Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Just don't say "With you" or "REQUESTING TRAFFIC ADVISORIES" or "the active" (at an uncontrolled airport) and we'll be all cool together

edit: "got him on the box" "got him on the fish finder"
and my coworkers who say "got him on the TCAS" (we don't HAVE tcas, we have TIS, it's NOT the same thing, and STOP LOOKING AT IT AND LOOK OUTSIDE THAT DATA IS OLD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, most of our planes have TIS-A with the garmin GTX 330. It's better than nothing, as long as you keep your eyes outside and use it to just help you acquire the traffic. It has major limitations and I cringe every time I hear somebody even mention it on the radio as a "TCAS"

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I'm glad to hear that. I just work with a few people that say when they were first learning to fly they were hesitant to verify a clearance in fear of seeming stupid. Stupid, or dead? Tough choice!

Sometimes ATC gets that annoyed tone and I hate it because that's negative reinforcement, I don't give a gently caress they will violate me if i deviate so I always verify it anyway.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'd say it depends on the airport and local customs. When you have several airplanes doing the instrument approach, a positive relative to a fix can be good. There's an entire 3 page document of procedures for the "stack" at KCGZ (that place is a deathtrap but unfortunately I'm there all the time), but yeah. I mean, I keep hearing VFR checkpoints described that aren't on the sectional or any of the local handouts (arizona has basically a dedicated website), and when I inquire "traffic at *obscure local reference* can you tell me where *some obscure local reference is", I get met with silence.
Anyway today was a 13 hour day, why I am still reading about aviation god somebody help this sickness I have.

Regarding expressjet, I don't have the mins.. YET. I know a lot of people there though already, but a random internet stranger can't hurt!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Don't ride a domestic carrier, ride somebody international.

Edit: KLM, short layover in AMS, then KLM the rest of the way

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 4, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It is true, they mentioned during the interview that Goodyear is being slowly phased out, although that was decided before sequester even hit as far as I know. They're just moving all their ops to Falcon Field is what they said.

They have some really nice diamonds at KFFZ, I flew one during my interview there, but I decided a 12 month training contract for 8k was a bad bad thing to sign. CAE called me yesterday and I need to call back and I don't know the diplomatic way to not burn the bridge in case something happens with current employer, but also tell them that nobody signs a training contract for a CFI job. To me training contract = type rating or something special that actually can advance your career and you're getting something valuable. An "authorization to teach JAA students" is... not worth anything.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 4, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://www.comm1.com/home.html Not sure how good it is, but this does exist

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Well, sometimes you do have to spell the fixes for the controllers. Especially if it's far away.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdH4zvO9Oo all i can think of is this video now with apollo glaring "give me the controls". it's even in a cirrus

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
What is your ultimate career goal? I'm not sure how more school is going to help you.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Just out of curiosity, where's the most money in ATC, working at a TRACON or a center? Is it just the centers that are deep underground bunkers or is that the TRACON too?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
State your intentions...

With aviation, that is.
I'd probably stick with loaner headsets until you're sure you're going to continue, and then it's a matter of how much you're going to be flying and what your budget is. I think if I were buying my first headset at this point, I'd go for a uflymic and a used qc15 off ebay, or a clarity aloft. But that's a big investment if you're just starting out. Nobody keeps their first headset, really. In fact, you may be able to get a used one from somebody upgrading to an A20/Zulu/Sierra or something at a nice discount. I know 10 people are going to come in here with david clark's and disagree with me, but they are the (vocal) minority. The nice thing about the more expensive headsets is they hold value really really well, so if it doesn't work out, you can get out of them pretty easily.

When I was first starting out, I had a Victor1 w/ ANR from tinaspilotshop.com, and it served me fairly well, it's a rebranded lightspeed older model. It was way ahead of most of the david clark's I've tried.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah that's why I asked what he's up to. If he's just going to poke around and do it as a hobby I wouldn't recommend a really expensive headset necessarily. If you're going to spend $400 I'd try and pick up a used lightspeed sierra or maybe consider a uflymic(haven't tried it but people i've spoken to are pretty happy with it). if you want to spend $290, i'd get that lightspeed rebranded victor 1. for $200, I dunno. I found the david clark's to be uncomfortable and really quite loud, although I haven't tried their higher end stuff.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
With DCs seems you either love em or hate em. Idk, sounds like Ferretking and I both had the same opinion, and KodiakRS likes them, so take that for what it's worth.
Ferretking, the zulus are really light and comfortable even after 8 hours of flying. The sierra is pretty good too but a little heavier and you can notice the weight difference.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
PFM of course!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Whelp, got an interview for an aerial LIDAR gig in a C206 on the 2nd. Here's hoping. I need to do an approach in the sim on the interview, and I'm a little terrified because it's a Redbird non-motion and I've never used one before but I hear they're extremely twitchy. Anybody know? I wish I could find a redbird near here I could hop on for 20 minutes and just get used to.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

MrYenko posted:

Domestic drone strike targeting, obviously.

It's aerial surveying with lidar but maybe a few speeding tickets and drone strikes on Apollo if I'm in Texas

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I gave my 2 weeks notice today, moving to San Jose (well, somewhere in the bay area at least) to fly Cessna 206s for an aerial survey operator. Woot!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I think I know someone that flies for them currently. I always get jealous when I look on Facebook. What kind of minimums do they require?

Their mins:
Commercial Pilot Single Engine Land
• CFI preferred
• 20hrs in type preferred
• Total Time: Prefer 800hrs (500 min)
• PIC: 400hrs
• Instrument (actual or simulated): 50hrs (Must be Instrument current and proficient)
• Hours last 12 months: 120hrs
• G1000 experience preferred
• Current First Class Medical
• Pilots must live within 2hrs drive time of San Jose or be willing to re-locate
• Must sign 6 month commitment

They hired me with 920TT, I meet about everything except for G1000 and the time in type.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Butt Reactor: they will be hiring for another class in 2-3 months. As for US aviation/that other one you mentioned.. I don't know much about US aviation but as for the phoenix one, I would say no, don't go. It's not a good time which is why I need a change. The students are, as was so aptly put by I think somebody here, communist muppets that can't make an aeronautical decision to save their life... And they all have dragon breath so bad it'll make you want to vomit.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Plenty go up to about 250 feet. I wouldn't really worry that they would cause you any harm, it would be more the distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnrVNjuEXo

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
How in the hell

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
All done with sim and ground training, next week will be a whole week of flying the 206 :) wee

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I am enjoying my new job although there is a lot of time sitting around in the hotel, so if I can find a way to make the best of it (work out, play video games) I think I will be really drat happy here. I've got maybe 6 hours in the C206 now, did a bunch of landings and approaches today, it is the most nose heavy airplane I have ever flown but it isn't too tough to land nicely, you just have to flare it until your arms feel like they're going to fall off and they're in terrible pain. Some guys use the electric trim in the flare I guess and put it all the way back but that worries me in case you need to go around that you'd be at risk of trim stalling it unless you push forward really hard. I'd rather just muscle it. As a side note, I really don't like electric trim, but my trainer is forcing me to use it because it's new and I need to be proficient in everything in the airplane, and I guess he thinks the more I use it the more I'll get used to it. I don't like it because I don't know how much it's moving the trim wheel and I feel really "disconnected" from the trim and find it tough to get just the right setting. Grasping the trim wheel is so tangible and you can make such fine corrections. Also, developing a scan for glass is taking a bit of time although my approaches were OK but at times I'd be +-120 ft or so on altitude because I was messing with a checklist or something.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
New job is aerial photography and it's not indefinitely in hotels but I am going to spend a lot of time in hotels. Since we do have some travelers here, can anybody suggest a mobile data plan that's okay for gaming and also has no cap? I hear great things about Verizon, but 5gb/10gb data cap is.. no bueno. What about Clear? I guess it's sprint wimax?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Bingo :P

edit: also, where did you come across that picture?

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Trying to relocate a plane on the east coast this week is stupid. You have a window between 10am when the morning poo poo burns off and 1pm when it gets all crazy convective.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Was in Richmond, VA, made it as far as Parkersburg, WV (Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport KPKB say WHAT!!) before poo poo got all crazy convective and we had to land. Trying to get to Appleton, WI, not in any hurry though, it'll take however long it ends up taking. Probably going for KARR (Aurora, Chicago) tomorrow, but might end up only as far as Dayton or something if it gets lovely early.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

Sounds like it's time for some people to invest in an instrument rating. It won't really help with the thunderstorms, unless you have wx radar, but it'll certainly help out on those foggy mornings.

We both have them. It's 0/0 at KPKB right now, that's below our company takeoff mins by quite a bit.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Made it to KCMH today and that's it.. a whole 76 miles further.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Animal posted:

Its too early to jump into conclusions as to what was going on in that cockpit, but I will throw this out there even though it might be a little politically incorrect: when I was a CFI, I had Asian students (as in, just got off a plane from Asia, not as in racially) who would have easily gone CFIT on a perfectly clear day if the automation was telling them to go there, unless I intervened. We have talked about this here, and I hate to be insensitive of other cultures, but the truth is that they are taught since childhood that individuality is a great evil. And so everything that comes with it, including initiative and adaptability, are to be frowned upon. By the time they are adults instruction is not just teaching something new, its basically a reprogramming, I could see through their eyes that their brain was going "DOES NOT COMPUTE" whenever I would tell them to throw The Book out the window in certain situations.

You put someone like that in a heavy aircraft with a lot of inertia, in a visual approach with no glideslope, and pray that the person sitting on the other seat will have a different mindset.

Right, The Slaughter?

Also I literally had to punish them for not going around to get them to do it and even still they often wouldn't. A Chinese student go around, unprompted entirely by the instructor was almost unheard of. (However many occasions I grabbed the throttles and yoke and crammed and climbed to get us the hell out of there after student inaction would have led to a nasty crash...)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Kinda sucks since I'd love to get the restricted one in a year when I'll have probably 1200tt and have finished my bs in aviation, from loving riddle, but because I didn't incinerate 200 grand and my certs were done under 61 I'm in eligible. (Even though I taught at a 141 school...)

Edit: I'm at like 1000tt right now but current job is a QoL job not a time builder.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, I'm usually pretty good, but being in Phoenix in the backseat of an archer during July absolutely killed me. Extremely hot and bumpy. That's the only time I've ever puked in an airplane.
In unrelated news, I flew like 5 hours today of mind numbing proficiency check stuff and I'm totally braindead and exhausted, just the amount of mental energy used was so draining. 3 hours of photo work, lunch, and then vfr maneuvers/emergencies/landings. So, feeling even stupid-er than normal, but well on my way to the company deciding, "Well, he's a moron, but he's our moron."

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Butt Reactor posted:

Just to clarify my understanding of the ATP rulings, if I go take the written exam before August 1, I just have to worry about hitting 1500 TT and the rest of the hourly requirements before 5 years is up, correct? Otherwise I'm in a world of hurt if I take after August 1, having to deal with certain "training" and other BS...

That was what I understood as well too, I'm going to try and get that written out of the way before July 31st. Just bought Shepphard Air ATP..

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't know why but that reminds me how we have 3 OAT sensors on our airplane and they are never even close to each other

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Pft, then why did I bother to get 500XC? I just hit it like last week. If I can get 1000TT with 500XC and all the other ATP requirements, the other instructors just aren't trying enough...
Also, 8 hour rule certainly isn't "all pilots", part 91 has no 8 hour rule and you can operate commercially under 91.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rickety Cricket posted:

Airplane Repo just referred to a kingair as a jet. Thanks Discovery!

So is a private pilot limited to an 8 hour day? What about a CFI?

As for the part 91 rules on 8 hours of flying.. it doesn't exist (in general). There are two small exceptions, neither of which apply to private pilots.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=515860921c5b1404a5bab16200764f11&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.11.8.33&idno=14 / http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-1059-FAR.shtml 91.1059 prescribes duty limits for fractional operators under part 91, and the applicability is found here http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=515860921c5b1404a5bab16200764f11&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.11.7.1&idno=14 in 91.1001. But that doesn't apply to most part 91 ops.

The flight instructor 8 hour dual limit is actually found in part 61, http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=90ec68131ada2386fffbc0b628459646&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.8.1.8&idno=14 61.195(a) to be specific. (a) Hours of training. In any 24-consecutive-hour period, a flight instructor may not conduct more than 8 hours of flight training.

Many good commercial operations operating under 91 though do model some form of flight/duty limits, at my company for example we are limited to a 12 hour duty day with min 10 hours of rest hotel-to-hotel, which can be extended but then requires 12 hours of rest, and we have an 8 flight hour limitation. Even if that doesn't exist, IMSAFE still applies, legal doesn't necessarily mean safe.

Regarding the Southwest 737, there was some 737 captain on CNN saying that because they changed from flaps 30 to flaps 40 approximately 57 seconds prior to impact, "whether they were making a stabilized approach" is questionable. Not sure how I feel about that...

This week has been unpleasant... my lightspeed zulu ear seals split from the heat and it's really loud without a proper seal. I ordered new ear seals *priority mail* on thursday and called to make sure they'd be shipped same day, which they were. Delivery estimate was monday... which would have worked fine since I was leaving early Wednesday AM to travel to my airplane. I ordered them from San Diego and I was in San Jose, so no problem right? Yet USPS for some reason sent them from the sort facility in San Diego to Texas to get sorted and missed their own delivery estimate by two days, delivering them Wednesday after I had already left. An apologetic USPS guy who investigated it for me told me he had no idea why they went to Texas, and that it wasn't normal, but not to worry as they had been delivered :( Doesn't help me much now that I'm in detroit with loud rear end split ear seals. Called a ton of pilot shops locally and nobody has them here either (the reason I ordered them online in the first place.)
On an unrelated note, thinking about buying some used qc15s or something for travelling. I have some etymotics canalphones right now but they don't really block as much noise as you'd hope and they're rather uncomfortable if you're leaning up against a travel pillow trying to sleep.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 26, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We're flying out of KARB right now, and trying to get a hotel near there has been fruitless. There's some sort of convention or something in town so we're stuck out in Dundee, MI, it blows

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
New approach light system installed at KSFO:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
.. contract? What? is this CAE? transpac? why would you sign a contract to be a flight instructor?

• Locked thread