Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

CraZy GrinGo posted:

Anyone here fly gliders? I visited a glider club near my airport and talked to the guys and now I'm thinking about joining. Since you only need a couple flights to meet checkride requirements (and each flight is only $10) I've decided that this is a good way to spend my weekends flying. I learned a lot talking to them as well. Never realized that they go all the way up to just below class A, and that they can travel hundreds of miles in a single flight.

Where did you find a glider school operating at that low of a cost? I stopped by a glider-port Tehachapi, and It would of cost around $3000 to get the category added to my license. As far as I know, the check ride requirements are 10 landings with an instructor. It's around $100 per tow, $30-$60/hr for the glider, and $50/hr for the instructor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

KodiakRS posted:

I just spent a not insignificant portion of the last 24 hours watching videos of people having stupid amounts of fun flying gliders. Can anyone come up with a good reason not to go blow a significant amount of money learning to fly something with no engines?

I was asking earlier about cheap gliding school. You can apparently join some clubs out in AZ or OH and get ridiculous cheap flights. They offer winch flights for $15 w/instructor. It may end up being cheaper just staying out in the middle of nowhere for a couple weeks. It makes the transition cheap with something like 10 landings and a $350 checkout flight.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Butt Reactor posted:

What do you guys think of the pilot mills like TransPac (Phoenix), and US Aviation (Denton/Sherman TX)? I ask because I was canned last week from another 141 flight school. Awkward story, I'll PM if someone reeeeaally wants the details. Anyways I'm looking for another instructing gig but I'd really prefer something a little different...Slaughter, is that aero photo firm hiring still? :haw:

I looked into getting my license through US Aviation, but I ended up choosing another school because their corporation doesn't really go with my personality and they were slightly more costly. US Aviation in Denton is a huge school that hosts mostly international students. They have some pretty big contracts with Chinese airlines and a bunch of work probably similar to slaughter's experience go with it. They also have a mandatory uniforms for all their students getting ppl and above...

Edit: Denton also sucks as a city to live in if you're older than 24. All the real entertainment and places you'd actually want to live around DFW are a couple miles from downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. You'd end up commuting an hour to do anything fun or going to work depending on where you wanted to live. That is unless you enjoy the fundamentalist Christian lifestyle that is everywhere north of loop 12.

Entone fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 10, 2013

• Locked thread