Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Be safe too. I'm legit concerned about that one. Please don't hesitate to verify a clearance.

gently caress, don't EVER hesitate to verify if you aren't sure about a clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Sometimes ATC gets that annoyed tone and I hate it because that's negative reinforcement, I don't give a gently caress they will violate me if i deviate so I always verify it anyway.

Remember, if the pilot deviation results in an accident, the controller may end up in court, but he still gets to go home that afternoon. The pilot gets dead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Remember that if the point of collision is directly over the control tower/radar facility, ATC could die too.

MrYenko I hope you're doing well in OKC, I'm bummed that you don't talk in IRC ever. We even did a big topic tribute for you the day you announced you got hired. Where's the love?

If it makes you feel better, I haven't been talking in ANY of the IRC channels I lurk... I've mostly been trying to socialize with my coworkers, and take advantage of the forced proximity of people that actually share my interests.

As to work itself, I was an off the street hire, so I had a month of snooze-fest basics, and only started Enroute initial last Monday. Even this first week of initial has mostly been review, and speaking clearances from the other end, so to speak. I'm just trying to stay on my toes, for that moment when it very suddenly stops being review.

New things I've learned so far, while at the academy:

A: It's apparently possible for water to freeze outside.
B: A bar with live bullriding and quarter beers is a real thing.
C: Bioshock Infinite is awesome.

:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Just remember to play their little game the way they tell you to play it and you'll be fine. What center are you going to?

If they say the sky is purple, that motherfucker is not just going to be purple, it is going to be the most magnificent shade of Royal Purple the world has ever loving known.

ZMA/Mijami. Me and one girl going to Minneapolis are the only ones in my initial class going home, everyone else is a transplant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

To celebrate the new thread, I give you something I found lurking in my photos of DC-10 days of old. This was our official (FAA approved) procedure for dealing with a fire stemming from the STCed Electronic Flight Bags we installed in our DC-10s just before the company went tits-up. The "heat resistant glove" mentioned in step four was essentially a commercial kitchen oven mitt (only one of them, not a full pair; we had a whole six airplanes to outfit here, and have to cut costs SOMEWHERE,) but pay particular attention to step number five...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Who are your instructors? I'd be surprised if any I knew are still out there. Although, Pedro is a legend.

Pedro is still here, teaching a class of the opposite shift from us. He taught one lesson for us, last week, when one of our instructors banged in. Our lead is Roger Halswell (I think thats his last name,) but we've had almost literally every classroom instructor in and out of our class at some point of another. I enjoyed Cal Mann and Dave Skidmore probably the most.

Just finished the map test. Rote memorization FTW.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My dad learned to fly at Cross Keys, and I've flown out of there a few times. Nice little airport. I don't think Lewis Flying Service is still there though... :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Definitely this. I've told anyone that's asked about a CTI school to go to the one that costs the least amount of money. Nothing like blowing 6 figures on an ERAU degree only to fail out of the academy in OKC.

Or not get selected at all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

So where would I go if I wanted to learn about how to work on aircraft?

Here.

Slightly less sarcastically (only slightly,) look around your general area for a community college with a vocational program. Part 147 training is generally offered as part of an A.A.S degree, and takes roughly four semesters, depending on your previous college coursework.

Do NOT give Embry Riddle or some other big name university $75,000 for an A&P and a nearly-worthless degree. Experience and good references are everything in aviation maintenance. Those big-university graduates are just as clueless as you will be when you finish, but are also in debt. For reference, it cost me ~$6000 at my local community college, plus the going rate for the two O&P exams (Oral and Practical, the maintenance equivalent of a checkride,) back in 2004-05. (The O&Ps were $500 each, IIRC)

Think long and hard on it, though; You're not going to get rich as a mechanic, the hours suck, there's a solid chance you'll be a "Full time contractor" so that your sleazy employer doesn't have to pay taxes on you, you WILL move around to follow work, you WILL end up in the rear end end of nowhere as a flight mechanic with nothing but a belt loader and a leatherman, trying to get the airplane legal to fly out of whatever shithole you're stuck in, and you WILL get laid off, probably more than once in your career. That said, they paid me a rather decent wage to play with great big jets every night...

:smuggo:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An Idiot posted this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ethanol posted:

How much of the day do you spend looking at a manual wondering what the gently caress?

Almost none. You spend most of the day looking at your supervisor and asking why the gently caress they won't let you/buy the equipment required to allow you to do it like the manufacturer says you should.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ferris Bueller posted:

When I was an instructor on WMUs Extra 300Ls we would use an overhead because to slow to pattern speed in that thing ment you basically lost 45 degrees of forward vision and would still overtake a C172 or other GA single. Also financially for the student it helped them out because we could dive back in from the practice area at near red line hit the IP fast and from IP to touchdown wouldn't be for then 3 minutes versus plodding in a wide pattern at $280(back in 2005) an hour. Also couple in the supremely horrible glide ratio of anything with a thick symmetrical airfoil it's much safer.

Extras are a lot more similar to military aircraft in performance and general characteristics than they are to most GA aircraft...

Also, I want your (old) job. That sounds like a loving blast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Yeah, isn't the cost of living in Houston not that bad also?

But yeah, all depends on facility level. There ARE towers in the 10/11/12 range. I'd prefer to be working in one of those, but hey, none that pay this well where I want to be. :P

Last I heard, the level 9/10/11/12 terminal facilities weren't taking new hires, anyway, just CPC transfers from lower-level towers. Apparently their washout rate on new hires was astronomical.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've used DC headsets of both the pilot and ground support varieties (the kind with the mouth cup for the microphone,) and I can echo their utter indestructability in just about any environment imaginable. Not the most comfortable, not the quietest, (there is something to be said for still being able to hear the airplane, though,) but far and away the longest lasting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slight simplification of the rules: Standard radar separation in the US is five (nautical) miles horizontal, or 1,000 feet vertical. Most countries model their aviation rulebook on the US FAA, so that probably works most places. The "above" part in your statement is the giveaway that there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

So, furloughs start tomorrow. Be safe, try and take it easy on the controllers if poo poo does hit the fan. If you pilots have any issues, there should be a number to call that you can ask for. I know en route centers are going to have one and I can only assume that approach controls will have one as well.

Answering that line is going to be a poo poo duty...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For those that haven't heard: http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-calls-effort-end-airport-delays-good-140534158.html

Cliffs Notes: Congress passed (and Obama apparently intends to sign) a resolution allowing the FAA to rob Peter to pay Paul. Paul is/are controllers, Peter is an as-yet undecided entity that has $250m laying around.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

Please let it be the TSA.

God I loving wish.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

My first reaction is that you're a monster, but apparently LIDAR can be used for things other than giving people speeding tickets...

What exactly would you be using the LIDAR for?

Domestic drone strike targeting, obviously.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'd like to know what the training's like, what the work's like, and whether there are any job prospects whatsoever.

I'm at the academy for enroute initial currently, so any specific questions you have, I'll do my best to answer, but the others have covered the majority of the basics, already. The academy is currently closed (I'm in the very last enroute initial class :smuggo: ) and there is no solid information on when it will reopen. There's going to be a LOT of CTI grads with diplomas and no job prospects, if it stays closed until October. (End of the current fiscal year.)

In other news, non-radar evals are on Friday. I require a live goat, three chickens, and a twenty one year old virgin for the sacrifice to the crossing-restriction gods. I accept paypal. (Goatpal?)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

edit: I fly out of an Air Force Base through their Aero Club, and tower LOVES putting us on 7-mile straight-ins. A 7-mile final in a C-172 takes a long, boring time.

One of my instructors out here has a story about the Goodyear blimp asking for, and getting, a GCA from a military base out west. He tried to come up with a valid reason not to approve it, but couldn't, so he got to spend the next forty-five minutes giving GCA commands to an aircraft doing maybe 25kts over the ground. He finally called it off when the blimp was over the outer marker, because he had inbound military traffic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

Fire.

Really cool. KC-135? When you get out you can do some contract work for John Travolta.

Screw Travolta.

http://n88zl.com

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You're not going fo crash a modern airliner with a single shot from a pistol. Full stop, end of sentence. Youre not going to get a depressurization, either, before anyone jumps to that.

You're not going to bring down an airliner with anything less than several ~20mm cannon rounds, and even then, I'd only give you even odds of success; Airliners have incredibly redundant systems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

I think this could be done, but to what end? People would scream, the masks would fall from the ceiling, and the pilots would dive to below 10,000 or whatever level they're trained to dive to in that scenario. Oh, and everyone aboard would get free round trip tickets for the trouble.

No, no it couldn't. You could go rock-and-roll-mag-dump on the skin of an airliner, and not cause more than a slight burp in cabin pressure, as long as you don't concentrate your fire in a small, structurally critical area and cause a larger rupture (Again, not going to happen.) With a single, or multiple simple penetrations of the pressure vessel, the outflow valve would snap closed, or probably just closer to closed, and pressure would stay exactly where it was.

It takes a rather significant hole to lose pressurization.

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand I guess if you somehow damaged the pitot static system with your gun there might be some issues?

There are multiple pitot systems, and multiple static systems. There is generally a primary and a backup air data computer.

You. Are. Not. Going. To. Cause. A. Crash. With. A. Non-Crew-Served. Weapon.

Your only hope with this kind of strategy is to incapacitate or otherwise compromise the guys up front with the big windows.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Tell that to the passengers of AF447.

AF447 worked perfectly. The aircraft was perfectly flyable, all the way to impact. The flight crew misinterpreted the data they still had, and then stalled the aircraft for 37,000 feet, because of a faulty training program.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Just worked radar for the first time! One hell of an adrenaline rush even though nothing was really going on.

I just fat-fingered a flight plan for a Bonanza, and suddenly, there was a B-36 cruising the skies of virtual central Mississippi, again...

For a few seconds, anyway. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't there still considerable debate as to whether or not these 3D-printed guns even work reliably? I mean, we've seen one demonstrated once - who's to say that it wasn't an outlier in terms of reliability?

Give me a single-shot disposable pistol, and something better is now as close as the nearest jack-booted thug with a real gun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If my experiences with TSA, both as a passenger, and as an airport employee are any indication, you could probably sneak a goddamned Solothurn through security, anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FFDO is sadly too radical an idea to be taken seriously by one side of the aisle, and a few steps from being the antichrist to people on the other side, so it was doomed from inception.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

I have a sudden and short notice chance to take a free ride from Graz to Amsterdam in a Piper Meridian with my friend. I'm incredibly tempted.

Why have you not said yes, yet?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

After the events in Moore, this afternoon, it has become clear to me why the FAA put the Academy in Oklahoma City. Anyone who comes here that doesn't have a healthy respect for the power of a thunderstorm, will sure as gently caress have it when they leave.

I'm accustomed to Florida's nearly omnipresent summer thunderstorm line, but it ain't got poo poo on what this hellhole can throw together in less than an hour. :stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

atehist posted:

King Air B200 PPC passed. Now I get to experience the isolation that comes with high arctic NDB to NDB flying. :toot:

Respectfully requesting an effortpost after you've been on the line awhile. Arctic operations are really loving cool.

:laugh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Brushing up on my VFR Sectional Chart Skills.

Anybody ever seen one of these on their chart? I'm not having luck finding one.

Look in a 50nm radius of any Air Force Base with a stationed USAF C-130 unit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We just got power back where I'm staying. The MMAC lost power around 7:00pm local last night, and we never got it back. Was running a radar problem when it died, and apparently, they thought to put everything on the backup generator circuit, EXCEPT the radar lab VSCS servers, because they died within five minutes of losing power. (Must be on batteries only.)

My position relief briefing included: "Equipment status: We don't have any frequencies; I don't know why you're sitting down to relieve me, there's nobody for you to talk to."

Another of my fellow classmates got bonus points for calling a supervisor when then we went dark. :mmmhmm:

Also, the enroute search radar in the parking lot across from the Stafford building is no longer intact. The collector dish is gone, all that's left is the arm holding the feedhorn. :stonk:
We had to cross three washed out roads to get home, and dodge downed power lines four or five times. It was good times.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

So uh, do you still have semaphore flags?

We briefly debated posting the remote pilots in the hallway and yelling, before we decided to go play ATC hangman until the supervisor let us go home.

We did discover, however, that although the VSCS is not on the protected circuit, the coffee makers in the breakout rooms ARE. loving priorities.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That video is nearly a decade old. They're a little late to the party.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

I've seen a few flight instructor jobs pop up in FL over the last few months, but I'm guessing you're looking for something slight better than "flying piston single with foreign student trying to kill me".

Florida flight schools also prefer you to check the box for "Willing to live in my own car, which will be parked at the FBO, and take all the students flying at the rear end-crack weird times of day."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I walked into the radar lab today, and after everything was said and done, I had three (almost completely) clean training evaluation sheets, for problems 12 Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. The instructors got me on a few minor phraseology errors, mostly regarding giving exact positions rather than just a cardinal direction from a fix during coordination. I also said "Copy all," after taking a manual flight plan, instead of "roger." I'll take that. :colbert:

12 Golf, Hotel, and India await us tomorrow, followed by evals on Wednesday and Thursday. Hotel and India are supposedly designed to be real ball-kickers. We shall see.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Liar of the Shire posted:

I went through ATC Academy 3 years ago and I don't know what he said.

Yenko are you enroute or tower? I know they changed they way the evaluate pretty significantly since I was there. I do remeber the final evals being more stressful then any college exam I ever took by a wide margin.

Enroute. Its a series of three graded radar problems, now. Each of the graded radar evals are 22% of your grade. The two non-radar evals were each 7% of your grade, and there was a couple of knowledge and map tests scattered in to fill in the remainder. You need a 70% class average to graduate.

Bottom line: I need a 58% average across the three radar evals to pass, or an 89% average across the first two to exempt myself from the third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I choked a bit on the first problem, yesterday, and wound up with a 74%, and a 92%, yesterday.

I need an 11% today, to graduate. :black101:

• Locked thread