Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Tasoth posted:

So how does Eclipse Phase deal with the immortal people and the fact that in their dying moments they get to realize that they're still going to die? That's always one of the things that I thought was funny about transhumanists. They're all for uploading their minds into machines to beat death, but they don't realize they themselves are still going to die but now with the knowledge of a replica of them living on. But I'm kind of missing the point of EP with this rant.

Not really. Given that the official adventure for Eclipse Phase is called 'Continuity', asking those questions isn't out of bounds with EP at all, nor with the books that Eclipse Phase is based on: the Kovacs trilogy by Richard K. Morgan, etc. It's all about questioning continuity of existence, whether that person is really you, and so on and so forth. Actually considering the old Star Trek question of what really happens when you jump into the transporter.

Kellsterik posted:

Yeah, I always felt like I was missing something with forking in EP and related concepts in other media. Your consciousness still comes to an end, right? How is that not dying?

You're missing the point in that this is exactly the point, yes. Whether or not this is true comes down to philosophical differences. Your consciousness doesn't come to an end - someone with the exact same consciousness continues to exist. But a specific perspective may very well cease to be, yes, and to that specific perspective, what exactly is the difference? These are the sort of questions that are actually brought up in these stories. They're not blind Nerd Rapture settings, they welcome this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

I'm remembering this secondhand, but wasn't there an NPC who was depicted as the always prepared, contingency plan for everything type, to the point that his statblock said that if the PCs do manage to outsmart him you should pause for a few minutes to think of a way out?

Yes. I don't even have to check. It's a Wick game, so the answer is yes. I think he was a NotItalian in 7th Sea, Giovanni Villainova or something. They were the Scorpion Clan of Theah.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Giovanni Villanova I don't think had a 'cheat' instruction; that was the Spanish science genius that was also in the evil conspiracy.

You're right, I was conflating two characters. Villanova was the 'character who openly revels in their villainy' Wick archetype, not the Impossible To Overcome or Defeat one.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I don't really give a poo poo about historically-accurate ships, but I did find it really dumb that I needed to forget what I knew about the actual Age of Sail and actual geography in a game where I accidentally said 'France' instead of 'Montaigne' half of the time anyway.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I remember Wick waging a one-man war on rpg.net to prove that Diplomacy was the actual first RPG, because of how much he personally disliked Dungeons & Dragons. When I saw this section in Houses of the Blooded for the first time, I couldn't help but completely lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm not a big fan of JoJo's, but looking at a wiki it seems to me your guy is straight-up a pure-breed Exile. Growing swords out of ribs, changing the location of vital organs to avoid damage, absorbing dudes into your body and detaching body parts are the very specialties of an Exile. If you want, you can describe the abilities and when we reach the powers I'll try and give examples that relate.

Yeah, Santana is flat-out an Exile. Esidisi would be Bram Stoker/Exile and Kars would be Angel Halo/Exile. I don't see any wind/breath-based abilities in the Syndromes, so the only Pillar Man you couldn't make as a character is Wamuu. Which is unfortunate, because Wamuu is the best Pillar Man.

I was going to say 'nerding out aside', but that sounds ridiculous when you're moving from talking about manga to talking about RPGs, so: moving from one medium of nerding to another medium of nerding, Double Cross looks awesome, and I'm absolutely going to buy it unless you reveal something godawful about it soon. I love when anything in the superhuman genre tries to do something thematic with powers, instead of just being another Generic Superhero game.

• Locked thread