Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

State your intentions...

With aviation, that is.
I'd probably stick with loaner headsets until you're sure you're going to continue, and then it's a matter of how much you're going to be flying and what your budget is. I think if I were buying my first headset at this point, I'd go for a uflymic and a used qc15 off ebay, or a clarity aloft. But that's a big investment if you're just starting out. Nobody keeps their first headset, really. In fact, you may be able to get a used one from somebody upgrading to an A20/Zulu/Sierra or something at a nice discount. I know 10 people are going to come in here with david clark's and disagree with me, but they are the (vocal) minority. The nice thing about the more expensive headsets is they hold value really really well, so if it doesn't work out, you can get out of them pretty easily.

When I was first starting out, I had a Victor1 w/ ANR from tinaspilotshop.com, and it served me fairly well, it's a rebranded lightspeed older model. It was way ahead of most of the david clark's I've tried.

If flying is your career, then I guess spending $1,000 on a headset makes sense. Otherwise, a $200-400 pair of David Clarks makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

As a passenger, it's fun going into airports with parallel runways when simultaneous operations are in effect, you can watch another aircraft lock step with you all the way down to the runway.

This happened to me during my primary training. I was doing touch'n'goes at an airport shared with an air force base and apparently there was a small military trainer jet of some kind doing a high-speed low pass on the parallel runway. So here I am, with like 10 hours in my book, concentrating fully on my approach while my instructor in the right seat is giving me a play by play of the awesome action I'm missing out on.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Please let it be the TSA.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Your proctor is a loser. Congrats on your pass.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed or if it's not appropriate for the thread. I read the first post and checked back the last couple of pages.

I'm sure you've all heard about the controversy over the Texas man who has designed a gun printable on the current generation of 3-d printers. I'm skeptical of how much damage someone could do with a single shot, low caliber gun on a commercial airliner. Here is the specific quote:

Opinions? Thanks for any input you can give me.

If you want to bring down a plane there are easier ways than studying their mechanics and shooting a plastic 3D printed gun in a specific place. I believe that you'd have to be incredibly lucky to do enough damage to the plane to cause an emergency. Therefore, I think the worst thing you can do with a single shot gun on a plane is kill 1 person. 2 if you're really lucky again.

You also need to get the bullet past security. Not impossible, but not trivial.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Youre not going to get a depressurization, either, before anyone jumps to that.

I think this could be done, but to what end? People would scream, the masks would fall from the ceiling, and the pilots would dive to below 10,000 or whatever level they're trained to dive to in that scenario. Oh, and everyone aboard would get free round trip tickets for the trouble.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Our responses are publicly viewable. Properly attributed, I don't see how anyone could reasonably object to being quoted. Feel free.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How would you do that?

edit: "On the other hand, I guess if you manage to rip the wings off, there might be some trouble!"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The next time a plane is brought down in the US by malicious intent, it will be with a shoulder-fire missile within the vicinity of an airport or with some kind of remote control aircraft.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

AF447 worked perfectly. The aircraft was perfectly flyable, all the way to impact. The flight crew misinterpreted the data they still had, and then stalled the aircraft for 37,000 feet, because of a faulty training program.

see also: colgan 3407

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

News flash: pilot incompetence more likely to kill you than Bad Guys.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have a sudden and short notice chance to take a free ride from Graz to Amsterdam in a Piper Meridian with my friend. I'm incredibly tempted.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Why have you not said yes, yet?

Because of all the train fares I have to buy to take the trip. But I decided to go for it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

So I went on the trip with my friend in a Meridian and I have decided two things as a result: 1) I need to fly more, and 2) I want a Piper Meridian. Can I count on your support if I start a crowdfunding effort? I need about $1M for a nice used one and my stretch goal is another $1M for a couple year's worth of fuel and mx.

But really, it makes me wish I had the money to make a serious go of getting IFR and CPL so I could take some odd jobs here and there to get more opportunities to fly.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Richlove posted:

This is a great thread and because of it I have logged my first three hours towards my PPL this past weekend.

I have read the regulations from the FAA governing your ability to solo. I understand many CFIs administer a written pre-solo test which partially governs the CFI's endorsement required to make solo flights. Are these pre-solo tests crafted individually or are they standardized in some fashion? Also, from what I can glean from others, this usually occurs around the 20 hour mark if a student pilot demonstrates competence. Is this a true statement?

If you're training under Part 61, it's totally informal. When your CFI thinks you're ready, he endorses your book and gets out of the airplane. Part 141 might be different but I don't know much about 141.

Anecdotally, I certainly had no written test.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

FAR 61.87 States that:

:words:

My CFI drilled me every lesson on the stuff I was supposed to study, and old stuff from lessons past. It satisfies 61.87 without being a formality. For 61 schools every CFI is probably going to have a different approach though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I did a bunch of worksheets that he printed from somewhere, maybe that's what he used as a test? He kept a lot of papers in my file but I don't remember much about what he kept in there. I definitely don't remember any formalities about pre-solo stuff.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I took mine a little while after solo. I wanted to fly to the test site but it was imc :(.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Let's check the METAR...

:stare:

just steer around it :rolleyes:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...just-metre.html

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

No joy on the link, try again?

The Buffalo News has recently put up a paywall and their sites are generally a huge pile of poo poo now, but this link *might* work and I assume it is what AWSEFT meant to post: http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130606/CITYANDREGION/130609441/1010

edit: Newspaper piracy:

The Buffalo News posted:

WASHINGTON – Sen. Charles E. Schumer today urged the Federal Aviation Administration to bolster its oversight of regional airlines in wake of a recent Buffalo News report that federal aviation officials warned Colgan Air executives about safety problems six months before the crash of the airline’s Flight 3407 in Clarence in 2009, but failed to follow up on that warning.

In a letter to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta, Schumer noted that a National Transportation Safety Board investigation found that the FAA’s principal operations inspector for Colgan was not fully familiar with the model of plane that eventually crashed in Clarence – and that four years later, the FAA still hasn’t bolstered training for its inspectors even though the NTSB has recommended it do so.

“I was saddened and angered by the Buffalo News report that revealed there were serious red flags regarding Colgan Air’s safety before the Flight 3407 crash, and was alarmed to discover that the FAA still has not satisfied the NTSB that their Safety Inspectors have the proper training or knowledge needed to work on the flights to which they are assigned,” said Schumer, D-N.Y.

In the letter, Schumer asked Huerta to explain how the FAA plans to comply with that NTSB recommendation that it bolster training for its inspectors. In addition, Schumer asked Huerta what his agency is doing to make sure that regional airlines are preparing for tougher pilot qualifications and training standards that are on target to be implemented later this year.

“The revelations stemming from this recent Buffalo News report raise important questions about how the FAA and the regional airline industry are addressing a set of recommendations made by the NTSB,” as well as the Department of Transportation’s Inspector General, Schumer wrote to Huerta. “In particular, the news report provides shocking testimony from a former Colgan official that the cost-cutting ways of regional airlines lead to the hiring of inexperienced pilots and lackluster training programs.”

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Another vote for "spins are awesome" here.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

xaarman posted:

The more I read about 3407's crash, the more I think they just massively failed at a go around. They put the flaps to a takeoff oriented position (I don't know the specifics), pushed up the throttle to 75% and kept raising the nose. I think it's an example of expectations and complacency that really did them in.

Also, a related note.... going... going... and gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtlS0sxFlHk

They were not attempting a go around. They were on approach. The causes of 3407 are at this point quite well known.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I am enjoying my new job although there is a lot of time sitting around in the hotel, so if I can find a way to make the best of it (work out, play video games) I think I will be really drat happy here. I've got maybe 6 hours in the C206 now, did a bunch of landings and approaches today, it is the most nose heavy airplane I have ever flown but it isn't too tough to land nicely, you just have to flare it until your arms feel like they're going to fall off and they're in terrible pain. Some guys use the electric trim in the flare I guess and put it all the way back but that worries me in case you need to go around that you'd be at risk of trim stalling it unless you push forward really hard. I'd rather just muscle it. As a side note, I really don't like electric trim, but my trainer is forcing me to use it because it's new and I need to be proficient in everything in the airplane, and I guess he thinks the more I use it the more I'll get used to it. I don't like it because I don't know how much it's moving the trim wheel and I feel really "disconnected" from the trim and find it tough to get just the right setting. Grasping the trim wheel is so tangible and you can make such fine corrections. Also, developing a scan for glass is taking a bit of time although my approaches were OK but at times I'd be +-120 ft or so on altitude because I was messing with a checklist or something.

What is your new job exactly? Forgive me if you've mentioned it and I missed it. Are you living in a hotel indefinitely? That's like one of my fantasies.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

So, I walked into the radar lab today, and after everything was said and done, I had three (almost completely) clean training evaluation sheets, for problems 12 Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. The instructors got me on a few minor phraseology errors, mostly regarding giving exact positions rather than just a cardinal direction from a fix during coordination. I also said "Copy all," after taking a manual flight plan, instead of "roger." I'll take that. :colbert:

12 Golf, Hotel, and India await us tomorrow, followed by evals on Wednesday and Thursday. Hotel and India are supposedly designed to be real ball-kickers. We shall see.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

Boy, I don't understand a word you just said.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I feel so bad for all the kids (so many of them) who are today on ADD meds for no loving reason who will face these hurdles in the future. I hope someday the FAA realizes that their heavy-handed policies encourages people with mental disorders to go without treatment in order to keep their flight privileges. This cannot be the situation the FAA desires.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What is the best way to study for the private pilot written?

I started flying last year, but I stopped when the weather turned bad and when I decided to switch schools. I want to pass the written before I get back in the air, but every time I sit down with a book or with a bank of questions, I just get frustrated and walk away. My goal was to finish my PPL this summer, but if I don't get that test done quickly, I feel like I'm never going to get my PPL. I have an app which has a bank of about 800 questions, and I pass everything consistently except for the sections on weight&balance, performace, and instruments (things I never learned from my awful ground school/flight instructor... one of the reasons I dumped that school).

Read the FAA books and borrow/buy the King Schools syllabus from someone.

edit: Rod Machado's private pilot handbook is recommended highly by some. I read it and found it to be a little juvenile but maybe he can help keep your interest.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cairo, Egypt. A couple nights ago during huge protests there. They are demanding their new president resign by Tuesday evening.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

as every pilot in the universe has gotten motion sick at some point.

speak for yourself, buddy :colbert:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

Anyone else heading to Oshkosh in a few weeks?

If all goes to plan I am bringing the Lazair down to do a bit of flying.

Oh, well this answers my question from the ultralight thread :v:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

At least you caught it before the big windmill up front stopped spinning. :v:

WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

Silly question from someone who knows very little about aviation but a fair bit about GPS: one of the main reasons for WAAS is to provide precise location data to aircraft, which is generally does to about 1 meter accuracy. Most commercial aircraft are a lot bigger than 1 meter. What point on the aircraft body is usually counted as "the" location of the aircraft for the purpose of determining precise altitude and location?

Hah. This is an interesting question. And now it will bother me until I find out.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Do most large jetliners have radar to measure actual AGL at low levels?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Then the location of the GPS antenna vertically doesn't matter much at the lower levels of instrument approach.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I saw a video of an aerobatics routine in which the pilot held the plane nearly stationary in space for a 5-10 seconds at a time. It took a LOT of control input, and it was very impressive. I tried to find it just now but I didn't have any luck.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably some supermanuverability demo from a Russian jet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbOs0vgYOA&t=95s

Its really an optical illusion, its still moving forward.

No, it was an aerobatic single engine prop airplane.

Youtube is so littered with RC stunt videos I can't find the real one I'm talking about. But I guess as a proof of concept, any of the RC videos should suffice. They have far higher thrust:weight ratios than most real planes though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

This is interesting. Are there any other general traits of the flight crew of other airlines that you guys notice?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ProFootballGuy posted:

Unfortunately my learning style is "gently caress it up 5 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up twice more, then it finally starts to click." A bit frustrating to perform horribly, but that's the purpose of being a student I guess.

...until you're trying to get cleared for solo and your learning style becomes: gently caress it up 15 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up 14 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up 13 times, sleep on it, and so on.

I think it's pretty normal to be as excited as you are though, so don't worry about that. Did you get your medical yet? You'll need it sooner than you think and it would be best not to get any surprises right before you are cleared to solo.

azflyboy posted:

along with a very manly Johnson bar for the flaps.

I love Johnson bars. I wonder what Dr. Freud would say about us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you get to do spins, you're gonna poo poo your pants with delight based on how much fun you seem to think regular stalls are.

• Locked thread