Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A320, cool!

What did you fly previously? Anything interesting or challenging about transitioning to Airbus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KOKC 010015Z VRB06G47KT 2SM TSRA FEW005 BKN025CB OVC100 24/19 A2963 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B2355 W MOV E FUNNEL CLOUD E06 AO2 PK WND 34061/0005 WSHFT 2355 PRESRR FRQ LTGICCCCGCA OHD-ALQDS TS OHD-ALQDS MOV E P0000

And an update -- Nice to see winds variable from 6 to 47kts...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Slaughter if you ever make it down to SoCal hit me up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Breaking news: NTSB syas CVR and flight data recorder are indicating a last second attempt at a Go around.

Edit: More breaking news: The pilots appear to have massively tooled up their visual approach and didn't attempt a go around until it was way too late.

Hey Kodiak and other ATP people, I read that the stick shaker activated approximately 4 seconds before impact. I assume that is way too late for a go-around, as even a Cat III-B ILS approach has a decision height of what, 50 feet to the ground? They weren't on the ILS as it was inop but was there anything they could have done when the stick shaker activated at that height?

Should it be an immediate reaction to advance the throttles and call go around as soon as the stick shaker activates? Do you think that would have done anything at 4 seconds vs the 1.5 seconds that they did advance the throttles?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Depending on what's happening you can "go around" even after the wheels have touched down. On a normal approach 4 seconds before touchdown wouldn't be a problem. However on this approach they had the engines at idle (not normal for a jet) and were so slow that they were in what's known as the backside of the power curve which is a situation that takes a LOT of thrust or altitude to recover from. It remains to be seen when they actually increased thrust. The 7 second slow call, the 4 second shaker activation, or the 1.5 second go around call.

Thanks! Aren't there some aircraft that prohibit go arounds once or before wheels are down? Maybe I was thinking of just company policy in some handbook I downloaded.

And what you're saying about the engines being at idle make sense. I've flown (as a complete amateur) in an md-11 and md80 simulator before and the time it takes to spool from idle to 40% n1 seems to take as long as 40-95% n1.

Less than 50 hours on type and first landing at the field. Yikes. (Per CNN.com animal)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 8, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What was bad about flying them in the flight levels?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How could the answer not be the plane?

What kind of stuff were they auctioning off?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

E.pie check these out

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/Home

They do a similar thing at pilotedge only the ATC is even more (much more) legit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DNova posted:

I don't know why you are posting this or what your point is

Bravado aside, he wanted to use the smiley he bought.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You guys that are fed up with the regionals or trying to get there should just go fly these. I think I saw one white guy (the only non-maldivian I believe) flying them.

2500 VFR, GPS direct and barefoot in shorts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SCOTLAND posted:

Finally have CPDLC Capability, dear lord it's amazing.

Do you ever need to use free text mode or do the preprogrammed responses and requests cover mostly everything?

Is voice just used when the system is otherwise unavailable or for emergencies?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SCOTLAND posted:

Also the 787 HUD is amazing fyi. The Automation and aircraft logic systems going from the 767 to the 787 is nuts so far.

What are some things that you've been impressed with on the logic and automation sides? I find that sort of stuff really interesting.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kind of says it all

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

.831 is what I am talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

CharlesM posted:

That's a lot of A380s though. That's pretty impressive. According to Wikipedia they also have 96 777-300ERs. Wow.

Dxb is an absurd airport from this aspect. Taxiing around it is just 380 after 380 and so many 777s that you kind of lose scale for just how big they are.

They use 2x 773s a day to the Maldives. I find that to be insane.

• Locked thread