Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If anyone wants a recommendation for an interview with ExpressJet, let me know. Must meet ATP mins (so gently caress you The Slaughter, go away.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

We're goons and I've read all you've endured (your bitching). Beats my Delta recmmends, which is guys who've sat on my jumpseat

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Each airport has its own culture, but its alright if you just tell ground when you contact them for taxi. Say your ATIS code (or "with weather" if AWOS) and departure direction.

"Winterfell ground, Cessna N6028Y at the south ramp, ready to taxi, flying southwest-bound with information Lima"

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yesterday I was flying SAV to DTW, and after checking in to JAX I wasked if my friend Paul was working today. The controller said that he was on maternity leave, so I said to say hi from Manny. My captain look at me in awe, she could not believe I struck a casual chat with ATC, and thought it was the coolest thing she had ever heard.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Seeing P-51 Mustangs, Spitfires, and P-40's doing the overhead was the best thing about working in KISM. No one else dared try, only the T-6 Texans, you WOULD make yourself look like an rear end if you asked for it.

We used to do the overhead but in an ironic hipster way, flying BN-2 Islanders on Roosevelt Roads down in Puerto Rico. Slow rear end plane on a long rear end runway was always good for a chuckle.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

DC passives are great in that they are built like tanks. I owned their high end noise cancelling set (X11?) and not only did it break apart easily, the noise cancelling was hilariously lovely. Sold it and went with Bose. Right now I own Bose A20, and as amazing as they are, I am starting to think they are overkill for flying a regional jet. So I may sell them and get something more economic. Anyone who is interested let me know.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And if they took it from TSA they would just can Known Crewmember.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

I just spent a not insignificant portion of the last 24 hours watching videos of people having stupid amounts of fun flying gliders. Can anyone come up with a good reason not to go blow a significant amount of money learning to fly something with no engines?

A coworker and I are gonna join a glider club here in Michigan. Its ridiculously cheap and having no engine seems like a pro, not a con

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ferris Bueller posted:

Which club are you joining? Been thinking a commercial glider rating would be a fun add on.

Sandhill Soaring Club at Richmond Field. I plan to join in July or August when I start doing 2nd year pay and can actually afford it. Let me know if you are interested, we can get together. There are other airline and former airline pilots there, seems like a great place for networking and having fun.

The fact that there is no engine and you have to make the most of your control surfaces and energy management appeals to me greatly as an airline pilot, precisely for maintaining those stick and rudder skills.

quote:

1000x this, plus in the US I could hand fly 100% of the flight no matter the conditions depending on how much I like watching my PM working.

Kodiak, in all seriousness start hand flying the airplane, start hand flying it all the way to cruise altitude, and to conquer the visual approach dread just start doing them. Some tips I give my IOE guys are imagine an ILS overlayed on the twisty course you are going to take to get to the runway, and then pick out visual reference points along your course and make little mental gates, speed, alt, and config wise to be at these points. If you're flying with a captain that's cool, just tell them you're trying to get better with visuals and see if you can't steal the visual legs, or get in an extra. If a guy told that to me I would gladly give up a few legs to see if I could help out. The visual approach is where pilots can show off their talent, so a bit of practice is worth it.

I think what Kodiak is going at is that his company policy is that you fly the precision approach profile regardless of whether you got a visual. In my first months on the CRJ700 I was terrified of the visual approaches, but I just started forcing myself to hand fly every chance I get, up to FL180, and on approach, as soon as I hear "cleared for the visual RWY XX" I am thumbing that autopilot disconnect and turning the flight director off. Its so much fun once you are used to it. Its a matter of not overcorrecting either with your yoke or throttle. Just put the nose where you think it should go and make small adjustments from there. Fly a regular ILS, observe where the attitude indicator normally goes and your power settings, and emulate that on the visual. I am actually forcing myself to use automation more often now because I'm starting to suck at that :)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Just became fully certified today at KCRP. This is my second ATC facility and I've now been with the FAA about 4 years, I'm pretty stoked. And nervous. But, working a busier facility has already made me so much better than I was before, and I look forward to continuing to improve.

Congrats man. Its a nice airport, how do you like working there?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You may leave the flight school, but the flight school will never leave you. It will follow you around forever like a warm cloud of halitosis.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Apparently if your airline has a fatigue program most of the new rules go to the shitter

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I read a LOT of books and watch a lot of series. I am considering picking up programming just so I can do something productive with all that idle time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ALWAYS make your pre-solo student take a written test covering all the areas and keep that in your file for three years.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Maybe, it depends on how the FAA interprets the reg. It seems like it's supposed to be a pretty cut and dry test but who knows what the FAA would accept. It's not uncommon for the FAA to look into someones procedures and find that they've been violating the FARs for a long time. RAH can't train EMB 170 pilots right now because flight safety just got nailed by the FAA for something (Details are murky) causing them to temporarily shut down their training program. If an organization like flight safety can screw up like that there's no reason your instructor couldn't.

Speaking of airline training, Does anyone know if the "ATP Rule" requires FOs to have a full type rating or just the SIC rating? It seems that half the regional carriers are doing one and half the other. If the ruling is for a full type that could be somewhat catastrophic come the 1st of August.

Full type. And my regional is starting to panic.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Are you sure? GoJets is NOT typing FOs who already have an ATP. My company was going to let me slide on my existing ATP. I've heard mixed reviews from Eagle as well. August could be interesting if a full PIC type is required.

Edit: I heard Silver was sending FOs to ATP. lol

Then I am not sure, but I thought the full type is being required. My company is making everyone who goes through AQP get the full one as soon as they have their ATP.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just call approach for flight following after take-off. They'll hand you a squawk code.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ok. So under the B, take off, talk to approach, get a squawk. Follow one of the VFR flyways out of the B, go on my merry way?

Yep.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have a friend who flew for Colgan on the Q400 for a short period of time and, while I never really got into details with him, liked it so much that he quit, told me "Don't go to the airlines." and came home to do more instructing. Fortunately for him, he found a corporate flying job not long after, though it sounds like he's not too much happier.

He should not have joined a crap regional. I am one month shy from my first year in my regional, and, brutal first year pay aside, I have had a positive experience. Training was excellent, the company is diligent, and the pilot group has been great so far.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

One of the things I hate about the aviation community is all the spam.

gently caress you AOPA.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wasn't he on the left seat with less than 200 hours on type?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

fknlo posted:

Just worked solar impulse for the last hour and a half on his way east out of st. Louis. Holy hell that thing is slooooow. The guy flying it is very nice though.

43 mph... even a glider goes faster!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

if anyone is interested , I am selling my Bose A20's for $750.

Dont miss the chance to be the bragging douchebag who cant stop bragging about his Bose!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They do a nice payment plan with no interest. Every CFI should have nice noise canceling or risk hearing loss like me.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shavnir posted:

So its one thing to get a plane like a dc-3 holding short for you...its altogether something else to have it happen during my first solo today.

Holy crap that was nuts.

Congratulations, you are a real pilot now!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wanna look like a classy aviation stud to everyone on frequency?

"Tower, he's burning more fuel than I am so how about I do some turns while he goes first?"

I made some P-51 Mustang and Spitfire pilots very happy with that line at the KISM airport.

Also it helps you brush up on wake turbulence avoidance ;)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Its too early to jump into conclusions as to what was going on in that cockpit, but I will throw this out there even though it might be a little politically incorrect: when I was a CFI, I had Asian students (as in, just got off a plane from Asia, not as in racially) who would have easily gone CFIT on a perfectly clear day if the automation was telling them to go there, unless I intervened. We have talked about this here, and I hate to be insensitive of other cultures, but the truth is that they are taught since childhood that individuality is a great evil. And so everything that comes with it, including initiative and adaptability, are to be frowned upon. By the time they are adults instruction is not just teaching something new, its basically a reprogramming, I could see through their eyes that their brain was going "DOES NOT COMPUTE" whenever I would tell them to throw The Book out the window in certain situations.

You put someone like that in a heavy aircraft with a lot of inertia, in a visual approach with no glideslope, and pray that the person sitting on the other seat will have a different mindset.

Right, The Slaughter?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Holy poo poo. Source?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes. Towing banners in a 15 mile circle for 1,500 hours will qualify you as long as you have 200 long hours of cross country time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Asiana pilot is now claiming that a bright flash of light blinded him and thats why he crashed. Right.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just turned around to the gate at EWR afrer 2 hours waiting for take-off. Wx and now that Southwest in LGA are making Newark today into a worse clusterfuck than it normally is.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Where are you staying in DTW?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thats interesting to know. Whats your take on the different regionals (ERJ Aceys, CRJ Aceys, Flashships, Lindberghs, etc)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And I loathed flying them at those alts.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

sellouts posted:

What was bad about flying them in the flight levels?

Absolutely terrible climb rate.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Butt Reactor posted:

I don't think it's going to be that bad

Hahahahahahahaha...

Seriously good luck and I hope you build a lot of hours fast.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I am selfishly glad that this will induce a shortage on the long term, and thus ostensibly make us more valuable. I didn't join a regional right after a year of flight instructing, I did it after years working as a CFI and lovely Part 135 gigs. I almost died, many, many times. All of it built character and built me into a hardened, cynical aviator who will not buckle under pressure. Or so I like to believe. Toughen up and pay your dues, you pansy. A year or two of halitosis from a student who is flying into an MOA while spitting out broken Engrish will almost make you appreciate first year regional pay, and I kinda wish a lot of low time guys in my airline had paid their dues, because they are the bitchiest, laziest group of people I have ever met. For many of them this is literally their first full time job and they act like they are enduring a gulag because they had to wake up at 5am. The other day I flew with a captain who got hired here at 280 hours about 8 years ago, and I believe he never had any job before this. He was bitching non-stop about being back to reserve and he strongly believes that he should have at least 16 days off every month as a contract rule. This law will hopefully get rid of those guys.

On the other hand I think this regulation is bullshit and has little relevance to the job of an airline pilot, and a guy with a few hundred hours is not necessarily gonna be worse at the job than I am, and he is not gonna get any better by towing banners for a thousand hours. Also we are not suddenly gonna start making more money and have better benefits just because we are harder to come by. They will always find a way to gently caress us over.

I think they went overboard with it. I think the rule should have been around 800 hours, which is the point where I think I had seen enough and was truly ready to move on.

Animal fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 2, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am about to fly from LGA to GSO at 6,000ft MSL... In a CRJ-700... 420nm...

wtf

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That got exciting quickly... A passenger went ragdoll and eyes rolled into her skull... Medical emergency, had to speed up to 330kts at 6,000msl and held that till 10 miles out, fun approach and landing. Pax is ok now. Altitude was due to congestion going out of NYC its the only way they can let flights out. Apparently its the new fad, they have been doing it all week.

This is my fourth medical emergency in a year, including one incapacitated flight attendant.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Apparently.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL4949/history/20130809/1825Z/KLGA/KGSO

Look at the flightlog and guess when the emergency was reported

• Locked thread