Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem with Possibility Points is that there's no easy way to get them. You only get more at the end of an "Act" in an adventure, and even then it's maybe 3 or 4 points. An Act in an official module was four or so scenes, each of which generally had at least one fight.

So you have to spend Possibilities to reduce damage, boost bad skill rolls, and probably be able to use your abilities and gear if you're not in your home cosm. Generally speaking you're lucky if you break even sometimes. There's no "refresh" or way to get them during play unless you're lucky enough to draw a Subplot card.

How does Torg even work? I mean, if I have spend one PP for every 15 minutes of adventuring to fire my laser rifle at a dinosaur man or move in my power armor I just don't see how that works in play. Is the adventure day limited to a couple hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

I'm beginning to think that there's something to that old canard about RPGs causing insanity, because every time Fields comes up I suffer the irrational desire to track him down and beat him to death with a golf club.

I'll drive.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: Characters.

Audience participation time! I need three characters: a wizard of some variety. A non-wizard of some variety. A less important non-wizard.

Tell me who they are.

Here's 3 of the top of my head.

Wolfgang Krieger, highly intelligent and inquisitive german wizard of House Criamon . He's a pretty devout religious man looking to find the link between God and the Gift. Richard Breten, his grizzled sergeant-at-arms (ex-mercenary) and veteran of whatever conflict occurred around that time. Gilles LeBlanc, his mild-mannered but personable steward and chief gopher for village/city supply runs.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I don't think anyone ever really explains how these things are made? Maybe it's Power-wrought, but it's just the kind of thing that you only get from the White Tower, and having one without being a Warder is a huge red flag to anyone who knows what it is.

The White Tower has a Ter'Angreal that prints out the cloth iirc.

edit: yeah here it is http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Fancloth_ter%27angreal

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 5, 2013

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I really love how most of 2nd ed psionics is poo poo, except for the few things that are just op as gently caress. That one power that just straight up absorbed all kinetic energy you came into contact with, which you could then expel in a hit meant my psioncist would get ready for battle by falling off of tall objects. :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

So if Mages can live for centuries in Ars Magicia, how does the game change if the players make it to modern times?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I'd actually really like to see Realms of Power: The Divine.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

My vote's for Burning Horizons; I'd love to see where this crazy metaplot train goes next.

This, give me my godawful metaplot fix!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Ugghhh that loving paragraph just gets me no matter how many times I read it.

Someone else can beat Chris Fields, I'll take Grau. No jury in the land will convict us.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I'd like to see the Realms of Magic sourcebook Mors.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

What exactly is Twilight anyways? Criamon seems to be big on it and I'm not following.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Neat. So unless you die by accident, disease, or violence you'll spend all of time in a crazy psychedelic journey?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I vote for Houses of Hermes: True Lineages.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

I'd like to invent a variant that protected livestock against harmful magic - witches cursing your animals, that sort of thing. I'd have to start small, with a Chicken Parma Magica.

When I find you no jury in the land will convict me. :argh:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

If I remember correctly a lot of the good psionics are came in the 2nd edition Dark Sun psionics book. It had the power that just let you straight up absorb up to an infinite amount of kinetic energy, with the one caveat that you had to release it in an attack next round or pay around 5 PSP's per round to hold onto it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Ettin posted:

I guess you could say she almost went...

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

fruity

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen, they should have sent a poet.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Listing John Wick as an influence. :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

How long can a Mage expect to live assuming they've got access to a good Longevity Ritual?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Tomb was written for two reasons:

1. A challenge to his players who considered themselves invincible, including his own son;
  2. So Gary could be "ready for those fans [players] who boasted of having mighty PCs able to best any challenge offered by the AD&D game."

So basically it boils down to "too easy, eh? I'll show them..."

At the same time, none of it as actually a "challenge" as the only way to get through it without prior knowledge is be a goddamn telepath constant scanning your dm's mind. Bullshit isn't a challenge, it's boring DM Fiat.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Spoilers Below posted:

Well, considering the target audience was the DM's son and the best D&D player ever (the guy literally responsible for Fighters not receiving any special powers or abilities, because Robilar didn't need them), I wouldn't rule out their ability to predict exactly the kind of thing Gygax was going to pull at every twist and turn.

I could get behind that, but then Gary and hundreds of others started running it against people who didn't have such luxuries. :v:

edit: Lets also not forget that Robliar's player Rob Kuntz played nearly every day in one-on-one sessions and was dripping in powerful magic items, experience, and influence.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 13, 2013

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

homeless poster posted:

IN CONCLUSION - Holy hell am I glad to be done with this. I think I was most frustrated with this book because it doesn't match at all with my childhood memories of playing a psionicist in a D&D campaign. It's definitely for the best that my friends and I basically just skimmed this book, because RAW psionicists are a terrible third wheel to wizards and clerics. Mind, this doesn't mean that they can't invalidate a rouge or fighter provided that they're built correctly, but I'm seriously disappointed at how poorly balanced this class was, and how anemically most of the mechanics were implemented. Seriously, the entire chapter on mental combat (and all related powers) could have been completely expunged from this book and the work as a whole would have been greatly improved. As it is, this book is an embarrassing testament to the heydays of TSR - it encourages groggy, antagonistic DMs and most of the powers barely function as written; other things are such bizarre niche cases that one wonders under what circumstances they were ever imagined (see: the persistent, weird obsession with involving a taste specific version of several powers). Apparently implementing psionics and psionic characters into a fantasy role playing game is the holy grail of game design for the Dungeons and Dragons team, because it took the until fourth edition before they actually created a class that was mechanically sound and fun to play.

You should really do the Dark Sun Psionics handbook next if you're up to the task, it really goes a long way to making a Psioncist an attractive character option.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Bitchtits McGee posted:

We'll never be out of it, you hypocritical sack of waste. Sure, part of me still holds out hope that you'll pull your heads out of your asses and grow the gently caress up one of these days, but I've always been stupid like that.

Meikyuu tomorrow, unless I've been banned.

Uh, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

That's right! A new book! The Contested Isle is the latest Ars Magica book to be published. It focuses on the Hibernian Tribunal - that is, Ireland. (For those interested, the next book on the publishing schedule is Transforming Mythic Europe, which will be about wizards advancing the social and technological status of the world and how it might happen, as well as the potential consequences. How many other settings give you a book on how to utterly destroy the setting?)

Yessss

I've always thought that it was kinda weird that a bunch potentially immortal (or at least long-lived) people with the ability to flip the laws of physics the bird never really enact great change upon the world.

• Locked thread