Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Ferret King posted:

It's a goon flight sim channel. #flightsim on synirc. We have a pretty good mix of sim enthusiasts, pilots, CFIs, a controller or two, and a ton of IT dorks. I was around for the last time we tried to get an aviation/pilot channel started and I was the only one in it for a month before I gave up.

Also, they ban for talking about non pilot related anything. Jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I never knew there was such a negative connotation for overhead patterns. I'm totally gonna be doing them in my rented Cessna 152.

FULL SPEED AHEAD!

*hits 90 knots*

edit: what about requesting closed?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Guys guys my dreams have come true... I have a 707 (and 720) type rating!!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Yeah, RC-135 specifically but it was mostly for humor because I can't imagine a 707 type rating being helpful at anything... it was just to pad the resume.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The more I read about 3407's crash, the more I think they just massively failed at a go around. They put the flaps to a takeoff oriented position (I don't know the specifics), pushed up the throttle to 75% and kept raising the nose. I think it's an example of expectations and complacency that really did them in.

Also, a related note.... going... going... and gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtlS0sxFlHk

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Is 75% throttle ever appropriate for a go around in that plane?

Also thats an amazing video

Nope, but I've been tired and thought I pushed the throttle up more than I actually did.

DNova posted:

They were not attempting a go around. They were on approach. The causes of 3407 are at this point quite well known.

I get that they stalled it into the ground... but if you're tired, flying with a crew you think you know, power pushed up, flaps in a TO position and trying to climb, it's quite an aggressive position.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

I am enjoying my new job although there is a lot of time sitting around in the hotel, so if I can find a way to make the best of it (work out, play video games) I think I will be really drat happy here. I've got maybe 6 hours in the C206 now, did a bunch of landings and approaches today, it is the most nose heavy airplane I have ever flown but it isn't too tough to land nicely, you just have to flare it until your arms feel like they're going to fall off and they're in terrible pain. Some guys use the electric trim in the flare I guess and put it all the way back but that worries me in case you need to go around that you'd be at risk of trim stalling it unless you push forward really hard. I'd rather just muscle it. As a side note, I really don't like electric trim, but my trainer is forcing me to use it because it's new and I need to be proficient in everything in the airplane, and I guess he thinks the more I use it the more I'll get used to it. I don't like it because I don't know how much it's moving the trim wheel and I feel really "disconnected" from the trim and find it tough to get just the right setting. Grasping the trim wheel is so tangible and you can make such fine corrections. Also, developing a scan for glass is taking a bit of time although my approaches were OK but at times I'd be +-120 ft or so on altitude because I was messing with a checklist or something.

6 hours isn't much... once you get more comfortable with electric trim (and more importantly, the rate at which it trims and the muscle memory of when to do it) the convenience will be really nice. Also, I haven't flown a plane with manual trim (aside from the backup 135 stuff) since like, an old PA-28? How obnoxious it must be to turn something every time you change air speeds.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Lllllllllloooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee the new ATP rule!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Knockknees posted:

I think I've met the GA pilot that everyone hates the most.

"Every time I do a checkride, I ask the instructor how many hours he has. These kids barely ever have any hours. Then I tell him that I've got more hours than that just flying with ice on the wings! My checkrides only ever take 15 minutes."

"I don't lower the landing gear until the last second before touching down. I squeak it out perfectly every time. It saves gas."

"One time I was landing in a 40-knot crosswind, and a barrel flew across the runway, barely missing me. My instructor runs out, asking what the hell I was doing flying in this weather. I told him that he taught me how to fly in a crosswind, but not how to dodge barrels " ... "Landing in a crosswind like that is easy, you just give it more power, that's all!"

All of his stories revolve around him being a jerk, wrong, or down-right dangerous, and he thinks we're all impressed by his bravado every time he tells them. But since he's my mother in-laws boyfriend, we're supposed to be nice.

May I recommend you pass onto him:

http://www.uscg.mil/safety/docs/CRM/Darker_Shades_of_Blue.pdf

While the article is mainly about a failed corporate environment who didn't want to punish the golden boy of the Wing, it covers every aspect of a pilot who thinks the rules don't apply to them and wants to push the limits because it's never hurt him before.

ProFootball Guy: As for switching careers at age 29+, I don't know EXACTLY how old you are but look into the Air National Guard. Get your fix on the weekends, keep your high paying job now. Do not give up a 150k/year job to get a job in aviation.

Nothing wrong with an overhead break, it's the fastest way to enter the pattern and land - the initial point should be no different then reporting an X mile straight in for sequencing.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 16, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

In a no wind situation, the proper spacing should be where 30 degrees of bank for one continuous final turn gets you aligned with runway centerline.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 17, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I remember getting yelled at for using a walking cow for my turns around a point.

Congrats again!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

(which is why deviating around t-storms by at least 25nm on the upwind side is my recommendation although that's not always possible obviously). I hate to be the safety sally, but if the CFI is pressuring you to do this kind of thing, say no. It's your life.

The Air Force has guidance on this. The overarching distances were removed, leaving it to pilot discretion, however Air Combat Command put the old guidance back in, and is what a lot of us still fall back on.

5.26.3. (ACC) Flight Planned Route. Avoid thunderstorm activity by any means available by at least:
5.26.3.1. (Added-ACC) 20 NM laterally at or above FL 230.
5.26.3.2. (Added-ACC) 10 NM laterally below FL 230.

However, the 11-203v1 Weather for Aircrews has more restrictive guidance for bigger storms:

13.15.14.5. Avoid by at least 20 miles, any thunderstorm identified as severe or giving
an intense radar echo. This is especially true under the anvil of a large cumulonimbus.

Unless you have other guidance (which I'm sure you might!) 25 miles might be a bit extreme for low flying. If there is other guidance on it, I'd love to read up on it.

Secondly, there is a website that was pointed out to me called http://radar4pilots.com/ - excuse the antiquated layout, but it is a GREAT resource for thunderstorms/weather/radar education. It's updated monthly and has fantastic insight into stuff like this.

Also, I partly made this post for other users education, so feel free to add on. I consider reading radar4pilots standard professional upkeep (not really applicable to VFR flying.) For all the VFR flyers, the Weather For Aircrews should have everything you'd ever want to know about aviation and weather.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 3, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Anyone done underwater emergency egress training where they dunk you? What was it like?

I did, it sucked but it was useful. First half was all academics, what to eat, how to operate ocean survival equipment, multiple ways to procure water, etc. Second half was pool/raft/hoist intro. Then we learned how to meet up in the water, how to use a personal life raft, group life raft, etc. The training began in stages, always pitch black, with the wave machine going and being sprayed with hoses. First how to get in a personal life raft and get established, then in a group one, and then finally the capstone with the dunker. Some anxiety about going into it, but millions of people have done it before me, and millions will after so just pressed on and did it.

edit: they had divers all around, and those who couldn't swim had to wear a helmet with a glow stick attached.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

FYI the Flight Sim IRC ops are nazis.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

SCOTLAND posted:

Just remember, see and be seen.

I lost a friend north of Toronto to a midair with someone transiting the corridor to the practice area, and its likely the other pilot had no clue that the airspace was anything special.

Just remember that when y'all dilly dally through MOAs!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Alaska Airlines posted hiring FOs... 3000 hours or 1200 military time. That seems quite generous to mil people, even moreso then the standard .3 multiplier.

Regardless, anyone here with high time going to apply?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I stopped reading after that, too.

Same.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Just to chime in... if there's a mega exercise going on (example, Red Flag recovery window) Tower will be dealing with several aircraft that have huge variations of speed. For example, an HH-60 might be going 60 KIAS, C-17s doing 140, RC-135s doing 170, B-1s doing 200+ and fighters fly above 250 in pattern ops. Finally, military have wingmen, do straight ins, tactical overhead arrivals and pull closed, etc. If there's a C-172 trying to tote around during this massive recovery, he will get told to sit down and shut up.

Why you guys are up in arms about this is beyond me. Dude coulda canceled, landed, or whatever but in a Large Force Exercise, ATC is going to prioritize.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 8, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Zochness posted:

We've got GOONI, which is the IAF for a HI-VOR/DME or TACAN approach here, I issue that all the time to the military. Not nearly as cool as GOONS, but close. Speaking of the military, the Air Force trainees have been out in force (lol) the past week. Thursday was the busiest I have ever seen it here in the 2 years I've been at AMA. I had four BE40s in holding waiting on my final controller to have room to put them in on approaches. Think we had about 5 T38s and 8 Beechjets in our airspace during an hour/hour and a half stretch, plus all our normal itinerants. Never seen all of the positions in our TRACON open at the same time, it was crazy. Hard to work that kind of traffic after we have been dead the past 2 months.

HA! Sorry about that.

The problem was that we've had a bunch of maintenance issues, plus a string of crappy weather here in Oklahoma. Because of that, scheduling had to do what we call "super out n backs" where we do three events instead of two - and the third event was a Transition student needing a bunch of patterns to learn how to land the plane.

LBB/AMA was the only place in a 300 mile range from Vance AFB that supported VFR weather, VFR patterns, and the right kind of instrument work required to knock out the student's beans. Secondly, T-38s are scared of weather and will avoid it at nearly all costs. So, we launched the fleet to AMA/LBB.

If it makes you feel any better, I kicked my Trans student off the flight and went north into intentionally lovely weather for "training." However, I'm definitely going to show some people at work this post...

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

I would say the same to you. Try power for altitude and pitch for airspeed while on final in a Jet. That's the reason we teach pitch for altitude and power for airspeed. It also goes back to instrument training - when you're 1 dot low on an ILS, are you going to increase power? No, you're going to change your pitch.

FYI the USAF teaches power for altitude, pitch/trim for speed.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So how obnoxious is the ATP written?

Bought the Sheppard Air study material, so time to knock this sucker out.

Also, any latest and greatest on if it's worth getting a 737 type rating when doing the practical, or just go for the cheapest possible?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 6, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

One has a future

One won't bankrupt you

One keeps the other being fun

One has job security

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

DNova posted:

Also: flight attendants (and pilots!), loving say what you want to say and then shut up for a while, please. Don't stand on the mic for excessive periods of time as you have a leisurely stream of consciousness. First of all, nobody cares about whatever you are saying 99.9% of the time, I promise. Second, you are forcing everyone's movies or tv shows to pause and making us realize the poo poo reality we are in. Stop it!

#firstworldproblems

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Folks who fly bigger stuff, or stuff with nav systems that load approaches for you, take a look at this approach plate, please:

KCRP LOC RY 31

When would it be most beneficial for you to know that you can delete the altitude restriction at PINRR?

When Navy Cabaniss field is closed, I have no need for the restriction, so I try to remember to tell flight crews to remove it. If I tell them too far out, I feel they haven't really briefed the approach plate yet and don't know what I'm talking about. If I wait to delete the restriction after I've issued the approach clearance, I worry that it might be cumbersome for them to edit their loaded approach while intercepting final and worrying about more important things.

So when would the best time be to remove this restriction, as far as workload is concerned?

For those of us that hand fly all approaches, I'd say approaching DUCKY inbound.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Too soon?

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/for/4372477162.html

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

A panel fell off.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Actually, reddit solved the mystery

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Oh my god the ADDS website :eyepop:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Hire only military pilots to the major airlines.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

So this may be a silly question then, but how do you keep from getting bored during cruise? I assume that unless there's a problem a lot of the stuff you're monitoring will stay within a fairly narrow range, and getting bored/sleepy/coma-ridden is exactly the kind of thing that would cause you to potentially miss critical things in the first place.

"Find me the only 2 lower case letters in the cockpit"

"Find the 3 palindromes in the cockpit"

"Try and figure out which circuit breaker I just pulled"

etc

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

azflyboy posted:

so the FO decided he'd had enough fun and was given a day at home,

The Slaughter posted:

Sometimes, it's just not your day, or your week- and you need to know when to call it quits.

This is an option? Like F it, I don't want to work anymore on this trip?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I want to hear more. What kind of cars did you drive? Were they comfy? Where did you stop for food?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rolo posted:

I've been doing a lot of flights for Pilots N Paws lately and I think I need to stop. I almost adopted a dog today simply because of how cool it was in the plane.

Plus I'd have to name it some insufferable aviation related name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU9USxJ9vPs

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

greasyhands posted:

This is probably a long shot, but if anyone here would like to work in air ambulance on a week on/week off schedule flying King Airs, live in or commute to Amarillo, TX, and you have 1000+ multi PIC (preferably turbine, but I can work with your piston time... I can also work with you if you have SE turbine PIC instead of multi) PM me.

Just curious, what is the salary range for something like this?

fake edit: I accept PMs!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Zochness posted:

I'm ATC at KAMA, which King Air are you hiring for? I see medevac King Airs flying in and out of Tradewind all the time.

You workin tonight?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Do you mean Boxed 58?

I try and avoid Lubbock at all costs, but seems that I'm at AMA at least once a week.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

He's probably thinking RAKE58, the beechjet.

Ahh yeah, forgot about them. Rake/Maze are Laughlin, and Vandy/Loot/Evil/Boxed are Vance.

Overhead 250 kias breaks are the fastest way to get anywhere, although students usually do them at 200.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 12, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

All I do is go to Amarillo. At least Tac Air gives you 30% off coupons for Big Texan. I have one student who promises me he will do it...

Restaurant on the field is pretty good too. Their shredded chicken burrito covered in enchilada sauce is delish.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

So what's the demand for Global Express 6000/7000 pilots these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

ausgezeichnet posted:

If you're typed with a few hundred hours in it - great. $150,000-225,000 depending on region. No 7000's in service until 2016, though.

Got any more details? From who, and what region? Potentially looking at a job that would get me that type and about 650 hours in it.

• Locked thread