted:

This is why I could never work in ATC. My radio calls are so nonstandard that there are times when I sound like I'm talking with my buddies at the bar.

You and I both. I did a tour of our tower once and learned the procedures they use. Turns out, when the guy on Ground wants to cross traffic across smaller GA-only runway 22, he'll turn to the Tower guy and ask "prostitute?" so as not to avoid confusion with the similar sounding but much bigger 32. I may or may not have begun to read back "prostitute" with my taxi clearance after that...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

azflyboy posted:

having the student fly the airplane as much as possible (while avoiding things like steep turns early on) usually does a lot to help with the motion sickness

This is so very true. I've got ~230 hours and never really had any issues, until about two days ago. I'm working on my instructor rating and while doing the Attitudes and Movements lesson there was a rather long portion of my instructor throwing the plane around into various attitudes while explaining things and I just sat there observing. It was really the first time I've felt uneasy flying, so much so that I actually ended up asking to cut it short. Guess this is something I'll have to get used to if I'm going to sit with students who are flying the airplane!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I actually just put my Flight Instructor Rating training on hiatus last week. My RCAF selection process is finally moving again (re-Interview/Medical next Tuesday!), and based on my best guess, I could reasonably get an offer by ~August if I pass the tests and am selected. I sat down and crunched some numbers, I could spend about $6000 and finish the rating by about mid-late July. If I get an offer from the air force, I'd only get about 1-2 months of instructing out of the rating, and that just wasn't worth the money. So the hiatus will last until I hear negatively from the military, if that happens to be the case, Plan B will be relaunched and I'll finish the rating and instruct part time until I can ditch the cubicle!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Shavnir posted:

So spin entries are scary. My respect for the CFI in this thread (at least I believe that's where that maneuver comes into play) has doubled.

Spins are fun as poo poo once you understand them. I won't go entering them intentionally just for kicks or anything, but in Canada you are required to demonstrate a recovery from an instructor-induced spin during PPL training and induce one yourself an recover for CPL. Most fun I had during flight training, aside from the first solo! Respect that poo poo, don't fear it.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I'm set to go back to RCAF Pilot Selection! All of my interviews/medical/paperwork are done and now I await the email scheduling my trip to CFB Trenton for a week of flying their simulators. I botched it last time and had to get a CPL to earn this second shot, so needless to say, I can't mess this up. I should be going back late July early August. As such I've been looking for sim time and drat its gotten expensive. My flight school is $108 and $48 for a mandatory instructor + 13% tax so $176.27/hr for a loving simulator - not even a full motion one. There is a Red Bird in town that's going to come up to about $200. There has got to be a cheaper option to basically fly a pattern IFR in a 172 a thousand times. I've got a lovely FSX setup at home, but practicing in an actual twitchy-as-gently caress sim would be nice.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Lemons posted:

Holy hell, that's expensive. Where are you? At my school their sim is $77/hour including instructor. Nothing fancy, decent flight controls and the certified version of X-Plane.

Ottawa, Canada. Yeah, I seem to recall seeing sim time SOMEWHERE for like $50. That poo poo may even be worth travelling a bit for, I mean, I want to err on the side of caution and get like ~5 hours, so $1,000 is a bit much if I can find it for $250 (or $385, at $77/hr).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Shavnir posted:

So its one thing to get a plane like a dc-3 holding short for you...its altogether something else to have it happen during my first solo today.

Holy crap that was nuts.

Congrats!

One-up time (wouldn't be an aviation thread without it, no?): "Air Canada 888 Heavy, hold short runway 32 at Echo, landing Cessna 172 traffic." I come in for a long landing and have a fully laden Boeing 767 bound for Heathrow off my right wing waiting for my dumb rear end to land so they can get going. It's also my personal goal to have tower issue a hold short clearance to CANFORCE1 due to me.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

AWSEFT posted:

He burned more fuel waiting for you to land then you spent in the entire circuit around the pattern.

Likely!

MrYenko posted:

Also, if CanForces are anything like the USAF, you won't even be allowed near an airplane when super-duper-VIP aircraft are around. The security precautions they take for AF1 nowadays border on ridiculous.

They're actualy treated like any other traffic as far as ops go. I believe they flip over to UHF or something to talk to tower for security at low altitude over the city, but seem to be handled the same on Ground/TRACON/Centre. No groundstops or airspace restrictions either. Probably a bunch of behind the scenes stuffgoing on though. That being said, it was more a bad joke - us taxpayers would be footing that idle bill. Now, when AF1 comes to CYOW, good luck even driving to the airport.

Animal posted:

Wanna look like a classy aviation stud to everyone on frequency?

Agreed, and I would have but was already on very short final with an issued landing clearance, and hadn't been watching the taxiway since we land super long on 32 as the FBO is at the 14 end of the 10k' runway. Fastest way out of his way was to put it down quick and near a taxiway and GTFO of his way on the ground.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

"Breaking news: Latest inquiries have found that all four pilots were literally playing cards while operating a hacksaw on the nosegear for the duration of the flight and buzzed the tower for no less than three times before turning short final and landing on the nosewheel, cartwheeling TEN times before coming to a rest on its tail. Authorities at this time are putting the probable cause as mechanical failure." - Something that I wouldn't be surprised to hear on the news given the mainstream news understanding of aviation reporting... given KTVUs gaff

Korean "news" channel displays bogus American pilot names in regards to the Southwest plane crash at LaGuardia yesterday.

http://imgur.com/lyTERBV

Desi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 23, 2013

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hello! Canadian study pilot checking in. I just started at Algonquin's pilot program. Any one on here taken this course/route? I get to fly Da-20 Katanas, and on Tuesday is my P-STAR exam, so if anyone has tips, or advice, I'd appreciate it.

I did my PPL/CPL with OAS, albeit not through the 'gonq. I'm part of the way through an instructor rating but put it on hiatus while waiting to hear definitively from the RCAF about joining up. Great school, great planes, great airport, great instructors/people. The downside I found was that it was going a bit pilot-mill-y in that it's next to impossible to get a nice long chunk of time to actually go fly anywhere and they micromanage every aspect of your flight, even as a renter acting as PIC. I need to swing by and say hey again one of these days. The PSTAR is cake as all the questions are online, study up and you'll ace this thing. Check out the definitive source for PSTAR study - http://www.flyingstart.ca/FlightTraining/PSTAR/PSTARIndex.htm

fordan posted:

Kinda confused about what you'd actually train in a sim for a new student pilot. I could see it for teaching how to do radio navigation, maybe radio calls with the instructor playing ATC, maybe things like spin recovery or emergency procedures, but most of the stuff would be much better learned up in the air. And new pilot should be learning straight & level flight before how to tune in a VOR I'd think.

I'm actually rather conflicted with the sim for new students. It's got its merits in the particular case this student is talking about, CYOW is a busy controlled airport and there is some merit to teaching things like radio work, ground navigation (taxiing), systems/checklists, and other tedious no-need-for-an-engine things without burning expensive dead dinosaurs. However the sim at OAS is rather expensive and for that cash, personally, I'd just rather throw the extra $30 and go do it in a real plane. Furthermore, they are pushing way to far into the curriculum on that sim. Plus the Mechtronix sim is poo poo, flies nothing like an actual plane as its absurdly sensitive. I was a student before they went full "professional pilot program" and still operated as a bit more of a bespoke flight school, so I jumped into a cockpit right away, so who knows, maybe there's something I'm missing.

Desi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 20, 2013

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was doign circuits for the first time today. Did great on the 400AGL check, the downwind check, the radio calls. Somehow kept loving up the crosswind to downwind turn. Like, I'd climb 200feet, or overturn by a huge heading, or something. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me today (I did land really well in a crosswind however)

Circuits on 22 or 04? I totally get where you're messing up that turn if its on 22, you got to remember that turn over the river to keep you out of south-field's approach, and that stupid noise abatement procedure that keeps you south of the houses along Merivale make it so you really don't have that big of a turn to make Crosswind->Downwind. You'll get it with practice. Also, who's your instructor? I've flown with most of the people there, initials should be fine for me to get it.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am ready to murder the assholes who fly in the Ottawa Practice Area. Dear Floatplane, if you say you are going to take off a lake in the Practice Area, when I respond with "I'm over Luxville, at 3000 feet. I'll stay on this side of the river until you take off" (with my call sign of course) it's rude to not respond, even when we call you a couple more times asking if you read.

Furthermore, Dear Twin Engine plane. If you are flying literally 1000 feet under us, next time, could you please call on the practice area frequency before you fly in to it, or at least when you see us, so that I don't need to cancel my immediate descent when I spot you flying directly under me. (I did a HASEL check before I started my descent even. No clue where the gently caress he came from!)

Welcome to the Ottawa Practice Area, where the rules are made up and the frequencies don't matter. I remember getting worked up when we had a close call in the practice area early in my flight training. Some idiot was transiting the area and not on frequency at all. Here's the thing - they don't have to be. It's a drat good idea, but people tend to be stupid sometimes. Keep you head on a swivel and over time you'll develop great situational awareness. Also you'll learn that god damned float plane off Constance Lake doesn't give a drat about you or anyone else for that matter.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

helno posted:

The practice area doesn't show up on the VNC's so how would someone from out of town know what frequency to be on?

If you are not headed to the big airport you head right through the practice area on the way to Rocliffe or Gatineau.

Wait till you guys go to your first fly-in at an uncontrolled airport.

Hence why I mentioned they didn't have to be on frequency - the practice area is only marked on VTAs and even then is considered a common advisory frequency only, it's uncontrolled in every sense of the term. That being said, the idea of a major fly-in at an uncontrolled field sketches me right out, having trained within the bubble of CYOW.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, yesterday, I had really bad ATC. For reference my call sign was Foxtrot Foxtrot Lima Uniform. The only other person in teh circuit was Foxtrot Whiskey Charlie November (I think, I may be slightly wrong on that.)We called in our downwind check, and got clearance for a touch and go, 1st in circuti. ATC started calling for Victor Zulu Juliet. He called 4 times, and then angrily declared "Katana about to do a touch and go, you have not requested clearance, and I've called you 4 times now!". We asked if he was talking about us, and he angrily told us he would be reporting us for not responding. The hell?

Eh, you haven't been CADORS'd yet. I wouldn't worry about it if you are sure you were in the right. Everything on the tower frequency is recorded by NAVCANADA. North-Tower gets grumpy sometimes, it happens, everyone has a bad day from time to time and dealing with non-stop student traffic has to take a toll...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I like the Canadian system for flight plans a LOT better than the American one. You don't have to "open" your FP, it's opened automatically at your departure time. If you depart a towered airport, tower will amend your departure time to the minute you actually departed. When you land at a towered airport, Ground will close your flight plan for you nine-times-out-of-ten without you even asking and will just tell you so when giving you taxi instructions. If not you can "fast-close" one by phone. Virtually every controller along the way has the ability to modify it as well, so if you need to modify it you can just ask anyone along the way - they don't technically have to do it for you, but I've never had it denied when asking politely.

Flight Plans, or a Flight Itinerary left with a "responsible person," are also mandatory any time you go more than 25nm from where you departed, which is pretty much every flight except flight training.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love side slipping in it. I find that sometimes I get really bad winds on my approach on 22, so I kinda have to slip to maintain my centreline. And by that I mean I am horrible at centreline control so far.

Is FLU's rigging all hosed up still or did they fix it? Flying all the way from CYOW-CYTZ and back with the right rudder jammed in sucked hard. DIB was the badass DA20 when I last flew, but it was by far the heaviest so you'd have to play with fuel loads to remain under MTOW.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I may be stupid, but I'm not actually that stupid. I was just loving around on my cx2.

Some jackass did try to fly on a ridiculous day like that a year or so back and totaled -GAIC, now we all have to do those stupid Ops Flight Plans to prove we're not retarded. That guy was extra special in that he had two other ginormous and into-the-wind runways but, I guess, he wanted to save a bit of taxi time?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dare I ask which runway he took off on? Also, is GAIC the Cessna I see that's missing it's tail and the stump is wrapped in a garbage bag on my taxis?

EDIT: googled it. Holy poo poo, that's why I filed the Ops flight plan? Well, I can't bemoan it too much cause those skills helped me on the TC exam.

I do believe its the tarped over Katana fuselage sitting behind the hangar, visible from the parking lot. Yeah, I just looked up the CADORS report - Runway 22 with 350 at 15kt gusting 21. Not absurd, but poo poo man, go land 32 given you have the option.

The Ops plan is annoying as poo poo once you know what you're doing - on a CAVOK day with calm winds, solo, full tanks, and a planned 1 hour flight in a 172 you want me to sit here calculating god drat crosswind components that come up to <1kt and landing weight/distances? I actually am a work-smarter-not-harder fan so I made up a version in Google Docs that lets me just plug in a couple of values on my phone and spits out all the data I can just write onto the form. Promise not to tell the instructors and hook me up with your email and I'll shoot you a copy.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Sent. Editing out your email now is probably a good idea - don't want that picked up by spam-bots!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So at 1251 on the ramp I was ambushed by my instructor, ramp crew and dispatch with buckets of slushy water in -20c weather.

I am so glad I didn't crash before.

Right on, congrats man. That thing must have felt like a rocket today in this cold without 160lbs of instructor in the right seat!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, who wants to watch me get soaked? It was -20c out which is -4f to you yanks.

I never knew I could swear that much, nor that frequently. Not seen, the chunk of slush that went right in my ear. (One bucket was, no poo poo, 70% slush)

I watch that, see you in short sleeves, and immediately my mind goes to LC (the ACFI) yelling "YOU'RE NOT DRESSED FOR WINTER OPS!"

In other news, I went flying yesterday for the first time since March. 22019G24KT if I remmber right and runway 22. So right down the pipe, but bumpy and messy as poo poo. Bonus was the snow blowing across the runway, good times and certainly a trial-by-fire to get back into the groove of things. I bit sporty, but I attribute that to my absence for so long and it only being my like 4-5th flight over all from the right seat. Getting right back into PGIs though, doing a the spin brief tonight.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

The Ferret King posted:

What is LC ACFI? What is PGI?

LC is the dude's initials, didn't want to put his name online - sorry for the confusion, I am at the same flight school as him and was referring to a particular guy who happens to be the ACFI. An ACFI is the Assistant Chief Flight Instructor, second to the Chief Flight Instructor. Let me break it down Canadian style to explain. In the US, a CFI is a Certificated Flight Instructor and that is that. In Canada, we break it down into four categories of instructors, Class I, II, III and IV. A rookie instructor will be a Class IV and must be supervised by a Class I or II; a Class III instructor does not need to be supervised. A Class II instructor can supervise Class IVs and will have the title of ACFI or Assistant Chief Flight Instructor; a Class I can teach new flight instructors for their rating and will be titled CFI (Chief Flight Instructor - typically, my school has multiple Class I's style ACFI). You advance through the ranks based on your student pass rate and a few stages have exams in between.

Now a PGI is the same in Canada/US - Preparatory Ground Instruction. Its the ground briefing an instructor gives prior to the flight. Pretty much the bane of any instructor-in-training's existence and the bulk of the work for the rating. Its basically giving a 30-60min briefing on every exercise there is to show you know all the material, and which is then shortened for actual use when teaching based on the situation and knowledge of the student. I'm working on my PGI covering spins that I'll be presenting to my Class I tonight.

As an aside, I don't think you Americans have to do spins for PPL training, do you?

Desi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrYenko posted:

Arguing about spin training during your PPL training is a lot like talking about the politics of late term abortion when both parents are gay/lesbians, with your extended family. Nothing gets accomplished, and everyone gets mad.

Yeah, in hindsight I don't see this going anywhere productive lets just nip this right now short of saying spins are fun as poo poo.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man spins were fun. Speaking off , instructor MH was the one yelling "no running on the ramp" and acfi CW told me to take off my jacket.

Yeah, I was lucky in that it was a sunny May day for mine. There is a badass perfect-timing picture of me standing there with water mid flight kicking around somewhere, possibly on the big wall of pictures.

Desi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 29, 2014

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Double post

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus. THank god I don't fly a plane with a door.

DA20 is worse - the canopy would be a spectacular speedbrake.

Also, I heard you getting chewed out for being late. That was pretty funny. I was fighting the urge to walk over and be like "cut him some lack, bro."

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Co-pilot went off the rocker - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ethiopian-airlines-hijacker-threatened-to-crash-plane-passenger-says-1.2539920

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

I have to wonder, what's the TSA's reaction to this going to be?

I was thinking about this, could say a fingerprint scanner on the outside of the cockpit door to open it or something be feasible? Have all flight-deck crew as part of preflight checklists clear and program it with theirs. Button to add a print on the inside, button to clear somewhere outside. Likely situation, the co-pilot wouldn't have tried it knowing the Captain could get back in. Less likely but more "fun" situation, the locked out Captain could round up posse of rag-tag misfits and retake the cockpit - by any means neccisary.

I mean, a situation like this is so rare that it probably doesn't warrant the cost, but its a possible solution. Then again, there was that time a JetBlue pilot went nutty and had to be locked out intentionally...

e.pilot posted:

PHYSICALLY SEPARATE COCKPITS

Please, that may actually work. We're talking about the TSA. BAN ALL THE PILOTS!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I call this, Ottawa at 2000 ASL at 7 in the goddamned morning.

(I did a crosscountry to Pembroke. Wheels up at 6am. This is going to be my life now isn't it)

Oh Ottawa, cubicles and suburbia! Cubicles and suburbia as far as the eye can see! You can even see the boring civil service cube I'm trying to leave behind off near the horizon.

On a related note, flight instructor written exam at 0930 tomorrow. I should be studying but, you know, distractions... :airquote:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Desi posted:

On a related note, flight instructor written exam at 0930 tomorrow. I should be studying but, you know, distractions... :airquote:

Passed - 75%; 70 is a pass up here. Good enough for me. Next step is the flight test, maybe in a week or two.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Slightly different regs here that make my solution a bit more workable, but I've intentionally held off on my MEL and IFR ratings and gone Instructor first. The way I see it is that the decision to hire me by a school will ultimately be a business decision on their part, and I can leverage the fact that I will do these ratings at whatever school hires me in the job market. I'm anticipating I'll start working at the school where I train right now without having to play this card, so I'll modify my strategy and say that I'll do the MIFR when I upgrade to a Class III instructor (100hrs dual given, 3 flight tests passed).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I was supposed to have my instructor rating flight test today. Oral booked for 10am and flight for 11:30am, at 8:30am the weather still looks like poo poo outside and the TAF showing that it won't get any better than 300' vertical vis. Talk to the examiner and we decide its pointless so it gets cancelled. 10am rolls around and the sky parts open and we've got 6000' ceilings and the newest TAF says it'll hold through to 4pm. God damnit. As an added gently caress you, the weather looks like crap tomorrow (its snowing, what the hell YOW?) and I leave for like 10 days Wednesday morning. So I guess I'm doing my flight test on ~24th now?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Another drat instructor rating flight test cancelled for weather. Next availability the examiner has is a week from now. This is getting kindof stupid, I was initially recommended coming up on 3 weeks ago. I do get to do the worlds most pointless flight to meet the examiner though - a whopping 8nm. I'm kindof looking forward to flying from the left seat again, even if it for a whopping 3 minutes.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really hope it wasn't in FFLU......

I heard about the engine fire on it today. No, thankfully I've been flying the Grobs for a bit now. Everyone was kindof tight-lipped about the whole thing so I just looked up the CADORS report:

CADORS posted:

After landing on runway 22, an Ottawa Aviation Services Inc. Diamond DA 20-A1 (C-FFLU) on a local flight advised the Ottawa, ON (CYOW) tower that smoke was coming from the engine compartment. The aircraft stopped on taxiway PAPA. Emergency services arrived. Runway 04/22 and taxiway PAPA were closed until 1916Z. Impact on general aviation.

Interesting. I wonder how bad the damage is?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Who's a Class 4 Flight Instructor? This Guy! The weather, examiner's schedule, and my schedule all finally came together long enough for me to get this flight test done. Now to find a school here that will take me on quasi-part time. I'll likely be able to talk my school into it - it'd be a no-brainer for them, I'll be bringing in 2 (potentially 4) of my own students to start!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So yesterday I got hired on as a flight instructor with the school I did all my training at. The ominously titled 'Indoctrination' training starts this afternoon!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh boy! Best of luck with that man!

Thanks! Day one completed, gotta love bureaucracy. I've still got a hilariously large amount of reading to complete, but its coming along. You'll probably see my name start popping up on things at the school slowly over the course of the week (myfbo, the pos, boards, etc) and I'm hoping to start doing flights by Saturday!

KodiakRS posted:

It's less scary if you just call it Indoc. Also congrats on getting a paid flying gig! ( unless you've already had one before)

Thanks! Indeed it is my first paid flying gig. I'll be doing it quasi-part time while I maintain my boring-as-poo poo day job. I'll try and juggle both as long as possible and eventually take a sabbatical or something to whehn its time to transition from the joint OfficeDrone/FlightInstructor combo to an entry level non-instructor gig.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
This is weird, there are at least 3 OAS people in this thread and at least 3 others on Reddit. I'm an instructor there now. I'm watching. Govern yourselves accordingly ;)

In other news, I did my first revenue flight on the weekend (actually while these other two were out guys in this thread were out too). helno, I was up in the Cessna in the practice area while you guys were flying aeros. It was cool, an intro/sightseeing flight so I didn't have to be super concerned with the lessons being taught. Nice way of easing into it I think. I've got my first actual instructional flight this evening (Intro; Attitudes & Movements), provided some forecast storms hold off a bit!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Just saw that, apparently Algonquin is laying down the law. On the plus side, the weather is probably going to be relatively stable around here until September. On the down side, 80 hours, that's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Man, its like Severe-VFR right now. Throw a dart at map and go somewhere! Get off the forums ;)

• Locked thread