Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Is that a Horseshoe crab-shaped shield?

Edit: and there's gaps where the artist forgot to fill in with white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly this (along with the not-so-subtle racism and pure loving idiocy "Why the hell ancient people use Mercury? it's only use in high-tech durr") is why I detest the Ancient Astronaut pseudoscience.

Lot of White Wolf's problem is... like Scion or the Black Furies here, a fantastic concept hampered by really shoddy writing and their brand of (insert culture/ethnicity)sploitation for the sole purpose of giving an air of 'exoticism'.

EDIT: and the immature way they handle sex and sexuality.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So it's badly structured, harder then it should be for the expected character levels, and the gently caress yous aren't even interesting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Someone needs to slap the fiendish template out of their hands.

EDIT:

That explains SO much about both the boring monster variety and staggering high monster levels
vvv

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 24, 2013

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

hectorgrey posted:

By the way, since someone's currently doing a write-up of Forgotten Realms, I was wondering if anyone felt like doing one for Eberron. I've heard bits and pieces, and those bits and pieces interest me greatly.

can't do it myself, but I second the suggestion. Eberron was a setting that has bits and pieces I like but the whole set didn't appeal for reasons I can't explain.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I - what the gently caress was that formula poo poo doing in there?

Least the abortion bit isn't as cringe-worthy as I feared it'd be, considering WW's track record.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What long-winded rant that boils down to "tits or GTFO".

I'm just glad they didn't get into vaccines or castration, I suppose. But preachy baby advice is probably under "things you never, ever need in a game".

definitely not - babies/pregnancy and gaming very rarely go well together and this sidebar is just as jarring as if the writer went on a rant about the evils of the unregulated market or whatnot.

And honestly, some of it's implications considering female metis less female because they're barren and 'crone if you can no longer children' makes me highly uncomfortable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are there any examples of TV shows doing episodes where breastfeeding kills infants? I honestly don't think I have ever seen that ever.

I've seen a Law and Order where a girl claims it did kill her baby. But it's Law and Order.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I knew the early edition had some wonky issues with female characters, but that's exactly the kind of rules made for men who never even talked to a woman before.

With that charm humanoid monster, why would someone bother using it with the better then good odds of getting kidnapped?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh boy Ryuutama. I hope other people like this as much as I do.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

seriously the art is adorable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kurieg posted:

More RPGs need a spell like Knights of Cleansing.

Real Life needs Knights of Cleansing. I HATE doing laundry.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's kind of embarrassing when I played it that this is the first time I looked at the spell list, boy did I miss out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pospysyl posted:

Tribebook: Bone Gnawers

I'm not sure what's the best part, that the GENERAL LEE is a totem spirit, or the LARP rules for rite of pizza. Bone Gnawers really are the best tribe.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Amechra posted:

Well, if you think of it, the BFG kinda counts as a kid and their monsters.

And the Witches would definitely fit in...

glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the Witches could work as a backbone to a game session

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well it'd certainly drive any Vegans mad, and probably to starve to death. It certainly apply something I personally find fairly annoying - the Tryhard shock and awe style of edginess. Human Sacrifices? Psh, let's make a battery that runs off of babies!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I have to second at the surprise at the lack of Holt among it's Auspol names.

But - wow that's just all over awful and I learned things about marsupial reproduction that I have no need to ever know and makes the book even more hosed up.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 30, 2013

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FourmyleCircus posted:

Lawyers, to sue Disney for W.I.T.C.H. and Sofia the First.

Suing the High Emperor of Copyright Protection? Good loving luck with that Harris.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Christ, that's some especially bad photoshop and I bet they didn't get permission to use those photos.

And "Please refer to another" book is the bane of my gaming since, really, they're not cheap.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AccidentalHipster posted:

"Please refer to another book" is one of the cardinal sins of RPG making. Two that really stand out in my memory for loving gamers over especially badly with it are the Dragon Age RPGs which split up the game line by level groups and never really got very far (or get there very quickly) because nobody wants to buy a blatantly incomplete game and Vampire: Undeath which (if memory serves) asked you to refer to no less than 9 other books that not only weren't even in production, but never will enter production because of a cease and desist from White Wolf.

And considering RPG books back when I was playing (before PDFs became more prevelant) were $20-$50 a pop, which made it a stupidly expensive hobby

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Adnachiel posted:

I like to be thorough. Unfortunately, I am probably the foremost expert on this game outside of Channel M now. :sigh:

More WGA Nonsense

Muses: My first thought "That's a good way to piss off everyone else at the table" considering how few people are able to do haikus or rhymes on the fly. Secondly, muses aren't just about singing and poetry.

Music: Of course humans have nothing to do with music's creation.

St. Joan: Yeeet another potentially interesting bit ruined because of the need to coddle those who can't stand facing consequences for actions.

And again they can't keep their setting consistent.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm sure this game will be poo poo, but goddamn if I don't love that Gothic Bollywood art they chose for the cover.

Please tell me that's not what written in the actual book. :gonk:

I wouldn't be surprised if it is considering 90s WoD aesthetics. Doesn't help for me every time I see anything pearl-handled, I think of Patton's quote: "Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly have to agree, save the vile for the absolute worst of the worst, like the creators of WGA, FATAL, and whoever wrote the Exalted Infernals book

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bieeardo posted:

I would have started looking for the lighter fluid at the first mention of Campbell. I'd have gone to the 7-11 for a bottle by the third. Good god.

Seriously. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE HERO'S JOURNEY.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

gently caress Campbell and the license for intellectual laziness he gave to a thousand thousand genre writers. :mad:

For real, it doesn't help George Lucas retroactively claimed he was following Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces for intellectual cred.

It's depressing how many writes take it as the only way to tell a story.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And it looks like you can convert the setting to something like Tiger & Bunny, or classic X-Men if you don't want to play secret agents. Man, I hope this gets an official English release like TBZ and Ryuutama

EDIT: Oh there is an English book! Will order when I can get the funds.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 7, 2013

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Traveller posted:

or Almogavers (Catalan :black101:, no seriously this thing is in loving Catalan)?

I'm always interested in foreign tabletop games.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well just ordered Double Cross.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So Exiles turn Overds into Sea Cucumbers?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And also consider when you have events like the burning of the Library of Alexandria - we still have no idea of what the total inventory was in there, so we're still in the dark about what sciences and technology learned people of that era actually knew and what we were missing.

So a major loss of technology is not that farfetched, it's just has to be both adequately explained and a reasonable time frame for knowledge to decay, be misconstrued, then forgotten.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Then you also have Heron of Alexandra's devices, steam engines, prototype syringes etc - most of it was lost in the European world, and only a few preserved in the Arabic world.

What I think most setting of that type need to do is less "Oh god, these ancient devices of the ancients are evil and must be kept away" or "The only resurrect-able pieces are WMDs" and more "Can we do something with this to improve our lives?"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Barudak posted:

Edit: I'm beaten but basically we're all in agreement; Ancient things in fantasy settings should be valuable because they are old, artistic, and possibly insightful. Its a rather tired trope that everything in the past was better and more powerful and unreverse-engineerable.

I think we can blame the Renaissance for this, since they viewed the Classical era as the peak of humanity, with the Medieval period being the bad old time where everyone dropped dead of plague, were illiterate blathering idiots and scramble in the dirt.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Barudak posted:

I also, you know, hate magic can do anything mundane can do but better and faster.

Funny how Baldur's Gate of all things made the best argument against relying on magic in one throwaway line: "So the Wizard said, 'Even if I created a twenty foot high wall of iron, what prevents someone else from making it disappear?'" not enough settings seem to take in mind of the ephemeral nature of magic.

It should be treated as amazing, but unreliable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That is one goddamn smug elf - I think this is what people think of when they say "I do not like elves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Have to second spacing it out.

I admit I take guilty pleasure in works along the lines of Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell, but none of the descriptions are remotely appealing even picturing them in those styles.

But eesh - I was expecting the worst with that oh so classy clitoris in the game's title, it was about as subtle as a brick to the face. I'm not sure how it managed to be worse then the book of erotic fantasy, but it is.

And what's worse is that there's... a couple of nice ideas buried in that crap.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 24, 2013

• Locked thread