Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
By the end of this thread I hope I'm a CFI.

Things I learned today: Experimental airplanes can't be used for hire! Guess there arentt any flight schools renting out RV's for flight instruction (without a Letter of Deviation Authority).

I also want to mention a few flying Podcasts that I've been listening to while I've been studying for the Comm/CFI.

The Finer Points - since 2008 this Master CFI has been giving 10 minute podcasts from topics ranging from IFR lost Coms to the keys for a proper Emergency Engine Recovery

Thoughts From the Flight Deck - A little more in the realm of personal stories that have a type of 'learned lesson.' Examples are what happens to him when he accidentally plugged his headset into the co-pilot radio.

Both available in iTunes.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

AWSEFT posted:

No comment.

Interesting. I've rented a Zodiac ch601.

How long ago was it? 2006 ish? May have been before the EAA Exemption 7162 expired
http://www.eaa.org/news/2007/2007-11-01_exemption.asp

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I'm going to give this a shot.

Dear Pilot Brethren which airline should I take on my way to Western Europe this summer?

Looking at flying out of DFW to Brusells for around 1300 per ticket this June.
Brussells seems to be cheaper than frankfurt or any other place I've been looking, and it doesn't have a bad reputation like Heathrow or Paris.

I guess the other part of my question is, should I be trying to get a cheap ticket to somewhere in the states to fly out of? Maybe like Houston or Chicago?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody recommend a flight school in Philadelphia? I'm going to be up there for 5 days for a work conference. Wanted to get a local flight in.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks Fordan.

I actually flew with Advanced Wings out of KLOM last night. Got my first hour in a SR20.

The instructor didn't seem to remember that I was a pilot and took the controls from me when entering the pattern midfield to show me an 'overhead approach.'

Really lovely thing to do, wasn't impressed. Especially when he side loaded the gear and touched down 3/4's of the way down the runway.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
For your first headset. Go as cheaply as possible. When you get your license. Buy a ANR Bose or Lightspeed Zulu. Your ears are worth every penny.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My first reaction is that you're a monster, but apparently LIDAR can be used for things other than giving people speeding tickets...

What exactly would you be using the LIDAR for?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Just passed CFI

That's wonderful! If you could, please post a write up as I am going to take mine in July and would like to be as prepared as possible....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Taking my Airplane Single-Engine Commercial on Sunday. Would appreciate any tips that people would like to volunteer.

I'm headed out to a completely brand new airport to do the checkride, so I've been simming the airport and the entire ride. I think I've got a good grasp on everything, but still Id love to hear some 'tricky' scenario questions or manuevers and any advice.

I was thinking maybe we should start an Oral Checkride list of questions for every ride. Between the people here in the forums I think we have every rating covered.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Brushing up on my VFR Sectional Chart Skills.

Anybody ever seen one of these on their chart? I'm not having luck finding one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That's great thanks a lot!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I was actually required to take the FAA Written before I could solo.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can I get updated in the OP please.

Captain Apollo - Commercial Single Engine Land

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Great job friend. Congratulations.

The Slaughter posted:

How in the hell

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats it's :homebrew: time now!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Congrats Captain Apollo! :hfive:

Thanks everybody! Like I said in the first post of this thread, I hope to be a CFI by the end of this thread. Hopefully I can get it done late late July or early August!

Butt Reactor posted:

At least SOMEONE is getting poo poo done, my streak of bad luck continues. Broke my clavicle at a memorial day party at my house last week, getting surgery this Wednesday to reset it with titanium pins. So not only am I grounded for several months, I get to explain that fun poo poo on every future medical and every time I go through TSA. something tells me that maybe I should start looking for a different career...:smithcloud:

Come down to Texas and be my CFI Instructor?

Rolo posted:

Well that was seriously awful and stressful, but I got told I fly well as my examiner gave me my instrument rating today.

8 hours :cheers:!

Congratulations Rolo. Instrument is a hard one, when are you moving on to Commercial?

I'm going to do a Commercial Checkride write up. Mine was strangely non-standard but wonderful. I was there from 9:00am to 5pm.....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Butt Reactor posted:

:raise: I'd have to check my logbook to see if I meet the mins for part 61 CFI instruction, but at the very least I don't see why we can't do some ground via Skype or something like that. Where are you located in TX ?

Also fellow instructors, any recommendations on how to advertise my services for ground tutoring? I may not be able to fly for a few weeks but I'd like to retain my knowledge while still making a few :20bux: on the side.

KLBB

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

HE4T posted:

but lying to the Feds seemed like a good idea to me even though I wanted to personally spend Thousands of dollars to prove to a bureaucracy absolutely nothing of consequence.

No but really just lie to the FAA.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just going to leave this here.....

I start my CFI training tomorrow.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congrats Rolo! Are you on the path to CFI soon? We might end up geting our opposite ratings soon. I just got commercial single, need to add that multi soon :) I think it's going to be impossible to get my CFI before August 1st.

Simply not enough CFI's around the area for me to get any work done with them. I'm doing all the self study I can, but I know I'll end up short in something somewhere.

In OTHER news: I landed my mooney from the right seat all by myself today, 4 seperate times.

Did a first pass low and slow with all the junk out to see how it felt, and had a left seat pilot tell me if he thought he was on centerline. Next 4 landings were right on center line, but then veered far to the right after touchdown..... I'll have to fix that pretty quick!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I love The Finer Points.

Wear extremely skimpy clothing. I fly in shorts and a breathable tshirt. Do not 'dress up' for this. Keep your eyes focused on the horizon if you feel weird. Don't be afraid to tell them you're not feeling well, as every pilot in the universe has gotten motion sick at some point.

But honestly it shouldn't be a big deal.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ah yes, the joys of owning your own Mooney. The previous mechanics apparently thought the oil cooler sitting next to the inside of the cowl was a great idea.

The first pic was taken right after the cowling was undone. (53 screws per cowl thanks mooney) You can see the oil cooler vents (bottom) rubbing against the inside of the cowl.

The bottom pic is the two parts after they have been moved out of each others way. Check out that nice friction burn into the vents. They are ALL supposed to be rounded instead of.....shark toothed.

Only a 450 dollar fix from aircraftspruce.

I noticed it because oil was leaking from the nose onto the ground. Pretty steadily after it has been parked a second. of course, you always start wondering which landing you had that hosed it all up. Easy to second guess yourself. The mechanic absolved me of all sins and said it was just the previous mechanic that let them rub against each other. Sucks.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2013

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Small Airplane Revitalization Act - Authored by a Kansasian.

http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/topstories/House-Passes-Small-Airplane-Revitalization-Act_79710.html#.UegNQm34bjF

quote:

House Passes Small Airplane Revitalization Act

By Woodrow Bellamy III
The House on Tuesday unanimously passed the Small Airplane Revitalization Act which requires FAA to replace its current prescriptive regulations on small aircraft certification with performance-based regulations.

A similar bill was introduced in the Senate in May. If the bill eventually gets signed into law, FAA would be required to implement recommendations drafted by the Part 23 Reorganization Aviation Rulemaking Committee by the end of 2015.

“These new streamlined regulations will decrease costs, increase safety and improve global competitiveness," said Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), who introduced the legislation two months ago.

Provisions in the bill would help manufacturers bring new technology designed for Part 23 airplanes to the market much faster.

Several aviation industry trade groups, including the General Aviation Manufacturer's Association (GAMA), National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) and Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) expressed their support for the bill. Supporters say that FAA's current regulation of small airplanes is burdensome, preventing the introduction of new technologies in the cockpit that improves safety and performance.

"The bill will allow manufacturers to bring innovative, safety-enhancing products to market, reduce certification costs and help revitalize the lighter end of the GA market. The overwhelmingly positive vote today makes it crystal clear that the FAA should implement these rules without delay," said Pete Bunce, president and CEO of GAMA.

The Part 23 ARC's recommendations focus on implementing regulations that are performance-based, and allow greater consideration for the complexity of lighter aircraft.
- See more at: http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/topstories/House-Passes-Small-Airplane-Revitalization-Act_79710.html#.UegNQm34bjF

We need some new blood. This could be great. Doubt it'll ever pass.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
After MONTHS of not being able to find a CFI to teach me to be a CFI, I think I've finally found a guy.

FerretKing knows him pretty well and I met him at a fly-in in Victoria. Hopefully Waco Flying Services sets me straight!

Best part? I get to do it in a M20J

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This thread is now about flying animals. Be they for rescues or for pure enjoyment.

Me and my Bear (half Rottweiler and half Bassett hound coming from f82 to KABI tonight.

She LOVES flying.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Mine is August 15th. Good luck goon brother! CFI Initial Single Engine?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks - I feel like I literally know nothing anymore.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

ProFootballGuy posted:

I'm a student pilot with a whopping 2.5 hours so far. I've gotten the preflight checklists and taxiing down pretty well! I think I can take off fairly decently too.

My first lessons have been straight and level flight, and slow flight/flaps. I feel like I've been struggling with both, and want to make sure I'm not insane/stupid.

I'm thinking that it's mostly muscle-memory and practice that'll get me a better feel for how to keep altitude/keep airspeed/keep on course. My instructor thinks it'll come with practice and doing it, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to get it right.

Any tips for a brand new pilot trying to battle the wind and become one with the throttle?

Remember the first time you turned 15 and drove on the interstate perfectly while executing lane changes?

But you don't have any problems doing that now right?

You have TWO hours man, nothing you do is perfect. I have 400 and I still goof things up!!!

But keep sharing your lessons and stories with us!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Log ten pro. Universal for ipad and iPhone. Mac costs extra.

I have all 4 variants lol, because I accidentally didn't buy the universal one first.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How goes it Rolo??

I just went through my first CFI Ground School and I'm dying....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congratulations Rolo!!!

Now give me some tips before my check right next Thursday!!!!!

I completed my three-day accelerated course today and I got signed off by one of Ferret Kings former instructors!

Now to just worry.........

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can we update the OP?

Captain Apollo, CFI

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

God help us all.

Congratulations :)

AWSEFT posted:

Yes, yes I can. Congrats Apollo!

azflyboy posted:

Oh dear lord...

Seriously though, congratulations!

Thanks All. The checkride was definitely different.

I was tested over Human Behavior and the Principles of Learning/Levels/Maslows Hierarchy of Needs. Those are very easy for me because my current job is essentially all of that stuff put together.

Next up was Flight Instructor responsiblities. Chatted a bit about how I'm not supposed to be the sheriff or narc of the airport, but to keep an eye out and make sure nobody dies. We began to ask me about endorsements but as soon as I brought out the 61-65E we went to the next subject. He did make sure to mention that if the endorsement document has been revised up to letter 'E', that I better make sure I'm endorsing what I think I am by referencing the proper reg, 61.87 etc.

I then taught Runway Incursion and a proper Weight and Balance. W&B was easy since I teach them as two separate subjects and combine them afterwards.

Taught Steep Turns - Ended up drawing vertical and horizontal components of lift and talked a lot about load factor and all that jazz.

Flying Portion - I used my M20C that I have 300 hours in now. That made it really easy. I had also been sitting right seat in my and another friends Mooney for the last 3 months so I was quite comfortable doing the right seat flying. Just....no brakes ;)

Real easy, he said he was a private pilot here to do a complex checkout. Okay no problem that's easy. Talked about how the Mooney is the only airplane with a proper tail.... (he is a helo guy so he chuckled)

Did Steep Turns, Climbs, Power off Stalls, Lazy Eights, S-Turns across a road. Soft field and short field landings and takeoffs. My soft field landing was probably the best one I had ever done, and we ended on that.

I'll extrapolate if anybody has any questions, I know I was desperate to find out what the CFI ride was like especially since no one in our area had taken the ride with our examiner.

I gave 1.8 hours of Dual today. :3: My dad was a flight instructor so yesterday and today were the culmination of a dream I've had ever since I was 2 years old!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Slaughter posted:

Doesn't sound like he had you teach chandelles or any of the comm SE maneuvers? Kind of surprised about that. Also, none of the demonstration stalls? I got all of that stuff...

Lazy eights and 8s on pylons.......

Power off stall with a secondary stall.....

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

CraZy GrinGo posted:

Took my brother and his wife on a hiking trip today. See if you can spot our helicopter in the picture.

Here it is

Okay this is freaking amazing and I'm really jealous by the way.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sorry to hear that Rolo. Was this a fsdo guy or a dpe? Why do you think he hated you?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
On Tuesday I did a mock oral exam and mock private pilot practical checkride. I was able to distract him so easily and he got 1000ft off of altitude and couldn't do steep turns etc.

Last night I flew with him again and he saw right through all my tricks and distractions and he was fully (acting) PIC during our oral and practical.

Today is his checkride and even though I didn't sign him off, I still hope he does well! He improved about 200% from Tuesday to Wednesday night. I sure hope he got some sleep last night

:3:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think I'm buying a 1964 cherokee 140 to give flight instruction in and have the local pilots association use it so we can get up and going.

:siren: buying a cherokee 140 :siren:

Now how do I do this without my wife knowing?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've got a great full time job with benefits. I'm the faculty adviser to a student organization and a cherokee 140 would let me instruct and let some students take some lessons.

I have ZERO desire to fly the regional way or 'step up.'

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
This is actually the local pilot owned pilot maker and 'trainer.' I've got 30 hours in it myself! Guy buys it, gets license in it, sells it to next guy.

I know the previous 4 owners....

It's gone from pilot to pilot and I know the a&p who has worked on it for the last 6 years...

19k is a steal right?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
800hrs left on the engine till TBO.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Paint is chipped around the cowling but is clean elsewhere. Interior has 'nice' cloth seats.

Panel is in a 6 pack configuration with a a com box in the floor to do two headsets.

It will come with some newish radios that you can switch freqs back and forth. I'm honestly trying to find a reason not to do it because I might end up with the mooney officially this year......

I've been saying for the last 3 years that I'd buy that plane in a heartbeat if anybody was selling it.

drat mouth!

• Locked thread