Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

FMguru posted:

7TH SEA's most egregious rules failure was how it became the classic example of "special points can be used for cool game effects OR experience points" so that they encourage players to be as dull as possible to maximize their power climb and I'm pretty sure that one is alllll on Wick (made worse with such typically Wickian flourishes as "you start out weak as a kitten" and "heroes are fools and the universe will smack you down").

I think that someone mentioned in the Murphy's Rules thread that this actually was unintentional on Wick's part, since he used to hand the points out like candy but other GM's didn't. Because the books aren't that clear on how it's supposed to be run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

Would that necessarily make much of a difference up until it becomes moot because you don't have anything left to spend xp on? I don't recall a capping or depreciation mechanism for these hero-xp points.

I think it's one of those mechanics that only make sense if there's a sort of agreement between the GM and the players on how the points are handed out and how you're expected to spend them. 7th Sea is such a mess.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The difference is that if the players in Unknown Armies ever do find a way to topple a character like the Freak then I'm pretty sure that neither John Tynes or Greg Stolze would throw a hissy fit and tell you how no, you actually failed because their super-special NPC is better than you, they'd go "Awesome, congratulations...now what?"

There's also the thing that the Freak does it's own stuff and Saint-Germain can do pretty much whatever. They're not tied to a metaplot so just ignoring them is perfectly valid and easy.

Death to metaplots.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Is it just me or does someone else feel like The Everlasting should be a game about boxing gear?

• Locked thread