Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Oh dear, paging through this book, it is bad.

So, you can be any faith, but if you're not Roman Catholic you probably won't get to play the adventure, and also only Catholics get actual responses to prayer. Because they're right.

Oh good! I know that in my gaming career, I've always wanted mechanics for drinking water and getting the liquid shits for a day.

As for the Snorri and Katrina storyline ...

Yes, if for some unfathomable reason you actually follow these people into their disgusting hovel, Katrina will make sure everybody in the group gets a gander. "Hey, check out my moldy pussy!"

And this is very important, because

Plot-crucial information depends on someone taking one for the team and loving her.

Let's see, what else do we have here ...

Oh good! Orcs!

That's right, if your players start to get antsy, give them some brown people to slaughter. That'll perk 'em up!

I can't keep reading this sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

idk if i'll

be able to get over the fact

that we are on the matriarchal craftworld of vagisil

Context. Please, please, context. It can only make it funnier.

Tax:

quote:

I've gotten it into my head to play an artificer tinkerer girl with a focus on (a) overeducated-academic sort of cute frazzled awkward perpetual postgrad researcher/inventor perversion, and (b) sizeplay and/or petplay with smaller and/or anthro assistants (literal lab rats or the like).

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Otisburg posted:

Context: Creator response to criticism of "Urban Heroes," a superhero RPG on Kickstarter featuring, among other things, "Pussy Destroyer"-- a "feminist superhero" with giant vagina dentata for a face and "rape me" written across her bare breasts.

Apparently, Pussy Destroyers is a superteam, and allegedly, "the other members of the team are a topless sinister nun in garters and stockings (who has No Religion painted on her bare breasts) and a random giant naked lady." I can't seem to find the preview that has these, though, and the arts of the vagina-faced super that I'm able to find just googling, it just looks like a mouth.

There's more creator response in that thread, too:

A reasonable poster, for once posted:

I am guessing we fell prey to a marketing ploy.
Before this thread, the kickstarter was probably going to fail, now it is probably going to succeed... all thanks to the controversy.

This game is doing the hobby an active disservice imho. We already have plenty of games with sexist artwork ( I was on their site... big boobed women in sultry poses abound, muscled males, nearly no characters with a skincolour other than "white"). More are not needed. Claiming to be against isms is not the same as actually doing something about it.

Creator posted:

Please before talking take a look: we have any kind of ethnical characters in our game, males and females, bisex,straight and homosex (we have asians, african-american, african-european, indian, african, caucasian).
Many of them are very important charcaters too (Liberdad which is the leder of one of the most important anarchist team, the Leakers, is a spanish afro-european who helped Aung San Suu Kyi in her fight for freedom in our backstory).
Heavy muscled men and women (as well as some sexy outfits you mentioned; take a look at Manuel Bracchi illustrations which are ON PURPOSE all extremely and innaurally muscular) are the direct product of our tv and internet advertisment which is made on purpose to destroyy human will and distrct you from the important things happening in the real world (and as well distracted many people here!).
Try and switch your TV on, report what you see. We do not want to depict the "superhero world of our dreams" but ones that's more likely similar to ours.
We do portray this corrupt and filthy world in our game (pagination is made as if everything is presented through a big made up social network) trying to denounce such behaviors thorough the metaphorical use of super beings.

Criticism is one thing, boycotting by reporting untrue facts is different. Please no more lies about #URBANHEROES

-RIOT NOW-

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
That sounds less like grog and more like a legitimately interesting story.

Thread about whether Orcs or Drow make better waifus posted:

That's retarded. White women are EASILY the least attractive of any race IMHO. Nothing to do with skin tone, only facial features. In fact I love alabaster skin. But when it comes to exotic beauty white girls fall short.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Can someone explain what exactly a "storygame" is, in the context of all this nonsense starting from the beginning of the thread?

Grog tax, hoping it doesn't overshadow, because drat:

The thread OP posted:

Facts about elves:

Fact 1: Elf population dynamics are purely exponential, since they have no expiry date. This means that starting with a population of 10 elves, and assuming elves start mating at a relatively young age, and thereafter breed continuously, it would take them about 200 years to reach current human population using simple exponential population dynamics. This is compared to the hundreds of thousands of years it took for humans.
Fact 2: Elves have the most potential for technological advancement. They spend the least amount of their lives without skills and have the lowest loss of quality-adjusted years of life to aging. They also can't genetically modify themselves to require less sustenance with ease due to their population structure.
Facts 1 & 2 lead to fact 3: Elves are, in fact, the one race most likely to drive an intergalactic empire of exploitation. Spreading and acquiring resources endlessly to counterbalance their population growth, they're known to devour the minerals of entire planets with their incredibly advanced technology, while glassing and then rapidly terraforming other suitable ones to host endless hordes of elven colonists.

A response posted:

You can't model its' motives and actions realistically. By the time we're 60+, at the peak of our breadth of experience, our minds begin to decay.

We lack the means to accurately extrapolate how a centuries-old mind might think, let alone beyond that.

Tolkien made elves Mary Sues because he was an anti-industrial treehugger. But as OP noticed, a long-lived race would have the greatest trend towards technological development.

We see this in real life. Blacks have the shortest life-spans and least tech development. Asians and whites have the longest life-spans and the most tech development. (emphasis added)

A body will naturally favor k or r type survival strategies based on its' own span. If you're not going to be around for long then it makes more sense for you to act in a, "gently caress the future, I want all I can get now" fashion. If you are going to be around for long then it makes since to act in a, "I can wait on returns to get greater returns" fashion. Hence the comparative violence and cooperation of races.

If this trend continued without a cap or change then elves might seem like extreme sissies to other races. Always backing down from fights to avoid loss. On the flipside, as they've the best weapons they might seem the cruelest: killing many because the lives of savages mean nothing to them.

A voice of reason replies posted:

In your rampant racism, you confuse correlation with causation. All these trends are much better explained by socioeconomic status: rich people live longer and gravitate towards the sciences more, and for complex historical reasons I won't get into much, whites and Asians tend to live in better places than Africans.

It is hard to model what such a long-lived species would do, but we can probably assume much more caution, as well as a tendency to hold on hard to what they have (farmland would be a huge issue for a species which easily runs the risk of overpopulation).

The rebuttal posted:

"socioeconomic status"

No.

The greatest corollaries to violent crime is race. Controlling for education, age, wealth, and neighborhood it's still race.

We have plenty of rich blacks in the US and abroad who have not, "gravitated towards the sciences". Neither Jay-Z nor his kids have invented anything.

"whites and Asians tend to live in better places than Africans"

Horse poo poo.

Africa has the largest iron deposits in the entire world yet blacks never had an iron age.

Meanwhile, Europeans survived an ice age in the coldest part of the world anyone lived saved inuits.

As for our fantasy-projection, that's why I'm of two minds on the subject. On the one hand, their superiority and the breath-short lives of other races would make them able and willing to just take whatever they wanted from other races regardless of loss of life. But their abundance of wealth and longer-term view may also make them more willing to suffer immigration to their lands and try to help the plight of their, "little round-eared brothers".

It just goes on like this.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

kingcom posted:

I wanted to share something I noticed with my usual Pathfinder group. Succubi, who are immortal soul-beings that use sex as a weapon, aren't immune to disease. Let that sink in for a moment. More likely than not, most succubi die of incurable sexually transmitted diseases.

In fact, most outsiders probably do, especially evil ones who are generally good at spreading diseases but crap at curing them (there's a few evil outsiders that can use things like wishes to mimic a remove disease or heal spell, but they are few and often quite limited).

This means a succubus who is old and powerful is likewise probably long since completely insane due to things like syphilis destroying her mind and body. In fact, if they're not antipaladins, it's likely that most succubi who are actually good at being succubi and contacting other people's bodies are probably walking cesspools of things that you definitely do not want.

On the plus side they're immune to poison. Or it would be a plus side. I'm pretty sure lots of succubi likely regret this, since it means they can't just kill themselves after they've been turned into a walking colony of STDs and their fingers are falling off from leprosy. (>_<)

Or maybe that's how they cure themselves. Go a seducin', then go and drink 20 gallons of bleach and start over?

This doesn't seem groggy to me at all. If anything, seems like a good candidate for the Murphy's Rules thread. That's genuinely hilarious.

Now, is this grog? I'm not sure. Feels like it. A new publisher called Universal Horizons attempted to patent the process of converting a character from one system to another. It got shot down. They've been deleting comments, too.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Okay, given the involvement of known scam artists, I'd really like to know if this is just an OGL dump, or if this existing means Paizo's been involved or has approved it.

tax:

quote:

IMO, 4e hardly feels like D&D anymore. but that's just my opinion.

You can adequately describe it as "Someone took the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords and turned it into a single-unit wargame"
It's a heavily gamist system, with absolute gently caress all as far as good systems for narrativism, but It's fun enough and serves it's purpose as a table top dungeon crawling combat game.

In 4e your leveling and class traits are basically picking a ToB Maneuver or Spell every other level, and a feat every level you don't get a power.
These powers can be either used At-will, once every fight (regardless of time between), or once a day.
Everything is clearly typed out and every ability boils down into "Damage + Status" and "Ability Modifier vs. one of 4 flavors of AC"
Status effects are all type-cast like that of a MTG card effect.

Like I said, It's great for what it is, and much more balanced (because it hardly gives you any room for min-maxing or optimization), but it's just not the system for me because it's too simple and I get the same thing out of it as playing one of the many 4e-based video games on the computer.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

GTD Aquitaine posted:

Oh boy, I can finally pay some grog tax!

quote:

James Wyatt, the designer of the latest Dungeons & Dragons starter set, is trumpeting how progressive the game’s values are:

[snip summary of how characters "don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender" in the latest AD&D set]

And what could possibly be more authentically faux medieval than that?

[snip comic page boasting about the worship of evil]

No doubt you are wondering ‘Didn’t John C. Wright, famed international author and curmudgeon, just use that picture yesterday to underscore some point about Leftist crazies forcing Catholics to pay for abortifacient contraceptives and calling their unwillingness to do so a war on women?’

Yes, well the picture is appropriate today as well, now that gamer crazies are trying to manipulate kiddie ideas about decency and perversion in sex in a game otherwise concerned with spelunking robbers who slay monsters.

The picture is appropriate every day. Just in case you forget, the insanity from the Left never stops.

It. Just. Never. Stops.

Don't snip the book piece, that's a great thing.

Don't have to buy into the gender binary in elfgame, create the character you want to play, this is good. Laudable. But then the part where futa elfs are canon, well ...

More grog in the comments, too.

quote:

I don’t know; I’ve followed Wyatt’s stuff on and off since he was a freelancer, and he’s always had a liberal streak. :)

And remember that both companies are headquartered in the People’s Republic of Greater Seattle.

There’s a very noisy GLBTQETC. contingent in the gaming hobby. I’m currently on notice at one major forum after publicly declaring I agree with Catholic teaching on sexual matters.

But I was feeling skeptical on 5E anyway. OTOH, given the noisiness I mentioned, this could be the equivalent of protection money.

quote:

Since they’re always adding letters anyway, and since, to the modern mind, mockery is the most powerful form of criticism, I always start with LGBT and then just add a string of random letters. LGBTQXFRMZ.

I think Mike Adams refers to them as GiBLeTs, which is pretty good too. I admire his courage, to remain deep in enemy territory and continue the resistance. http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/

quote:

Ugh. You know, if people want to play whatever in RPGs I’m fine with it. It is a game, after all, but having this clunky statement in character creation is not only pointless its offensive.

Different groups are all over the place in terms of maturity level, in an astounding number of areas. I’ve had groups that were completely fine with cold blooded torture (either from the villains or the protagonists, different times) yet got squeamish at even flirting with the patrons in a bar. (Male and female player characters)

Other groups might not mind sexual content in the game, yet have issues with violence. (Why they were playing D&D, the game that rewards being murder hobos with experience is another story)

And of course, there are also the groups that are made up of fairly young children, who shouldn’t be seeing crap like that anyway. (I can’t find the link now, but there was an artist whose kid wanted to play D&D for his 8th birthday, so the dad made simplified kid versions of classic D&D characters then ran a game using the 4th edition rules for everything else)

Bottom line, the assumption is you can do whatever until the guy in charge says you can’t. Wyatt saying this does nothing besides attempt to earn brownie points because in the end he has no say on what actually happens at a single solitary table.

kafziel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 4, 2014

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

FMguru posted:

It's been a while since we've had an RPG designed by an actual schizophrenic come to light. Somebody should hook Drizzt Moonshadow up with the guy behind HYBRID.

I like how this is just a big pile of overcomplicated math with way too many variables - really, logarithmic exponents? - and then suddenly whoops, let's drop something really racist at the end. Comes out of nowhere.

tax:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Thanlis posted:

Concept.

Players create characters belonging to a black ops multinational unit. Officially its purpose is one of counter terrorism etc. Unofficially the unit acts as an instrument of vengeance for any and all countries within the United nations. The black ops unit however is under no jurisdiction other than its own and the commander put in place via a vote.

Anytime a terrorist cell, militant group, gangs, rebels etc acts against one of these countries they become a target.

The black ops unit then sends in a small team 2-5 highly trained, elite operatives from various special forces and from different countries involved. These agents will then proceed to terrorise there targets as they have innocent civilians. Friends and family of targets are the first to be eliminated before they themselves are put down for good. This acts as a deterrent for others to take his place and ending the groups activities.

It's supposed to be a dark, mature themed action rpg. I know some of the themes can be a touchy subject for any one affected by atrocities committed by evil individuals and groups and in know way is this intended to offend.

The idea came to me after reading/ watching horrific crimes, massacres etc in foreign countries by militant groups. I thought to my self how would they like it, probably not at all. Then onto thoughts of how revenge is best served to people like that, when the justice system fails to do so.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

tax: more Vice article stuff!

quote:

I was shown this poorly written article today by a friend. What the gently caress? Who are these imaginary people who create such elaborate fantasies of being word-raped by their DM? I feel a need to discuss this.

Non-clickbait link provided to the article's content. I didn't alter the text, not even to correct the bad grammar or misspellings.
http://pastebin.com/XRkTMudP

So, I know female players are rare but this is a fairly large group that can post anonymously and could theoretically post honestly. Have you ever seen this happen? Or anything even similar? I haven't and I've run near 100 campaigns and several con events, hell even ran a Pen and Paper club in college.

Secondly, have you ever met a female player who didn't start playing because her boyfriend was playing? I have once, and that player married someone in the group within two years.

quote:

Haven't read article, but I've never met a female who was, on her own, interested in something nerdy. It has *always* been because a boyfriend/dad/sibiling/crush was interested in it

quote:

As some minor context, a woman who decided to comment about this on another forum claimed that she once played in a game that STARTED with her being raped. I need to find out where these lies start. Why do women tell them? I can't imagine any game starting in such a way just by complete surprise. There has to be some kind of special place these people gather to practice this horseshit.

If anyone can provide some kind of context for their claims of DM word-rape, I'd really be interested.

quote:

Well, I've met female programmers and engineers that got into those purely for the money and desire to be relatively lazy. In terms of hobbies though, I'd really only encountered one female who joined my games that wasn't dating anyone at the time.

But I guess that detracts from the real issue. Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing actually take place? Women don't seem to have the ability to keep things in context or avoid inflating the truth for attention.

If any chicks want to post stories, that's fine. Here we're more or less just incredulous that you're actually women. But keep them believable.

quote:

This article is hilarious; does this happen in the real life? Every girl I have ever seen do nerdy poo poo of her own accord is rapey as gently caress (going by their definition of "word rape") and obsessed with necrobestial smut.

Where do I get my article and click bait while a fellow victim helps me recount the horrible tales of being forced to endure terribad twilight roleplay shoe-horned into my Sci Fi setting?

quote:

Make poo poo up and be sure to blame people for being white and male. You'll make hundreds.

For another way of thinking about the article' notice how the male author is quick to point out that he's married but also calls most gamers neckbeards and worse throughout the article. It's like he really wants us to believe he's married and that gamers besides him are the most cliched stereotype conceivable.

I'm not even picking and choosing, this is just the first six posts.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

I can create any character concept I desire with 5e.

Because the rules are not the game.

When you learn this, you will probably enjoy all versions of D&D more.

This ... doesn't sound groggy at all? That seems like a pretty sensible opinion.

Tax: Some people seriously trying to defend being total shits to girl gamers just for being girls. Because we're the REAL victims, guys.

quote:

Most nerds, have no social skills.
Most nerds, are outcast.
Now, I am talking the real nerds. The ones that noone really likes to hang with other than themselves.
So, you have this group of introverted males who only have each other.
Then, this (normally) fugly bitch comes along. Half of your bros wind up going crazy over the fact that she's a girl.
She only came to the group because she wanted to be a celebrity. She isn't one of us! Wtf Guys?! Wtf?! The bitch is loving everything up!
And now, she's driving splinters between us. We can't loving play d&d with our slaves anymore? I mean? wtf? and now we have to be politically correct? gently caress you guys! and gently caress that hosebeast from the pit of the 999 layers of hell!

quote:

I transferred schools twice to deal with being 'a little uncomfortable' about the vitriol that was thrown at me when I was a kid for liking the wrong things. The problem is I had no point of reference for other people not being shitbags. As far as I was concerned, anyone that was showing an interest in one of my hobbies was trying to find an angle to gently caress with me, because every other occasion it had happened had turned out that way.
"Hey, what are you reading?"
"Oh it's this really cool series about people that ride dragons that's kind of a fantasy series but it's actually science fiction!
"You would like something like that you nerd loving nerd, why are you even here? Nobody wants you around, why don't you just go read your book and die?"
After several years you learn to skip the bullshit and tell people to gently caress off, but you start to feel superior because you've got this whole world at your fingertips that they'll never touch. And then they start touching it. The game you love changes its rules to be more accommodating. The book you read to cry yourself to sleep gets a movie adaptation that changes everything you loved about the universe. The one friend you found who shared your passions is suddenly interested in this girl who keeps hanging around and asking you the same questions that everyone else did and she won't just go away.

Surely you can see how it would be easy to get angry about all that? To want to lash out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
And of course the reply and follow-up.

quote:

Whole story concept is about a male and female apprentices, so it is an essential part of a story. You will have one male and one female charachter to role-play simultaneously.
Also, i don't really quite understand you attitude toward a female charachters, why you hate them (smile)

quote:

Oh crap, that's really bad news, pretty much ruined it for me.

I really wish developers would stop pandering to vulgar sexuality and heteronormativity already.
Overwhelming majority of gamers are male and only 18% played as female Shepard in Mass Effect 3, which was the most mainstream marketed game ever. Can't they take a hint from raw data already?

P.S.
I quite clearly explained why I hate them in the opening post, can't you read?

• Locked thread